Awoo.

Adventure Time!

AdventChild

Spoiler

Son of Rap Bear: Flame Princess is tricked by King of Ooo’s aide, Toronto, into a rap battle against son of Rap Bear who has damaging and great rap diss powers. And if she doesn’t bring her A game and lose, she’ll lose the entire Fire Kingdom too!

The raps and rhymes in this one was pretty off the chain, yo! Also, I really like the number of cameos during FP’s adventure rap with Starchy and the Blank Eyed Girl, Marceline and Banana Man. It was pretty nice to see FP trying to reconcile with her dad and there is some decent character development out of Flame King, who does change and wants to move on, but sadly still doesn’t want to acknowledge the abuse and trauma that he caused her. Also, very cute chipmunk rap and such an epic diss rap from FP at the end.

Fave Quote:

Rap bear: He rapped my legs off.

Flame King: No room for the body… Let’s make him swim.

Flame King: Phoebes c’mon. It’s better to be thankful for what you have now! An awesome chipmunk dad!

Bonnibel Bubblegum: This episode drops a bombshell of exposition and backstory around the birth of the Candy Kingdom and its people. Finding a goblet in a pool of sparkling apple juice causes PB to reminisce 800 years in the past where she created her first family, consisting of Uncle Gumbald, Aunt Molly and Cousin Chicle. However, Gumbald wants to create a candy city and become a franchise while PB wants to have fun with her family. After being forced on a date with Cream Puff, she discovers Gumbald hatching a plan to dumb her down with dumdum juice and take over the family ‘business’, but it backfires. And during all this the origins of Crunchy, Manfred, and Punch Bowl are revealed and begins the start of the Candy Kingdom.

But now PB knows about Gumbald’s return and the question is to why and how has yet to be discovered.

Fave Quotes:

PB: Oh Neddie, you sweet chicken.

Candy Fish: *Gasp! I can’t breathe air!

Gumbald: Bonnibel, you’ve micromanaged me for the last time!

Mr. Cream Puff: Date’s over babe! Pick you up tomorrow to get matching tattoos!

• 5 months later...
Spoiler

Finally, getting some new AT eps and starting off this round of new ones is Seventeen which is also the number of our human hero’s birthday today. However, his party is crashed by the Green Knight later revealed to be Fern and his steed being Gumbald and the rest of PB’s family and challenged Finn to some B-day party games. Really like how Huntress Wizard is getting more screen time and her relationship with our hero being more established. Also, Starchy squeezing in some funny lines here an there. But man, Jake having Ice King dressed up as Finn’s ex Flame Princess when he burst out of the B-day cake was pretty low blow and can ruin anyone’s b-day. Poor Finn.

Ring of Fire showcases Tree Trunks and looks at her backstory, mainly her dating and love life as she recollects the journey of an engagement ring that belong to Randy, one of her exes. The sassy elephant had an interesting past and love life from marrying her high school date Randy only to leave him for the pirate life and meeting the tight warthog Daniel who was part of a scheme for a pirate mutiny to finally being top CEO of shipping corporation where Wyatt was her secretary. Also, some world building with the Tiny Mammal Kingdom and funny how Wyatt refers to the ring as his Suck Suck Ring.

Marcy and Hunso is an episode about who else? Marceline and her demonic daddy dearest Hunson Abedeer. It starts off with Peppermint Butler forging a new sword for Finn and summons Hunson for the finishing touches. However, he wants to see his daughter before returning so Pep Butt seals his powers, so he doesn’t go soul sucking. They meet up with Marcy at her house as Hunson tries to prove that he’s a better person, unbeknownst that Cousin Chiclet following behind them. Things don’t go smoothly when Hunson wreck’s his daughter’s concert and worst still when Chiclet gets involved and causes a riot with the ghosts with Finn using his new Night Sword to save the day. It ends in the Candy Kingdom with PB as Marcy thanks her dad for standing up for her. Hunson is still a funny and great dad character and steals most of the show esp. the flashback where he literally crashes Marcy’s pad to suck souls. Also, of course, a great song by the vampire queen herself:

I've been binge-watching the show for the past two years or so, and I'm almost caught up with the series. It's been fun. Goofy, silly, imaginative, sometimes touching, fun. Just like Gravity Falls several years back, I'm glad I'm able to be caught up in time for the finale.

Which is, apparently, coming very soon.

Man, can't wait for that finally.

Fan fact, I actually ditched the show around season 6. I just felt like it become way too pretentious and stuck in it's own butt. Returned to it few months ago, because I heard they actually ending (something some shows just won't do).

And outside few bumbs, I had really fun time.

Spoiler

The First Investigation explores old familiar (literal) haunting grounds of their parents’, Josh and Margaret, house as Kim Kil Wan wants Finn and Jake to investigate a possible ghost infestation. They encounter poltergeist activity that freaks Jake out, but later came to realize it were time slips caused by Clock Bear, who used to be part of Dr. Gross’s zoo. The major (and entertaining) events to conspire were the time slips with Finn interacting with their baby selves and Jake witnessing his ‘melon’ birth and joining his alien birth parent to someplace else as Finn takes it in stride. Also, the continuity nods were good, and it was fun to see Joshua and Margaret even for a few minutes.

Blenanas follows up the last episode (somewhat) with Finn and BMO wondering and finding out about Jake’s message that leads to rediscovering an issue of BLE, Ooo’s equivalent of MAD magazine. After doing a caption picture gag and wanting to prove that it is funny to BMO, he goes to find others that does. First, he goes to Princess Bubblegum who hilariously initiates a drill to prepare the candy people against her ‘family’ and considered too smart for his humor. Then he goes to Ice King who happens to be a BLE fan as much as he is and decides to head over to the mag’s HQ. After defeating the pudding troll guarding the place, they discover the place was not operating due to the staff being dead. So, with the help of IK’s penguins they publish their own crudely made issue before demolishing the place. Finn heads back and made BMO laugh by slipping on a banana peel. I like how tackling the concept of subjective comedy has been a funny ride in of itself and rather meta too.  

Jake the Starchild, like last episode, follows up The First Investigation but from Jake’s perspective as he is taken by his alien biological father, Warren Ampersand, to his home world to fulfill a prophecy to defeat an intergalactic monster. Jake gets an ego boost through Jakeseum and the trials but gets easily tired. It’s later revealed that it was all staged by Warren, so he can siphon Jake’s stretchy powers through belts and be able to live longer. By Jake’s skills of grifting, he managed to switch the belts to regain vitality back and managed to toss Warren into a black hole after he threatened to do siphon the power from his pups. Warren’s plan of siphon kinda reminded me of Starlord’s father from GotG Vol.2 in a way who had something similar just with destruction of worlds. Also, how Warren managed to transform so fluidly was neat to see. But do wonder how Jake is going to get back home.

• 5 weeks later...
Spoiler

Temple of Mars takes a journey to Normal/King Man’s home planet as Finn and Jermaine tries to find Jake who has been gone for five weeks. Starts off with Finn meeting up with Jermaine after going to the store for about a hundred boiled eggs and after realizing how long Jake has been gone in space they search for answers on Mars. They meet up with Normal Man who says he is king and soon after with Betty who is recuperating/rehabilitating from being insane by filling up a large hole grain by grain. The three are lead to a temple with mental trials including killer frogs, a frozen math equation that is messed with, and a white void that leads to a window into Betty’s past where she tries to change it. They eventually find Jake in said void and return to meet Normal Man where Betty tells him about a crazy idea that can save Simon and Margles from Gorb that questions her sanity. The trials reflect the baggage or unresolved issues of the person, for Finn it was Fern due to one of the frogs looking like him and Betty were the crowned frogs, the ice equation, and of course, the past self-interaction. Also, Jermaine complains that the trials didn’t involved him whatsoever until Finn revealed that his bald cut was due to lice infection that has him spooked.

In Gumbaldia, tensions rise as PB and Uncle Gumbald prepare for war as they gear up gumball guardians and banana guards to giant cake mechs. Finn, showing maturity, wants no war and tries the diplomatic approach as he and Jake travel to Gumbaldia. After a confrontation with Fern, the two talks with Gumbald for peace talks and convince him to stand down. It seemed to go swimmingly after Jake rescues him from falling off a scaffolding and he agrees which leads to a celebratory meal followed by getting dosed by a pink liquid. Said liquid happens to be dum-dum juice after Peppermint Butler regressed into an infantile state. It’s the straw that breaks the camel’s back as PB sound the alarm for war. Meanwhile after Aunt Lolly’s chemical warfare failed, Gumbald creates a Legion of Doom with past antagonists including Ricardio, Scorcher, and others. But I do have a hunch that a certain undead evil might return too if this war gets intense enough like the Mushroom Cloud one.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, kimplix said:
  Hide contents

MY HEART AAAAAAAAAAHH!!

DmNDTSSVAAI5KZI.thumb.jpg.a2d30f22df689971efb64ff6d4a57b7e.jpg

Right? I know they've been teasing it for quite awhile, but it's officially canon now! I've got to give them credit for giving more representation to the same-sex relationships.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was disappointed more characters didn't die. Or a impactful one at least like regular show. Though technically bemo said they all eventually do. I'm guessing that  white cat is the new king or queen

Man, it's incredible that the series lasted so long, but it still feels weird to watch it conclude. I was hoping for surprises and they delivered in spades. If there's one character I wished to see more of though, it was Huntress Wizard. Oh well!

My favourite joke was LSP taking a quick selfie in the madness. As for an emotional moment, it is had to be Bubblegum and Marceline. I just hope the UK won't censor that scene like they did with one of Steven Universe's fusion dances.

So as a person who hasn't watched this show in a long time I just have to ask

Spoiler

When did Marceline and PB have a thing for each other? I stopped watching a while ago so this just seems like a big heel turn to me since they were portrayed as straight early on. Don't take this the wrong way,  i'm just legitimately curious since I haven't caught this show in a long time.

16 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

So as a person who hasn't watched this show in a long time I just have to ask

Hide contents

When did Marceline and PB have a thing for each other? I stopped watching a while ago so this just seems like a big heel turn to me since they were portrayed as straight early on. Don't take this the wrong way,  i'm just legitimately curious since I haven't caught this show in a long time.

There have been various hints towards a very close relationship in the their past, as well as Marceline's voice actress outright confirming that they had a thing. And remember, they never expressed that they were only into men.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

This teaser was posted a few weeks ago. Not seen this show for years so this will be interesting