Awoo.

5 Episodes!?

Agent York

http://img111.yfrog.com/img111/5808/nintendoaccin210.jpg

It seems a Spanish Magazine has revealed Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is not the previously believed 3 episodes, but 5 episodes long. They say this is the first episode of five, and follows Sonic's adventure against Eggman's new scheme to revive and build on his best creations. This would mean Sonic 4 has 20 Zones (25 if include finals) and 65 acts... Wow...

http://img111.yfrog.com/img111/5808/nintendoaccin210.jpg

It seems a Spanish Magazine has revealed Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is not the previously believed 3 episodes, but 5 episodes long. They say this is the first episode of five, and follows Sonic's adventure against Eggman's new scheme to revive and build on his best creations. This would mean Sonic 4 has 20 Zones (25 if include finals) and 65 acts... Wow...

I hope what I bolded doesn't mean that all of the episodes will be similar to the rehashness we've seen from episode 1....i'm not gonna lie, i really don't mind it in episode 1, but I was really expecting SEGA to be original with the following episodes...now i'm a little worried.

I hope what I bolded doesn't mean that all of the episodes will be similar to the rehashness we've seen from episode 1....i'm not gonna lie, i really don't mind it in episode 1, but I was really expecting SEGA to be original with the following episodes...now i'm a little worried.

No, I was summarizing. XD They were only talking about episode 1, as in, "This is episode 1 of 5, episode 1 follows Sonic against Eggman's forces" type of deal. I don't think they know what all 5 episodes are about. XD

No, I was summarizing. XD They were only talking about episode 1, as in, "This is episode 1 of 5, episode 1 follows Sonic against Eggman's forces" type of deal. I don't think they know what all 5 episodes are about. XD

PHEW!!!! man, i had one of those pit-in-your-stomach-drops kind of feelings of disappointment. now i'm happy again, and even happier to know how long this game is planned to be.

Wow I hope this is true, Sonic 4 seems like it could be epic as hell. I was only expecting 3 episodes at max. I just don't want to wait too long between each one.

One more then I expected (Well, untill 3 episodes was said). This is great! I think they could bring this out as a retail game!I seems like it'l belonger than Unleashed. :D

so... I guess we WON'T be getting a boxset for the 20Anni? D=

Don't see how that has anything to do with it, assuming that we'll get atleast two episodes this year.

Anyway I'd say if this holds true then good news. Sonic 4 still looks fun and if it holds up, I'd love to see even more.

(WARNING: Fanboy reaction follows)

Dude, SERIOUSLY?! Pardon my language but DAMN that's awesome!

...if it's true, I mean. I won't hold my breath, but if the 5 episode thing IS true, it'll make it MUCH longer than any of the classics! DO WANT!!!

Wow, I'm not that surprised but still pleased if this is true. Everyone was expecting 3? I kinda assumed it would be at least 4 for some reason.

Personally, I think that five episodes is a little too much; not only will we doubtlessly end up playing (and, indeed, paying for) the same game over and over again (it's not as if each of the instalments are going to play differently), but it'll also greatly delay Sonic Adventure 3 - a game that I'd much rather have than five different variations on Sonic 4!

Seriously, three is enough - any more than that, and it'll only feel like the game's being milked beyond its natural capacity.

And once those are done... Sonic Adventure 3? *shot*

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

^ I think I might just have to agree there. ^

As much as I'm looking forwad to Sonic 4, and as much as I'm really sure it's going to be a great game, something's telling me 5 may just be a little too much. Don't get me wrong, of course I'd buy them, but my only worry is variation in levels etc. If they could pull out some great variety every time, it'd be worth it. :)

• Thumbs Up 3

I think everyone wanted 3 episodes because they are only 5 classic games to rehash and they already wasted 2 :V (sounded like an ***hole, sorry if I offended anyone).

Anyways, I can confirm it says the game will come in 5 Dowloadable chapters, really excited about this. :)

p.d: they still use "Robotnik" <_<

Personally, I think that five episodes is a little too much; not only will we doubtlessly end up playing (and, indeed, paying for) the same game over and over again (it's not as if each of the instalments are going to play differently), but it'll also greatly delay Sonic Adventure 3 - a game that I'd much rather have than five different variations on Sonic 4!

Seriously, three is enough - any more than that, and it'll only feel like the game's being milked beyond its natural capacity.

I will have to disagree:

1) The fact they are making 2D games doesn't mean they are going to stop making 3d games 'till they are done with Sonic 4, so you can still have your Sonic Adventure 3 (Maybe this is going to be the 20 anniversary game, who knows)

2) Milk Sonic 4 to death >>>>>>>>>> another compilation of Sonic 1,2 and 3 <_<

Edited by imarafan

The continuation of Half-Life 2 has come in three episodes, we've only had two, and Valve managed to release Portal, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and soon Portal 2 inbetween, and those episodes were probably a lot bigger than these ones will be.

Sonic Team have always had multiple projects on the go, at least 2.

Edited by JezMM

Five episodes sounds awesome. When it was announced I was thinking 30 zones would make me happy, but 20 zones with mostly three acts is about the same thing. This probably means that Sonic 4 is their main project until the 20th anniversary. I don't think it delays the creation of the new 3D game, since that likely comes out in Summer 2011. If you think about how many Sonic games they've had in development in the past, Sonic 4 seems like a pretty light order. I hope this means most of Sonic Team's resources are at work on the new game. Unless there's a handheld title we don't know about or something. We'll see at E3 I guess.

Edited by Pinche Pitochu

Five episodes? Wow, that's a lot more than I was expecting, if it turns out to be true.

I was always under the impression that it would be three episodes (even before the three episode rumours began), it just seems the right length... a trilogy would feel right for Sonic 4.

Of course, I'm not going to say no to more episodes. The more Sonic, the better!

Providing it doesn't get too repetitive and there's a decent enough storyline to keep the game going that long, though. I don't think I'll be able to stand five episodes of rehashed bosses, for example. :huh:

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly cannot believe that a couple of you are actually complaining about this too already. More Sonic 4 is not a bad thing, especially considering how many people have been wanting a true sequel for years.

I for one am incredibly psyched, and I highly doubt they will keep rehashing bosses if you're worried about that. Good stuff!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to think about this to be honest. Until this is confirmed I'm going to believe that there are 3 episodes of Sonic 4. Don't get me wrong, I would love 5 episodes but I just can't see it happening...

I'm gonna be honest, I would love to see 5 episodes, but Sega has to do it right. It will get boring for me if all 5 episodes are just old bosses, old enemies, etc. Something new would be great, I mean, I would've rather seen all new bosses and badniks for Episode 1 rather than the rehashes. And the zones should be a little more creative, too in the coming episodes.

OK, I feel like I'm being WAY too picky now. I'm happy for 5 episodes. Should be great. I just hope it doesn't get boring.

OK, I feel like I'm being WAY too picky now. I'm happy for 5 episodes. Should be great. I just hope it doesn't get boring.

If the core game of Sonic 4 is actually good, then I can't really see it getting boring in five episodes.

But of course, we'll need to wait until we see confirmation that it actually is five episodes.

Adding to my previous post, now that I've thought about it, the thought of five episodes is quite exiting, but it may not be if handled poorly.

I have three main concerns regarding this: The reusing of new enemies Vs. completely original badniks, the level designs & the overall difficulty of the episodes.

The first subject has, many times before, been brought up in... *a-HEM* "discussion" in the Sonic 4 subforum, so I'll just leave that little "mine field" alone for now. Same goes for the second.

The last topic, however, is something I've not seen discussed much beyond some passing comments. We know from, er, the leaks, that the first episode isn't going to be a very difficult challenge to complete

(Outside of Mad Gear Zone, but that's only from the abundant use of the cheapness that is the Slicer badniks in that level).

This is natural as it's only going to be the first part of the game. Naturally, we can assume that the future episodes will only naturally, right? Well, not everything is always so black & white, as history has proven in one way or another.

There are many things that can contribute to this (bad enemy placement & level design to name a few, but again: I'm not touching that minefield with a 500-foot pole), but my point is not how it can happen, but that the possibility exists for it to happen. If there are three episodes as we've been lead to believe, then the problem really isn't as severe, but if these rumors are true, then that can make the unbalance of difficulty between them an even greater factor!

Bottom line: I'm all for five episodes if this rumor is true, but I just hope that the games are balanced out accordingly.

5 episodes? That's crazy! Awesome! :D I hope we see some more playable characters, less speed-pads, and at least an original final boss...... if they can pull those things off, I'll be quite pleased :)

Edited by EXshad