Awoo.

Adventure Time!

AdventChild

Just watched the season premiere and ...

I was hoping for more alternate dimension hopping .. but they've already made it back home

:(

Those two episodes were really magical. <3. I thought it was really cool to see the nuclear bomb that set off the apocolypse explode. Although Finn seemed to be controlled by the crown much quicker than the Ice King, but Finn was much more panicked and distressed than Simon was at the time of crown wearing.

But the ending was a bit lackluster, P had to spell the damn thing out for Jake. :U

That really was a great Season premiere. The dead Simon, old crazy Marceline, Finn's human family, the Destiny gang, and seeing Finn be taken over by the crown and start the apocalypse was all pretty cool.

The ending was lackluster though. Wanted to see the fight between crazy Finn and mutated Jake. And what happened to the Lich? Is he hanging out with Prismo or was he transported back to Ooo? Ending could've been better, but it also could've been worse I suppose.

So finally finished watching the premiere

I think that the parts with Jake and P really messed up the episode for me. I mean I can see it as a means to break up the tension from what was happening in Finn's wish dimension, but it just happened too much and too often, though I guess it makes sense seeing as that half of the episode was meant to be more Jake centered (hence the title). Plus Jake's stupidity throughout the whole thing was a bit of a turn off especially when it came to making his wish.Though I did get a good giggle/whatthefuck moment out of the pickle innuendo.

As for Finn's wish dimension: It's messed up as fucking hell. Finn's family being in terrible conditions, Simon and Marceline, The Gang burning down the fucking town, Finn putting on the Ice Crown and going insane, Jake becoming the Lich; so much shit went down and I almost wanted to cry through the entire thing, and the presentation only makes things more heart wrenching (especially when Finn's family sees him slowly deteriorating into the Ice King, and Jake becoming the Lich) This alone made the premiere pretty stellar.

Also, I kind of find it interesting how the two biggest heroes in the show (Finn & Jake) end up turning into the two biggest villains (The Ice King and The Lich) in Finn's wish dimension

The whole episode has zero relevance to anything.. You can't tell me that's how Ooo began, that it was created in a wish dimension. The episodes had a more of a "what - if " setting than anything else.. I'm surprised the whole thing didn't end up with everyones memories erased after meeting the Cosmic Owl.

So much potential for inter-dimensional travel and adventures (leading to possible cross-overs) down the toilet :(

I'm sorry, but I think the problem with Adventure Time almost seems like too much fanservice and interconnectivity within the episodes now. Reading the last page, I have to agree that I hated season 4. I realize Ward and team is trying to develop characters, but seriously, it's getting too deep. This isn't Dr. Who, okay? My favorite episodes are Son of Mars and Nightosphere. You know, where there's inconsequential information but good storytelling? Yeah, something entertaining.

All these stale episodes are produced from people just overthinking plot and interconnectivity instead of writing and storytelling. I was kind of disappointed with the premiere, but there were highlights.

I liked the idea of jumping through dimensions and wishes, but did I really want to explore the Mushroom Wars? Not really. I like to understand backstory of characters, but they're kind of making the creation of Ooo way too dark and intense for me. I liked Jake's times with P, surprisingly. Adventure Time, to me, is supposed to be something fun to watch rather than something painful but begrudging to watch and that was Finn's piece. I want random bits that make me laugh again. Where's that party wolf or Abraham Lincoln when you need them? Ending was awful, but that can be said for a lot of Season 4 endings for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm sorry, but I think the problem with Adventure Time almost seems like too much fanservice and interconnectivity within the episodes now. Reading the last page, I have to agree that I hated season 4. I realize Ward and team is trying to develop characters, but seriously, it's getting too deep. This isn't Dr. Who, okay? My favorite episodes are Son of Mars and Nightosphere. You know, where there's inconsequential information but good storytelling? Yeah, something entertaining.

All these stale episodes are produced from people just overthinking plot and interconnectivity instead of writing and storytelling. I was kind of disappointed with the premiere, but there were highlights.

I liked the idea of jumping through dimensions and wishes, but did I really want to explore the Mushroom Wars? Not really. I like to understand backstory of characters, but they're kind of making the creation of Ooo way too dark and intense for me. I liked Jake's times with P, surprisingly. Adventure Time, to me, is supposed to be something fun to watch rather than something painful but begrudging to watch and that was Finn's piece. I want random bits that make me laugh again. Where's that party wolf or Abraham Lincoln when you need them? Ending was awful, but that can be said for a lot of Season 4 endings for me.

I Heavily disagree with you right now. I actually didn't have cable for years, and watched the entire show in a totally random order over this summer on repeats and on dvd 1st season. I could never tell what order I was watching because they were all good. Only the recent episodes were in order. I think all the character development has been very natural and never jarring. And most importantly the characters ALWAYS are true to themselves no matter the universe.

Characters never become Mary Sues for the story at hand.

I frankly thought this was better written than recent Doctor Who episodes in terms of internal logic.

Let me write a SPOILER post about why I loved the episode:

Finn was full-metal awesome, I loved how stoic and brave our hero was before the crazy. Good contrast to Jake.

But for me as an adult viewer, this episode resolved some great Jake episodes of him just not caring too much unless he's enthused but also revealing over time the true extent of his mental powers as well as a desire to become one with the universe. I couldn't stop laughing and just enjoying the whole idea that Jake is with the Cosmic Owl and P who chill together in hot tubs because they're lonely cosmic beings with no equivalents.

I thought it was very fun and not nearly the downer you make it out to be. Ooo was ALWAYS a post-apocalyptic setting. That didn't change at all.

I swear the show makes fun of gender switching/fanfic writing fanboys not celebrate them.

The fact the "serious" Finn story gave way to the hilarious Jake one just shows they aren't catering to those obsessed about Zelda timeline splits in the post-thaw alternative timeline and just want to watch a weird but fun Adventure Time story.

This one delivered to me in a big way.

TLDR: The story wasn't taking itself too seriously, you were taking the story too seriously.

Edited by Ball Hog Badnik
  • Thumbs Up 3

I thought it was very fun and not nearly the downer you make it out to be. Ooo was ALWAYS a post-apocalyptic setting. That didn't change at all.
But is it just me or are Adventure Time stories getting darker? There's always been an undertone of whackiness and adult humor, but I think they've been targeting the darkness more that they've reached a very strong adult following. And sure, it's always has a post apocalyptic vibe, but they've never focused on it as much until recently. Like there's been glimpses like Memory of a Memory and Susan Strong, but I think the real tipping point was 'Holly Jolly Secrets' and now strings of episodes like 'Remember You' and this has been billowing. The fanbase became obsessed with the Mushroom Wars and Simon Petricov. Which is actually kind of awesome, because I want to see the most of Ice King that I can.

TLDR: The story wasn't taking itself too seriously, you were taking the story too seriously.
Maybe I have been taking the story too seriously. It's hard not to when you have friends on the storyboard team I guess. Maybe I'm just more of a fan of the 'animation short' original sketches to the show rather this string of series. There are also a lot of characters I don't care as much for as well.. so I guess I wasn't very interested in the episodes dedicated to them.

Edit: Also. I WANT. http://imgur.com/gallery/yTOpC

Edited by cdc
  • Thumbs Up 3

lol I like me some Fionna character design with Christmas spirit (plus my boyfriend linked it to me...) and I liked the art for the other (mostly because I love the Ice King). Nothing more than that. I do like the genderswap stuff occasionally but I definitely don't want it to be a central point to the series and am not obsessed with it like other fans seem too. The flame prince is when it just goes toooo far. What I write is troof.

Also tangent: has anyone started watching Brave Warriors that's starting to get published on CartoonHangover? #yaypenward

My biggest concern about the show is that things are just moving along too quickly in terms of Finn's age. I understand that Finn's voice actor is getting older, but I don't want to see him get any older than 15. I want him to retain his naïve, boyish nature.

He's still 14 now right? Bubblegum is entering her 20s which explains why she is trying out less princessy clothing and Jake must have hit 30.

I honestly am excited to see Jake become a dad and learn that he has to care about his kids all the time and grow up a little.

I think it's only scary to think about the characters growing up because we don't know what will happen to them. But growing up is a part of life and I'm glad that the show isn't just stuck in a permanent state of nothing changing.

I just think its happening too quickly, really. Also, I heard somewhere that only Finn ages.

Your right because only Finn ages in human years.

That's why he's Finn the Human ;)

The Idea Channel covered Adventure Time! This is very exciting aaaaaand could explain why I love/hate Adventure Time so much nowadays lol. It's still my favooorite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think one thing that I hate about AT nowadays is how stupid Jake is acting.

Like in the first couple of seasons he'd crack jokes, be a little bit of a wiseman, and a bro to Finn. But out of nowhere in Season 4 he just got stupid. He'd make stupid comments, randumb jokes, and half the time would make no sense. Plus how they put Jake out of the major role for the majority of S4, either making him appear with Finn, or not appear at all. And this all really sucks because he was like one of my favorite characters.

Well until he got replaced by

tumblr_lgn8m8Ddva1qbjuul.gif

tumblr_mdatlxCTCX1qbkc88o1_500.png

Edited by Mike Dawson

Like in the first couple of seasons he'd crack jokes, be a little bit of a wiseman, and a bro to Finn. But out of nowhere in Season 4 he just got stupid.

Are you sure your not ignoring a few earlier episodes? Like The Limit, Season 2? A sandwich and recognition from dimwits becomes more important to him than his own life. Not exactly the smart guy in every episode, mostly because he doesn't give a shit enough to think things through in many instances.

To be kinda mean to a character I love, Jake is more confident than wise in anything but seducing ladies, viola playing, and kompi's caste.

[/media]

The Idea Channel covered Adventure Time! This is very exciting aaaaaand could explain why I love/hate Adventure Time so much nowadays lol. It's still my favooorite.

I think that was a really good analysis, and it hits the nail right on the head. AT is pretty much the pretend universes kid's on the recess playground would make up brought to life. It's not simply that it's whimsical and adventurous, it employs a kind of cognitive dissonance that creates humility within drama. Though these adventures become climactic engagements of good and evil, there's still a strong "playground" rhetoric and casual atmosphere even in the most dire situations. In essence, it trivializes adventure as something anyone can have. You don't need swords and dragons, you just need an imagination and friends who love fun. Most adults have given this up though; married men already have their "princess." Their innocent idealism has been focused on a smaller range of more realistic goals. There's no time for adventure anymore when you have clearly defined responsibilities. But that's why the show's called Adventure Time- because it's here to bring you that time. 15 minutes every week where the silly games you played as kids come back to life.

What makes the show amazing and very bold though, is that in addition to drawing you back into this world of your childhood, it simultaneously tries to show you how silly it was. I'm not talking about the goofy character design either. The stories we heard and told as kids were often very idealistic. There was a clear good guy and bad guy, and sometimes a damsel in distress. And usually, there's a general overarching structure these stories share. It's called the Hero's Journey or Monomyth, a theory that generalizes all steps in tales of adventure from the call to action to the climactic encounter to the return home and you see it very frequently, in everything from Harry Potter to Star Wars. Adventure Time seems intent on eviscerating this theory. For starters, in Finn's perception, adventure isn't a big life-changing story. There are no lessons to learn or changes in character- it's simply a routine activity. Something you do as it needs to be done. That's not to say he doesn't or shouldn't enjoy it- quite the opposite. But part of the Monomyth, at least in most classical stories, is an initial reluctance to take on the challenge. Yet Finn lives for little else. And then there's the big revelation, where the hero's character is truly tested and often transformed as a result. Many adventure stories characterize the the hero as pure of heart. Unable to be corrupted where the villain was unable to stay pure. Similarly, Finn absolutely gushes with altruism as the Ice King seems to be unable to grasp that kidnapping people is bad. And yet we later discover that the Ice King's decent into evil was accidental and faced with resistance (even going as far to sacrifice his life to save the world in the alt timeline), where for Finn, as we just witnessed in the last arc, it was immediate and willing. This blew my mind because it shows to me, when faced by the same circumstance (i.e. the crown), Finn is actually MORE corruptible than the Ice King. But the dark side of this is that in the main timeline, Finn will always be the good guy and the Ice King will always be the bad guy simply because fate let it be that way despite the potential of their natures.

I think what the story is trying to say, at least at this point, is that as an adult, you are no more good or evil than you were as a child. In fact, the more innocent you are, the more corruptible and taken by influence you are, so be grateful that fate made you a good person.

See, this shit is why I love postmodernism.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

So apparently the makers of the show are considering making Marceline and Bubblegum a canon pairing, and are asking what the fans think I don't bother to check the date on posts.

Get ready to see a bunch of neckbeard discussions about all the lesbian sex they'll have in Season 6

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl

Like in the first couple of seasons he'd crack jokes, be a little bit of a wiseman, and a bro to Finn. But out of nowhere in Season 4 he just got stupid. He'd make stupid comments, randumb jokes, and half the time would make no sense. Plus how they put Jake out of the major role for the majority of S4, either making him appear with Finn, or not appear at all. And this all really sucks because he was like one of my favorite characters.

I think the characterization of Jake hasbeen pretty great, really. He's always done stupid things. In fact, I think he peaked in this regard in Power Animal. Also, look at how careless he is in Gaurdians of Sunshine.

I honestly think Jake has been portrayed this way because he just hasn't been receiving much airtime. He's honestly a very good character and this was another reason I didn't enjoy 4 very much. However, I have to agree with SpikySprinter, I still think his character development is very static (he helped Finn with romantic development, good friend, etc). The storyboarders were working on change this season and because of his static nature, he lost that airtime. Jake is one of those older characters who won't develop much until drastic measures.

This 'drastic measure' is Lady Rainicorn's pregnancy. I'm thinking this might be a part of their master scheme to foil Jake's character in Season 4/Season 5. He goes from a super careless guy to a father. It'll be an interesting watch.

I watch it because it makes me laugh...

Hahaha, I thought that too, but then that video makes too much sense. I don't connect with the nostalgia pieces of analysis, but I am total believer in Ward's manipulation of emotions. I'm always "I hate what's going on, but I love the characters" and it is making a total kid's show that is so silly yet DRAMATIC. This shit is better than reality TV and I can't stop watching, because I want to know what goes on next. And when I hook to something, I get into it and I am suuuuuper picky (never liked MLP, a lot of other cartoons, blaaah blah blah).

So apparently the makers of the show are considering making Marceline and Bubblegum a canon pairing, and are asking what the fans think.

Get ready to see a bunch of neckbeard discussions about all the lesbian sex they'll have in Season 6

I love it, because it's definitely pushing the button's of society, but will they lose face from Cartoon Network? I mean, adult fans would be cool with it, but it's the asshole parents who will try to censor the show (and secede from the US......), because same-sex relationships are dirty where hetereosexual relationships are not (my ass, I hate this). I just don't really see them going through with it. It's a dream to grasp though.

I mean, like only five states have gay marriage and it's a pretty heated debate. I just can't see popular media, much less a kid's show, go that 'far.' I wonder if it'll be veeeeery subtle. I don't know, something to think about.

Edited by cdc
  • Thumbs Up 1

So apparently the makers of the show are considering making Marceline and Bubblegum a canon pairing, and are asking what the fans think.

An actual lesbian couple on TV?

Hell to the yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Haha, I was wondering where you got that, because I was like 'no one mentioned this to me, I'm so insulted ;n;' so I started looking it up..

Lol the pairing is basically fanon anyway.