Awoo.

I have a question about reputation.

agoodusername

What I was getting at was that people use the rep system for things like that. Does it really matter? The system serves no purpose expect to make Pelly a laughing stock. (FYI, I find my rep on that post funny, not upsetting)

ohohoho well that's where you're wrong........as even without the rep system there are plenty of things that serve to make me a laughing stock !!!

.....err wait.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eh, no hard feelings at all. I just didn't want to come across that I don't care about rep because I'm immune to neg-reps or something. I do care very much about neg-rep abuse, and I spent several hours investigating an incident of it just a few days ago because it irked me so much to see it happen. I just don't feel that rep is the most important thing in the world, either. I think people should post sensibly an...

I agree with you, Flyboy Foxtastic. The reputation system is supposed to be a guide for other posters to understand their "behavior" to the forums, so to speak. Also, in the Markplace, I believe you said that the reputation is here for people who are trustworthy for a trade or for a buy.

Anyways, what's the point of ass kissing moderators with +rep if they will never find out that you did? (Jake said only the admins can see who repped who) =/

It's like you are doing it for free. =/

Maybe members see it as a way to thank mods for the hard work they put into the forum, regardless of whether their 'ass kissing' is recognized or not.

Remz, don't take this the wrong way, but somehow I think you're the only one who is able to get away with posting spam images and not have anyone care hahaha.

Maybe members see it as a way to thank mods for the hard work they put into the forum, regardless of whether their 'ass kissing' is recognized or not.

No, no. It's ass-kissing.

just for you and flyboy though~

okay, remz too.

But wouldn't that be "thanking the mods for their hard work" instead of ass-kissing?

In my country they are 2 different things, one implies honesty (google translated) and the other one is a method some people use to be close to thoose who are in charge with hopes of obtaining some favors in the future. :mellow:

No, no. It's ass-kissing.

just for you and flyboy though~

okay, remz too.

pshhh I know, I know

I meant for the others obviously A_____A

But wouldn't that be "thanking the mods for their hard work" instead of ass-kissing?

In my country they are 2 different things, one implies honesty (google translated) and the other one is a method some people use to be close to thoose who are in charge with hopes of obtaining some favors in the future. :mellow:

Nah you're totally right. Asskissing implies dishonesty.

• Thumbs Up 1

pshhh I know, I know

I meant for the others obviously A_____A

surreee you didn't know.

I know just as well as you do that the lipstick on your jeans is no mistake.

i put it on just so you know it was me.

Basically, if you made a good post with good points, you may get +rep.

If you make an ordinary every-day post, your rep will likely stay neutral on it.

If you make a post with controversial/un-thought-out content, you may get neg rep.

But if you act like a douche, you'll DEFINITELY get neg rep.

I think I'm a genuinely awful person and my rep is 200+.. This system is backwards.

r8beqe.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

I think I'm a genuinely awful person and my rep is 200+.. This system is backwards.

I KNOW. I'm an asshole to almost everyone and I get like +5 rep every day!

It's like being rewarded for being a dick.

not opposed to that, but for a rep system it seems odd.

• Thumbs Up 2

I... don't think either of you is an asshole. :\ Maybe you don't want to hear that. I'm sure you'd like to think you're such bad boys, grr! But um... no ♥ You post wittily and within the rules (mostly >_>) and you make me laugh. So, +rep!

There's a certain phenomenon there which in times past I was the prime example of.

I routinely used sarcasm, cleverly worded insults (a favourite pastime of the British) and general dickish behaviour... and somehow obtained near-universal respect. I never really understood that.

Within one particular community to this day I continue to hear that many people were intimidated by me to the point they were actually afraid of talking to me personally. Then the few people who did contact me directly over AIM/MSN usually ended up commenting that in reality I was nothing like who they thought I was.

You can act a dick and get away with it if people see right through it and know that underneath it all there's really a nice guy underneath.

Me, I resort to it only if I feel like I'm in hostile territory. :3

You know what, there should be a guide to get the most Rep out of this place. Reputation is the reason that I post ever so often.

I think that there are many ways that rep is given and how people decide what rep you get.

* Depending on the topic, Rep acts like a morality aproval. For example, if theres a news story topic, rep is normally awarded if you are open to equal rights and don't support cases of discrimination. Topics of example, that one about the lesbian student and her prom.

* Rep, as I said before, is a way to tell if people laugh at your jokes.

* Finding out something yourself that not many people know about. Like if you discover some new Sonic merch or as someone recently did, found all those models from various Sonic games by looking at the portfolios of various artists websites.

* Giving something away. People like free toot.

* Having a good idea, see suggestions/feedback area.

* Making a genually good point. Typically this can occur in any topic on any subject. If you make a good point and it's clear, you'll be rewarded with the green.

Typically... bad rep is given, as far as I can see.

* as a punishment, if you break the forum rules, the red shall come.

* If you say something that the moral majority see as being very inapropriate.... people with strong right wing views won't do well here.

* If you act like an ass for the sake of it. Or go crazy and start yelling for no reason.

* If you deliberately start picking on other people.

Theres other things, but thats what I find is most common... Also posting the following image may help with you getting green rep.

Crazy-Dolphin-Quads--41539.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

Now look above on how fast the reputation grows.

EDIT: I got some good questions. Since there are some posts that get almost 10 pts from it, why not use this as currency? Also, what is the highest and lowest repped posts on this forum?

Edited by Squirtle

I... don't think either of you is an asshole. :\ Maybe you don't want to hear that. I'm sure you'd like to think you're such bad boys, grr! But um... no ♥

rawr?

Trust me, I am not the nicest person.

well okay I donate a couple hundred dollars to charity for chistmas.

and I adopt puppies from the pound so I can take then to a no kill shelter.

and well i'm a loving caring person who only tries to do good in his life and helps people as much as humanly possible.

but I make jokes about dead people! yeah!

take that scociety.

• Thumbs Up 3

[winoldbag_says_words.gif]

Theres other things, but thats what I find is most common... Also posting the following image may help with you getting green rep.

[win image]

Well, it worked for me.

You know what, there should be a guide to get the most Rep out of this place. Reputation is the reason that I post ever so often.

That's... a little sad. And I mean that genuinely. I would hope that people would post here because they enjoy discussing stuff and are having fun as an active member. Not just to get a number in a little green pixel-bubble. Posting for rep is like posting for post count. Or eating a cookie just to add +1 to the number of cookies you've eaten so that you'll be ranked as a popular cookie-eater, rather than because you like eating cookies ;_; I want a cookie.

Edit: Also NO NO NO to using rep as currency. The day that happens is the day I leave SSMB and join a nunnery. A lesbian nunnery, but a nunnery all the same.

That's... a little sad. And I mean that genuinely. I would hope that people would post here because they enjoy discussing stuff and are having fun as an active member. Not just to get a number in a little green pixel-bubble. Posting for rep is like posting for post count. Or eating a cookie just to add +1 to the number of cookies you've eaten so that you'll be ranked as a popular cookie-eater, rather than because you like eating cookies ;_; I want a cookie.

Thats the thing though, I post to talk what feels comfortable about me or true to the point.....and I never get rep.

Its more like wanting more cookies than counting them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I HEARD TALK ABOUT COOKIES AND MORE COOKIES.

where are the cookies give them to me.

Seriously though, don't post for rep. In your case it would be like wanting more cookies to have more to count. :\

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I... don't think either of you is an asshole. :\ Maybe you don't want to hear that. I'm sure you'd like to think you're such bad boys, grr! But um... no ♥ You post wittily and within the rules (mostly >_>) and you make me laugh. So, +rep!

2poqha9.jpg

My reaction to this post.

• Thumbs Up 1

I lol'd. What do you want me to do, slap you on the wrist? I have a thing for kids with attitude. Why do you think I love Sonic so much? (; Huh? HUH?

Yeah, but seriously. There's a fine line between what you guys do and rule-breaking douchebaggery. Occasionally I see stuff that crosses that line, even if just by a bit. But the forum knows who the REAL villains are, which is why it's the outright trolls and stupid asshats who get the neg rep and not (usually) you ♥

• Thumbs Up 1