Awoo.

[NDS] Ghost Trick

Sean

Shu Takumi, Ace Developer, is at it again. Taking a (hopefully short) break from the magnificent world of Ace Attorney, he's back to tackle a new project for the DS with the usual folks at Capcom: Ghost Trick.

The story so far: you're dead, your memories are gone, and you have a short amount of time to find out who killed you and why before the night is up. Are you bad enough to find your killer before you're outta time?

From the newest trailer, apparently your soul possesses a variety of objects to solve puzzles. They range anywhere from seemingly mundane (possessing an umbrella for a girl to use in the rain) to matters of life and death (turning back time to rescue said girl from being murdered). Ghost Trick still adapts the heavily story-driven nature of its predecessors, but its gameplay is something different. Really interesting.

Anything by Takumi is cool in my book. To say I'm looking forward to this is a great understatement.

This was beneath my radar the whole time until I learnt who was behind it. Now it's probably one of my anticipated DS titles. The guy who writes mainseries Ace Attorney games is a genius imo, I don't think there's any way this can be anything short of incredibly interesting. Phoenix is already confirmed to have an appearance of some sort (probably a cameo), who knows, might even be set in the same universe! (though I doubt it)

Great to hear that a western release is confirmed.

The game already seems unique enough to warrant a try... and then, the cherry on top - that it's developed by the same guy that's behind the Ace Attorney Series...

I'M GETTING THIS THE FIRST DAY ITS OUT FUCK YEAH

• 2 months later...

I'm surprised this hasn't been bumped yet. There's a demo out on Capcom's Japanese site. Its in Japanese, sure, but getting the gist of how to work it is pretty easy and I could get through it.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ghosttrick/trial.html

Either way, the game comes out today in Japan. This is probably my most anticipated DS title of the year and its not often I get anticipated for DS titles; unless ofcourse, it's Shu behind them. Which was the case of AAI. And this game.

Looks glorious.

Edited by Columind

• 6 months later...

This gets released tomorrow in GLORIOUS America and on Friday in FANTASTIC Europe. The stores around here likely won't be stocking it until the day after or two, but I'll be picking it up soon.

In the meantime, have a crossover with Dr. McNinja.

30wuno8.jpg

Really want to get this, as I enjoyed the demo, but I'm saving for a 3DS, so I'll probably have to get this at a later date. :(

The demo is out on the european Nintendo channel by the way if you want to experience it in all it's DSness lol. Good stuff indeed but alas I have to put it on my "to buy when I have money" list rather than a must-have, since I'm saving for a 3DS.

Edited by JezMM

I keep forgetting this is by the Ace Attorney guy when I just see the name "Ghost Trick". But I'm going to keep an eye on the reviews for this now. It seems like an interesting idea (and slightly more involved gameplay too), and if its got the fun to match, then I'll pick it up in a month or two when I've cleared my backlog.

Those of you saving up for a 3DS instead of this are NO FUN. But that means you'll be able to get your hands on Layton vs. Phoenix soon. Hmm, to forgive or not to forgive?...

I bought this an hour ago while waiting for my next class. I haven't made much progress, but this seems like great fun so far, and Masakazu Sugimori's rawkin' soundtrack is ace like an attorney.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game is finally out in Europe. Am I the only one playing this? (Aside from PSI, the dirty thief.) I know it's not a high-brow title, but I expected at least one other person to voice their thoughts on it here. I'll give you guys one more week before I rage.

I still haven't finished the game. I'm taking my sweet ass time; while the game doesn't seem to be as text-heavy as Ace Attorney is, it makes up for it with entertaining situational puzzles, so I consider this to be as good of a product by Takumi as any. But plot progression seems to be a bit on the slow side, so I'm hoping that chapter 8 isn't the game's halfway point or anything. I think people should GIVE UP THEIR MONEY for this game (fuck da rent).

And I had to consult a guide at one point so far. God damned water droplets ruining my streak.

The game is finally out in Europe. Am I the only one playing this? (Aside from PSI, the dirty thief.) I know it's not a high-brow title, but I expected at least one other person to voice their thoughts on it here. I'll give you guys one more week before I rage.

I still haven't finished the game. I'm taking my sweet ass time; while the game doesn't seem to be as text-heavy as Ace Attorney is, it makes up for it with entertaining situational puzzles, so I consider this to be as good of a product by Takumi as any. But plot progression seems to be a bit on the slow side, so I'm hoping that chapter 8 isn't the game's halfway point or anything. I think people should GIVE UP THEIR MONEY for this game (fuck da rent).

And I had to consult a guide at one point so far. God damned water droplets ruining my streak.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Sean. I really really REALLY want to get this, but as I said earlier, I'm saving up for a 3DS and don't have a lot of money coming in. I'll definitely get it soon after I get my 3DS though :)

I wanted to get this today but it might have to wait till tomorrow. Loved the demos and I don't play many puzzle games.

Edited by Torcano

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, Sean. I really really REALLY want to get this, but as I said earlier, I'm saving up for a 3DS and don't have a lot of money coming in. I'll definitely get it soon after I get my 3DS though :)

Fair enough. A bit unfortunate for this to be released around the shadow of the 3DS. Which reminds me, everybody (myself included) stopped giving a shit about Gyakuten Kenji 2 after Layton vs. Phoenix had been announced just days after, dohoho.

Fair enough. A bit unfortunate for this to be released around the shadow of the 3DS. Which reminds me, everybody (myself included) stopped giving a shit about Gyakuten Kenji 2 after Layton vs. Phoenix had been announced just days after, dohoho.

I've beaten all 4 of the first Ace Attorney games, and so has my wife. We got Investigations last year and my wife got so far into it, but hasn't played it in ages, so I keep nagging at her to go back to it and finish, so I can play :lol: Especially since the next one is on the way.

This game is the only reason I regret selling my DS due to lack of interest in the console and need of funds. I need to wait until March now for 3DS.

I have "lolmoney" problems :V

Besides, I downloaded PW1 & 2, but now I have the 3 games, so yeah. I'm loving this game A LOT! I'll buy it when I have the chance.

... Why must you taunt me, CAPCOM? :(

Why must you release this AND Marvel vs Capcom 3 only month apart? I REALLY want to play this game. That demo had me hyped! Sissel just seems like the perfect character to have in a situation like this...

Once I score some more cash, This IS on my gab tab! :)

Got it, working through it, godly plot.

Lost track of where I am currently, I've been playing in a continuous sitting. Last I heard there were 18 chapters so I have quite a way to go

EDIT: Done. This game is better than Ace Attorney. Excellently done, Takumi.

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really like this game. I don't love it, but I like it.

I'm going to have to say it's not nearly as good as any of the Ace Attorney games. The characters aren't as likable, and while the gameplay is a lot more fast-paced than Phoenix's investigative sections, the story doesn't flow as smoothly.

It's not a bad game by any means; I just had higher expectations, seeing as it came from the man who thought up Phoenix Wright and friends.