Awoo.

Resident Evil: Afterlife

Badnik Mechanic

Theres been three live action movies so far.

The first one was... kinda bad... The second one was a lot better... but I disagreed with a lot of the ways they made it and some of the decisions they made with regards to plot and some of the choices in the movie in general... they don't feel like horror movies...

The third one... I've still not seen but have little desire to.

The annimation... watched it. Kinda good, but it does have a few problems.

So now we have the trailer for the 4th movie and it's a live action film.

Before you watch the trailer... James Cameron is NOT working on the movie, they're just using his 3D camera system, they've just put his name in there because, well if you ask me, some people may think that he is working on it.

It looks like Wesker is in this one. Also confirmed are Zombies and the Los Plagas, both the foot soldier form and the exicutioner.... What else... Despite the fact that it looks like it's set in L.A.

Alice is back.... for fucks sake...

Can they just cancel this continuingly poor series and let someone else have a crack at it!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent York

• EXshad

• SuperLink

• Badnik Mechanic

Can they just cancel this continuingly poor series and let someone else have a crack at it!

Working for a horror site which specializes in Resident Evil, I can confirm this is the last movie in the series and AFTER this film another live-action Resident Evil movie series with a different cast and premise entirely will be made which in no way reflects the current one, this is the 4th and final installment. No news on anything on the movie series AFTER Afterlife, but we'll see.

That said, it's interesting to see a few of the Resident Evil 5 elements their using, rumor has it the plot is a (very loose) retelling of RE5, with Wesker and the Uroboros virus. And I will say the effects are pretty. But beyond that, this movie looks way too action oriented with no horror, non-interesting plot, and like some strange hybrid between Resident Evil, The Matrix, and I Am Legend... Well I don't expect it to be good but will probably end up seeing it anyways.

Though on an upside, no signs of the army of Alice Clones. Which is in it's own way a godsend, since that was a terrible, terrible idea.

Edited by Dusk the Wicked Keeper

First off, lemme say that I really didn't like the first Resident Evil live-action movie. More like I hated it. It had little-to-nothing to do with the games. It was boring. Unimaginative. Shitty acting. I could go on and on, but worst of all, it just wasn't scary. Did I mention I didn't like it?

Second one was bit better for me because it had a few more moments that resembled the games (particularly RE3), and Nemesis looked cool on the big screen, but bad acting and crappy effects abound wrecked it again (yes, it's that bad). And the plot was completely incoherent, and once again: minimal scares. And Nemesis fucking CRIED. What. the. FUCK.

The third one's a totally different story. It had a solid "what-if" plot and theme this time, about survival, and the situations seemed more tense thanks to more solid (yet still campy) acting. I actually felt a connection to some of the characters, even though it was a very small one, thanks to the improved writing and acting. The effects were better, and while the plot was almost totally new ground, the feel of the movie felt far more "Resident Evil" like. Best of all? It made me jump a few times! So while it was still pretty "meh" as a stand-alone movie, I was satisfied as a fan. It felt like they actually tried.

That said, this one looks awesome. Seriously. The casting, for once, looks really good. The guy who plays Wesker LOOKS like Wesker and is DRESSED just like Wesker. Some pics of Wentworth Miller, the person cast to play Chris, shows that he actually looks the part as well. And that trailer had some many moments ripped right from the games, and that's exactly what fans have been crying out for: more connections to the games. The effects look great, and the Executioner/Majini look really well-done. And it's really cool that this film is going to be the first 3rd party movie to use James Cameron's revolutionary 3D filming technology.

So I'm kinda hyped. All I ask is that it is at LEAST as good as the last one. If it is, I'll be content.

Edited by EXshad

Didn't Capcom practically beg for these to stop being made at one point? I can't believe there's another one on the way... :/

A(nother) well made RE film with acceptable canonical significance that was fully supported by Capcom would be nice.

Edited by SuperLink

I like the Resident Evil movies but out of them all, I preferred Degeneration because it actually continued where the games left off. The live action movies (like most video-game movies)strayed to far away from the games. Not to mention, they had Leon Kennedy made out to be dead from the beginning. I'll definitely watch it, but I'd rather see another CGI movie made by Capcom.

To be honest, I've enjoyed the RE films so far, its a nice escape.

However I haven't been able to find "Degeneration". It snuck by me XD

• 5 months later...

Well... might as well update this dead topic with a review.

Resident Evil Afterlife...ugh. It was a let-down, considering Extinction, the movie which came before it, was the only live-action movie that I considered to actually be pretty good. But this movie was just a massive disappointment.

But why? The 3D was epic, on-par with Avatar (hell, the opening credits alone blow any other current 3D movie out of the water...sorry Angry Joe, but you are dead wrong on this one) and totally justified that ticket price. The casting was excellent, and I thought the entire first act and most of the second act was done as perfectly as a Resident Evil film and a sequel to the first 3 films could have been. So what killed it?

The opening was great. It showed off the Alice clones effectively and quickly, giving us awesome action 3D scenes to gasp at, while also getting rid of the stupid powers Alice had that have absolutely no place in a Resident Evil movie. And because of this, the movie takes it time... in a good way! Mostly. We get to see Alice try to maintain her newly-found humanity in an empty world, and it's pretty effective. In fact, the pacing is really well-done for the most part, reminiscent of the games in many ways. Like, people next to me actually jumped when Alice was in a hall, alone, and out of nowhere a plaga/zombie thing eats her friend. It was great. This movie, like it's predecessor, had actual suspence, unlike the first 2. Only this time, it was better!

Chris and Wesker both were cast perfectly. They fit the part. And the fights scenes were excellently choreographed, and fans will love the final battle... well, the first part. But they're not overdone, unlike the last 3 films. You appreciate them more 'cause they late you breathe between action scenes. The pace of the first hour or so of the movie feels like a combination of the classic and new games. Hell, the movie as a whole just feels more like the games, and that's awesome.

But then the movie jumps off the shark at the end. It's really bad. First off, I was expecting a big pay-off explaining a lot of loose plot-developments, yet they don't explain anything: what was the device on Claire's chest? Where did the plaga-zombies come from? Where the hell did the Executioner come from? And the worst part is, we never see Claire get her memory back! It's implied, but we never see that crucial development. Plus, I shit you not, Chris and Claire only mention their sibling-relationship once. It's pretty much goes like "Claire, it's Chris, I'm your brother!" "I don't remember you." "Okay, cool." And that's it. Which is a huge shame because, once again, the casting is excellent, but they're so under-utilized. I honestly can forgive them not developing many of the other survivors, but come on. Chris was a key factor in this movie's marketing, and they just shoe-horned him into the plot for that reason. And ALL they had to do to make it better was have Claire at least have flash-backs of their relationship, or have some witty banter. Just something along those lines, 'cause by the end, they're more than comfortable with each other and the reason is because Mr. Anderson was too damn lazy to explain why.

Oh, and the entire last 15 minutes is just one massive WTF moment that should never have happened. I ain't gonna spoil it, but it borderline ruins the first act and a half that I quite thoroughly loved. It's beyond stupid. It literally made me groan in my seat, after I was on the edge of it hoping the movie would continue to be great after the first hour or so. Fuck, even the 3D copped out at the end. It's like the whole movie just gave up. I mean, there's one important plot point that was so poorly done that I gotta explain it.

At the beginning of the film, Wesker has an anti-virus that kills the T-virus in Alice. Okay, cool. I mean, I can understand why he wouldn't use it on humanity, he's a selfish fuck, fine. Still, he pulled it out of no where, so it's assumed that he has more. But by the end, we realize the T-virus is destroying him, and to keep it at bay so he can stay alive, he needs other people's DNA to keep it under control. Um....HELLO?!?!?!?

So I dunno if I should recommend this or not. The pacing, action scenes, casting, and 3D definitely do the fans justice. But the plot is piss poor, and character development between Chris and Claire is non-existent. So.... yeah, I dunno. I'll leave that up to you. This movie is the absolute definition of a mixed bag. I mean, the crowd was into, and so was I until the end, so...... yeah. I ain't content, 'cause it wasn't as good as the last one, but I'm not TOTALLY disappointed...

Edited by EXshad

Well... might as well update this dead topic with a review.

Resident Evil Afterlife...ugh. It was a let-down, considering Extinction, the movie which came before it, was the only live-action movie that I considered to actually be pretty good. But this movie was just a massive disappointment.

But why? The 3D was epic, on-par with Avatar (hell, the opening credits alone blow any other current 3D movie out of the water...sorry Angry Joe, but you are dead wrong on this one) and totally justified that ticket price. The casting was excellent, and I thought the entire first act and most of the second act was done as perfectly as a Resident Evil film and a sequel to the first 3 films could have been. So what killed it?

The opening was great. It showed off the Alice clones effectively and quickly, giving us awesome action 3D scenes to gasp at, while also getting rid of the stupid powers Alice had that have absolutely no place in a Resident Evil movie. And because of this, the movie takes it time... in a good way! Mostly. We get to see Alice try to maintain her newly-found humanity in an empty world, and it's pretty effective. In fact, the pacing is really well-done for the most part, reminiscent of the games in many ways. Like, people next to me actually jumped when Alice was in a hall, alone, and out of nowhere a plaga/zombie thing eats her friend. It was great. This movie, like it's predecessor, had actual suspence, unlike the first 2. Only this time, it was better!

Chris and Wesker both were cast perfectly. They fit the part. And the fights scenes were excellently choreographed, and fans will love the final battle... well, the first part. But they're not overdone, unlike the last 3 films. You appreciate them more 'cause they late you breathe between action scenes. The pace of the first hour or so of the movie feels like a combination of the classic and new games. Hell, the movie as a whole just feels more like the games, and that's awesome.

But then the movie jumps off the shark at the end. It's really bad. First off, I was expecting a big pay-off explaining a lot of loose plot-developments, yet they don't explain anything: what was the device on Claire's chest? Where did the plaga-zombies come from? Where the hell did the Executioner come from? And the worst part is, we never see Claire get her memory back! It's implied, but we never see that crucial development. Plus, I shit you not, Chris and Claire only mention their sibling-relationship once. It's pretty much goes like "Claire, it's Chris, I'm your brother!" "I don't remember you." "Okay, cool." And that's it. Which is a huge shame because, once again, the casting is excellent, but they're so under-utilized. I honestly can forgive them not developing many of the other survivors, but come on. Chris was a key factor in this movie's marketing, and they just shoe-horned him into the plot for that reason. And ALL they had to do to make it better was have Claire at least have flash-backs of their relationship, or have some witty banter. Just something along those lines, 'cause by the end, they're more than comfortable with each other and the reason is because Mr. Anderson was too damn lazy to explain why.

Oh, and the entire last 15 minutes is just one massive WTF moment that should never have happened. I ain't gonna spoil it, but it borderline ruins the first act and a half that I quite thoroughly loved. It's beyond stupid. It literally made me groan in my seat, after I was on the edge of it hoping the movie would continue to be great after the first hour or so. Fuck, even the 3D copped out at the end. It's like the whole movie just gave up.

So I dunno if I should recommend this or not. The pacing, action scenes, casting, and 3D definitely do the fans justice. But the plot is piss poor, and character development between Chris and Claire is non-existent. So.... yeah, I dunno. I'll leave that up to you. This movie is the absolute definition of a mixed bag. I mean, the crowd was into, and so was I until the end, so...... yeah. I ain't content, 'cause it wasn't as good as the last one, but I'm not TOTALLY disappointed...

I'm going to go see it this week, but I've been hearing simila sentiments. Through the course of the movie it was a lot better than many thought it was going to be, not quite good but if you liked the first three or any one of the three films you're likely going to enjoy this one since it is better than the last 3 for th majority of the film, but then the ending feels so rushed and face palm worthy. I'll make my judgment when I see it.

I'm going to go see it this week, but I've been hearing simila sentiments. Through the course of the movie it was a lot better than many thought it was going to be, not quite good but if you liked the first three or any one of the three films you're likely going to enjoy this one since it is better than the last 3 for th majority of the film, but then the ending feels so rushed and face palm worthy. I'll make my judgment when I see it.

Nah dude, the first half of the movie wasn't just "good compared to the other movies", not to me, anyway. As a fan of the games and not so much a fan of the movies, it was near perfect. They managed to follow up on the plot of the first 3 films while effectively weaving in more human elements, and more elements from both the classic and newer games (such as actual SUSPENSE). And once again, the casting is spot-on. I really don't think they could have done it any better, keeping all that in mind.

But then it just went down hill, and finally got so bad that it almost detracted from how much I truly enjoyed the first part of the movie. But I'm eager to hear your thoughts on it :P

Edited by EXshad

My sister loves all of the live action movies... how sad. I really only enjoy the second one because it reminds me of Resident Evil 3, I have a special little love for that game. :) Nemesis is awesome.

But as for the first film and the third, I could care less. Plus I'm sick and tired of everything being in freaking 3D. Enough is enough, it's not always the thing to do to give the movie an edge. I'll watch this one on Cable in two years when it comes on HBO, and that's only to see how it all ends.

OK, saw the film with my girlfriend last night (she and I are both big Resident Evil fans) and the first thing I want to say is I enjoyed the movie a lot better than I thought I would. In fact, I would go far enough to say this movie was the most similar to the games out of all four movies. And it tells you something I thought the movie felt it was over all too quickly as opposed to feeling it dragged on. I need to form a complete opinion but if I dare say it I think that was my favorite of the four films, and my girlfriend agreed too. It's not perfect, and I think opinions will differ, but I enjoyed it a lot. My two main gripes though were that the film felt like an in-between film since the ending was a cliffhanger (what happened to this being the last movie in the series and another new series by a new director taking place after this film, huh!?) and my second gripe was some of the side characters felt more unimportant and one dimensional than ever and how things developed, like Chris and Claire's relationship as stated. I'm sorry I did not buy their relationship one bit.

Also I am not telling you which scene until spoilers below but I swear one of the scenes of the movie ripped off of Resident Evil 5 for a whole 5-6 minutes straights, going as far as exact quotes from the game (minor spoilers as an example, "Isn't this one big family reunion") and even lots of the way the characters moved looked like, and I want to do a side-by-side comparison, like they had just copied even the exact movements the characters in Resident Evil 5 made during these 5-6 minutes. The movie up to this point only had a few Resident Evil 5 things here and there but it was the last 20 or so minutes of the movie that made it really feel like Resident Evil 5 the Movie.

Though I can't tell you how happy I am they very quickly got rid of the Alice Clones and got rid of Alice's powers... Even as ExShad points up above it makes a plot hole near the end of the film.

Anyways, spoiler-time!

Up to the film's release I had heard about the prison but thought it was the opening sequence. Little would I expect about a half of the movie takes place in the Prison. I have to say out of settings this movie had the best of them, starting in a Tokyo base, going to Alaska, then to a Prison in Hollywood, and finishing up on a ship off of shore. t tells you something I was glad to see Wesker kicking Alice's ass at the beginning of the movie. At first I didn't like the Wesker actor but he grew on me even if he only appeared at the beginning and end of the movie. My favorite moments was the sudden shot to the head to the guy telling him they had their men in there when he told them to fill it up with poison gas, Wesker beating the crap out of Alice on the airship, when they first encounter on the sea ship, the cheesiness of all the Resident Evil 5 stuff in the final battle, and his face when he realizes the bomb he was going to detonate was on the ship he was escaping in.

The movie maybe took a bit long to get really started. The beginning Tokyo scene was kinda' cool but I absolutely hated how Mary-Sue all the clones were to be honest. I mean sure they died but they could kill like 5-10 people before they were taken out. Also I like how all the clones are like, "We have to get out of here now!" when there's only like 2 seconds before the place explodes. Alaska was short but kinda' forgettable.

Movie in my opinion picked up with the Prison, even if all the characters there were one-dimensional and predictable. I also don't know how alice would feel since this is like, her fourth crew of zombie-feed...I mean, 'team mates'. Black guy lives though, but the ending scene with him was corny as hell. This whole movie was actually rather corny but not in a bad way actually. Chris was acting totally out of character though I guess he was in prison, but to be fair so was Claire. Claire was cold-hearted and Chris was a bit dark but Chris actually grew on me. I also think that one dude with the beard that stole the plane was a completely boring character and I was dissapointed how he was Wesker's replacement for Sheva in the final scenes.

While the ending had a huge plot hole and unexplained story elements, it was actually my favorite part of the movie. It might be a mixture between complete cheesiness, Resident Evil references, and over-the-top action and plot twist (Wesker wants to EAT Alice? lolwut) and I have to admit huge plagas-thing coming out of Wesker's mouth was freaky but he was acting really dumb with it, moments before he was going all Resident Evil 5-Matrix style then the next he is slow and dumb. Besides the Resident Evil 5 dogs, Iliked how the Chris and Claire fight scene was like a complete rip-off of both the Chris and Sheva meeting Wesker and the ship Wesker cutscene in Resident Evil 5. It was so much a rip-off they went to direct quotes and I swear the fight between Wesker, Chris, and Claire was exactly like the cutscene in Resident Evil 5 where they fight right before the first phase of the final boss, to the point the moves and camera angles were almost exactly the same. They did a really good job with the effects though in the movie, I will say.

This movie is completely cheesy, full of plot holes, one dimensional characters, and Resident Evil elements that cross the line of being references and become complete rip-offs, but hell, I enjoyed watching it though strictly as mindless fun. I kinda' just turned off my logical side while watching it and I enjoyed it a lot.