Awoo.

Yuji Naka Takes Over SSR D:

bmn

Indeed, the great man has hijacked the world's least modest radio station to promote his own agenda. What does this mean for you, dear public?

First, and most importantly, the Ogg Vorbis stream we've had for the past couple of years is being dropped. While it was a higher quality than the MP3 stream, it wasn't very popular with listeners, wasn't compatible with a lot of stuff, and caused our DJs a fair few problems. When I suggested dropping it, they all started moaning about things I didn't have a clue were happening. That's Web 2.0 right there, that is.

To make up for this [not so] sad loss, at long last we're improving the quality of the MP3 stream. Our old stream was 32Kbit/s, 22050Hz and Mono; the new one will be 56Kbit/s, 44100Hz... and still Mono. We're also looking at getting a few of the DJs uploading their shows to the archive in AAC-HEv2, for a crazy-low filesize and better quality than the original streams.

For now, Yuji rules the airwaves, while we work hard at re-encoding the 2000-some tracks that populate the 24/7 stream to this new quality. It should be back sometime tomorrow, I think.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmn

• Indigo Rush

• Nemain

Top Posters In This Topic

This new stream is making my day.

Wondermaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

...wait, aww. It's a lie.

Am I the only one who thought "Master Chief?" when I heard Microsoft Sam talking on the stream?

The jump in quality difference is very noticeable already. Good job guys!

Going to take a little longer than I originally thought. I encoded all the music, then realised that at some point between coding the SSR organiser thingy and starting this encode job, LAME lost the ability to auto-transfer ID3 tags. As a result, all the new files were shit and had to be deleted, and I had to code a custom tag transfer into the organiser.

Am I the only one who thought "Master Chief?" when I heard Microsoft Sam talking on the stream?

That ain't Chief, that's the Right Honourable Slim Yuji Naka.

And so, the evil Yuji Naka was defeated once again, and SSR reigns supreme.

Special Bonus: A new track selection process that should get you a better variety of tracks instead of the same old ballz all the time.

Enjoy the new SSR 24/7, guys.