Awoo.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Patticus

I do hope that no-one minds me setting up a new topic for this outside the Iwata GDC Keynote thread, I just thought it'd be easier for people to discuss it, as well as for me/others to post updates.

Those predicting an announcement by Nintendo at GDC regarding a new Zelda game were indeed correct. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is coming to the Nintendo DS. Satoru Iwata wants to please long-time, loyal fans to the company and to the Zelda franchise with this particular title, which is coming later in 2009.

From the footage seen so far, the game is styled a bit like GameCube's Zelda title, Wind Waker. Link is controlled with the stylus, seen controlling a side kick character clad in armor. He's then pitted against a huge crab-like creature in what appears to be an epic boss battle.

LLR1Q35DPV_zeldaspirit01.jpg YZY3F93IU0_zeldaspirit02.jpg PEZUERIZCS_zeldaspirit03.jpg

0Z4HYBETXO_zeldaspirit04.jpg XGOIRY59BM_zeldaspirit05.jpg XDJ31GUIIS_zeldaspirit06.jpg

Z6M7CYNUTI_zeldaspirit07.jpg TTL5JN06NY_zeldaspirit08.jpg D8NGIHNRAU_zeldaspirit09.jpg

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/966/966163p1.html

:)

Omfg, Choo choo! I hope this will be 10x better than PH. I don't want half of the game consisting of going back to one temple sneaking farther each time. >.<

The train concept reminds me of that rumor of the steampunk Zelda game.

Looks really awesome. I hope the world feels a bit more developed this time. The music sounds fucking amazing too, that track (or should I say... SPIRIT TRACK, ohohoho) better be in the game in some form or another. Oh, and there better actually be more than one town/dungeon/boss/EVERYTHING tune this time, and they better be longer than 30 seconds before looping. D= Man the PH soundtrack was a shocker.

Now I need to bust out a strategy guide to force myself to finish PH in case this is a direct sequel to that... I somehow doubt it will be, although they're using the same visual style, this looks to be another part of the grand Hyrule timeline to me, so it's probably a different Link and Zelda from WW/PH, but... just in case.

Somethings been bugging me. Is this yet ANOTHER new Link?! It looks like WW/PH Link but that doesn't mean much because so did Four Swords and Minish Cap Link. The reason I ask is because we see Princess Zelda instead of Tetra, and the ocean seems to be gone.

Is anyone else tired of getting a new Link every other game?

New Links are a Zelda staple, you can't just get rid of them. :(

Spirit Tracks looks like a very charming little handheld Zelda, exploring new routes that no Zelda has explored before exactly as Shigeru Miyamoto (or was it Eiji Aonuma?) foretold, and no doubt I'll be hankering after it big time come E3, however I would really like to see that Wii Zelda that Nintendo's home-console-Zelda-only team is working on. I also really want it to be cel-shaded, so that the game after that can be 'realistic' and in HD, and both can impress massively for years to come etcetera.

The train concept reminds me of that rumor of the steampunk Zelda game.

It's the logical next step after Twilight Princess, or didn't you notice the vaguely "wild west" themed nature of the game?

Somethings been bugging me. Is this yet ANOTHER new Link?! It looks like WW/PH Link but that doesn't mean much because so did Four Swords and Minish Cap Link. The reason I ask is because we see Princess Zelda instead of Tetra, and the ocean seems to be gone.

The series has already had about 7 or so generations of Link and Zelda. What's wrong with another? I'd much rather have that than WW/PH Link randomly deciding "Lol I'm gonna use a train for everything now!" and such. I've always liked how split up the games in the Zelda franchise are... they still all contribute to the story as a whole (if you can work out the order of chronology anyway lol) but can usually be viewed each as a seperate story.

I just hate saying goodbye to old Links and Zeldas. :( I guess I'm alone here.

So what are the odds on Ganondorf returning? The main enemy in PH was totally lame.

lol though there are games that have direct sequels they rarely extend beyond two games. Plus it wouldn't really make sense to have it be the same Link again as this seems much further down the timeline.

Though I would rather have a new console Zelda game, I'm happy with this. It's better than nothing and I do like playing Zelda between classes at Uni!

Honestly, it doesn't look like something that's going to get me hyped. I loved Phantom Hourglass, but it did have its niggles. The Touch Screen only control system used to really make my hands ache after an hour or so of playing, and that bloody 'Temple of the Ocean King' was annoying as dungeons can get.

This sequel seems to be more of the same, but with a train. It looks like the sodding temple has even returned with the lame 'stealth' bits the first one had me so wound up with. At least there looks to be plenty of new areas throughout, I wonder if this game will follow on directly from Phantom Hourglass? It would make sense, except that part where Link is driving a train. Who knows, even world saviours must need to get a job sometime.

Allow for D-Pad movement support and more interesting boss fights and I'm in.

HOLY CRAP, A CHOO CHOO TRAIN. I WANT TO RIDE THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN!

Seriously though, it's awesome to see that another DS Zelda is on the way. I actually quite enjoyed Phantom Hourglass though it was pretty different from other titles, and the touch screen controls were actually pretty good.

What's especially awesome about this game is that you get to have a pet Phantom, which is like a dog with military training. But it's not a dog, it's a dead knight. And it's amazing.

But does the announcement of this game mean it will be a very long time before we se Zelda Wii? Handheld versions are good fun and all but I gotta agree with everyone else wishing to see Zelda Wii.

The game's been in development even before the Wii was launched, so I doubt this means we won't see it soon. I can only assume they're not comfortable with showing anything to us yet.

Nintendo has two dedicated Zelda teams whose sole purpose is to churn out Zelda titles. They literally make nothing else (though staff will probably move from studio to studio within Nintendo, naturally). One does handheld Zelda games, the other home console Zelda titles. This is the handheld team's current project, we have no idea what the other one's doing - doubtless it's something Zelda-ish, and will make me jizz in my pants.

Glad to see that they're doing another DS Zelda (Still want to hear more about the next Wii game, though)- hopefully, this one will continue the Wind Waker timeline. However, I'm still puzzled as to why there's a train instead of a ship- have Link and Tetra/Zelda found the new Hyrule that they set out for in Wind Waker (and completely forgot about in Phantom Hourglass)?

Also, having a pet Phantom is phucking sweet.

Oh, and Princess Zelda looks funny. xD Still, I'm sure everyone will get used to it, like they did with Link. Plus, anyone notice how they continue to keep the "white space" between the "e" and "l" in the logo? x3

Allow for D-Pad movement support and more interesting boss fights and I'm in.

Totally agreed. I love the touch screen controls, but I think the game will flow much better, especially during combat, if we can move and use weapons at the same time.

Hai guyz dis game iz on rails. Dur hur hur

Actually on topic, am I the only one noticing a pattern here? Twice they've had a ship crossing vast empty oceans to get to tiny little islands with stuff on them, and now we've got a train taking us across vast empty plains most likely to get to tiny little towns and caves instead. It's like they're just throwing this stuff in for the sake of skipping the process of actually making a traversible world between towns like all other adventure games. Okay, not much of a complaint, but to me it comes off as slightly lazy particularly when the locations themselves aren't usually all that big.

Hopefully there's more to the game that I've seen thus far, because we really haven't seen much yet, and what there is already ain't exactly eye-catching material.

I really love the approach they did with this, <3. Link seems to fit the whole adventure of the train and it's a nice change to see him sporting some conductor clothing, =D. And like someone said, it reminds me of the steampunk rumor, which is something I've been wanting for quite sometime.

As for some of the weapons, that Dark Nut Knight controlling thing looks awesome! By saying they want to please a lot of old time Zelda fans, I hope they dish out super hard puzzles and fights. I ADORED PH, but this might topple it for me, <3.

First stop, Zelda DS. Next stop, hopefully some info on the next Wii Zelda game.

-Blur

I would be pretty surprised if they gave us the scoop on two new Zeldas in one year, to be honest. Zelda Wii looks increasingly like 2010/end of generation fodder, which is great provided it does the wait justice.

Im excited already. But Link looks really stupid in that outfit....(I credit that to his goofy pixelated 3D model. Im sure fan artists are going to cute it up though. )

It really seems as if this is yet ANOTHER new Link. I doubt Ganondorf/Ganon will be in this though.

If by some chance this IS the new Link, that means WW Link will finally have broken the " only 2 adventures max" curse that has been going on since the first Zelda.

The only way I can explain princess Zelda being in the game is that either A: that's not Zelda but a lookalike ( In minish cap, there were two identicle kings, and in Majora's mask, there were tons of lookalikes from previous games. Alternate reality? ) or B: It really is a new Link, and the ocean has gone byebye ( but I thought I saw the ocean from the train...? )

We have a Darknut on our side? No way! I hope there aren't any repeating temples this time... and I wonder if we have seen the last of Linebeck.

I can't wait for this, but Im not sure it will be as strong as a console zelda.

I actually find Link kind of cool and really adorable on those clothes. Always with a thumb up for a little change (besides, the green tunic is still there, and probably those other clothes will only be used in the train or at the beggining of the game).

Even if a small feature, I would love if they give us the option of name the train (like with epona in TP). I wanna call it the "Zalda-Wagon"! =D

Edited by Viku

Link driving a train? LOL. Nintendo, what are you doing? -_-

At least the music and the weapons looks awesome. And i´m glad to see a new Zelda game. But Link driving a train...is stupid.

Edited by Blue Kirby

EXCUSE ME NINTENDO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WHY THE HELL IS LINK DRIVING A TRAIN?

At least the music and the weapons looks awesome. And i´m glad to see a new Zelda game. But Link driving a train...is stupid.

Good point... I don't get why they're doing this... Maybe they think "OMFG! IT'S ZELDA WITH THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE!!! THEY'LL BUY IT BECAUSE OF ZELDA!!!" Nintendo is running out of ideas...

What's especially awesome about this game is that you get to have a pet Phantom, which is like a dog with military training. But it's not a dog, it's a dead knight. And it's amazing.

....But after hearing that I'm sort of exicted now... You can get pet zombies... I hope Nintendo pulls it off good...