Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

Lol.

2006: We don't want to play as your shitty side characters! Give Sonic the spotlight!

2010: We don't want to play as just Sonic! Give the shitty side characters some spotlight!

Sorry, but somebody had to make the point.

And I think it's been proven that "only Sonic" is not the answer to solving the problem. It's just a scapegoat.

The problem is not the characters themselves, it's tacking them with the latest in terrible gimmicky gameplay.

I prefer to see something like the Advances or Rushes, where the characters have the same core gameplay as Sonic, but with various powers and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing as this game is being developed by Sonic Team I wonder why we've seen nothing yet of a Japanese announcement? I've checked all over the net and nothing so far.

Seeing as this game is being developed by Sonic Team I wonder why we've seen nothing yet of a Japanese announcement? I've checked all over the net and nothing so far.

Silly Shadzter. Japanese people don't care about Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, I just saw the trailer and I haven't read the past 14 pages yet, but I like what I'm seeing. The colorful environment Sonic and Tails ran trough in the teaser gave me a SMG vibe, and the description in the first post made that vibe even stronger (but maybe that's just because I've been playing so much SMG2 :P). I hope SEGA manages to capture the fun of SMG (or at least come close to it).

The problem is not the characters themselves, it's tacking them with the latest in terrible gimmicky gameplay.

I prefer to see something like the Advances or Rushes, where the characters have the same core gameplay as Sonic, but with various powers and whatnot.

That may be true, but for the longest time, people have said, word for word, "SEGA, stop having so many playable characters in the 3D games!" But now that they give Sonic more solo adventures....

"why the fuck is Sonic only playable?!! Jesus Christ, that's not what we wanted!! Sega, get your collective heads out of your asses and LISTEN TO US!!!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Granted, I would have loved seeing co-op action with Tails, but so far, this is exactly the kind of Sonic game I've been wanting to see. So it seems. And besides the fact that it's called SONIC COLOURS.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Silly Shadzter. Japanese people don't care about Sonic.

I know XD

Just we normally see a Japanese announcement for anything from Sonic Team so I was keen to see if they'd reveal anything we haven't seen yet, I should calm down and go to bed since it's 01:43am :lol:

And as tradition goes, people here are writing off the game after a few hours of hearing that its a solo adventure. Way to jump the gun.

I was expecting the next Sonic Wii game was to be another storybook series game. So I'm sorta surprised it isn't. The artwork looks gorgeous. Reminds me of Ferngully or something like that. Good job I have a Wii, so I know I may be able to buy it and play it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up because Unleashed hadn't got me glued like anything that went before.

That may be true, but for the longest time, people have said, word for word, "SEGA, stop having so many playable characters in the 3D games!" But now that they give Sonic more solo adventures....

That's only because the characters have (unfortunately) become synonymous with bad gameplay gimmicks like fishing and what not.

The truth couldn't be farther from it however, and the solo whiners are getting three games in a row! God damn, let us other character fans have a turn once in a while.

On the "Sonic only" debate, it's not so much that we need another game with 2 dozen playable characters. It's just that, at this point, "Sonic only" is pretty much a ruse to fool people into thinking it's proof that it'll be a "good" Sonic game. Oh, Sonic 4 has only Sonic. So it must be good. Sonic and the Secret Rings will be only Sonic, so it must be good. Sonic Unleashed will be "only" "Sonic".

• Thumbs Up 1

That's only because the characters have (unfortunately) become synonymous with bad gameplay gimmicks like fishing and what not.

The truth couldn't be farther from it however, and the solo whiners are getting three games in a row! God damn, let us other character fans have a turn once in a while.

I personally don't care either way however, and I pretty much agree with what you said, though more often then not, people's words were "no more extra characters". Which they did in Unleashed. THEN people thought the werehog sucked, so they took it out. My guess is that Sonic Colours is the result of years of criticism effecting 3D Sonic games. This is what we got.

....it's called fucking Sonic Colours, they seriously couldn't think of a better name... I'll never let that go. My guess is they called it "Sonic Got Depressed Because His Recent 3D Games Sucked Ass, So He Popped Pills and Saw Some Weird-Ass Colors", but it was too long and they shortened it :)

I mean, Sonic in space? Call it Sonic Lightspeed. There, I just thought of a better title.

Edited by EXshad

lol, I just noticed the now-glaringly-obvious hint that Nintendo Power featured in their last issue.

Next issue's going to be a big one. In addition to an exclusive cover story on a huge new title, we'll bring you first looks of half a dozen incredible games. Including de Blob 2 and an astonishing title that stars one of gaming's most recognizable heroes. Plus, we'll have major reviews and more! Color us excited.

And I'm happy that I'm not the only one who thought that Sonic render looks very NiGHTS-esque.

Yup, still extremely excited for this game! Looks like fun.

Edited by HunterTSF

okay just been looking back at a old topic in computer games section lets just cut the bits out where I was wrong

It's a storybook Sonic game set in space with evil aliens on the attack on mars and Sonic has to save all the innocent aliens from being attacked with help of a butt ugly alien as a guide XD (stops joking around XD)
Edited by ςгครђ

I hope that the Wii will be able to do the art style justice. Secret Rings looked nice, I hope they can do the same treatment for this game. If Nintendo can pull off Galaxy 1 & 2 looking beautiful, perhaps SEGA can make their space mascot look just as good, if not perhaps not quite as? Because I really am loving the art direction, probably the best they've come up with for Sonic in a long time.

Well now this is rather interesting...

I didn't think they were going to announce another Sonic title with Sonic 4 and all, but this is rather a surprise.

The concept sounds interesting, but the name itself sounds rather plain and name. Then again, I suppose if they called it something like Sonic Galactic Adventure or something, people would be screaming Mario Galaxy ripoff.

I can't wait to see screenshots and videos so I can jusdge the game properly.

Meh, I think it being Sonic only is one of the high points. Optional playable characters that play slightly different then Sonic would be fine, but being forced to play as others with shitty different gameplay types sucks. I for one applaud Sega/Sonic Team for keeping things a (mostly) Sonic only affair for the past few games now. If they went back to having a bunch of different gameplay types where you are forced to play as everyone and Sonic only gets like 30% play time in his own game then I would totally skip it.

I know everyone has different opinions but the way I see it is that it's Sonic's game series and he should be the focus. They shouldn't bother making a bunch of different gameplay styles. They should just use that time to polish Sonic's or add extra levels for him or something. Optional slightly tweaked characters would be fine though.

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really give a shit what the story is or how important these Wisp things will be to the general plot. I just wanna see some gameplay.

And honestly? As much as I love the idea of more playable characters in this game, imagining Knuckles in this seems rather awkward (and hilarious), so I don't really mind him not appearing for once.

Edited by Chooch

First release date speculation has started from Spong.com , a gaming website where as alot of you know our TSS Founder Dreadknux works. Spong have the game down for a November 2010 UK release which fits in well with SEGA's current official Late 2010 release date. No retailers are listing the game yet to further the speculation but I'll keep an eye out.

Wii -

http://spong.com/game/11047594/Sonic-Colours-Wii

DS -

http://spong.com/game/11047597/Sonic-Colours-DS

First release date speculation has started from Spong.com , a gaming website where as alot of your know our TSS Founder Dreadknux works. Spong have the game down for a November 2010 UK release which fits in well with SEGA's current official Late 2010 release date. No retailers are listing the game yet to further the speculation but I'll keep an eye out.

Wii -

http://spong.com/game/11047594/Sonic-Colours-Wii

DS -

http://spong.com/game/11047597/Sonic-Colours-DS

Didn't someone put up some confirmed release dates a few pages back? Semi-confirmed? Speculated confirmed?

Meh, I think it being Sonic only is one of the high points. Optional playable characters that play slightly different then Sonic would be fine, but being forced to play as others with shitty different gameplay types sucks. I for one applaud Sega/Sonic Team for keeping things a (mostly) Sonic only affair for the past few games now. If they went back to having a bunch of different gameplay types where you are forced to play as everyone and Sonic only gets like 30% play time in his own game then I would totally skip it.

I know everyone has different opinions but the way I see it is that it's Sonic's game series and he should be the focus. They shouldn't bother making a bunch of different gameplay styles. They should just use that time to polish Sonic's or add extra levels for him or something. Optional slightly tweaked characters would be fine though.

You have just completely missed the point. People are saying exactly that- they support multiple characters, but not multiple gameplay styles. S3K style, you know? It's Sonic's series, so make him the focus of course. But there's no reason not to have additional characters.

EDIT: Yong, nobody put up release dates. I made joke release dates for 'Coming Out Day', since you know, rainbows and all that? November makes perfect sense however. It follows Shadow, Rush, 06 and Unleashed pretty well. Plus my birthday is a Saturday in late Nov, so here's hoping the game comes out a day before!

Edited by Blue Blood

You have just completely missed the point. People are saying exactly that- they support multiple characters, but not multiple gameplay styles. S3K style, you know? It's Sonic's series, so make him the focus of course. But there's no reason not to have additional characters.

EDIT: Yong, nobody put up release dates. I made joke release dates for 'Coming Out Day', since you know, rainbows and all that? November makes perfect sense however. It follows Shadow, Rush, 06 and Unleashed pretty well. Plus my birthday is a Saturday in late Nov, so here's hoping the game comes out a day before!

Yeah I must've missed the part about it being a joke. This topic is growing fast afterall.

I personally think sticking to one gameplay style is the best idea they could have, and making it purely Sonic is the best way to go. Keeps things simple, keeps the franchise from becoming "Sonic & Friends" and more "Sonic the Hedgehog", and it gives them more leeway to refine and make the gameplay as perfect as possible, without having to worry about making two forms of gameplay as playable as possible. I'm a little worried about the controls for this game, I mean, I don't want them to go the Other M route and make it 3D gameplay with the D-pad, but I can't imagine nun-chuck and Wii-mote working that great for a 3D Sonic game.

EDIT: Yong, nobody put up release dates. I made joke release dates for 'Coming Out Day', since you know, rainbows and all that?

Oh well....I'm completely fine with that then. Optional S3&K style would be great. I thought people wanted to be forced in the story mode to switch with bullshit treasure hunting type shit again. My mistake. Though I personally am still fine with it being Sonic only.

And I'm happy that I'm not the only one who thought that Sonic render looks very NiGHTS-esque.

*GASP!* You too?

Sonic-Colours-NP256_Cover.png

REBORN? Oh God, not this again. -_-

Edited by silversapphire

Kinda wish they just waited for E3 to announce this, the teaser trailer shows nothing, I'd like to see some gameplay. Oh well, I guess this is just another thing to get excited for, come E3.