Sign in to follow this  
S0NIC-Keyblade 007

Eggman's Father...

Okay I've been wanting to make this topic for quite some time now. In Sonic Adventure 2, we are introduced to two characters in Eggman's family. Eggman's grandfather Doctor Gerald Robotnik and Maria Robotnik. We all know that Eggman is a mad geneous scientist obseesed with conquering the world, however where do you think he got this characteristic from? In the last chapter of SA2, we learn that Gerald Robotnik was originally a good scientist and wanted to help the world by creating Shadow, the Ultimate Life Form. However, he went mad when he learned that Maria died due to her illnesss after the government evacuated her and all the workers from Space Colony Ark. Shortly after this incident Gerald was executed. But, what kind of affect could this have had on his family and more importantly his son, Eggman's father. Could the execution of Gerald and the death of Maria cause Eggman's father to go into a state of hatred of the world and pass this onto his son, Eggman? We currently know of three characters in Eggman's family who seem to have an incredibly high IQ: Dr. Gerald Robotnik, Dr. Eggman, and Eggman's decendent from the future Eggman Nega. Perhaphs inteligence is just something in the genes of the Eggman family or perhaphs education is extremely important to them. Either way, perhaphs the Eggman family was originally a family of brilliant scientists dedicated to helping out humanity but the exeecution of Gerald Robotnik took the family down a completely different path? Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that the government originally asked Gerald Robotnik to start Project Shadow, and yet 50 years later they are in absolute fear of his grandson. Could something that Gerald's son did in his lifetime affect the way the government sees Eggman?

Back on the subject of Eggman's father, how do you believe he felt about Project Shadow and his father's execution. How do you think he would feel about his son constantly trying to conquer the world? How do you think he would feel about Sonic constantly getting in his son's way. And if his father was able to create a concious artificial life form who seems to have a soul (refering to Shadow the Hedgehog), and his son was able to put the entire planet in a state of emergency then do you think he would be able to do the same? Do you think he's still alive in Sonic's timeline? And most importantly, do you think he is/was a scientist who wanted to help humanity (like his father), or a scientist obsessed with destroying it (like his son).

I have this fanfic idea that there's a clone in the Robotnik family. There's nothing to back it up, I just feel like it makes sense for a mad doctor to do. So Gerald has at least one son with someone, who is the father of Maria Robotnik. My fanon says that Eggman's father is Gerald 2.0, making him Maria's genetic uncle.

The clone and Eggman would both be ignorant to this however, so it means nothing. I have a hard time deciding if my Gerald fanfic is a good idea or plain stupid.

Edited by Badnikstan

For all we know, Gerald could've had a daughter and therefore he could be Eggman's maternal grandfather, not his paternal grandfather. There's nothing to suggest that Eggman's father was a direct relation of Gerald's, Gerald could just as likely have had a daughter i.e Eggman's mother. Why the focus on male-only relations?

Maybe the Robotnik family was one that had an unusual genetic tendency towards brilliance as well as excessive pride, making each male Robotnik obsessively want to live up to or surpass his forebearer hence Eggman's desire to be more brilliant than his grandfather, Nega's desire to be identified as a great scientist and perhaps Eggman's father/mother wanting their son to live up to the family creme de la creme which would only be fuelled by Ivo Robotnik's own 'tendency' towards pride and his desire to surpass his grandfather. Wouldn't surprise me if the family was wealthy too. I mean Eggman had to start somewhere and I bet Gerald's reputation as the world's single greatest minds of all time raked in some cash.

Going by the ultra secrecy of Project Shadow, is it logical to believe that Gerald's direct relations knew of the exact nature of what his work entailed? I suppose they would've been enlightened to his demise considering that GUN supposedly make a public statement/public lie about their reasons for going onto the ARK (i.e a Hazardous biological chemical accident implied to have been caused by Gerald's purposeful negligence that resulted in the deaths of many, necessitating his execution). Maybe Gerald's son/daughter demanded an inquest into the exact nature of this so-called accident and the accusations of Gerald's negligence, causing the government to demand that they shut up out of fear of revealing the true story and therefore causing Eggman's mother/father to develop a deep contempt for a government who executed a brilliant man who didn't/couldn't have a fair trial. Could have rubbed off very much on the young Eggman which, coupled with his deep respect for his grandfather, eventually result in a somewhat mentally-unstable man whose pride, desire for fame, attention and power and outright contempt for the government gave rise to a wannabe dictator who wants to create a technocratical dictatorship to replace the corrupt government.

What I find curious is that Eggman uses the password "MARIA" to awaken Shadow and yet makes no reference to the cousin of the same name to indicate that he is familiar with her. Could've just been too excited and eager to awaken the project to go into familiarisation mode though.

For all we know, Gerald could've had a daughter and therefore he could be Eggman's maternal grandfather, not his paternal grandfather. There's nothing to suggest that Eggman's father was a direct relation of Gerald's, Gerald could just as likely have had a daughter i.e Eggman's mother. Why the focus on male-only relations?

The problem with this theory is the last name "Robotnik." If Eggman is Ivo Robotnik, it stands to reason his father was also of the Robotnik lineage, and thusly Gerald's son. It's possible that Eggman took his mother's maiden name as his surname, but unlikely.

Because Maria's last name is also Robotnik, we can also conclude that Gerald had two sons- Eggman's father and Maria's father (Who would also be Eggman's uncle). Any other children Gerald had (if any) are unknown.

Your theory is actually the canon origin of Archie Robotnik, who was born a Kintobor, and later took his maternal grandfather's name as his own. But this doesn't apply to the games, certainly not.

Ah, right. I subscribe to the theory that neither of Eggman's parents were scientific geniuses. Eggman idolizes and adores his grandfather, but never even gives his parents a cursory mention. I sorta envision them both as really ordinary people.

An alternative theory is that Eggman hails from an exceptionally wealthy family, and that Robotnik Corp. is so named not after Eggman specifically, but because it's his family's company- A company that perhaps he inherited and uses to fund his evil schemes. (Eggman loves naming things after himself, usually with "Egg" or "Eggman" in the title. Never does he name something after his real name, lending to the idea that Robotnik Corp existed prior to Eggman's criminal career.)

Edited by Dr. Mechano

For all we know, Gerald could've had a daughter and therefore he could be Eggman's maternal grandfather, not his paternal grandfather. There's nothing to suggest that Eggman's father was a direct relation of Gerald's, Gerald could just as likely have had a daughter i.e Eggman's mother.

However, he went mad when he learned that Maria died due to her illnesss after the government evacuated her and all the workers from Space Colony Ark.

I may be wrong, but from what I can remember, Gerald was told that Maria died in the alleged accident aboard the ARK, not because of her illness. All the people killed by GUN were stated to be victims of the accident.

Anyway, since Eggman's father was never mentioned, he's probably not important. I guess he was just an ordinary person. Or maybe Eggman never knew him.

I've always kinda wondered... Maria would count as Eggman's sister, no?

I think at one point Maria is stated to be his cousin, but I may be wrong.

On the subject of Eggmans father, for all that we know about him he could just be some bean farmer who spends his summers in Apotos, or even Proffesor Pickle! But I like the idea that he was some kinda wealthy, industrialist, buisness man, who left all his buisness to his son, when he died, and on that note, I also think he is dead in the curent timeline, it wouldn't realy make sense that he was still alive and yet does nothing about his sons actions. This got me thinking that maby Eggman is actualy responsible for his fathers death(asuming he's dead)possibly in order to inherit Robotnick Co., this would be an interesting look into the characters personality, or atleast make for a good fanfic.

Edited by Teoleulbogo

I also think he is dead in the curent timeline, it wouldn't realy make sense that he was still alive and yet does nothing about his sons actions.

But then again, for all we know, he could just be in hiding waiting for the right momment to unleash some scheme to help or destroy the world. Afterall, Gerald Robotnik was able to created a 50 year plan to destroy the earth in a prison cell, so I wouldn't be surprised if his son could do something similar.

Maybe its more likely that Eggman never knew his father. Eggman's father could have been some sort of demented madman, that will be revealed in some later story or game.

Either that or he was just some ordinary man, and Eggman chose to follow a different path, one more like his grandfather's.

When exactly was Gerald put under arrest or w/e? Cuz I find it weird that Eggman looked up to his grandfather who was imprisoned. Figure Gerald made the plans to destroy the earth 50 years ago... Eggman was probably very young/a teen when Gerald was arrested... did he not know of the "accident?" If I knew my grandfather went crazy I wouldn't look up to him unless he looked up to him and had no knowledge of Gerald going crazy.

Speaking of Robotnik Corp, I wonder who its original owner was. Eggman's father? Gerald? I'm more likely to go with Gerald, and here's why. We know that Robotnik Corp produces Extreme Gear, or at least mock ups of it. Shadow's air shoes are extremely similar to the extreme gear shoes. So perhaps his shoes were manufactured by Robotnik Corp?

If that's true than it would show that not only does Eggman come from "a long line of brilliant scientists" (as stated by Eggman Nega), but also a long line of wealthy scientists, which would explain how Eggman has the money to constantly build robotic armies.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza