Awoo.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3

killemoff

It's not X-Men vs. Street Fighter either, but we still have Wolverine, X-23, Storm and Phoenix on one side and Ryu, Akuma, Chun-Li and Crimson Viper on the other. In total taking up 8 slots out of a total of 36 character slots (not counting downloadable content).

What's your point?

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's not X-Men vs. Street Fighter either, but we still have Wolverine, X-23, Storm and Phoenix on one side and Ryu, Akuma, Chun-Li and Crimson Viper on the other. In total taking up 8 slots out of a total of 36 character slots (not counting downloadable content).

What's your point?

Fighting game characters in a fighting game, surprise surprise. Does it really bother you that Street Fighter cast members made it in over megaman?

my point is: I don't really see how megaman is such a big deal, haw.

the boss fight looks awesome, btw.

SERIOUSLY!? WTF CAPCOM??

If they want to be true to the Megaman series and how it works, then they're technically right. Megaman (any of them, even the ZX ones somehow) looses any and all powers he gained in the next game. So in MVC, he'd be stuck with his Megabuster. They can work around this and give him some powers or fighting moves that use his gun, but generally they're not wrong.

Honestly I'm cool with just Zero. Zero's pretty great, and while Megaman AND Zero would have been awesome I can deal.

If they want to be true to the Megaman series and how it works, then they're technically right. Megaman (any of them, even the ZX ones somehow) looses any and all powers he gained in the next game. So in MVC, he'd be stuck with his Megabuster. They can work around this and give him some powers or fighting moves that use his gun, but generally they're not wrong.

Honestly I'm cool with just Zero. Zero's pretty great, and while Megaman AND Zero would have been awesome I can deal.

Going on that logic Zero shouldn't have any attacks besides his triple slash and Z-buster.

From a gameplay standpoint the lack of the blue bomber doesn't affect me, I never mained him in MvC1 or 2 and never played TvC either. It just seems totally contradictory to their efforts over the past few years to bring Megaman back into the gaming forefront.

If they want to be true to the Megaman series and how it works, then they're technically right. Megaman (any of them, even the ZX ones somehow) looses any and all powers he gained in the next game.
That doesn't change the fact that this kind of reasoning is an absolute asspull at best, and blatant hypocrisy at worst (let's not forget they got Arthur playable, who has far, far less to work with than the ol' Megaman especially when you subject him to the same logic). But let's just assume this is perfectly normal train of thought for the fighting genre for a second. The man can copy powers. What's wrong with him doing some Mega Manning? In mid-fight?

So in MVC, he'd be stuck with his Megabuster. They can work around this and give him some powers or fighting moves that use his gun, but generally they're not wrong.
If they think they can do Pheonix Wright of all people as DLC then I don't really see why this should be a problem.

I wouldn't be.

If these guys can do it, Capcom can. Probably better to boot.

EDIT: Oh pardon me, we're treating X and Classic as seperate characters aren't we? Oh well, this can't be too far off.

Edited by Blacklightning

I wouldn't be.

If these guys can do it, Capcom can. Probably better to boot.

EDIT: Oh pardon me, we're treating X and Classic as seperate characters aren't we? Oh well, this can't be too far off.

So the people making that game... decided to make him a ryu clone? :P that's your idea of originality?

Going on that logic Zero shouldn't have any attacks besides his triple slash and Z-buster.

Well when a character has a sword and a gun, that gives you a lot more to work with right off the bat. A gun can just shoot really, but a sword can get more into techniques and such.

That doesn't change the fact that this kind of reasoning is an absolute asspull at best, and blatant hypocrisy at worst

I never said it wasn't. But they've got SOME point there.

But let's just assume this is perfectly normal train of thought for the fighting genre for a second. The man can copy powers. What's wrong with him doing some Mega Manning? In mid-fight?

That actually might be hard to pull off and could possibly be an issue. If he did that, he would have to do it for every character, meaning quite a few special moves there. I'd rather him just use basic ones that we all know. Rolling Cutter, Leaf Shield, Gemini Laser, stuff like that.

If they think they can do Pheonix Wright of all people as DLC then I don't really see why this should be a problem.

I'm not even going to lie I have no idea how they even could do that. He is a lawyer. This is not some sort of fight court.

Although of he does a hadouken while yelling "opening statement!" that would be great. Or just hitting people with a briefcase.

What I don't get is that Megaman was in the first two games, but now he's not suitable for a fighting game?

He and Spiderman were the characters I usually used. So this kinda sucks for me. I might still buy this game when it's cheap though.

But let's just assume this is perfectly normal train of thought for the fighting genre for a second. The man can copy powers. What's wrong with him doing some Mega Manning? In mid-fight?

Because we already have Taskmaster and having a dynamic power-up function for different characters would make him incredibly awkward to implement and balance.

There's more to fighting games than just offensive manuevers. Phoenix Wright has nothing going for him apart from physical prowess and brute force, he would more than definitely rely on defensive/counter manuevers along with a somewhat unpredictable nature due to his immensely reputable luck. The way I'd see it he'd be the Hakumen of the game, relying very little on actual attacking and more on punishing and countering, not a very common trait I've seen in this game. He'd be to this game what Luigi is to Smash Bros; out of place both in mindset and powers but still at home somehow.

I could totally have seen Mega Man appearing in the game if Arthur wasn't already in, after that I was just over it.

What I don't get is that Megaman was in the first two games, but now he's not suitable for a fighting game?

The only argument that this can sustain to without having a substitute accounting for is Niitsuma's excuse for excluding Strider, but in retrospective the bigger problem in his case would be his shared license which is understandabkle.

Edited by Carbo

So the people making that game... decided to make him a ryu clone? :P that's your idea of originality?
To be fair, he can perform both a Hadoken and a Shoryuken if X1 and 2 speak for anything. ;)

In all seriousness though, I was mostly using it as an example of how MM's other weapons could work in a fighting game in addition to his chargeable buster, and consequently, that his moveset need not consist of purely punching and shooting. Like I said, Capcom can almost certaintly top it as far as the full moveset goes.

I never said it wasn't. But they've got SOME point there.
A point that is almost universally ignored in every other fighting game in the entire genre, including the crossovers. If a dev is going to deliberately limit a character's potential like that then they're already doing something very, very wrong, and I dare you to find even a single other example like this that speaks to the contrary.

That actually might be hard to pull off and could possibly be an issue. If he did that, he would have to do it for every character, meaning quite a few special moves there. I'd rather him just use basic ones that we all know. Rolling Cutter, Leaf Shield, Gemini Laser, stuff like that.
Eh, I'd say a single special move per character is reasonable - it's easier because the game's 3D, and as such most of the animations can practically be copy-pasted onto MM's model with only a few small tweaks. Add appropriate paint jobs, maybe a few extra voice clips and voila. I still agree that using MM's existing weapons would be the easiest approach though, just saying that would be a good way to mix up the variety further if Capcom somehow found it not to be enough.

I'm not even going to lie I have no idea how they even could do that. He is a lawyer. This is not some sort of fight court.

Although of he does a hadouken while yelling "opening statement!" that would be great. Or just hitting people with a briefcase.

I remember hearing that he was planned for TvC with virtually that exact move, only he yells "OBJECTION" and the letters hurt people. They claimed to have removed him on the basis that it would be difficult to translate both language and gameplay wise - each individual letter dealt its own damage, and the balancing would supposedly break between localizations because OBJECTION has nine letters and the Japanese IDIARI has, what, 3-4? Which is still a bit of an asspull when you think about it, but hey, opportunity's already come and gone.

EDIT:

There's more to fighting games than just offensive manuevers.

That's pretty much exactly my point. If Pheonix, someone with no canon fighting skill, can be made into a decent MvC3 character, then I see no reason why the same can't be done for Megaman, particularly when he already has plenty of material to work with. With that kind of character interpretation it'd be easy as piss.

I could totally have seen Mega Man appearing in the game if Arthur wasn't already in, after that I was just over it.
If clashing with Arthur's playstyle is really such a big deal, they could, y'know, just make him different. Nobody's saying they have to steal each other's spotlight or something.

That's pretty much exactly my point. If Pheonix, someone with no canon fighting skill, can be made into a decent MvC3 character, then I see no reason why the same can't be done for Megaman, particularly when he already has plenty of material to work with. With that kind of character interpretation it'd be easy as piss.

I barely see how "no fighting skill" has anything to do with "has fighting skill but only centric on one ability", but being placed in an environment without fighting skill makes it pretty much all the more interesting and creative. Wright has the advantage of starting off on a clean slate fresh and new without any actual major combat reliances to run with. There's nothing to expect from him in the least, which makes it all the more interesting to see how he'd be adapted into the situation. With Mega Man however you pretty much have things to expect, and most of them needs to stay within reasonable boundaries based on two main abilities, especially considering most people who DO care about how he played in the last two iterations would probably flip if things were too different.

I'd rather have a completely different character with varied movesets and playstyles than one recurring character who already has abilities reiterated by other better characters which I won't be playing either most likely. I realize saying that may be hypocritical since I was one of the people who bitched about Strider not being in but already having 3 of the characters I wanted the most in this game, I don't really care, and the roster seems varied and fresh enough to more than likely have me look through the other characters and keep an open mind about changing my main team.

For that matter I don't really see why complaining about one's favorite Capcom character not being in the game is such a deal when this game's existence isn't even based off of how much nostalgia fodder one can fill into this game. It might have been that once upon a time but that's not the reason this franchise lived for 10 entire years.

Anyway in other news someone got a hold of the review copy and uploaded the full, extended intro to the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAvD8HtfnSk

Disregarding the sound twitches, this looks incredible.

Edited by Carbo

Well when a character has a sword and a gun, that gives you a lot more to work with right off the bat. A gun can just shoot really, but a sword can get more into techniques and such.

Still missing the point. You said that Megaman shouldn't be able to use any of his powers because he starts each game with nothing but the buster. However this is also true for Zero and yet all of his special attacks in MvC are powers he acquires from bosses in the MMX games. There is literally no reason they couldn't do the same for Megaman. Even his MvC 1/2 version could use a few of his acquired powers, horribly implemented as they were.

So.... what I missed was:

Hsien Ko IS legit

YO WE GOT DA MAGO SENTINAL (YO I THINK OF THE NEW YORK KNICKS)

More BS on no Mega Man at all. Fuck it capcom. While classic only has the buster(a true statement really. That buster, however, has more weapons in it over the years than a redneck in the deep south would ever hold on 5 gunracks. So, yeah, only the buster... but it is very ironic, that havig only 1 buster as their reason is also dumb as fuck). Okay, so they don't like the Mega Buster. Technically, X has the Z Sabre too in X6, so technically he could work, as they want a buster and a sword. Volnutt would work, though considering Ammy already has multiple styles, that one makes sense. Technically, they could also use .EXE, as there's a decent amount of sword battlechips throughout the 6 game series. Hell, he has been in a fighting game before...

Dem Mega Swords.

EDIT-Just realized I forgot about the version of Mega in Star Force. In short.... I never played any Star Force games, so no clue on how his arsenal works.

Edited by GameFarnsworth940

Fighting game characters in a fighting game, surprise surprise. Does it really bother you that Street Fighter cast members made it in over megaman?

I was playing on your hilariously irrelevant point that 'the game isn't Mega Man vs. Marvel.' It has nothing to do with 'who made it in over Mega Man'. Their 'official' reasoning is utter bullshit and you have to be an idiot to think that it justifies not putting Mega Man in the game. They might as well have said they didn't add him because it be 'too predictable'. It'd make just as much sense. I.E. little to none.

my point is: I don't really see how megaman is such a big deal, haw.

I am one of the last people that you'd come to searching for if you want a die hard Mega Man fan, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion of a decision made by Capcom. I thought it was a stupid one and I'm going to keep saying it is. Simple as that.

Edited by Chooch

I was playing on your hilariously irrelevant point that 'the game isn't Mega Man vs. Marvel.' It has nothing to do with 'who made it in over Mega Man'.

I think it does actually, otherwise there wouldn't be beef that there's no megaman. dude, no matter which way you slice it it comes down to the fact that megaman was considered and the ultimately shelved for someone else, otherwise he'd be here.

It's not like they brushed over megaman just to piss off fans. There must have been some gameplay related reason why he isn't in the game and the whole zero i has a sword thing/mm doesn't seems fairly valid to me, although kind of lame.

With Mega Man however you pretty much have things to expect, and most of them needs to stay within reasonable boundaries based on two main abilities,
You... do realize that's not a point in your favour, right? At least Megaman has boundaries to follow, and it can't be terribly hard to make a moveset based off them. Whereas Pheonix would require you to practically build a new character from scratch, and "no expectations" isn't necessarily an advantage when you consider you have no idea what the reception will be like until it's more or less finished and shown to the public. Megaman has guidelines, Pheonix doesn't. The argument should practically be writing itself at this point.

especially considering most people who DO care about how he played in the last two iterations would probably flip if things were too different.
Because removing the character outright makes things so much better.

For that matter I don't really see why complaining about one's favorite Capcom character not being in the game is such a deal when this game's existence isn't even based off of how much nostalgia fodder one can fill into this game. It might have been that once upon a time but that's not the reason this franchise lived for 10 entire years.
Call me crazy, but I don't think I actually see anyone complaining because it doesn't fulfill their nostaligafag desires. Most of it has to do with Capcom's hilarious asspull justification from what I've observed, and the fact that some people are actually defending it for some reason.

also:

and the whole zero i has a sword thing/mm doesn't seems fairly valid to me, although kind of lame.
Umm. I'm going to assume that was accidental.

Whereas Pheonix would require you to practically build a new character from scratch, and "no expectations" isn't necessarily an advantage when you consider you have no idea what the reception will be like until it's more or less finished and shown to the public. Megaman has guidelines, Pheonix doesn't. The argument should practically be writing itself at this point.
Which is you know... a negative. Having guidelines, or dare I say restrictions to building a character is a definite negative. With Phoenix their only restriction is that he's a lawyer, they can essentially, do whatever they want. Megaman is going to have to play at least somewhat like his previous fighting game iterations (which sucked ass) or his platforming self, which is meh as well

Call me crazy, but I don't think I actually see anyone complaining because it doesn't fulfill their nostaligafag desires. Most of it has to do with Capcom's hilarious asspull justification from what I've observed, and the fact that some people are actually defending it for some reason.
You can't be serious.

You're lying to yourself if you think the Megaman backlash isn't because of nostalgia/fanboys. people without an intrest or loyalty to Megman or mascot characters don't give a shit example: every other forum on the internet where they are actually talking about the game instead of focking smegaman

The game has leaked, btw. Expect to see abunch more media from it now. LIKE THIS

Qav0f.jpg

haggar <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Which is you know... a negative. Having guidelines, or dare I say restrictions to building a character is a definite negative.
And you're not going to explain why? Or even attempt to address my point? At least these "restrictions" give some form of direction as to where the character's supposed to go, which saves a lot of time and effort in the creative process which would otherwise be used on effectively building a character entirely from scratch. The reason I bring this point up in the first place is that it's actually relevant to the asspulls that Capcom gave, in which they apparently have difficulty making a Megaman moveset even with such clearly defined boundaries that you could practically make a connect-the-dots puzzle out of it, and yet they don't seem to have any problem doing the same for a character with almost none whilst still being faithful to what's there.

With Phoenix their only restriction is that he's a lawyer, they can essentially, do whatever they want.
The interesting thing is that this is pretty much what Master Mistress Chief in DOA4 was when it came to punching things, and it didn't really stop her from being schitzophrenic in focus and just generally shit. Not saying I'm doubting Capcom's ability to design movesets or anything, just that this isn't necessarily a point in their favour.

Megaman is going to have to play at least somewhat like his previous fighting game iterations (which sucked ass) or his platforming self, which is meh as well
Then throw a bit of both in. Nobody says it has to be all one or the other.

It's also pretty interesting you'd say that about the latter, consdering it's pretty much Arthur minus switchable weapons and a charge shot. Look where that got him.

You're lying to yourself if you think the Megaman backlash isn't because of nostalgia/fanboys. people without an intrest or loyalty to Megman or mascot characters don't give a shit example: every other forum on the internet where they are actually talking about the game instead of focking smegaman
I said I couldn't see any of it here, not that it wasn't happening period. Of course, if you can prove me wrong on that count too, you're more than welcome.

In response to the bolded in particular, it's interesting you should say that because I've seen in this thread alone several people who have explicitly stated they're not actually particularly big Megaman fans, yet still strongly oppose the decision to remove him. Chooch's last post is the most recent, but I'm sure you'll find more if you go back a bit. Actually now that I've brought that up, I guess there's no harm in saying I'm not an especially big Megaman fan myself and I still think their reasoning is retarded.

boy, I used the word "interesting" a lot here didn't I

Edited by Blacklightning

Rumors circulating that Elektra will be DLC, mainly because Hand's Hideout is the only stage without a direct rep. Sounds good to me...would have preferred Daredevil though.