Awoo.

Are we getting too picky?

DistantJ

robotnik = villianous cold war ish sounding mechanical mastermind russian scientist-y villian name

eggman = errr a man with the form of an egg? : |

More like:

robotnik = errr a man who likes/makes robots?

eggman = errr a man with the form of an egg?

Or

Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik = no differences.

Take a pick, and stick with it...Or alternate them, whatever floats your boat.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

It's not robot man, it's robot nik. the nik part makes all the difference.

it;'s not dr "eggman" robotnik anymore, anyway and hasn't been iirc since SA2

It's not robot man, it's robot nik. the nik part makes all the difference.

If you want to be picky about, that is. (Pretty sure I had the "-nik" part when I said the name tho.)

As far as I see it, it's as silly as any other generic name with the Robot coming of as pathetic as Egg in the name.

Regardless of whatever difference you see in it, does that really make it any harder for you to call him "Robotnik" over "Eggman"? Because if so, that's quite a lazy effort to make with there being just one step in calling him "Robotnik".

it;'s not dr "eggman" robotnik anymore, anyway and hasn't been iirc since SA2

Yes it is. And it still remains that way as recently as Unleashed (read the instruction booklet).

And if you choose not to acknolwedge the booklet, there's still nothing that negates the fact that both names are for the same single character. While they may use Eggman way more than Robotnik, that doesn't make any impact on either name regardless.

Either way, Dr. "Eggman" Robotnik it remains, and it really wouldn't make the slightest difference in which one was used. Every fan knows about both names, so it's quite silly to put pressure in one name over the other.

It's all in personal tastes, so as I said, take your pick and leave it at that.

robotnik = villianous cold war ish sounding mechanical mastermind russian scientist-y villian name

eggman = errr a man with the form of an egg? : |

Hasn't it been like that since the beginning in the japanese continuity? Besides, it's not as if he'll act differently depending on the name that he goes by, and isn't that what's most important about a character?

Eggman doesn't sound any more threatening than the Penguin.

Honestly.

Honestly.

To be fair, when was Eggman a threat? The only time when he seemed to threaten anyone in the games was in Sonic Adventure when he tried to destroy station square and in Sonic Adventure 2 when he threatened to destroy the world if it didn't surrender. Every other time no one seemed to be endangered by his schemes except if he accidentally unleashed the monster of the week.

It is arguable that the animals were endangered when they were used as the badnik's power sources, however when they were freed no harm seemed to have been done to them. In fact, judging by E-102's story in Sonic Adventure, the flickies still have some sort of control over themselves while they are in the badniks, as shown by Gamma's rebellion, unless I'm forgetting a specific detail that made Gamma act like he did later in the story.

I'd like to see you cram yourself into the core of a robotic animal and tell me that it's not in the least way inconveniencing your day.

Honestly.

I'm not feeling chills up my spine from the name Robotnik either.

Come to think of it, there are lots of non-threatening names that villians use. Hell, some of them are actually just common names. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not exactly intimidated by names such as Dr. Wily (that not exactly a menacing name than it is a description), Albert, Toyman, The Riddler, Captain RazorBeard, Brainiac, Bizzaro, Amazo, etc. However you look at the names, they're still forces to be reckoned with.

Honestly, Eggman and Robotnik are no more or less threatening than the rest of them. I guess it really depends on the character's actions, cuz the names are just a way to identify the character from another one rather than to invoke fear a lot of the time. Names like Freddy Krugger don't sound very evil until you hear about the person himself.

To be fair, when was Eggman a threat? The only time when he seemed to threaten anyone in the games was in Sonic Adventure when he tried to destroy station square and in Sonic Adventure 2 when he threatened to destroy the world if it didn't surrender. Every other time no one seemed to be endangered by his schemes except if he accidentally unleashed the monster of the week.

Don't forget him cracking open the Earth just to get at Dark Gaia and defeating Super Sonic in the process...I wouldn't be laughing at anyone's name if someone did that.

I'd like to see you cram yourself into the core of a robotic animal and tell me that it's not in the least way inconveniencing your day.

I never said it wouldn't be an inconvinience but it's never stated that their lives were at risk if they didn't go into the robots. Not to mention the fact that they are usualy a lot smaller than the badnik they are encased in so the space would never be so confining that they had no room to move at all, they wouldn't be much of a good power source if they just sat there and did nothing.

How the hell do you use animals to power robots anyway? :huh:

Ya know what, it's Sonic the Hedgehog. I'll leave it at that. :lol:

How the hell do you use animals to power robots anyway? :huh:

Ya know what, it's Sonic the Hedgehog. I'll leave it at that. :lol:

My guess is that if the animals can move around in the robots their movement could be used as kinetic energy, however due to the small space inside he robot that they could move in they wouldn't be able to generate much energy, however that could explain why robots such as motobug can't do much*. It wouldn't explain why some robots can do more things than others though and I'm probably looking too much into it.

* Excluding his amazing capability of being able to turn a whole 180 degrees to come back at you.

I personally prefer the name Robotnik to Eggman, but it's cold hard fact that his true name is Eggman, and that Robotnik is some random shit the American team made up for localization or some shit. I perfer it, surely, it's part of Sonic's roots as an American icon but Robotnik is still Eggman and Eggman is still Robotnik any way you slice it.

robotnikmodel.png - Robotnik.

eggman.gif - Eggman

i dunno about you guys but i'm not seeing eggman in a bikini much so i don't see how robotnik is scarier.

Oh, not to mention "Robotnik" was shown as being evil, but not being the smartest nut in the box, shown by his building of just one or two actually good robots, and sending them out one at a time. Or in SatAM, just scratch and grounder, but that's cool because they were better than sonic anyways.

"Eggman" on the other hand, has attempted to destroy a city FULL of people, blown up the moon, broken the earth apart TWICE, pretty much beat Sonic three times, and is generally super evil. He DOES do the "bulid only one" thing sometimes, but even then he seems to have several others handy for whenever.

so yeah. if you want to compare them as separate people, there ya go.

Something I feel the need to point out: Picking and choosing from individual canons doesn't really say anything. Hell, I can do it to:

SonicX26.jpg - Eggman

Dr-Robotnik-Sonic-SatAm.jpg - Robotnik

i dunno about you guys but i'm not seeing robotnik in a luchadore mask much so i don't see how eggman is scarier.

Edited by Tornado

Something I feel the need to point out: Picking and choosing from individual canons doesn't really say anything. Hell, I can do it to:

*pix*

i dunno about you guys but i'm not seeing robotnik in a luchadore mask much so i don't see how eggman is scarier.

As El Gran Gordo (or whatever), Eggman came actually kinda close to beating Sonic. With his bare hands.

so i dunno about you guys but i'm not seeing how robotnik was scarier at all

Edited by Nathan

Wow... you guys are seriously still going on with the Robotnik and Eggman thing? Here I thought we came to an understanding that they're both the same person.... deal with it maybe?

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow... you guys are seriously still going on with the Robotnik and Eggman thing? Here I thought we came to an understanding that they're both the same person.... deal with it maybe?

Agreed. Pepole just don't understand.

As El Gran Gordo (or whatever), Eggman came actually kinda close to beating Sonic. With his bare hands.

so i dunno about you guys but i'm not seeing how robotnik was scarier at all

Now guyz, this is getting out of hand.

Point being, they're the same character, and they've both done evil things and plenty of silly things as well under they're names.

For every instance Eggman/Robotnik has been incredibly goofy there are other times where Robotnik/Eggman has been incredibly evil.

The name Robotnik does nothing to send chills up my spine, and the name Eggman does not make me laugh at how silly the name is. Which ever name you're more comfortable with, I doubt it's anything to cause a fuss with over someone else.

The way I see it, all the names are meant to be symbolic first and menacing second (or not at all, as you don't need a name to be evil for the character to be evil).

are we getting too picky? after the last few pages of pointless eggman/robotnik debate, i think again the answer is yes :P

• Thumbs Up 2

are we getting too picky? after the last few pages of pointless eggman/robotnik debate, i think again the answer is yes :P

Say what you want, I had fun in that debate. B)

I also can't help but also wonder why it's a big deal. He's called "Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik" they don't hide that.

But that's the thing, they don't call him that.

No offense, but if you were paying attention, I *was* talking about the name, not over the character.

You're statement implies that the individual it is directed at believes Eggman refers to one character and Robotnik to some other character. That's the only point to specifying that they both refer to the same character.

Either way it goes it doesn't matter if they realize it, the point is that the names don't matter. So it makes no sense for anyone to waste that much energy over why his name should be (or whether his first name was) Robotnik and not Eggman. It's even more pointless when it can be solved in one easy step that causes no problem whatsoever.

So, what, it doesn't matter no matter what or it doesn't matter as long as its the one that you like? What if they were to decide to call him "Dr. Totally Vivacious" or something equally terrible?

I personally dislike the name "Eggman" because of it's terrible syllable structure and emphasis, it neither sounds good nor rolls off the tongue. It's essentially a two syllable word that puts emphasis on both syllables. Most " *** Man" names (Classic Super Heroes, for example) use multiple syllable adverbs (Superman: [soo-per-man], Iron Man: [ahy-ern] Man). "Robotnik", on the other hand, is much better in that regard, its a three syllable word with emphasis on the center syllable. Jason doesn't have much pawnch as it is (which seems to be an axiom with 4Kids actors), throwing in a word that's all but impossible to say any way other than monotone isn't helping things. Martin Burke was able to convey so much attitude every time he said "Robotnik" every time he said it, just think of the scene in the President's office.

I really don't care which was first. If that would influence anyone's choice of name, I'd expect them to also call Catterkillers "Nals" and call Buzz Bombers "Beetons"... Which reminds me; Did they seriously revive the term "Badnik" and not call him "Robotnik"?

You're statement implies that the individual it is directed at believes Eggman refers to one character and Robotnik to some other character. That's the only point to specifying that they both refer to the same character.

You're completely pulling that out of your ass, because I've made it more than obvious throughout this entire debate on what I was implying, and I've even said it out loud that the complaining over the name change is pointless when it doesn't matter which of the two names is being used. That's the reason why I said they refer to the same character, because there's no real issue over the two names to begin with.

Only problem is that those who like the name Robotnik more feel a need to justify them using it like you're doing right now, when it doesn't call for any of that to begin with.

It's like complaining over the use of the name "rock" over "stone" when they're both the same thing.

So, what, it doesn't matter no matter what or it doesn't matter as long as its the one that you like?

It doesn't matter which two names (Eggman or Robotnik) you use. Either name you prefer, they both refer to this guy:

eggman.gif

And no one else.

What if they were to decide to call him "Dr. Totally Vivacious" or something equally terrible?

I would - totally - laugh my ass off. :lol:

I personally dislike the name "Eggman" because of it's terrible syllable structure and emphasis, it neither sounds good nor rolls off the tongue. It's essentially a two syllable word that puts emphasis on both syllables. Most " *** Man" names (Classic Super Heroes, for example) use multiple syllable adverbs (Superman: [soo-per-man], Iron Man: [ahy-ern] Man). "Robotnik", on the other hand, is much better in that regard, its a three syllable word with emphasis on the center syllable. Jason doesn't have much pawnch as it is (which seems to be an axiom with 4Kids actors), throwing in a word that's all but impossible to say any way other than monotone isn't helping things. Martin Burke was able to convey so much attitude every time he said "Robotnik" every time he said it, just think of the scene in the President's office.

That is the most long winded excuse I have ever read in order to say "I like the name better". It honestly took you all that to justify using the name Robotnik? Talk about overdoing it.

Here's a little advice: Call him Robotnik. Problem solved. Doesn't take too much to do that, does it? Because I for one couldn't give half a rat's ass about the terrible syllable structure "Eggman", or anything like that.

You could've left it at the matter of you liking the name Robotnik over Eggman like Solid SOAP did. It doesn't require any more than saying it's a personal preference, like I've said several times if you were paying any attention.

I really don't care which was first.

If you don't care which was first, why do you care so much about which one is used?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a little advice: Call him Robotnik. Problem solved. Doesn't take too much to do that, does it? Because I for one couldn't give half a rat's ass about the terrible syllable structure "Eggman", or anything like that.

I'm also calling Sonic Noodlemoose

You think it took me a long time to come up with that? No, it was brutally obvious, the paragraph was the work of a moment.

And I'm not "excusing" anything. This is no different than my tirades over Unleashed's gameplay or SA 2's story or anything else.

I've even said it out loud that the complaining over the name change is pointless when it doesn't matter which of the two names is being used.

A character having a crappy name is no different than a crappy reoccurring sound effect.

I'm also calling Sonic Noodlemoose

I thought it was Needlemouse?

Neither of those are particular well known names for Sonic (well Needlemouse might be nowadays), like Blue Blur, but okay, whatever floats your boat.

You think it took me a long time to come up with that? No, it was brutally obvious, the paragraph was the work of a moment.

I never said it took you a long time to come up with that, I said you reason for justifying the use of a name is long winded; in other words, it's wordy. You're putting so much of an effort in a really simple step towards using a name.

And I'm not "excusing" anything. This is no different than my tirades over Unleashed's gameplay or SA 2's story or anything else.

It took you a large paragraph in order to say "I like the name Robotnik better". Somehow it's more difficult for you to refer to him as Robotnik than it is for other people, so much that you have to find other reason to justify something that could be seen as a really big excuse over nothing.

A character having a crappy name is no different than a crappy reoccurring sound effect.

Let me say it again, because you're not getting the point: complaining over the name change is pointless when it doesn't matter which of the two names is being used. It doesn't matter whether it's Eggman or Robotnik, they're not going to refer to any other character except this guy:

eggman.gif

Just like how Batman and Bruce Wayne refers to this guy, or how Iceman and Robert Louis Drake refers to this guy, or how Heatman refers to this guy, Gutsman to this guy, Pacman to this guy or even this guy, Rayman to this guy, X-men to these guys, etc.

A sound effect and a name are in fact two different things, but I honestly have no interest in getting in a scientific debate over that. I'll just top it off by letting you know that calling a character by his other equally known name is not rocket science.

Both names are equally crappy in my book (and others don't see either one as crappy), but I'm certainly not going to identify the egg-fanatic, overweight robotic genius as any other name besides Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik, and I don't care which of the two they use.

You on the other hand insist on blowing it up to a large issue that is really uncalled for. So you just can't just prefer Robotnik over Eggman? It's not that hard.

• Thumbs Up 1