Awoo.

Are we getting too picky?

DistantJ

Yeah, no.

Umm, yeah my opinion and I have a right to it thank you very much. Not to mention that you are off topic, something that is against the rules I believe (no back seat modding intended).

back on topic:

Every time a new game comes I, we see a snippet of it and about 3/4 of the time people seem to complain. I liked it better back in the day when things weren't leaked as much due to use of the internet and we had little information till the release.

Edited by Lunar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Umm, yeah my opinion and I have a right to it thank you very much. Not to mention that you are off topic, something that is against the rules I believe (no back seat modding intended).

Wow, can you please not do this then? The tone in your post is condescending enough.

Wow, can you please not do this then? The tone in your post is condescending enough.

How can your post have a tone? Lol jk, I was simply stating I'm free to my opinion, which should be respected on a forum such as this. I wasn't trying to provoke any of the "staff." Anything else I may say may be turned against me so I'll end it there :P

Edited by Lunar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Umm, yeah my opinion and I have a right to it thank you very much.

And I have a right to say that labeling the discussion of a major gameplay related change as being people just being too picky is absurd.

Edited by Tornado

And I have a right to say that labeling the discussion of a major gameplay related change as being people just being too picky is absurd.

You just said "Yea, no" that hardly means that ^

Plus, I'm not trying to start an unrelated argument in a topic such as this, so I will not respond to post that have nothing to do with the topic at hand :P

Edited by Lunar

You said that discussions of the homing attack was a result of people being picky. The statement "yeah, no" already implies that the preceding statement was absurd, and I didn't both explaining why because it should be incredibly obvious why it is absurd. If you really want to play that game, "Yeah, no" hardly means "you aren't allowed to state your opinion," so your entire tirade was rather moot from the beginning. But perhaps we could stop dick waving at each other and actually discuss things that are a result of people being too picky, like Green Eyes or Robontik 4 life.

Edited by Tornado

You said that discussions of the homing attack was a result of people being picky. The statement "yeah, no" already implies that the preceding statement was absurd, and I didn't both explaining why because it should be incredibly obvious why it is absurd. If you really want to play that game, "Yeah, no" hardly means "you aren't allowed to state your opinion," so your entire tirade was rather moot from the beginning. But perhaps we could stop dick waving at each other and actually discuss things that are a result of people being too picky, like Green Eyes or Robontik 4 life.

No, me pointing out the topic was merely an example of how picky we've become/are, a category I really don't fit into that seeing how I don't complain much or not at all about things such as that. I will agree, the HA argument does have more of a standing then the "Green eyes" or "Robotnik" thing some of the "others" keep bringing up, but I can imagine you understand where I was coming from.

All I'm saying is that you simply going "Yeah, no" doesn't leave much to the imagination, or at least mine :P so I take it as I see it is all.

Edited by Lunar

I believe people are overhyping the original games and in their minds NOTHING can top them. This is true - on a nastalgic level. However if one takes a step back and really stops over analyzing the Sonic games, they might find that they'll love Sonic 4 more than the others. The old Sonic games weren't as legendary as most people say. As someone who had a genises for YEARS AND YEARS, I was excited to finally see and play Sonic in 3D and to play newer, dare I say, much better games! I would rather play quite a few number of Sonic games over the original and 3 and K. (Sonic 2 is a different story! lol) People, move on! The times have changed and I'm very much looking forward to Sonic 4 and what NEW and IMPROVED things it will do.

Peace. ;)

post-1770-12736282349293_thumb.png

Edited by GaryII
  • Thumbs Up 4

There's not some kind of deep seated bias against newer versions of games, I love it when new versions of old games are better. I love AC for Answer, I cannot go back to the PSX Armored Core games. Tarsunoku vs. Capcom also happens to be my favorite vs. game, even without Jin.

Yes, and no.

a percentage of people get so picky about little things in Sonic games and about how they're not like they used to be. Some points are actually not that picky, such as how some people hate the werehog levels and wish they would be absent. Others complain that you play as other characters, or that the game is 3D instead of sidescrolling. I've even heard people complain about how Sonic moves too fast in some games.

Some people will never be satisfied, and its amazing they still play the games if they detest them so much.

Yes, and no.

a percentage of people get so picky about little things in Sonic games and about how they're not like they used to be. Some points are actually not that picky, such as how some people hate the werehog levels and wish they would be absent. Others complain that you play as other characters, or that the game is 3D instead of sidescrolling. I've even heard people complain about how Sonic moves too fast in some games.

Some people will never be satisfied, and its amazing they still play the games if they detest them so much.

I don't quite understand how that is a complaint that is automatically a result of people being too picky.

I don't quite understand how that is a complaint that is automatically a result of people being too picky.

How come, everytime someone says yes and no, someone becomes a doosh.(I know it's mispelled. Deal with it!)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

It was part of the whole 'Sonic games are nothing like they used to be" complaint. I'm just wondering why there are people who complain about Sonic being too fast, or having a terrible design, or even Sonic not being the only character playable in the game, and then go out and keep buying these new Sonic games while still ragging on how terrible they are.

I consider it a complaint because he's Sonic the Hedgehog, if you don't want him to be fast, go play a different game.

Yes, and no.

I'm guessing it's because they want to try the game first hand? That's why I bought Sonic 06 (terrible game imo, but had potential). I tend to buy Sonic games without looking into them much, in hopes and faith to Sega that the game is good. Last Sonic game I regret buying is SatBK... I found SatSR to be a better game.

When it comes to complaints such as Sonic being too fast or having other characters other than Sonic playable in a game, or the game being 3D are picky complaints.

Also... of course some of us will not be satisfied, we are Sonic fans XD. I was made happy when Sonic was included in Brawl, so most "disappointments" these days that fans are finding don't really bother me much. Then again, I'm not a picky person so things like the Homing attack in Sonic 4 and the cart level in Sonic 4 don't bother me and I can't fully understand why it makes people upset but w/e... if it's there, it's there, no changing it unless you work for Sega so I say.... DEAL WITH IT MUAHAHAH! One day Sega will deliver something amazing... and I'll be there to witness it.

Edited by Lunar

I'm guessing it's because they want to try the game first hand? That's why I bought Sonic 06 (terrible game imo, but had potential). I tend to buy Sonic games without looking into them much, in hopes and faith to Sega that the game is good. Last Sonic game I regret buying is SatBK... I found SatSR to be a better game.

When it comes to complaints such as Sonic being too fast or having other characters other than Sonic playable in a game, or the game being 3D are picky complaints.

Also... of course some of us will not be satisfied, we are Sonic fans XD. I was made happy when Sonic was included in Brawl, so most "disappointments" these days that fans are finding don't really bother me much. Then again, I'm not a picky person so things like the Homing attack in Sonic 4 and the cart level in Sonic 4 don't bother me and I can't fully understand why it makes people upset but w/e... if it's there, it's there, no changing it unless you work for Sega so I say.... DEAL WITH IT MUAHAHAH! One day Sega will deliver something amazing... and I'll be there to witness it.

Or just give up, but hopefully that won't happen. :lol:

How come, everytime someone says yes and no, someone becomes a doosh.

I dunno, do tell.

I consider it a complaint because he's Sonic the Hedgehog, if you don't want him to be fast, go play a different game.

I'm sorry to burst you two guy's bubbles, but "going too fast" is a perfectly valid gameplay complaint, particularly when it goes hand in hand the Dimp's usual fallback of "really fucking cheap enemy placement" and "non-OSHA-complaint level design." It isn't automatically a result of people simply being picky for the sake of complaining.

Edited by Tornado

^ only time I complained about Sonic being too fast was Sonic 06's speed levels.... but the game was so broken, it was a complaint that was going to rise up anyway. I never complaint about Sonic's speed otherwise, such as in Sonic Unleashed and Rush. The whole "enemy" placement thing is too be expected, Sega/Dimps isn't going to just let you run straight through the game, of course there's going to be enemies here and there and pitfalls. It's Sega/Dimps way of saying "be aware" just don't hold down right and expect to beat the level.

After the first enemy I ran into in Sonic Rush that was in my path, I expected more so I kept an eye out and I ended up dodging a majority of them in the other levels.

Edited by Lunar

^ only time I complained about Sonic being too fast was Sonic 06's speed levels.... but the game was so broken, it was a complaint that was going to rise up anyway. I never complaint about Sonic's speed otherwise, such as in Sonic Unleashed and Rush. The whole "enemy" placement thing is too be expected, Sega/Dimps isn't going to just let you run straight through the game, of course there's going to be enemies here and there and pitfalls. It's Sega/Dimps way of saying "be aware" just don't hold down right and expect to beat the level.

There are a million things wrong with the above statement, and there was in fact a very large topic discussing a similar assertion (the main difference being that it was specifically about Sonic Unleashed), which even had scientific information proving said assertion wrong; but in the interest of not derailing this thread I'll just cut out the fat and say that you not caring about an objective problem does not make it so the problem ceases existing, nor does it mean that others aren't allowed to comment on the problem for what it is. The fact (emphasis mine) of the matter is that it is very easy to make Sonic move too fast in a game, and shitty level design and cheap enemy placement only makes the problem even worse. Ergo, people complaining about Sonic moving too fast does not people are just being picky. Simple as.

Edited by Tornado

There are a million things wrong with the above statement, and there was in fact a very large topic discussing a similar assertion (the main difference being that it was specifically about Sonic Unleashed), which even had scientific information proving said assertion wrong; but in the interest of not derailing this thread I'll just cut out the fat and say that you not caring about an objective problem does not make it so the problem ceases existing, nor does it mean that others aren't allowed to comment on the problem for what it is. The fact (emphasis mine) of the matter is that it is very easy to make Sonic move too fast in a game, and shitty level design and cheap enemy placement only makes the problem even worse. Ergo, people complaining about Sonic moving too fast does not people are just being picky. Simple as.

I never said since I never had a problem with it no one else should either. I never said people didn't have the right to complain about said topic earlier, all I said was "what could you expect?" Just to run straight through the level?

Lol scientific information for a video game XD that made me lol, no lie.

Does Dr. Eggman's name really matter? No. Anyone who thinks so is either too invested in SatAM or something, or has no love for modern Sonic. The latter however is most of the people who rally for 2D only games. I think those old games were better, but 2D only is kind of... extreme.

No, just...no. I'll admit that I like SatAM Sonic, but that has nothing to do with why I prefer the name of "Dr. Robotnik" over "Dr. Eggman". The way you worded that sentence, makes it seem as if SatAM Sonic is where that name originated from. He was called "Dr. Robotnik" in the manuals for the Genesis games, starting with Sonic 1.

Personally, I'll never be able to understand why they felt the need to bring the "Dr. Eggman" name into the United States, anyway. Didn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of going through all the trouble of trying to think of a much better, Americanized name for him in the first place?

Lol it at Phos. He's the one who provided said scientific information, and the matter of him taking the time to do so makes you come off as snobbish in refusing to take the chance to look it up. You could at the very least ask and read up on the information, instead of brushing it off with the "lol..that's funny" dismissal.

Personally, I'll never be able to understand why they felt the need to bring the "Dr. Eggman" name into the United States, anyway. Didn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of going through all the trouble of trying to think of a much better, Americanized name for him in the first place?

No, and here is the part people who are so dead set on his name being "Robotnik" have such a hard time grasping.

While they brought in Eggman's name to the US, they never did ditch the name Robotnik in the first place. Even though the guy is refered to as Eggman almost all of the time, the name Robotnik still has, and always will, refered to the same character. Even the folks who brought in the name Eggman know that fact.

The thing I'll never understand is why there is so much faith in such a name, when the original one has never went away. Some people are so attached to the name that it seems like rocket science for them to acknowledge that they are associated with the same character, and it is so hard for them to refer to him as the name they prefer. Even the most recent fan of the series knows that Eggman = Robotnik, but the more die-hard older fans seem to have a trouble with understanding that and seem to make an issue out of it that almost exceeds the Ryan vs. Drummond crap.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

No, and here is the part people who are so dead set on his name being "Robotnik" have such a hard time grasping.

While they brought in Eggman's name to the US, they never did ditch the name Robotnik in the first place. Even though the guy is refered to as Eggman almost all of the time, the name Robotnik still has, and always will, refered to the same character. Even the folks who brought in the name Eggman know that fact.

Plus, I don't think the classic games ever DIRECTLY referred to him as "Robotnik". And strangely enough, there were all kinds of egg related moments in Western Sonic media, the "Kintobor" origin story has a rotten egg contributed to his transformation in "Robotnik", Sonic the Comic had Robotnik use "eggs" in certain words like "eggsactly", Sonic sometimes referred to Robotnik as "Egg Belly", "Egg Head", etc. in AoStH, and even though Sonic 2 was developed in AMERICA, they somehow had "EGGMAN" written on Wing Fortress Zone and a level known as "Death Egg Zone".

I never said since I never had a problem with it no one else should either. I never said people didn't have the right to complain about said topic earlier, all I said was "what could you expect?" Just to run straight through the level?

People have different opinions on what is picky. I think that saying Sonic is too fast in a game thats supposed to be about speed is picky, and if others disagree thats fine. It's just my 2 cents. I thought the speed in Unleashed was amazing, always kept you on your toes and never a dull moment.

I really didn't want to start an argument about this, just state my opinion. ^^;

Alright, fair enough.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that I actually DO like most of the modern Sonic games. To assume that people hate these games, just because they prefer the Robotnik name, is completely asinine. It's just a matter of personal preference. Dr. Robotnik just-so-happened to be the name that I grew up with, so that's what I continue to call him. It's as simple as that.

Alright, fair enough.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that I actually DO like most of the modern Sonic games. To assume that people hate these games, just because they prefer the Robotnik name, is completely asinine. It's just a matter of personal preference. Dr. Robotnik just-so-happened to be the name that I grew up with, so that's what I continue to call him. It's as simple as that.

Kind of like if you grew up calling carbonated beverages soda or pop?