Awoo.

Anyone else want an origin story of some sort?

Speederino

And you don't find that horribly generic and cliché... at all? Also, how does it explain the OTHER characters (many of them!) with powers? Sonic's never once given any indication that Eggman did anything like that to him, which would make it INCREDIBLY unbelievable if it were suddenly claimed.

As you even say, it's fanfic material... but personally, I hope to the heavens that it NEVER sees the light of day in the games ^^;

Well, like I said, it was A: in Sonic the Comic, or at least heavily hinted there, in a time before Silver the Hedgehog and other powerful characters, and B: a laugh! :D

Besides, I used it for something totally unrelated to the main Sonic canon, so don't worry! ;)

Why is Sonic blue? Because SEGA's logo is blue!

As for his speed, After being jailed for a string of arsons he felt were just fun running around, Sonic flips on the TV in his cell, not knowing that it was gold. On screen was a sleek, cool pair of red sneakers with a white stripe and a yellow buckle. Tired of being called a jailbird, he runs into the bars of his cell, but bounces off and fears he's going to get hurt, so he curls up into a ball to protect himself. Sonic accidently smashed the TV and after his feet flashed gold, he was wearing the shoes! They were confortable and didn't crumble or melt when he ran wearing them. Sonic gets acquitted after the warden paroles him relizing he wasn't an arsonist, but an unbelievably fast runner.

As for his green eyes, they transitioned from (black, gray, brown) to green and were lime green when he woke up the morning SA1 started.

Eggman I'd say was repeatedly attacked by hedgehogs who feared his towering height and whimsical little robots he created as a hobby. I'm guessing "Robotnik" was the by-product of Sonic calling him a no-goodnik and when he commanded the blue blur to call him Dr. Robotnik, he called him Dr. Robuttnik and began trashing his robots to free the animals inside.