Awoo.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Patticus

Good point... I don't get why they're doing this... Maybe they think "OMFG! IT'S ZELDA WITH THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE!!! THEY'LL BUY IT BECAUSE OF ZELDA!!!" Nintendo is running out of ideas...

lol now because they've moved along the timeline and included a train (instead of a horse or boat) you think they've run out of ideas? XD

This is a new idea, and I don't see what's wrong with it.

Good point... I don't get why they're doing this... Maybe they think "OMFG! IT'S ZELDA WITH THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE!!! THEY'LL BUY IT BECAUSE OF ZELDA!!!" Nintendo is running out of ideas...

Or, crazy thought, perhaps they're thinking "Hey, a train as a means of transport, we haven't done that before... do you think it'll be fun?" "Yeah, I think that could be fun, let's see what we can do with that idea."

What the hell is it with people and the train? How is it any different from the horse or boat? It's just another thing you use to get from town to town.

What the hell is it with people and the train? How is it any different from the horse or boat? It's just another thing you use to get from town to town.

For me it's the lack of freedom you have with a train. You only go one way and you really can't change your path unless you get out or something... And I'm not sure how you can fight with a train either... The horse has a sword and the boat has cannons... The train can only run over people which can hardly happen...

A horse and a boat isn't so ridiculous as a train. It'd be one thing if it was just an extra way of travel and didn't have such a large impact on the gameplay. It doesn't look like that at all, though. It clearly has a very large impact on the gameplay. And yes, trains don't have a lot of movability at all, period. Its far different from a boat or a horse.

I really wouldn't have minded seeing a sort of more futuristic-styled Zelda game but still retains the same basic principles, or even a steampunk style. Probably not for DS, but as a next main Zelda game. However, this simply looks completely ridiculous, especially with the WW-esque graphics. That's probably what makes it look even -more- ridiculous than it already is.

The classic train lover in me likes the train concept quite a bit (long as it's not as bland or boring as today's trains), long as it's done well. And controlling Phantoms makes me wanna go "YEAH! Take that, Sucker! That's for every inconvenience in PH!"

And cos I like the look of Toon Link more so than the others (Cartoon looks appeal to me as well), methinks I'd end up picking up the game, since I liked the previous game.

For me it's the lack of freedom you have with a train. You only go one way and you really can't change your path unless you get out or something... And I'm not sure how you can fight with a train either... The horse has a sword and the boat has cannons... The train can only run over people which can hardly happen...

Wrong. You draw the tracks as you go along, just like how it worked in Phantom Hourglass. Sure, you probably didn't know that, but at least you know now that you don't have to get out to change direction. Also, the train has a cannon attached to it just like the boat.

If it's a ghost train that transforms into your pet knight I will be so happy. Do it, Nintendo.

Link likes to ride knights, XD.

Naw, there could very well be a connection between both the phantom knight and the train (hence "Spirit Tracks" like D'harhan said). I wonder how the train will work though? I mean, can you lay down tracks as you go or what? The train is a really awesome idea, but in reality it's a little more limited than a horse or boat that can ride all over the land/sea. I'm interested to see how this will turn out, <3.

-Blur

Yeah, Nintendo said you lay down the tracks of the train by drawing a path with the stylus. Like how the steamboat worked in Phantom Hourglass.

"Spirit Tracks" makes me think the tracks are spirits, not the train. The train could easily be completely normal, just running on the magical train tracks that you draw in.

"Spirit Tracks" makes me think the tracks are spirits, not the train. The train could easily be completely normal, just running on the magical train tracks that you draw in.

I'd rather Hylian Transformers than that, but your idea is more plausible. Damn ye. >_>

Well even if Ganondorf isn't back I hope the story is a lot more interesting then PH. That story was boring as shit and was lacking in the epic department IMO. Also I want there to be a hard mode option. I haven't died in a new Zelda game for years now and I've done 3 heart only runs in most of them. The final boss of TP,

Ganondorf

, deals out the same amount of damage as a Tektite. What the fuck Nintendo!

I'm just gonna spill my thoughts on the game onto a platter. I liked PH, but I didn't love it. Other than the first 2 Zeldas which I honestly can't like since they've aged badly, PH is the worst Zelda game. The music was lame, Linebeck was the only good character in the whole game, it was generally a soul-less experience for a Zelda title. I loved the touch control though.

My main complaints about this is that it seems to be just grabbing Phantom Hourglass' engines and making a different environment with them. I want a break from Toon Link. Personally I love the idea of a train, but I don't like the idea of a huge dull overworld like PH had with on rails exploration.

However I'm definitely buying it (big Zelda fan), and as long as it has the good story, music and characters that PH lacked, I'm sure it'll instantly be much better.

• 7 months later...

So there was a new trailer for the game shown recently.

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=103198

As it turns out Zelda dies or something and her ghost possesses the Phantoms making this the first Nintendo developed Zelda game where you get to play as Zelda....sort of.

Here's a preview from IGN that goes into much more detail.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/104/1042825p1.html

Another preview, this time from 1UP.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176790

I must admit that I wasn't very excited for this game (though I always planned to get it because I LOVE Zelda games) because I was a bit disappointed in PH, but after hearing the new info I think it sounds much more exciting. It's only a month away too. How cool is that! :)

Also I love this art.

the-legend-of-zelda-spirit-tracks-20091105045117328.jpg

Edited by speedfreak

I love the art too.

I kinda wish I hadn't found out about Zelda, how sad!! :( Atleast it's an original idea.

Also I'm looking forward to travelling with her for the first time, even if she's a spirit...

I'm getting much more excited for the game. The characters look more inspired, and the story sounds interesting and unique. I'm not so happy about the sound of the tower, but atleast you can skip the bits you've already done, unlike the god-awful Temple of the Ocean King.

Bring on December!!

Saw the trailer last night after getting a new message from Zelda Universe.

I gotta say, spirit Zelda just looks like a more active version of the standard fairy we've seen before, =/. It's cool that Zelda has a role other than just being the damsel in distress, but meh, just looks like a version of a fairy.

Still, I'm a Zelda fan, so this means I'll probably wind up buying it anyways. I'm sure it'll be really fun, but I'm just waiting for a Zelda game that WAY unique. Hope this game surprises me with that though, <3.

-Blur

Zelda has never been so adorable!

I'm hoping they increase the difficulty of this game, but I highly doubt they will. And chances are this game is going to be as annoyingly hand-holding as the last one was.

"HEY LINK, DID YOU JUST READ THAT SIGN? I WONDER IF THAT MEANS WE HAVE TO LIGHT THE TORCHES WITH YOUR BOOMERANG?"

I'll scream.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually Miyamoto did say that ST difficulty level has increased over PH. He said the same things for NSMBDS -> NSMBW and all the previews for that games seem to agree with him. He also said Galaxy 2 should be harder then the first Galaxy.

I personally thought PH was an okay game, but the story was really boring IMO. The main enemy ending up being a stupid

jelly fish monster

thing that didn't appear to have any thought of it's own other then "be evil".It also had one of those was it a dream or real type endings that I hate. I already love the idea of Zelda helping you out on your adventure. I've always wanted her to be a "side kick" character for Link. Plus it's nice to see Link start his journey as something other then a small town bumpkin.

Also I thought it was funny to hear the hulking Phantom knight's (Zelda) girly scream when a rat came running out from the hole in the wall in the trailer. :lol:

DUDE. xD I liked the first one (Shhh, I loved Linebeck, and the gameplay was pretty sweet), and this one looks like that, but with a better story and more difficulty. I wonder if they're gonna keep the dungeons as brief as they did in the first? Not that I minded the shorter dungeons too much, but I always loved the overworld segments in Zelda games more than the dungeons (EXCEPT in Windwaker and PH.), but I'm not against longer dungeons XD

Sounds fun! =) I just hope that rats and stuff don't spook the Phantom every five seconds and make it un-neededly tedious.

xP And yes, Zelda was cute flying around beside the train. DEAD PEOPLE CAN HAVE FUN, TOO! I liked that Link had been training for a job, too, haha. It almost makes him feel different. Still, I kinda wish this was -really- a direct sequel; I liked WW Link (the ACTUAL one) and Tetra, but eh... D: I can deal. I'll probably like this new Link just as well.

EDIT: LOL, well damn XD I bet Zelda's super upset because the only one who can actually see her, is a mute. Ffffff. xD

Edited by Kosuna

This will probably be the first Zelda game with an emphasis on the two main characters' friendship. In most Zelda games Link has some sort of travelling partner, usually a fairy but more recently there was Linebeck and especially Midna, who Link ended up getting pretty close to.

If there's one thing that disappointed me about Twilight Princess, it's that Link and Zelda were little more than passing aquaintances revolving around Midna, rather than Link or Zelda themselves.

But still, I really want Capcom to make another Zelda game. Their games were always filled with awesome fanservice and really memorable characters and tribes... like the Oracles, the Minish, Vaati, the best non-Ganon villain in the entire series... I could go on.

I'm not a big fan of Capcom, but Flagship are definitely more on the ball with 2D Zelda than Nintendo are after PH.

Does anyone think the Demon King will end up being Ganondorf? It seems almost every time there is a new Link the main enemy he goes up against is Ganondorf.

Zelda 1: New Link - Ganon

Zelda 2: Same Link as 1 - not Ganon

LTTP: New Link - Ganon

LA: Same Link as LTTP - not Ganon

OOT: New Link - Ganon

MM: Same Link as OOT - not Ganon

WW: New Link - Ganon

PH: Same Link as WW - not Ganon

TP: New Link - Ganon

No TP sequel* :(

There are some exceptions though. OOA/OOS Link only ends up fighting Ganon if you do a linked game. Four Swords Adventure Link fights Ganon, but not the original Four Swords Link. Although you could argue this one since the original FS was an extra and not really it's own game. The last one would be Minish Cap where Ganon was no where to be found. Also these game listed were either spin offish or partially developed by Capcom.

I know a lot of people are sick of Ganon, but I really like him. I hope he is in ST. If he isn't I won't mind too much as long as this Demon King ends up being a decent villain.....unlike the one from PH.

*Although the Link in Zelda Wii looks like TP Link I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that it's yet another new Link. I can't be sure if Zelda Wii Link will go up against Ganon or not but I would guess he will. Why? Well we've seen that the Master Sword is in the game (albeit with a human form) and every game that's had the Master Sword has had a battle with Ganon.