Awoo.

Adventure Time!

AdventChild

Nah, the King of Ooo is basically a scam artist who convinces most people he's Ooo royalty. He's about fame, narcissism, and money, but he's not evil. So I don't think PB thought he could do much harm. But she did persuade Finn and Jake to serve him (more in to their loyalty to the Candy Kingdom).

King of Ooo's election pitch.

I can see where you may have gotten this impression from the first couple of seasons, but this is definitely not the case. PB, before her letting go, was a crazy overbearing mother to the Candy people. Often times even crossing over the line in terms of privacy or interfering with other kingdoms for her kingdom's safety. She created all of them and basically spent all of her time either guiding them (because they're idiots) or creating a better life for them via science.

The last two seasons we've seen glimpses of Candy Kingdom history and I think that's where you see most of her love stem. Honestly, she was getting annoying in season 6 with crazy mother syndrome, I'm glad AT writers decided to go in this direction instead. Even if it was a bit unexpected.

So basically hes a fame hungry scam artist who got his wish, okay. but hes otherwise harmless I'm assuming or she wouldn't be cool with him parading around as king of the candy kingdom. she probably feels the kingdom itself can stand on its own 2 feet well enough for an idiot to be in charge and be okay.

Yeah like I said I haven't watched in a while, so to me she always seemed more interested in her research then leading the people.  but this all sounds like it hit in a single season.

Just finished watching Stakes. It's nothing groundbreaking like Steven Universe, but it was waaay better than the main show is imo. Really like how condensed it is, and how it avoids the random, almost directionless feel of the show with this arc. Even it's humor feels like it's more on point this time around.

If you liked the show at one point but fell out of it, I'd recommend watching it. I don't even enjoy Adventure Time most of the time, but I enjoyed nearly every second of this miniseries.

but hes otherwise harmless I'm assuming or she wouldn't be cool with him parading around as king of the candy kingdom. she probably feels the kingdom itself can stand on its own 2 feet well enough for an idiot to be in charge and be okay.

Yepppp, that's exactly it. He's an idiot ruling idiot Candy peeps

Really like how condensed it is, and how it avoids the random, almost directionless feel of the show with this arc. Even it's humor feels like it's more on point this time around.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of fans leave for more the concrete narrative shows. But I definitely wouldn't call Adventure Time 'directionless.' I had this same idea recently as a week-to-week episode as well. I constantly complained Adventure Time had changed and I continued to watch out of dedication. Then I bulk watched the entire series from season 1 to the end of season 6. I was completely wrong -- it hadn't changed at all.

Its narrative is structured unlike anything I've ever seen/watched/read upon a second glance. The storyline isn't a cascading series of events like most shows. It is structured around Finn the Human's perspective and his advancement into adulthood.

All of season 1 and 2 are random, building blocks as characters, as a child would see the world. But then Finn meets the Lich, is heartbroken, faces his fears, travels different dimensions, meets his father. You start noticing 'directionless' or filler episodes aren't as random as you thought. It transforms into something more -- Finn's psyche, how he sees the world, how the world slowly peels back Finn's filter of childhood. This is literally addressed in 'All the Little People' when Finn controls his friends and their romantic inquiries. The show is almost poking fun at itself because they're saying Finn is unintentionally GLOB and the narrative is himself. Season 5 hits hard for me because there are definitely bigger pictures there -- morality, enlightenment, forgiveness that I struggle with. That pillow episode hit me hard.

I'm honestly excited for season 7. The end of season six honestly starts a brand new slate for Finn. He decides to throw the frustration and depression he's faced over the last 3 seasons aside and continue to fight for the life he's created on Earth. I'm honestly mystified because I don't know where Finn stands. Is he now an adult with clear goals, a realistic point of view, and has a strand of hope? I'm watching to find out.

I don't know if this was Penn Ward's original intention to rewrite the story of his own child-to-teen-to-adult (as the character was Penn in the pilot), but bravo to such a complex narrative that it took more of an introspective look for me to finally wrap my head around it.

I would definitely still consider AT groundbreaking in its own right as it made SU and Over the Garden Wall even possible. But I will agree it's not for everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yepppp, that's exactly it. He's an idiot ruling idiot Candy peeps

Not anymore : P

Yeah, I've seen a lot of fans leave for more the concrete narrative shows. But I definitely wouldn't call Adventure Time 'directionless.' I had this same idea recently as a week-to-week episode as well. I constantly complained Adventure Time had changed and I continued to watch out of dedication. Then I bulk watched the entire series from season 1 to the end of season 6. I was completely wrong -- it hadn't changed at all.

Its narrative is structured unlike anything I've ever seen/watched/read upon a second glance. The storyline isn't a cascading series of events like most shows. It is structured around Finn the Human's perspective and his advancement into adulthood.

All of season 1 and 2 are random, building blocks as characters, as a child would see the world. But then Finn meets the Lich, is heartbroken, faces his fears, travels different dimensions, meets his father. You start noticing 'directionless' or filler episodes aren't as random as you thought. It transforms into something more -- Finn's psyche, how he sees the world, how the world slowly peels back Finn's filter of childhood. This is literally addressed in 'All the Little People' when Finn controls his friends and their romantic inquiries. The show is almost poking fun at itself because they're saying Finn is unintentionally GLOB and the narrative is himself. Season 5 hits hard for me because there are definitely bigger pictures there -- morality, enlightenment, forgiveness that I struggle with. That pillow episode hit me hard.

I'm honestly excited for season 7. The end of season six honestly starts a brand new slate for Finn. He decides to throw the frustration and depression he's faced over the last 3 seasons aside and continue to fight for the life he's created on Earth. I'm honestly mystified because I don't know where Finn stands. Is he now an adult with clear goals, a realistic point of view, and has a strand of hope? I'm watching to find out.

I don't know if this was Penn Ward's original intention to rewrite the story of his own child-to-teen-to-adult (as the character was Penn in the pilot), but bravo to such a complex narrative that it took more of an introspective look for me to finally wrap my head around it.

I would definitely still consider AT groundbreaking in its own right as it made SU and Over the Garden Wall even possible. But I will agree it's not for everyone.

I know; it's why I said "almost". There's some direction in it for sure, but it's hidden behind so much filler and slice-of-life episodes that it takes ages to find. Which is not not... bad, per se, but you have to stick around for so long to get any payoff from it all, I just don't see much worth in it. Not my thing, really. (even though I've seen every episode aired so far for some reason : P)

How can the whole narrative can be about Jake though when so many episodes focus on background characters, though, especially since Finn can sometimes be seen somewhere in the distance doing something else than observing them...?

Oh, and I agree with that last part, no doubt. Adventure Time as a whole was pretty disruptive to the entire animation industry, and even though I don't see much in it, I've seen enough people gush about it to know it's one of the greats. I was talking about the miniseries specifically with that statement, though I guess I could have chosen a better analogy. Meant to say it's a great and different miniseries from the main program, but not too different or groundshaking in it's handling; it's still several episodes of the same old Adventure time, just done better, imo.

How can the whole narrative can be about Jake though when so many episodes focus on background characters, though, especially since Finn can sometimes be seen somewhere in the distance doing something else than observing them...? 

I think you missed my point on narrative entirely. ;.;

As you perceive the world, each person has knowledge, biases, and morality that filters the world different from any other perspective. And Ooo, as the viewers perceive it, is Finn's perspective of Ooo.

The best analogy I can sum up is a comparison to Alice in Wonderland. Alice is experiencing this strange world, or other's say, our own world, and interpreting or imagining these things for the reader. We can't say it's a dream, 100% reality, or reality as per Alice. Or 'through the looking glass' into Alice's perception of the world.

btw, I don't think Ooo is a giant Finn dream and I believe these events are actually happening, but is it 100% reality or Finn's reality? Is that the real Marceline or how Finn perceives her? It's more conceptual than literal. Finn's not observing every moment, but his perceptions play out into the world (because writers can fuck with you like that).

I'm sure there's some filler, but they tie these episodes to plot-heavy arcs with perspective narrative. This is all about Finn's developing perspective -- you see the emotional aftermath of major plot points during these 'filler' episodes.

The best examples come from character involvement like Tree Trunks, PB, Ice King, etc. Best one is PB since there's a lot of emotion there. Have you ever noticed her character develops around impasses in Finn's life?

Start -- super chill, except quick to anger since Finn is embarrased

Breaks Finn's heart -- reclusive, more into science than people

Into Flame Princess -- non-trusting, overbearing mother, getting into other people's business

Getting Over Flame Princess -- all of a sudden getting super chill and letting go?

I mean it's not FACT, but re-watching the series brought a lot of this into perspective (heh) for me. Adventure Time is not only a cartoon show or a storyline, it is us, the audience, experiencing our coming-of-age in the land of Ooo.

Actually found another post that puts the coming-of-age and themes of Adventure Time are linked:

Adventure Time is an extremely unique cartoon, in that, the characters age in real time. It's probably the only cartoon I can think of where a main character's voice actor has noticeably gone through puberty on the show. What if the writers of Adventure Time did this on purpose and tailored the structure of the early episodes to reflect this? If you notice, many of the earlier episodes are pretty random and a lot more about fun zany silliness. That's not to say that they weren't good, but just that there didn't seem to be much direction for telling a coherent, larger story. However, as the characters have developed and grown, so has the show. Seemingly one-shot characters started to fit into a larger continuity. Previously overlooked details that once seemed to be used as gags started to be incorporated into cohesive story arcs. The narrative structure of AT parallels Finn's coming of age. When Finn was a preteen, he thought like a preteen and most of the adventures were random silliness. As he grew older, the show began to reveal a larger continuity in regards to the post-apocalyptic subtext, Finn status as (possibly) the last human in Ooo, and the moral gray areas of several characters. As a boy grows into a man, he begins to realize the world isn't as happy-go-lucky as it seems. As we venture further and further into Season 5, a lot more is revealed about evil/moral ambiguity (Finn the Human/Jake the Dog), painful relationships (Simon and Marcie), and the dark origins of Ooo itself. With Finn being the only prominently featured human, he is meant to be the most relatable character to the audience. As the show has been evolving, the audience have been growing up with Finn. The viewers of Adventure Time are coming of age just as he is.

Edited by Cee
Found a great Reddit post!
  • Thumbs Up 1

A bit late but here is my response for Part 1 and 2:

http://www.avclub.com/review/adventure-time-stakes-slays-marcelines-demons-with-228306

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-6-marceline-the-vampire-queen-stakes-part-1

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-7-everything-stays-stakes-part-2

Really don’t agree with the rating so far it is A grade for me.

And so begins the AT miniseries Stakes that focuses on Marceline’s vampirism in the past and present.

The first part Marceline the Vampire Queen starts off with Marcy deciding to go to PB to do the process of removing her vampirism. Afterward, Finn and Jake investigate a series of vampire attacks on a nearby village, thinking that it is Marceline.

I really like how they convey PB and Marcy’s friendship in this with their encounter and the process.  Also, I find Finn and Jake’s good cop/bad cop routine during their investigation to be pretty hilarious and a nice continuity with Ghost Princess and Candy Streets.

The second part Everything Stays gives us bits and pieces about Marcy’s past from being young with her mother, played by Rebecca Sugar, and gave us a sweet song to the point where Simon left Marcy when the crown takes more of his sanity and taking place after doing one of the videos from Holly Jolly Secrets. It also goes further with some neat Marcy vs vampire action and her joining a group of last surviving humans including a girl that dresses similarly to Finn/Fiona which draw some thoughtful questions about Finn’s family tree.

Also, the last few minutes where Finn had race against the sun to save Marceline was pretty intense though did top it off with a funny comment about burning her diaries.

So far a good start of the miniseries.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reactions to Part 3&4:

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-8-vamps-about-stakes-part-3

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-9-the-empress-eyes-stakes-part-4

Vamps About introduces the vampires that Marceline absorbed during her past, The Vampire King, The Empress, The Hierophant, The Moon and The Fool. They have interesting distinct physical characteristics and personalities. The more interesting being the four excluding The Fool who was the first to get offed. As for the Vamp King, he seems a formidable foe for the heroes and is interesting with a sense of suaveness though The Lich is still hard to top.

Also, a funny moment with Jake and Peppermint Butler when Jake tries to describe the vamps to Pep But and some neat fights between Marcy and the King in the past and present.

The King: Shirley J. Temple!

The Empress: Hasta Luego, turds!

The Empress Eyes brings us to the Ice Kingdom where the Empress was last seen headed to make a minion out of the Ice King who actually met her when he was known as Simon. It is also the name of The Empress’s neat hypnotic power which also has no effect on the Ice King later on.

Also, I liked the scene about Jake impaling PB’s outside grandfather clock and The Empress reading Ice King’s journal. Not to mention the nice flashback of why Marceline started to become a vampire hunter in the first place.

Finn: VAMP-I-AHH!

Ice King: UNACCEPTABLE! AHH LEMONS!

Reactions to Part 3&4:

Hidden Content

"Hasta luego, turds" made me laugh so hard.

Just finished Stakes myself! It was enjoyable to have interesting subplot with a long stream of episodes. Which is a standard in most shows, but Adventure Time has to dub it a mini-series because well.. they're AT lol. Though Adventure Time always has me wanting more. Those dicks.

I was expecting a huge emotional payoff in these episodes about Marceline's backstory, especially with such a great and sad Rebecca Sugar song. I was expecting a moment similar to episode 'What Was Missing.' But really all we got was another 10% glimpse at Marceline and the origins of Finn's tribe (and hat of course). We now know how Marcy spent her time between the Simon years and hanging out with PB. And we can now confirm Marceline's mother was a human, but there are still so many unanswered questions.

How did Marceline's father and mother meet? Why did she live with her mother? How did her mother die (I'm assuming apocalyptic-related)? Why didn't her father take her in after said mother's death? Where did Marceline go after she left the treehouse? WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT HUMAN TRIBE AND HOW DID FINN END UP BEING THE LAST ONE? I've always wondered how many humans survived the Great Mushroom War.

Baaaah, they never fufill my needs, which is both good and bad. Bahhh ~~~~

But at least I know now the King of Ooo is just a bunch of wax!

I honestly just wanted an animated version of this fan-video tbh: Everthing Stays

Gives me the serious feels.  ;____;

• Thumbs Up 1

More lateness, but gonna try to get the conclusion tomorrow.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-10-may-i-come-in-stakes-part-5

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-11-take-her-back-stakes-part-6

‘May I Come In?’ follows the group on the hunt for The Moon, known for healing abilities, but another vamp The Hierophant, a shapeshifter, comes and attacks them instead.

Speaking of shapeshifting, the vamp transforms from a boar to koala to cougar/mountain lion. Also, House Jake was pretty funny too with how it was to stop and kill the vamp.

Also, Finn with long hair was interesting and funny when was playing as bait.

The appearance of KOO, Crunchy and LSP was unexpected with the princess king going out hunting the cookie in the middle of the night but also gave the vamp directions to PB’s whereabouts and LSP tagged along for the ride for some funny lines and being part of the trap with stakes embedded in her. Not to mention Pep But’s texting to the others too.

LSP: Y’all hunting wabbits?

Take Her Back continues the vampire hunt as the group chases after The Moon. However, with Marceline poisoned and incapacitated, PB and Pep Butt take her to the poison lab in the Candy Kingdom while Finn and Jake try to capture The Moon who has demonic voice.

The dream sequences were pretty neat esp. the beginning with Simon and Betty meeting with Marceline. Definitely didn’t expect that.

Finn and Jake conversations when retrieving The Moon were funny and amusing along with Peebles barging in the Candy Kingdom to knock down KOO to save her friend. Also, PB realizing her hubris brings in some interesting character development too.

PB: Monarchies are not Democracies!

Jake: I can’t! I feel like I’m in a stop motion terror dream!

Well, better late than never I suppose.

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-12-checkmate-stakes-part-7

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-13-the-dark-cloud-stakes-part-8

Checkmate has our heroes catch up with the final vamp, The Vampire King who in reality doesn’t want to fight and doesn’t want to be a vampire anymore saying that he had changed.

It was funny how they tried to attack the VK while he just wanted to talk and the ways they try to stake him. Also, Finn, Jake and PB doing emergency mouth farting, Pep But fanboying about the VK, and the slow motion scene near the end. Not to mention referencing Bacon Pancake song with Stakes and Finn’s palm thorn stem that does nothing (at the moment).

Also, was anyone reminded of Steven U’s Lion after the lion popped out after the VK’s vampire essence was sucked out?

Marceline: Kitty!

Jake: Best makeover evah!

The Dark Cloud marks the conclusion of the miniseries as the vampire essence is accidentally released and transforms into a giant lion like dark cloud that threatens to desolate the Candy Kindom.

The between Marceline and Simon/Ice King was pretty sweet and good. Also, PB wielding an ax while on a flying couch was pretty cool and the involvement of the Fire Kingdom despite how little it is. Not to mention how Marcy sucked up the entire dark cloud of vampire essence.

I also thought it was funny when Pep But was broken into pieces, the hot dog guards getting squashed, and Crunchy instantly taking up the throne after K.O.O melted and declaring himself as a ruthless princess.

Ending with Marceline singing with Everything Stay’s is really sweet. Not to mention it sounds like a metaphor or allegory for the miniseries as well as the show at large that even though things may seem the same on the surface things gradually change in little ways.

So overall it is a really good miniseries that sheds light on Marceline’s past. Though it does makes me eager to learn more of it. And I like to see another miniseries next season probably focusing on more of PB’s origins/history, Simon and Betty’s past and present, or more about the history of the remaining humans/hyoomans, leading to Finn’s birth. 

As an added bonus, let me direct you to Kaboom!’s Adventure Time 2015 SPOooKTACULAR which also dives more into Marceline’s vampire hunting past.

http://fangirlnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AT_2015_Spoooktacular_001_A_Main-e1445957056989.jpg

http://graphicpolicy.com/tag/adventure-time-2015-spooktacular/

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/bmo-learns-growing-confusing-poignant-adventure-ti-229358

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-14-15-the-more-you-moe-the-moe-you-know

From learning more of Marcy’s vampire past in the 8 part miniseries Stakes, we now learn more about BMO’s past about its father, Moe and its other siblings along with his dilemma about the complications about growing up and change and how his imagination is special.

The episode starts with the gang celebrating BMO’s ‘birthday’ with Moe coming to visit with a new robotic body as his flesh one broke down. He sends BMO out back to the Mo factory from the episode Be More on a solo mission and uncovered the truth about what really happened to his creator and his siblings.

I really like the imagery and scenery in this one with BMO’s thoughts and winteriness of it all including when BMO tries to talk with Air or Bubble from BMO Lost which is great continuity btw, and the scene at the end on the cliff where AMO fell.

Finding out that the rest of the MOs becoming ALLMO in the trash compactor and that the creator has passed on had carried a somber tone throughout the episode along with AMO vs BMO fight and the aftermath in the end. The setting compliments it well too. Also, ever since Be More, the introduction to those things made us think that Moe and the MOs would be visited again and bring in new adventures in eps, but when we get it here, we get something opposite and messes with expectations again. But with the memory disk BMO has now, we could get more of Ooo’s history out of it.

Not to mention AMO being somewhat a tragic figure who is programmed to be a weapon as well as only to receive love rather than give it like BMO.

Favorite Quotes:

Jake: Everyone is all jollied out when it’s your turn to jolly.

BMO: Eating helps me grow!

BMO: But does growing up just change your body? Or also your soul?

Jake: Show us what you did, Hang Man!

ALLMOS: Whoa…you just blew my mind.

Jake: Burgess Meredith?

BMO: "I don't think I can. I'm not grown up, or, I'm too grown up now. I think I just killed someone."

Jake: Sorry your birthday was weird!

• 1 month later...

Off-topic: How do you use spoilers?

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/adventure-time-uses-theater-explore-alienation-and-230438

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-16-summer-showers

Summer Showers stars Jake’s daughter Viola who is making it as an aspiring actress but has problems when LSP makes her an assistant than starring in the play she created.

It was a nice and calm episode that spotlights one of Jake’s children and Viola is really likable when dealing and putting up with what LSP does to her. Yet even LSP does have some good comedic lines throughout. Not to mention getting some development out of her when she talks to Viola about her childhood/past. The play felt kinda Henrik Ibsen-esque in how it looked and felt and that LSP manages to create it does open up some potential development if the show allows.

Along with a handful of LSP’s lines, the humor was pretty good from the rehearsal problems to Viola standing up to LSP and teleporting her to Ice King’s castle to Jake stretching out more to give Viola a proper applause. Also, the scenes with both dad and daughter were rather nice and heartfelt too.

Fave Quotes:

Viola: “Time is a slippery devil. Our lives are sudden. They come and go like...like a summer shower.”

LSP: “Stop interrupting me when I’m trying to explain things childishly!”

LSP: “Don’t interrupt me when I’m berating you!”

LSP: “This play is set in a country called Een-gland, and in Een-gland anyone called Tree Trunks is always called Miranda Hobson during the summer.”

LSP: “Have you finally figured out what rain looks like?”

Mr. Pig: “Kissing Sceeeene!”

15 hours ago, AdventChild said:

With the SU bomb finished recently, now prepare for the AT bomb this week!

I feel like we've been waiting for this stop motion episode for quite a while. I'm excited :)

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/bmo-gets-aggressive-when-he-stages-elaborate-adven-230599

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-17-angel-face

Spoiler

It’s rootin’ tootin’ western robot cowboy fun in the first episode of AT’s bomb, Angel Face, as BMO role play’s as a cowboy and drags Jake into being a horse with sentient sandwiches and get into some bounty hunting trouble.

BMO has been getting some love lately this season with Football and The More You Moe, The Moe You Know, tackling the little bot’s overactive imagination and the issues of growing up. This episode further tackles the prior of his imagination though he seems to be a bit more aggressive this time around. Really like his song though.

Poor Jake getting spurred literally into action for BMO’s game. Not to mention his horsey expressions are pretty funny despite the fact.

NEPTR appearing was a bit of a surprise, but seems like a running gag about his absence usually due to a game or doing it for BMO. More of a surprise however is the return of Me-Mow who tries to take Finn AKA Jack Rabbit Johnson for a bounty. The gun fight between BMO and her was pretty fun esp. with the snake blow dart. Also, the joke at the end where they bring Me-Mow into a high security prison cell after saying how she can get out and get revenge.

Lastly, I like the attention to detail in some things like the making of the sentient sandwiches and the things that stick out in the desert scenery such as the boat, the airplane, and even the Statue of Liberty.

Fave Quotes:

Jake: “I did try! Horses are hard!” (Stretches into a more equine shape.) “How’s that?” BMO: “Ehn. It reads.”

BMO: (whispering) “Steady girl.” Jake: “Wha?” BMO: “I’m going to mount you now.”

Jake: "You had a real gun all this time?" BMO: "I'm old enough to vote."

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/weird-al-takes-finn-jake-under-sea-scattered-adven-230643

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-18-president-porpoise-is-missing

In a new AT Banana Man AKA Weird Al takes Finn and Jake and dives deep in the search of President Porpoise which also leads Banana to find some kind of companionship with a guppy girl named Cybil.

Even though I actually prefer We Fixed a Truck over this one with its Weird Al use, I still find this episode to be pretty enjoyable and have a good amount of funny moments and gags and do feel like a throwback to earlier season episodes. It’s also an adventure that messes expectations with how serious the synopsis or title sounds but the episode moves in a different mild lighthearted tone. My favorite moment probably has to be the gag when random characters popped out after the gang leaves for the submarine.

Another good gag was Jake’s claustrophobia that makes use of his stretching powers to shrink near microscopic levels. Also, he and Finn pulling fish puns with the fish court when they try to accuse Vice President Blowfish.

The moments with Ice King and BMO were really fun too when they imaged themselves in an underwater submarine battle.

Banana Man had some nice scenes when he reflects on his shyness and how poorly he communicates and make friends with others and in need of companionship. Also, the song was pretty okay and when he interacts with Cybil.

Fave Quotes:

Jake: “Look at how small I am!”

Octopus: “You’re not allowed to puff out in the Court of Food!”

Ice King: “Boy, when I first signed up for this adventure I just wanted to see pretty mermaids. But now I realize it’s all about the camaraderie of my fellow sailors.”

Cybil: “National politics don’t really represent my interests.”

Jake: “Dying together sucks less than dying alone”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/adventure-time-explores-horror-conventions-sharp-e-230699

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-19-blank-eyed-girl

Urban myths/Horror tropes esp. the creepy girl one gets turn on its head with this AT installment entitled Blank Eyed Girl.

The episode does really balance the creepiness and the humor quite well from the atmosphere and the girl’s creepiness to Finn and Jake talking simultaneously at the same time and dialogue is just chock full of funny moments. The funniest part would have to be for me is when Jake played the clarinet and more blank eyed girls came out and started dancing.

Jake getting frustrated and freaking out and calling much of Starchy’s conspiracies and advice baloney had some good reactions and delivery. Speaking of Starchy, the continuity with Cherry Cream Soda about his wife leaving him was a nice touch and his radio show moments added on to the humor as well. Not to mention Finn’s girly scream and “Butt Stuff”.

It does get a deep when Finn talks about tulpas and his monologue about fear of things they don’t understand.

Finally, the bizarre ending where the blank eyed girls slowly reveal themselves as some kind of dandelion people had me very surprised and Finn and Jake’s reaction basically reflects mine. But I do agree with BMO in that seeing them depart was beautiful.

Fave Quotes:

Starchy: “It’s our fifth anniversary show! So many things have happened in that time: I switched from drinking rain water to eating distilled ice chips! I took up rock climbin’! My wife left me. And all-new conspiracies!”

Starchy: “And why is the Burrito Man is giving away free burritos? He is an amateur mad scientist trying to genetically changing us into tortillas.”

Jake: “No more relying on hearsay! We’re going to take it to the source: secondary source.”

Jake: “Why don’t we call Child Services? Or an exterminator?”

Finn: “Sittin’ on my not creepy butt.” BMO: “Heh. Your butt is kinda creepy.”

Jake: “It’s baloney! It’s baloney! It’s Starchy’s baloney!”

Jake: “Nooo! Pizza’s creepy now!”

Jake: “So you all are bald! Good job! I’m still calling the cops!”

Finn: “What the junk was that?” BMO: “I think it was…beautiful.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/adventure-times-stop-motion-episode-praises-healin-230788

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-20-bad-jubies

Bad Jubies place Finn, Jake, BMO and LSP in a stormy situation as they prepare for a mega deadly storm by creating a bunker with Jake having other things in mind for preparation.

First and foremost, the stop motion animation is very top notch and the characters and setting really translate very well in this style. And I honestly would like to see more guest animated episodes done in this style too. Even though I still place Food Chain as my favorite of the guest animated episodes for anime-ish style and has good music/songs.

LSP’s interactions with the others were great esp. with scolding Jake on the hill when he wasn’t helping out with the bunker and when they were getting cabin fever during their time there.

Jake getting in tune (literally) with nature provided some nice calm scenes and when he imitated nature sounds, he added a beatbox/remix beat to it that made it sound pretty neat too. I like how it got rid of the Bad Jubies of the group of friends in the bunker when they were at each other’s nerves as well as the storm that appears later, showing how nature can calm nerves and give you good vibes when you’re down or depressed.  

Fave Quotes:

“Expect stormnado winds and an impending monsoonami. Flurricanes possible. Chance of survival: 29%.”

Jake: “You’re thinking too much with those eyeballs, not enough with your mind-hole, or whatever computer thingy you’ve got up in there.”

LSP: “I see nothing! You’re working on nothing!”

Jake: “And that's why you should never rely on technology. No offense, BMO.”

LSP: “Whatever, Finn! I’m not here to make friends! I’m here to not die.”

Jake: “The dope beats of life!”

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-21-kings-ransom

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/gunters-abduction-spells-potentially-big-changes-i-230842

Spoiler

And so the AT bomb closes with story arcing episode involving Finn, Jake and Ice King searching for Gunther and IK’s stolen crown.

I really liked how they used Jake’s stretch ability in this one from turning into Gunther to creating a small army of himself to chase after the foxes to becoming a safari jeep.

Ice King was pretty funny with the dialogue esp. when he interrogated the fox who wanted to relax in bed. However, the surprising thing was when IK was reverting back to his old Simon self when his crown was farther away from him. Also, the culprit being Betty seemed like the biggest and most obvious possibility because of it. Did like the detail of Orgalorg in Gunther’s eyes when Betty was tampering with the crown. However, whether or not this will be able to fix Simon is still a mystery or that it’ll trigger some kind of catastrophic effect or event along the line because of how Betty is still under Magic Man’s influence. Only time will tell if this leads to restoration or destruction.

Fave Quotes:

Finn: “What do you think, Jake? Should we check out the Ice Kingdom for clues?” Jake: “Or, we could get a really good night’s sleep, and start fresh and early in the morning!” (Finn glares.) (Jake honks.)

“Yeah, what? You guys act like you ain’t never heard of no ransom note before.”

Ice King: “The last time I saw Gunter, I was yelling at him for pooting. But it wasn’t Gunter who pooted! It was me!” Finn: “Hey, man. You can’t blame yourself.” Jake: “Everybody poots.”

Ice King: “These foxes think they can outfox Ice King? Time to pay a visit to a foxy old friend.”

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-22-scamps

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/adventure-time-scams-kids-learning-criminal-nature-231064

Spoiler

Scamps have Finn ‘scamming’ a group of Marshmallow kids into learning about camping so they can be less of delinquents.

It was nice to see some continuity with the appearance of the Pup gang as well as Jake and Finn doing buddy cop stuff like in Candy Streets esp. Jake shapeshifting into a car. Also, PB sporting some feathery fashion statement was pretty nice.

Finn’s interaction with the marshmallow kids was funny when he teaches them using grift lingo and language like bamboozled, flim flam, hoodwinked, etc., along with the scene where they tried to save him from caramelized quicksand.

What I also like that it shows a bit of growth and maturity for Finn’s character. From going on adventures to dealing with love/lost and daddy issues, he is now passing down his adventuring skills to others, becoming more like a mentoring/”father” figure. Pretty nice and steady progress.

Fave Quotes:

Starchy: “And they laugh at me for carrying my life’s savings in my pocket.”

Jake: “Wow, $500 bucks a day! Wow, 500 bucks.”

Marshmallow kid: “Look at all these bugs! Just like in my mom’s kitchen.”

PB: “I’ll assume everything’s great because if it wasn’t, you would have said something. Bye!”

Finn: “You can always scam nature into being a shelter.”

Finn: “Stick with me boys, I’ll teach you all the forest hustles.”

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/finn-and-jake-mess-multiverse-striking-interdimens-231361

http://www.watchcartoononline.com/adventure-time-season-7-episode-23-crossover

Spoiler

A major crossover happens in this episode that is entitled as Crossover, but not in a way you might expect. It isn’t really crossover with other CN shows like Steven Universe or Regular Show, but rather with the Farmworld from the season 5 premiere.

The premise is Prismo calls Finn and Jake to help ‘take care’ of Farmworld Finn as he attempts to open pathways to the multiverses with the help Jake the Lich.

Great continuity nods were definitely scattered throughout from Prismo’s pickles to the Enchiridion to Billy/Bobby to Finn’s Finn sword and Grass Sword. I liked some of the humor including Jake’s transformations with spelling out magic and Prismo changing the timeline events of Farmworld like it was video editing software.

There was great voice direction with Jeremy Shada going back and forth between the Finns as well as their interactions with one another. And of course, Ron Perlman as Jake Lich is great with his ominous and intimidating tone. Also, the point when the Lich’s hand got knocked into the multiverse with one landing on BMO felt like some kind of foreshadowing in way but who knows.

Not to mention the ending with Finn looking upon his alternate Farmworld family has a somber and somewhat sad feel to it esp. when it holds a shot of FW Finn talking to his dad, reminding us how much a prick Martin is to his son and the father-son relationship that will probably never be.

Fave quotes:

Finn: “Well, this is the weirdest thing I’ve ever done.”

Prismo: “Thanks for responding to my call, guys. I’m in a serious pickle. And I mean the bad kind. I mean like a really smelly brown pickle.”

Jake: “Why anything? Why is the sky blue, bro?”

Big Destiny: “Big D’s mind is back! I must escape first try! Whoo!”

Jake: “Argh! It’s like the most evil heartburn!”

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the wait for new episodes is nearly over along with a new time slot with next week's premiere of the Saturday block entitled Regular Time Adventure Show that has an hour of Regular Show and AT back to back with new episodes nestled in.

The days of new episodes every week being a thing has long since been dropped, ever since the year 2014. So scheduling has been erratic, just little.

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The days of new episodes every week being a thing has long since been dropped, ever since the year 2014. So scheduling has been erratic, just little.

Haha, thanks. Though I was being sarcastic. Hard to convery via text. Am I right?

I'll just continue blaming the movie development until it's released.