Awoo.

Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions

Badnik Mechanic

A long time ago I posted a topic about Spiderman: Web of Shadows, reason being is that it looked so different to previous Spiderman titles... not a great game, not very well thought out...

Then we got Batman, and all of a sudden everyone started thinking, "Well whats Spidermans next game going to be like if Batman was so good?" Or something like that....

Today we got the answer.... Say hello to Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions

noirspidey.jpg

Be honest... how many of us were expecting Spidy's new game to be like that!? Well... it's not quite as simple as that. Theres 4 dimensions, two have been reviealed today, one is the classic "The Amazing Spider-man" the other is "Noir" Noir reminds me a lot like Batman: Arkham Asylum. It's very stealth based and taking out apponents at a distance. Amazing Spider-Man looks a lot more up close and hand to hand. The other two dimensions will be shown at a later date.

So then, here is the biggest thing that puts this as being different from past games... the trailer shows first person web swinging and fighting!? So what is this going to be Mirrors Edge meets Spiderman? Well theres a lot of classic third person gameplay too. But theres definately some ingame footage showing first person fighting and web swinging.

Enemies so far look like Kraven the Hunter, and Hammerhead.

You can find the trailer and a bit of an article here.

According to the trailer, if looks like it's coming to everything even the DS.

Much large article from gamespot, they have played it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Noir levels look AWESOME. It's easy to tell there were some ideas taken from Arkham Asylum, but whatever. As long as it's good, I don't mind. While I don't own Arkham Asylum, I have played a friend's copy, and it's pretty cool.

The Amazing levels...however... it may be too early to tell what it'll look like in game, but it doesn't look a lot like the Web Of Shadows style... and I really hope they reuse WOS's style. That was an awesome game, despite all its flaws.

A long time ago I posted a topic about Spiderman: Web of Shadows, reason being is that it looked so different to previous Spiderman titles... not a great game, not very well thought out...

I found Spiderman: WOB to be a good game at least. I wouldn't say amazing, but it is downright fun nonetheless. Then again, I found Prototype to be fun and WOB plays in a similar fashion. It needs work, but it had some interesting parts to it and somewhat acceptable execution in my book when it comes to the gameplay.

Be honest... how many of us were expecting Spidy's new game to be like that!?

How about none of us? That's quite a twist to take for the amazing Spiderman.

Although looking at the trailer, it looks like it's going to perfect the style it had in Web of Shadows while bringing it some Arkham Asylum into the fray. Along with the Mirrors Edge presentation at the end.

This game looks interesting overall. I liked Web of Shadows, so I'm really interested in how this will shape up. Let's hope it doesn't have much of Web of Shadow's flaws tho, right?

No. Right. Seriously. This looks seven shades of Spidey-shit. It's everything from the previous mulch of tangled tedium and insane, game-breaking camera work with added cel-shading and "ooh, look Batman was gritty and successful let's do that". Except, it's not Batman. It's Spiderman. And it's Activision. And it's going to blow. Again.

No. Right. Seriously. This looks seven shades of Spidey-shit. It's everything from the previous mulch of tangled tedium and insane, game-breaking camera work with added cel-shading and "ooh, look Batman was gritty and successful let's do that". Except, it's not Batman. It's Spiderman. And it's Activision. And it's going to blow. Again.

I think I agree with this. I would love to be wrong though. Either way there is no way I would pick this up until reviews hit.

Edited by speedfreak

Wish they would have just stuck with the "Amazing" part. Reminds me a bit of Ultimate Spider-Man, which I found to be Spidey's best.

Adding other Dimensions sounds like there probably going to do too many gameplay styles than they can handle. Almost like Sonic Team. I'll wait to see some solid footage before passing judgment on this, ut I'm not holding my breath.

INTERESTING. I'm glad they're keeping the regular Spidey intact while experimenting with this "dark knight" business. The mark of the Spider? Lol.

But it's not as if Spidey doesn't have dark territory as well. His archenemy is an obsessive stalker type. And there have been plotlines about Parker's animal "spider side" inside him, and plenty of this Mafia looking stuff from the Noir world. Kraven is one of my favorite, and he can be really dark too.

As much as I'm loving Noir Spidey and the prospect of zombied Spidey making the cut, I'm still giving the finger to Activision and any games they make. So I'm out.

For those of you that don't know, Spider-man Noir isn't as new as some people think he is.

Spider-Man-Noir-NYR.jpg

106_SPIDER_MAN_NOIR__EYES_WITHOUT_A_FACE_4.jpg

He's actually been around for a while, every since last year. It's was apart of the Marvel Noir series which started Feb 2009. (Basically giving a pulp-fiction twist to marvel superheroes.) I don't really think that this will be a rip-off of Batman AA. Honestly, the first thing to come to my mind is the Turtles Forever movie. If anything, Spider-man Noir is what you expect from Spider-man with a Pulp-fiction twist. It's darker, more serious and he carries firearms. As for the name "Noir", the darker art style is a given. [/ da goddamn nurd]

Now back to the show...

Anyway, I'm keeping my eye on this game. I like the two different art styles and the combat looks nice which is something that I don't see myself saying all that much with spider-man games these days. I'm very curious to how that first person gameplay will pan out, that will either be awesome or piss in my opinion.

And since Amazing Spider-man and Spider-man Noir will not be the only two. (There were two blank silhouettes with them during the transitions... and this was confirmed anyway.) Any guess who they might be? I'm clueless on that one. I don't normally link the wiki, but it's a huge list man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_versions_of_Spider-Man

Edit: had to remove a "Derr hurr." part of my comment. :P

Edited by Thunder-Salad YoshiUnity

I WAS rather hoping for a sequel to Web Of Shadows, God that game was good. *still hasn't finished doing his "evil" run*

Flicking for Spiderman's web strike thing is the most satisfying thing next to Sonic's homing attack in Unleashed Wii.

I'll keep my eye out for this. Its certainly looks interesting. Maybe if its like Spider-Man 2(I can dream cant I?)...

Activision(Beenox) better not screw up. Same for War for Cybertron.

Wait, they made Spiderman awesome again?

Count me in

He was awesome in Spectacular Spider-man. You are a couple years late to that party.

Speaking of which, was that Spectacular Spider-man's VA? Holy shit?!

He just hasn't seemed to be awesome since those dreadful movies cake out, making Peter look like a whiny emo rather than a quick-witted nerd in a superhero costume.

He just hasn't seemed to be awesome since those dreadful movies cake out, making Peter look like a whiny emo rather than a quick-witted nerd in a superhero costume.

He's always been a bit emo. Spiderman, for all it's known for being colorful and action-y, is pretty fucking sad sometimes.

And the only movie where he really got emotional was Spiderman 2 and if you don't like that then you must have no soul or are currently in hell.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought Spider-Man 3 is where it got emotional? Also Spider-Man 2 = greatest movie evar.

I thought Spider-Man 3 is where it got emotional? Also Spider-Man 2 = greatest movie evar.

Spiderman 3 he cried a little and was a dick during a short montage. About as emotional as a tire, that movie.

Also Spiderman Noir is cool looking. I've liked most of the Spiderman games, this should be fun.

Marvel Noir was pretty cool, never thought we'd actually see a game with Marvel Noir Spidey in it though, pretty awesome.

I should come right out and say this: I consider myself to be a Spider-Man fanboy. I have loved almost every Spidey game in the last decade (Yes, even Spider-Man 3) and I'm certainly keeping an eye on this. I'm a little disappointed that it's not free roam, but I'm not going to whine about it no matter how much I'd love to be able to swing around all of New York instead of just Manhattan again and again.

The other two worlds have been leaked! (Kinda.)

Gamestop has a release date set for September 7 and as a preorder bonus you get a code for a Cosmic version for all 4 Spider-Men:

SM_shattered_bonusLG1.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG2.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG3.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG4.jpg

It looks like the final two spider-men are a Symbiote-infected Spidey from the bad ending of Web of Shadows and judging by the spider legs on his shoulders, Spider-Man 2099.

Also, Noir Spidey will be voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who voiced Spidey in the 90s' Spider-Man cartoon and the other three Spider-Men will be voiced by three other former spidey voice actors.

Why does that costume look so familiar? Doesn't it belong to another Marvel superhero? Also, YES! I wanted Spidey 2099 to be in here. I never read it, but the costume was always pretty cool. The costumes remind me of this one arc where Spidey had a million dollar bounty on his head, so he stopped being Spider-Man and disguised himself as four alternate heroes. I think they were Dusk, Ricochet, the Hornet, and Prodigy. The costumes went on to have their own series I think, after Spidey went back to his own costume. Ricochet is still around, I'm pretty sure he was in a few issues of Runaways some years ago. Anyone know?

Nifty find there, chaoscontrol! Though I admit I was kinda hoping for Ultimate, Spectacular, Spider-Girl...maaaaybe Zombie Spider-Man.

Why does that costume look so familiar? Doesn't it belong to another Marvel superhero? Also, YES! I wanted Spidey 2099 to be in here. I never read it, but the costume was always pretty cool. The costumes remind me of this one arc where Spidey had a million dollar bounty on his head, so he stopped being Spider-Man and disguised himself as four alternate heroes. I think they were Dusk, Ricochet, the Hornet, and Prodigy. The costumes went on to have their own series I think, after Spidey went back to his own costume. Ricochet is still around, I'm pretty sure he was in a few issues of Runaways some years ago. Anyone know?

Spidey was just "drafted" by the Enigma Force, and the Uni-Power was bestowed upon him, turning him into the Cosmic Spider-Man in the comics. I think he was just one more Captain Universe for a while, as several others had also used the Uni-Power during different time periods. Maybe this is why you think it's familiar...?

And Prodigy's and the rest's new group was called the "Slingers", if I remember correctly.

The other two worlds have been leaked! (Kinda.)

Gamestop has a release date set for September 7 and as a preorder bonus you get a code for a Cosmic version for all 4 Spider-Men:

SM_shattered_bonusLG1.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG2.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG3.jpgSM_shattered_bonusLG4.jpg

It looks like the final two spider-men are a Symbiote-infected Spidey from the bad ending of Web of Shadows and judging by the spider legs on his shoulders, Spider-Man 2099.

Also, Noir Spidey will be voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who voiced Spidey in the 90s' Spider-Man cartoon and the other three Spider-Men will be voiced by three other former spidey voice actors.

Spider-Man 2099 is cool (and expected), but I'm a bit mixed on Symbiote Spidey. I like the symbiote stuff and all, but wasn't a huge fan of the way it was handled in Web of Shadows. I was sorta expected Ultimate Spider-Man to make it, but I guess he's not unique enough.

Would be nice if one of the voice actors was Josh Keaton, but I doubt it.