Awoo.

Sonic Next-Gen PS3 Problems?

Guest -FourKaySix-

Guest Jordan-4K6

I have noticed a few problems that are not in the Xbox 360 version or the Youtube videos of the PS3 version.

The game runs at a lower framerate, also the cutscene audio often f*cks up. I first thought my copy was bugged but I bought another copy and it still has these problems...

Are these problems only in the PAL version? or is there a way to get the game run normally? My friend thinks it's something to do with the fact that I run the game in PAL (aka 50hz) but I don't see how that can change the framerate.

I'm kinda confused, any help please?

Not sure what to suggest since the game isn't polished to begin with, the game has frame-rate problems here and there in both my Xbox 360 version and my PS3 version.

I assumed problems like this were common with the game in general, you mean the PS3 version is actually worse?

Guest Jordan-4K6

The PS3 version has less glitches and higher polly however.

But the PAL PS3 version of the game runs at a lower frame rate, my friend just said "buy a HDMI and it will run at a high frame rate like the NTSC version and 360 version and the cutscene audio will be fixed" again I don't see how 50hz can cause a lower frame rate >_>

Anyone else had these problems?

I don't see how 50hz can cause a lower frame rate >_>

Vertical Synchronization - if it's triple buffered (and for arguments sake let's say it is) the console might not be optimized to handle it and as such the framerate will take a hit. That setting attempts to link together the refresh rate and FPS for the best possible display. An HDMI might solve your issues, but it sounds like they're a little deeper rooted than just that.

Yep... The PAL version of the game does have its share of problems when not running through a HDMI cable.

When I first got my PS3, I had to run it via analogue component cables (no HDTV). Numerous problems were encountered:

-Audio lagged in cutscenes

-Audio was choppy and full of interference during the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Otherwise when running through HDMI:

-Game does lag. especially when there were moments where there was a lot of debris on screen (Huge slowdown in Crisis City hi-speed section)

Your copy of the game isnt suffering anything un-heard of. ^^

The only time I noticed problems on mine (aside from the games own problems), was a drop in frame rate when there was A LOT of objects/debris on screen, but these were quite rare since it only occured in small spaces with lots of robots shooting you.

I was using a HDMI cable.

I'm not sure if this problem would be tied just to Sonic 06 though, theres probably other games out there that have the odd problem if you don't use a HDMI.

PlayStation3 and PAL here, too. :)

I've got it running through an HDMI cable and I don't suffer audio problems, but the framerate is still a bugger when lots happens (and sometimes, when nothing happens at all, too). But that's unfortunately the state of play with Sonic the Hedgehog, as it was rushed to all systems and therefore has major issues to contend with, framerate being just one.

If you want, later, I'll plug in a Scart connection and see if I get any glitches and/or have a worse time with the framerate than before?

I don't mean frame rate drops, I mean the frame rate is just lower.

Oh, right. Well, that's a given, I guess, seeing how there's lots of technical jargon I don't understand that means HDMI supports higher framerate. Still, I'll do the switchover later and see what happens, and will report back in this topic for you!

The audio glitches sound nasty. I'd hate to encounter them regularly. :(

Can the PS3 not run in PAL-60, then? Not that I know much about how the console works, but I'd recommend tweaking your video settings...

Besides, I thought that Sonic '06 was a 60Hz-only game!

Edited by Extaticus

PAL actually *can* change the framerate, particularly in this day and age of HD where less time and effort will be put into a 50Hz mode if any at all. They have to set it so that the game outputs at a different refresh rate... Try Sonic and the Secret Rings on 60Hz followed by 50Hz and you'll notice a huge difference in framerate.

However, problems with Sonic 2006 are something that one should really expect... It's one of the most poorly put-together games I ever experienced - not that I wish to shoehorn my opinion into your request for help topic (I hate when people do that), just to point out that it's entirely possible you're just experiencing problems with the game itself because it has so many, I remember the one time I played it and it all just ran at half-speed, for no apparent reason.

Especially back in 2006 (when both consoles were still fairly new), while the PS3 is a fragging powerhouse, games have consistently looked and performed better on the XBox 360. Chalk that up to having a system that is so dang hard to program for (and no fair that Sony has not suffered for it as Sega did with the Saturn - Sony deserves three times worse).

Not recently... The PS3 versions of games have been the better versions in the past year or two due to the Blu-Ray, the 360 ones are now getting compressed video and stuff... Doesn't really matter though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Especially back in 2006 (when both consoles were still fairly new), while the PS3 is a fragging powerhouse, games have consistently looked and performed better on the XBox 360. Chalk that up to having a system that is so dang hard to program for (and no fair that Sony has not suffered for it as Sega did with the Saturn - Sony deserves three times worse).

There is a reason older PS3 versions of multi-format games look worse. Most coders that release on multiple platforms code for the 360 first then port to the PS3 as the PS3 is the console with the greater processing power (seven cores vs three, if I recall), so the best way to make things work over both consoles is to port to the more powerful one. That is why multiple platform games run slightly worse on a PS3 than a 360 despite the PS3 being the more powerful console - The games are not written to employ the PS3 hierarchy, and it shows in many games with framerate slowdown and lag. When you do get a game that IS written for the PS3 specially, the difference is astounding. Just look at God of War 3 to see what I mean.

Sonic 06's more severe framerate issues on the PS3 versus the 360 are a known thing even in 60Hz HDMI mode and can pretty much all be put down to the fact it's a port and so was not written specifically for the machine. It's certainly not the only older game that fares worse on the PS3!

Edited by Nemain

Guest Jordan-4K6

Do you remember when the PS3 version was delayed and we were all hoping they were fixing glitches?

They did fix a quite few glitches :P I'm not going to list them all but they fixed the super speed gem glitch in 2P.