Awoo.

I have a question about reputation.

agoodusername

I get what you're saying. I mainly just wanted an excuse to use that .gif. :P

Nothing wrong with the reputation system guys. Use it to spread the love around~ ♥

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I lol'd. What do you want me to do, slap you on the wrist? I have a thing for kids with attitude. Why do you think I love Sonic so much? (; Huh? HUH?

Yeah, but seriously. There's a fine line between what you guys do and rule-breaking douchebaggery. Occasionally I see stuff that crosses that line, even if just by a bit. But the forum knows who the REAL villains are, which is why it's the outright trolls and stupid asshats who get the neg rep and not (usually) you ♥

I want to give you guys a warning here, this user seems to be very lonely lately (like, sailor lonely), if you see posts like these, don't get closer, I don't think you want to know what will be the outcome of that...

*is -repped for talking bad about a staff member*

Also:

Awesome post of awesomeness

+

Crazy-Dolphin-Quads--41539.jpg

Needs moar Jaleel White.

Needs moar Jaleel White.

I don't think the internet could handle such awesomeness. Adding him would cause the interwebs to implode upon itself and destroy it's delicious free pr0n and that's no good.

I get what you're saying. I mainly just wanted an excuse to use that .gif. :P

Nothing wrong with the reputation system guys. Use it to spread the love around~ ♥

Agreed. BTW, my rep is now in the negatives. :( Must be something do to with hating things. Edit: :P back int he positive agian!

Edited by Bowserizer

• 2 weeks later...

The rep system reminds me of the banana stickers from that one episode of Metalocalypse.

Anyway, the thing I don't like about the rep system is how ambiguouse it is, for example, did my post get -'ed because they found my language unreasonable or agreasive or was it because they dissagreed with my assesment of something?

• Thumbs Up 3

I have my own system that doesn't require feedback

+rep = They think my post is hilarious, well thought out, brimming with inteligence and sophistication, they want to let me know I'm the most awesome sparkling beautiful person in the universe, ect.

-rep = Misclick.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think + rep is useful as a thank you for anywering a question. Then you don't have to post, just to say thank you :-/

Thats the thing though, I post to talk what feels comfortable about me or true to the point.....and I never get rep.

Its more like wanting more cookies than counting them.

If you were really comfortable about what you were talking about you wouldn't be seeking the approval of other people through a little virtual number that has no impact on anything really. If rep is the only reason you post then maybe you should re-evaluate why you're posting in the first place, its a fansite where people are supposed to be posting about Sonic/games/whateverelseinterestsuscausewereacommunity, not posting because we're fans of Rep The Rephog haha :P

I have my own system that doesn't require feedback

+rep = They think my post is hilarious, well thought out, brimming with inteligence and sophistication, they want to let me know I'm the most awesome sparkling beautiful person in the universe, ect.

-rep = Misclick.

Are you sure?

I mean, -8000 seems like quite a few misclicks...

yes i know the system was being tested i was trying to make a joke whats wrong with you people

The rep system reminds me of the banana stickers from that one episode of Metalocalypse.

This is the greatest post I've ever read in this topic.

Anyway, the thing I don't like about the rep system is how ambiguouse it is, for example, did my post get -'ed because they found my language unreasonable or agreasive or was it because they dissagreed with my assesment of something?

Indeed. On another forum I'm a member of, the rep system was set up where you could only leave rep if you actually explained why you were doing so (and the person who made the post could check the rep left on the individual post more closely to see the comments). It seems to me that a lot of the time it is used on this forum it is being used as big "I Agree/Disagree" button rather than in regards to whether the post was actually quality or not, particularly in more controversial threads where there are obviously people going through and uprating everyone that they agree with and downrating everyone else.

Edited by Tornado

That would be the best thing to do to the rep system. It ain't broken to the point of insane abuse on here but it's also far from perfect.

• 2 months later...

I want to know how to have a better reputation on these boards? I have been looking at the Sonic Stadium website for a long time, way before I registered on the boards. I am a little unhappy that everyone is giving me minuses rather then pluses on my reputation thing. I never mean harm, and I'm a good folk. Perhaps there's more to learn.

Edited by Vulpine
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Act as pretentious and rude as you possibly can, and if you happen to be the most vicious monster of a social-climber in this rat-hole, people will like you.

Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed, and the carrion of this forum will dig into you like the latest gazelle carcass in the Savannah.

edit: Note: Oh, look, someone was silly enough to take me seriously. And they negged me for it too. Who could have seen that coming?

Well, I've slowly marched my way up to +22 with semi-worthy posts over a couple of months, why not ruin it with one post. C'MON, MOFOS. HIT MEH!

Edited by Fieuline Tabby
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I want to know how to have a better reputation on these boards? I have been looking at the Sonic Stadium website for a long time, way before I registered on the boards. I am a little unhappy that everyone is giving me minuses rather then pluses on my reputation thing. I never mean harm, and I'm a good folk. Perhaps there's more to learn.

Well one way to go about it is to learn how to communicate best with others through texts. Everyone has opinions, and expressing your opinion is fine but in most cases remember an opinion should be your view and not bashing other peoples views even if unintentionally. The fanbase is jaded sometimes and lots of different opinions, be yourself and express yourself BUT not at the expense of maybe unintentionally ticking off or upsetting others, or disrespecting what they might think. (Example: Lets say I like Eggman better than Sonic (I do), the appropriate way for me to express this would be, "I enjoy Sonic tremendously but my favorite is always going to be Eggman, because such-and-such-bla-bla-bla though I can respect others feelings and opinions Eggman really stands out to me personally because yaddayadda" AS OPPOSED TO "Eggman's the best Sonic sucks compared to him. Sonic hasn't had many good games as it is and Eggman is always good in his appearances, I hated that game I don't know how anyone could like it Eggman was the only redeeming factor." <That wil lupset people. Better examples but I hope you get what I mean.) Respecting opinions and other people is important.

Being educated when you make a claim also helps, if unsure of something ask the people in the board to learn or look it up. People who feel that something is uneducated will come out especially harsh on it.

Also be mature. Don't whine or complain about stuff, instead try to be constructive if an issue comes up. Being able to be mature about an issue and work through it says a lot more than complaining about it or getting into a mindless argument with someone or being a mindless arguer. There is a difference between a debate and an argument.

Act as pretentious and rude as you possibly can, and if you happen to be the most vicious monster of a social-climber in this rat-hole, people will like you.

Otherwise, you're pretty much screwed, and the carrion of this forum will dig into you like the latest gazelle carcass in the Savannah.

...Are you an I on the same board? o3o But yeah, do not listen to this since acting rude doesn't help anything.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

In addition to what's already been said by Dusk, I noticed being witty or funny works, too.

Posts that contribute greatly to the topic are the ones that are great. Try to think "Will this honestly be of relevance to this topic, won't get people angry, get some people to agree, or make people laugh?" before expecting good rep. Basically, be mature, funny, and not a jerk, and good rep will come in time.

Edited by Sapphire
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The best way to get a good reputation is to stay cool and not care about those silly numbers. For every justified rep point, there's a half dozen that are nonsense; the number's practically meaningless. And most of the people here are pretty cool, so just be chill and things'll be fine, no matter what the numbers say.

• Thumbs Up 3

The best way to get a good reputation is to stay cool and not care about those silly numbers. For every justified rep point, there's a half dozen that are nonsense; the number's practically meaningless. And most of the people here are pretty cool, so just be chill and things'll be fine, no matter what the numbers say.

While I still recommend my answer, this is pretty reasonable too.

All filled with advice on the politics of rep. I liked the old rep topic, it was good fun with all the ideas it bashed about.

It's mainly on pages 3, 4 and 5 of that topic that the ideas start getting bashed about.

Don't say anything that is going to provoke people.

If there's a topic about Sonic Adventure 2 being the best Sonic game ever, don't post a, "The game sucks" comment.

Sometimes people mark down your rep just because of your own opinion. I know that's kinda harsh but it happens.

This is true what they say, Rep is not important. I was more giving advice to have fun time communicating with the community, but don't rely on Rep stuff as it really isn't all that important. It's nice but talking for the sake of talking is better than talking for a rep boost.

And everyone loves a good sense of humor as Sapphire said. XD I don't know anyone who doesn't like to laugh.

Speaking of, why do we continue to insist on having a reputation system? In what way does it carry any benefit worth the cost it wreaks in terms of newbies?