Awoo.

Are we getting too picky?

DistantJ

I thought this game was a BRAND NEW adventure? Why the rehash of bosses and enemies, huh?!

Apparently, the advertising team who said the "new adventure" thing didn't know shit, and were just creating hype when they had little to no information. Companies that use other companies to create advertisements should be more specific and helpful in coordination, to avoid this kind of "false" advertising.

Edited by Derg

I thought this game was a BRAND NEW adventure? Why the rehash of bosses and enemies, huh?!

Excuse Plot

oh that's right, speaking of little things that people complain about with regards to sonic's appearance, his brow. yup. his brow.

That's not really the point of the analogy. The point is that image of Mario Jumpman doesn't appear to have been made with input from R&D 1 or 2.

I'm SuperStingray and I'm here to ask you a question: Is a hedgehog not entitled to the ridge of his brow?

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not really the point of the analogy. The point is that image of Mario Jumpman doesn't appear to have been made with input from R&D 1 or 2.

Did those two divisions even exist at the time? Though, of course, that art was likely made by NOA anyway.

Are we too picky? Some us most certainly are. Has anyone else heard about what happened at Sonic Retro? They actually banned all talk of Sonic 4 from the forum and IRC because there was so much whining going on about extremely trivial things, like the color of Sonic's eyes. So yes, some fans are way way WAY too picky!

Yep. I went to Sonic Retro yesterday to see if they're still posting more leaks but luckily there weren't any videos left on the forums. Anyway, it sounds pretty harsh they actually banned all talk of Sonic 4. I never went to Retro's forums but I bet they whined pretty much about the same things as people whined here, like Sonic's eyes.

I think Sonic fans, and other gamers generally, just want to see the definitive Sonic game (if I can call it that way :P) they've dreamed of since playing the classics for years. They don't want to change Sonic too much and for a reason: The core gameplay and pretty much everything else was so well done in the classic Sonic games, and there wasn't really anything in those games that would've made them...ummm...irrelevant? Yes. I guess we're just afraid all the new, never-before-seen things will ruin the series and Sonic's reputation. I bet most of us feel that has kind of happened already, but we still believe there's hope. I mean, we're not all hopeless like that and some of us don't even care if the newest Sonic game isn't so brilliant. :P

I want Sonic to progress as a game, I'm curious to see and try new things. Even after all these flaws Sonic has experienced in the past years, I'm still excited to see how they're going to change the series and make Sonic games look and play in the future.

Edited by Peter Pancakes

Somebody go look for posts on SSMB that are actually complaining about Sonic's eyes and count them.

Somebody go look for posts on SSMB that are actually complaining about Sonic's eyes and count them.

Well we did have a small portion of folks become incredibly vocal over disliking the eyes if that counts, and for pretty trivial reasons to boot.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The original Sonic 4 topic had those complaints. Look through it and you'll find them.

Are we getting to picky? In a sense, I believe so. I've seen people argue, both her on SSMB & across the internet, about Sonic being too thin, or him having green eyes, or that they're calling Robotnik "Eggman", or that the Homing Attack is being included in Sonic's list of abilities, or that they're reusing bosses from the past games: I could go on all day!

Personally, I could care less. The way I see it; as long as I have fun playing the game, the little details won't bother me all that much. I am neutral in stance on my opinion of Sonic 4 until I play the final game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its crazy how every thread that I bump into, is destroying Sonic 4. Most have not even played the game and yet already it written off. This is the game everyone was bitching for and they are still bitching.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its crazy how every thread that I bump into, is destroying Sonic 4. Most have not even played the game and yet already it written off. This is the game everyone was bitching for and they are still bitching.

It just goes to show you that you can't please this fan base, no matter what you do. It's a shame, really...

Edited by slam422

Well we did have a small portion of folks become incredibly vocal over disliking the eyes if that counts, and for pretty trivial reasons to boot.

The original Sonic 4 topic had those complaints. Look through it and you'll find them.

My point exactly.

Nobody's been complaining about this for ages but it's like a meme to mention it all the time now. I'm sure that the ratio between people complaining about eyes and people complaining about the complainers is like 1:20.

Just sayin'.

• Thumbs Up 3

It just goes to show you that you can't please this fan base, no matter what you do. It's a shame, really...

I agree. I only joined this forum recently because I've been so hyped about Sonic 4, and I find everybody complaining about stupid things. I mean there are some legitimate worries that I can see having with the game, but I can't understand it how supposed Sonic FANS are instantly writing this game off, some saying they won't buy it or even try it, yet this game is so much closer to the classics than anything we've seen recently. I bet these people tried Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed, and those looked a lot less like a classic sonic game than this is looking.

I think the most overdone criticism of the game currently is the minecart level. Firstly, it's ONE LEVEL. Secondly, remember Sky Chase Zone in Sonic 2? Hidden Palace in S&K? A quick break from standard gameplay is nothing new people!

Edited by SuperStingray

So far all that I'm really upset about is that the homing attack looks extremely overpowered, and the bosses are all rehashes, otherwise this looks like a blast. It really shouldn't be called Sonic 4, especially with the gimmick stages like the mine cart and pinball, but those look fun in their own way so I don't give a shit. If this is a fun game, I'll be happy.

I think the most overdone criticism of the game currently is the minecart level. Firstly, it's ONE LEVEL. Secondly, remember Sky Chase Zone in Sonic 2? Hidden Palace in S&K? A quick break from standard gameplay is nothing new people!

Umm, actually; Sky Chase, while it used the "Flying on the Tornado" Auto-scroll thing, still used the same controls and gameplay that the rest of the game used (with the minor exception that pressing up & down raised and lowered the Tornado). And Hidden Palace wasn't a gimmick stage at all; just a short "intermission" stage that advanced the plot of the game....

........I'm just sayin' is all......

It really shouldn't be called Sonic 4,

Grahhh come on, seriously does it matter what the name of the game is called, does it effect the gameplay in anyway .......... A BIG FAT NO, I could not give two shits what this game was called if it was called Sonic Bros,Sonic Warfare,Sonic Galaxy,Sonic:Enter The Hedgehog I could not give two big fat shits but for some reason the name is a big deal to alot of you but it aint a big deal really is it if someone gives me a freaking reason why is should not be called Sonic 4 I'm just going to laugh my freaking ass off if so XDDDD.

Edited by Creature Of The Night

Grahhh come on, seriously does it matter what the name of the game is called, does it effect the gameplay in anyway .......... A BIG FAT NO, I could not give two shits what this game was called if it was called Sonic Bros,Sonic Warfare,Sonic Galaxy,Sonic:Enter The Hedgehog I could not give two big fat shits but for some reason the name is a big deal to alot of you but it aint a big deal really is it if someone gives me a freaking reason why is should not be called Sonic 4 I'm just going to laugh my freaking ass off if so XDDDD.

From what it seems to me, the people don't like it being called Sonic 4 because:

- a game being called Sonic 4, in other words a direct sequel to the genesis games, should be exactly that: a genesis game. They want a megaman 9/10 kind of sequel. They don't want the modern sonic look, they dont want modern graphics, they don't want any additions other than the old genesis style sonic play. they want a 16 bit expansion of what the classics were, not an actual sequel. Because Sonic 4 is NOT what they have perceived as Sonic 4 since they were little children, they bitch about it and say "the game is not wooooorrrrrthy!!!"

So, creature of the night, I am with you. Name of the game doesn't really matter, what the name Sonic 4 means to me is that this game will be more inspired by classic sonic than any game we've seen in years. And I am flippin psyched for that.

Yes, people on some other Sonic forums are starting to complain about the fact that Sonic's eyelids are blue, not peach like his skin. That's even worse than the green eyes complaints. Jesus Christ.

Haha, I've complained about that before. I would argue that it's a bigger deal than Sonic's green eyes for several reasons, but I only complained about that once on an obscure message board, and it doesn't affect my opinion of the game whatsoever. If anyone out there IS letting the pressence of fur on Sonic's eyelids hamper their opinion of the game, then they most assuredly would've found something else to complain about if Sonic's eyelids weren't hairy, because they're looking for reasons to hate the game.

You seem to have misinterpretted my post. While I do believe that the game is simply not worthy of the name Sonic 4 due to it's lack of similarities to the original games and, ironically, due to it's over-use of rehashiness, I think that on the flip-side it looks like a fun romp that I won't even give a shit about the name of it once I actually start playing it.

Honestly, I don't really care about the name at all, but the game simply just seems like a new 2D adventure that takes aspects from every 2D Sonic game, new and old, instead of purely from the classics. Either way, it looks fun to me anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

My point exactly.

Nobody's been complaining about this for ages but it's like a meme to mention it all the time now. I'm sure that the ratio between people complaining about eyes and people complaining about the complainers is like 1:20.

Just sayin'.

But that's a very loud 1 on that ratio, and it has means of making itself even bigger than what it seems. Of course, the only way to do so is for them to go further out the fanbase...

Either way, the meme-like status it has is a way to prevent this from happening in the future...of course, that never worked, but I do think there is a reason behind it that I find more understandable than those who contribute to the trivial complaints we used to have.

Honestly, I think the whole point that should be focused on is to please most of the people most of the time. If people want to be disappointed before a game comes out, let them. They'll suffer the consequences of being criticized themselves by those who are annoyed.

In the end, the most who enjoy the game for what it is instead of the more trivial reasons the vocal portion of this fanbase has been known to churn out are what really matters. That's no excuse to produce terrible games, but should people make it their responsibility to complain over every little thing, it shouldn't really be something to get that worked over. Criticizing is one thing that offers advice to improve upon something flawed, but complaining is for the weak, and there is a big difference between the two.

You seem to have misinterpretted my post. While I do believe that the game is simply not worthy of the name Sonic 4 due to it's lack of similarities to the original games and, ironically, due to it's over-use of rehashiness, I think that on the flip-side it looks like a fun romp that I won't even give a shit about the name of it once I actually start playing it.

Honestly, I don't really care about the name at all, but the game simply just seems like a new 2D adventure that takes aspects from every 2D Sonic game, new and old, instead of purely from the classics. Either way, it looks fun to me anyway.

soooo, if it takes after every 2D Sonic game, why is it still "noooooot wooooooooorrrrrrthy" of the name Sonic 4? why should Sonic 4 ONLY take after the classics, ESPECIALLY when there's been 16 years of Sonic games since the classics?? Who are you to say it's not worthy of that name?

soooo, if it takes after every 2D Sonic game, why is it still "noooooot wooooooooorrrrrrthy" of the name Sonic 4? why should Sonic 4 ONLY take after the classics, ESPECIALLY when there's been 16 years of Sonic games since the classics?? Who are you to say it's not worthy of that name?

Getting a bit confrontational here, keep it down.