Awoo.

Sonic at the Antiques Roadshow

Badnik Mechanic

I really wasn't sure where to put this one... I'm sure that many of you are familiar with the BBC show "The Antiques Roadshow"

For those who don't know, the Antiques Roadshow travels the country valuing old toot. Everyone who turns up to the event has their stuff valued, interesting items, high value items or strange people tend to get filmed and put on TV.

And it's coming to my town (well a village down the road). So I was wondering if I should take some of my old Sonic toot to get valued. Before anyone starts typing, I am under no illusions that Sonic merch is going to suddenly be worth hundreds on the mainstream market. I would be amazed if any of the experts at the event have ever seen any sonic toot. But I would like to at least get an idea as to if this stuff might have some type of value in the future or if there is an 'expert' mainstream opinion about it.

Theres a few problems though...

1: What do I take?

At the moment I'm torn between three items.

* My Sonic pin badge collection: I have a huge collection of Sonic pin badges, it's the kind of thing that they would show and have some idea of value.... but... it's not very exciting.

Sonic_pins.jpg

Thats not my collection, but it's a good idea as to the ones I have, only my collection is a lot larger than that.

*My Doctor Robotnik statue:

img0247r.jpg

(T-Birds photo, but we own the same thing). Whilst this is very well made... when it comes to getting a valuation on it I don't think it'd do very well... theres no markings, no box and nothing to suggest any type of origin or history. Also I have a feeling that this is the type of thing that fans go ape for as apposed to collections of toot like this.

* My Sonic The Comic collection.

Specifically, the original artwork and the signed script I have.

Whilst I do have a full comic collection and I think I have around 95% of all the free gifts. But there is a problem of transporting all of it and I'm mot sure that they're old enough to generate much excitement. It can be looked at as an original work of art and it can be judged as that, the fact it's comic art would make it an extra twist. I also doubt that there has been much stuff like this shown at the roadshow so it'll generate interest.

2: There are a few things that I am aware of. Most of this stuff in terms of what gets shown on the roadshow is very new. Whilst we collectors pay through the nose sometimes, I would not be suprised if the experts turned around and said "Robotnik statue? 50p" If I turned up witn a full set of tagged Sonic adventure plushes in mint condition, they would not value them very high and I very much doubt they would appear on TV.

Personally, I think in terms of potential valuation and interest to the 'experts' I'm leaning towards the comic stuff.

But I am open to any suggestions that people might have. The Roadshow is this Friday, so unfortunately, unless anyone was willing to drive their toot to my house theres no way of it getting to me in time to take.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Solid SOAP

• Super Lombax

• thesketchsector

To be honest, I agree. The comic stuff would be good to bring in, because it is a unique item which might generate some interest, especially if you can bring in an issue or two that the artwork is from. I'm guessing that whilst the statue would probably attract attention with the box, the BBC would probably decide it's just a random guy trying to pass common stuff off as rare, as they will probably have no idea of it's value or how old it is. It could be a similar story with the badges, so I think the artwork's your best bet. If you do bring in anything, I wish you the best of luck and hope you get on, as well as manage to organise transportation arrangements (No doubt my parents would drag me downstairs to watch it if you were on because it's a Sonic item and they know I'm obsessedblush.gif).

Superlaugh.gifLombax

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Super Lombax

As per the show rules, so long as you get there before the deadline, they'll value it. But if they then ask you to go and film is another question entirely. Even then, if they film it, that doesn't mean you'll get on, they always film more than they need, the show is then edited together for balance and entertainment.

But thinking about this tonight. I'm unsure if it's a good idea. The material, whilst great and has some mainstream appeal. I don't think it's old enough. They've had world war 2 memorabelia and I've seen a few Beanos from the 50's/60's. But I've never seen anything later than 1980 unless it was something very special, like royal jewlery or something like that.

Go for the comic artwork if you go on, it'll probably gauge their interest more because at least they can understand it better, Comic artwork and originals possibly with STC issues for examples of where they're from.

Pin collection? as you say, not very exciting to them.

Robotnik statue? They probably wouldn't understand the true value.

Comic artwork? Interesting enough to gauge their attention, universal enough to understand that they're originals with only one of each in existence.

Edited by Mr. Needlemark

Where did you get that awesome Robotnik statue? I don't think I've ever seen that anywhere.

With regards to the Robotnik statue. I found it via a Japan seller, T-Bird got his the same way. There was one on ebay a while ago. That one sold for over £250. (I got mine at a shockingly cheaper price... like under the price of a new game kind of price). I've never seen one that had the box or any kind of identity marks. Theres also a Sonic, Tails and possibly an Amy one in the series too.

With regards to taking the comic artwork to the show. The folder that I have them in is far from the lightest thing around, and it also would mean taking it on a train if I do decide to go. My original lift now says that they may not be able to take me anymore. Also I'm in two minds about it, the artwork as good as it is might be just too recent for them to value at anything significant. Without looking at the exact dates, at the most its around 10-15 years old (however the mutant league pages are near the start of STC's life) I'm not sure if thats old enough for them to get excited or put a value on that would make people even bother to raise an eyebrow at, let alone go ape at.

The problem with merchandise like this is that it's only worth what the fanbase deems it's worth. If a rare figurine is put up on ebay and someone thinks "I must have that! Here's $500", then that's what it's worth. If they think "That's kind of cool, I guess I can spare $50 for it", then that's what it's worth. Obviously rarity is going to be a factor in driving up the price but I don't think anyone on the Antique Roadshow is going to be an expert on the rarity of Sonic merchandise.

Oh I forgot about this. As you can probably tell I didn't get to the roadshow, even though I really wanted to. I was going to take the artwork because it could have been looked at as comic book and treated on it's own merits.

They would never judge this kind of stuff on the same basis as we do, which is why I considered taking one of those three things that I mentioned here because take away the character symbolism theres either a collection there or a well made strange object.

Mind you had I been able to go... there were people waiting in line to get in at 6AM and the waiting time was several hours.. outch.