Awoo.

Psychonauts discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

In this topic, feel free to discuss the most underrated platformer of all time, Psychonauts.

The way I got into the game, well, it's a long story. But to make a long story short: Back when this game first came out, I was looking through a gaming magazine, and I saw an ad for the game that had three doors, behind each door was a screenshot of the game, and the ad said something like, "Open these doors, and your brain will come flying out of your nose." I knew my brain wouldn't REALLY come flying out of my nose, but I still thought, "I'm not playing this game. It sounds revolting." Years later, I kept hearing all these good things about the game, so I thought, "Hmmmm, I might want to try this. But what console should I get it on? PS2 or Xbox?" I saw some people here on SSMB talking about this game back in '09, so I asked one of them what console I should get it on, but then someone replied saying, "Xbox version is developed by Double Fine, PS2 version is developed by Budcat," and then I thought, "How is that supposed to help? I wanted to know which version is better, not which company developed each version!!!!" But then later that year, Brutal Legend came out, as I was playing it, I thought, "Hey, this game is pretty funny. I should try some of Tim Schafer's other games," but then to get some REAL advice on which version of Psychonauts is the best, I looked it up on Google and I read about all the problems the PS2 version has, so I got it on Xbox.

The game is about a boy named Razputin (or Raz for short), he is the son of a famous circus performer, but his lifelong dream is to become a Psychonaut. He wants to go to a psychic summer camp in order to become one, but his parents won't let him, so he runs away from home and goes to the camp. While he's there, he learns all the basics, acquires psychic powers, goes into peoples' minds, etc., but pretty soon, he finds out that there is a deranged madman stealing the childrens' brains! So he must put a stop to it.

The levels are very creative, the characters are hilarious, the humor is excellent, the gameplay is top-notch, and overall it is one of the best games ever made. If you can find this game at a store, or if you find it on Steam, GameTap, Xbox Live Games on Demand, or GOG.com, you NEED to get it A.S.A.P.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crystal Kingfisher

• Covskin

But then later that year, Brutal Legend came out, as I was playing it, I thought, "Hey, this game is pretty funny. I should try some of Tim Schafer's other games,"

I hope you've progressed to the wonders of Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle (and to a slightly lesser extent, Full Throttle) too, because they're pure bloody brilliance.

I had the PS2 version of Psychonauts, and just like all of Tim's games, it shows off his brilliance at creating a fantastic world and characters. It may be completely madcap, but he does such a good job of creating this world you really buy into it, without anything really seeming that strange - it all makes sense in-game, so it makes sense in reality.

Psychonauts may have had a few issues (control was a little dodgy in smoe places, a bit of a collect-a-thon at times, Meat Circus), but the ideas and the presentation add so much to what would otherwise be just a competent platformer. It creates something memorable.

...like the Milkman.

I hope you've progressed to the wonders of Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle (and to a slightly lesser extent, Full Throttle) too, because they're pure bloody brilliance.

I've played Grim Fandango, it's an awesome game, but I haven't played Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle. I'll have to download DOSbox in order to play Day of the Tentacle though. The only Tim Schafer games I've played ATM are Psychonauts, Grim Fandango, and Brutal Legend.