Awoo.

Going to buy a Saturn.

Crystal Kingfisher

Okay, so lately, I have been collecting all sorts of game consoles, because I don't feel like using emulators anymore. I'm thinking of getting a Saturn sometime this summer or for my birthday, but I need game recommendations. When I had my Saturn emulator, I mainly used it for NiGHTS into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon, and Burning Rangers. I need more suggestions though. Here's what I'm going to get:

For sure:

NiGHTS into Dreams

Panzer Dragoon

Burning Rangers (might need to buy the Jap version though since that is cheaper. Or I could get a Saturn modchip...)

Daytona USA

Thinking of getting:

Fighting Vipers

Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua Cop

Revolution X (because a game where you have to save Aerosmith, and defeat the evil organization that kidnapped them, sounds pretty cool IMO.)

Clockwork Knight

*maybe* Bug (I used to have it on PC when I was 5. I barely remember it, all I remember was that it was about a bug going through 3D mazes, and it was really hard)

Any other suggestions? BTW, before you recommend any of the Sonic games, I might not get Sonic Jam because I have all the Genesis Sonic games on all sorts of other consoles, and I have Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R on PC and I don't like them that much.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot that I also might get Guardian Heroes too, but it's too expensive though. :(

Edited by Crystal

As someone with a copy of Nights on the Saturn, I would say give it a pass. Trust me, its not that much fun unless you have the 3D controller and even then its not a great investment.

However, Christmas Nights sample is pretty good, I can still play that one.

Okay, so lately, I have been collecting all sorts of game consoles, because I don't feel like using emulators anymore. I'm thinking of getting a Saturn sometime this summer or for my birthday, but I need game recommendations. When I had my Saturn emulator, I mainly used it for NiGHTS into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon, and Burning Rangers. I need more suggestions though. Here's what I'm going to get:

For sure:

NiGHTS into Dreams

Panzer Dragoon

Burning Rangers (might need to buy the Jap version though since that is cheaper. Or I could get a Saturn modchip...)

Daytona USA

Thinking of getting:

Fighting Vipers

Virtua Fighter 2

Virtua Cop

Revolution X (because a game where you have to save Aerosmith, and defeat the evil organization that kidnapped them, sounds pretty cool IMO.)

Clockwork Knight

*maybe* Bug (I used to have it on PC when I was 5. I barely remember it, all I remember was that it was about a bug going through 3D mazes, and it was really hard)

Any other suggestions? BTW, before you recommend any of the Sonic games, I might not get Sonic Jam because I have all the Genesis Sonic games on all sorts of other consoles, and I have Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic R on PC and I don't like them that much.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot that I also might get Guardian Heroes too, but it's too expensive though. :(

Revolution X sounds pretty awesome, almost as awesome as Bad Dudes, and I would highly suggest getting Sonic Jam since it has so many extra features. Personally, I never bought a Saturn because the only games I liked for the system were Sonic R and Sonic Jam.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you like racing games then SEGA Rally and Daytona are good choices. If you're thinking of getting the Virtua Cop games then you'll need a good old CRT TV in a spacey area to be able to play with the light gun properly, plus if you have a light gun you might as well get the House of the Dead as well.

Two of my personal favourite Saturn games are WipEout and WipEout 2097/XL, but to my understanding these are not the most popular or mainstream games. ;)

Edited by Amorbis

Virtual Fighter Kids is better than 2 imo, you should pick that up. NightS I enjoy, but it isn't as good as I thought it would be.

The best solution to all of your region lockout/ price issues is definitely a modchip; once installed (which, I've heard, is rather easy, regardless of whether have any kind of soldering experience or not), it will allow you to do almost anything with your Saturn, including running imported games, playing backup discs, and running (the shockingly small library of) homebrew software with no difficulty whatsoever. And, since you live in America, your machine will run every game faultlessly due to the fact that the good ol' US of A uses the NTSC Television system, which operates at 60Hz as standard. Oh, how it pays to pay - and how it pays to be an American!

Dragon Force

Enough said!

Dragon Force (ドラゴンフォース) is a real-time strategy and tactics video game from Sega created for the Sega Saturn. It was created in Japan and translated for U.S. release by Working Designs in 1996. A sequel, never translated, was released for the Saturn in Japan in 1998. The first title was re-released for the PlayStation 2 as part of the Sega Ages series.

EDIT: Damn, there was a sequel! Never knew until now. :o

Edited by killemoff

Revolution X is one of my first games, and I find it both fun and hilarious. I had a good time with it but couldn't destroy that f***ing bus!!

Another good one for the Saturn is House of the Dead. This shooter is incredibly fun, relativly easy and also a good laugh.

In terms of games, I'd most definitely go for the Model 1/ Model 2 Arcade conversions (Sega or otherwise). These include (but are not limited to):

• The House of the Dead
  • Daytona USA (though MAKE SURE that you're buying the far superior "Champion Circuit Edition")
  • Manx TT Superbike
  • Sega Rally Championship
  • Cyber Troopers: Virtual-On (and if you have either a Dreamcast or an Xbox 360, you can try out its sequel; the awesome Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram)
  • Dead or Alive
  • Sega Touring Car Championship
  • Last Bronx
  • Sky Target
  • Virtua Cop
  • Virtua Cop 2 (although it's not really worth it if you own a Dreamcast)
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Virtua Racing (or at least, I think that's what it's called)

Some real classics on that list, most of which are available for decidedly decent prices - happy shopping!

I'll just reccommend the games I have:

Sonic Jam

Quake

Duke Nukem 3D

Alien Trilogy

Hexen

SEGA Volume 1 (or something like that)

Wipeout

Thats about it i think :L

If you ask me, Sonic Jam is worth it for the Sonic World section alone. That said, a lot of that is childhood bias, so make of it what you will.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. And yes, Sarge, I am going to get a 3D controller.

Also, Exaticus, I probably should get a modchip since most of the later Saturn games are very expensive.

Thanks guys.

If you ask me, Sonic Jam is worth it for the Sonic World section alone. That said, a lot of that is childhood bias, so make of it what you will.

No it really is worth getting for the World section alone. Plus you have various difficulties and extra features in the classic 4 games so its worth getting anyway xD.

Definitely get Clockwork Knight, its a brilliant platform game.

I'd suggest the original Tomb Raider and Panzer Dragoon as well but I haven't played either in about 11 years so couldn't really tell you if they're good or not >_________>

Tomb Raider is comprehensively better on every other system than the Saturn.

Tomb Raider is comprehensively better on every other system than the Saturn.

Tomb Raider is comprehensively awful on any game system, especially the Saturn; why anyone would even consider buying it at all is a complete mystery to me. It's one of the most undeserving, badly designed, overrated piles of garbage that I've ever been unfortunate enough to plough through, and how it obtained such monstrously high scores at the time of its release is an absolute miracle - either that, or 90% of the game's budget was blown on briberies, publicity and the gallons of dopamine that it must have taken for anyone to have actually liked such a mammoth load of broken, appallingly clunky trash.

I apologise for the rant, but I really do loathe Tomb Raider with a burning passion.