Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

If anyone wants to PM me the various art and stuff shown for this game so far i'd be glad to add it to the OP

"Greetings my friend. We are all intersted in Sonic Colours, that's the new Sonic game. Remember my friend, classic Sonic games affect the new Sonic games. You are intersted in the hedgehog, the fox, the colors. That is why your here. And now we bring you the teaser of what this game is about. We are bringing all the colors, based on the non leaked footage, of blue hedgehogs the run fast. The incidents, the colors. My friend we cannot keep this secret any longer. Let us punish the new. Let us reward the classics. My friend, can you open your heart to the shocking facts of color aliens from outer space?" - Sega

If you get the refence then your awesome. But this is pretty much what Sega is pulling off here. :D

Yay for non leaked games!

Edited by Malice Misery

I see your point and know very well that the Wii is capable of outstanding graphical feats (for a console of that power level anyway)... but Sonic Team can never be said to have pushed the system visually, at least not like Nintendo has. One can hope that they'll start trying their hardest to do so.

To be frank, Sonic Team never pushes anything graphically. Even the Hedgehog Engine is already redundant - other engines already do Global Illumination, some pre-baked (Unreal Engine 3/UDK) and some real-time (like the lighting engine in Dark Void), and for God's sake, Star Fox Adventures did fur shading better than Unleashed (and heck, the latter's fur shading practially killed the framerate when up close), and that was a generation ago. The only things that actually make the Hedgehog Engine stand out is that nifty little CGI trick Sonic Team threw in and how it loads up incoming stuff quickly.

Though, they're getting better at Wii visuals. Black Knight was a treat for the eyes, even though it still has nothing on Galaxy.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

I see your point and know very well that the Wii is capable of outstanding graphical feats (for a console of that power level anyway)... but Sonic Team can never be said to have pushed the system visually, at least not like Nintendo has. One can hope that they'll start trying their hardest to do so.

Black Knight has the best graphics I've ever seen on the Wii. Maybe it's just me, but seriously.

Personally, I think the three best looking Wii games, in no particular order, are Mario Galaxy 1+2, LostWinds (both games), and

which hasn't even been released yet, and makes me drool.

Note that the last two titles I listed are WiiWare games. My Graphics Design teacher in my Games Design course reminds the class constantly of the saying "With the minumum, I will create the maximum". Very applicable to this.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Really?

Mario Galaxy is very nice, yes, but it never stood out as being particularly eye-popping. I mean, are we talking about 'pretty to look at', or sheer graphical quality, here?

Mario Galaxy is a nice mix of both, but personally I think LostWinds, whilst certainly pretty to look at, doesn't look that much above the better-looking GameCube games. I will also point out that (if memory serves), Galaxy actually had a few graphical effects that were actually done better in Sunshine, most noticeably the effect of the water lapping on the shoreline in Beach Bowl.

Okay, that Jett Rocket game does look pretty amazing (that's WiiWare?!), but yeah, I'd put it on the same level as Mario Galaxy. Maybe Sonic and the Black Knight just seems more graphically impressive because it's got fairly realistic visuals. I mean, they modelled almost every individual blade of grass, for crying out loud- Titanic Plan looks absolutely epic as a result.

Edited by Mahzes

Yeah, you gotta differentiate style from graphical quality. Galaxy, even for a first party title is only just on par with some of the best titles on the Wii as far as graphics go. From a style perspective is where it makes most of its gains.

Black Knight, while technically rather impressive, doesn’t capture the awe that level of graphics should evoke.

Edit:

I don’t get where this “Sega never pushes” mentality comes from anyway. You can stop practically anywhere on Jungle Joyride or Orange Rooftops and be floored by the quality. That is really saying something considering how much stage the developers had to work with.

It may not be industry leading, but Sega (with titles like MadWorld and Val Chronicles) and Sonic Team (with Unleashed and Black Knight) are nearly always at the forefront for quality graphics.

Edited by Gallia

Star Fox Adventure did that fur shader. Sonic Unleashed did the fur shader, GI, full screen motion blur, that edge highlighting effect I can never remember the name of, HDR calculations, real time shadow mapping, frensel reflections, and the real time data codec. However I really think a Sonic game would benefit a lot more from being able to peg 60fps.

Edited by Phos

Yeah, you gotta differentiate style from graphical quality. Galaxy, even for a first party title is only just on par with some of the best titles on the Wii as far as graphics go. From a style perspective is where it makes most of its gains.

Black Knight, while technically rather impressive, doesn’t capture the awe the level of graphics should evoke.

That's exactly it- you can't directly compare say, Black Knight and Galaxy, if you ask me.

What I meant was that, in my opinion, Black Knight has managed to have the highest, technical, graphical quality that I've ever seen from the console, for the most part. But then again, it's got a relatively gritty, realistic medieval style, so it's not exactly the prettiest thing to look at from a stylistic point of view.

I reckon Sonic Team could manage that same level of technical graphical expertise that they achieved with Black Knight and use it in a friendlier, happier environment, then we'd be onto something special.

I've just had a thought, what if the Wii and DS versions can interact with eachother?

I wonder who at Sonic Team is directing this game. Iizuka is working on Sonic 4 so who's left?

I've just had a thought, what if the Wii and DS versions can interact with eachother?

I was pondering over the “artistic” quality of the game a while back and couldn’t think of a way to incorporate Okami esc elements into the title without slowing it down.

Shadz, I think you just answered the question. The DS would make a great canvas to draw on (for a mini-game maybe?). If they let you hook up the DS to the main game, you could draw your way through the spectrum.

Edited by Gallia

Shadz, I think you just answered the question. The DS would make a great canvas to draw on (for a mini-game maybe?). If they let you hook up the DS to the main game, you could draw your way through the spectrum.

Yeah that would be cool. The press release says both versions will have exclusive Wisp power-ups so what if they allowed you to trade the exclusive Wisps to the other version?

Yeah that would be cool. The press release says both versions will have exclusive Wisp power-ups so what if they allowed you to trade the exclusive Wisps to the other version?

Works for me, although I imagine that the ability to combine powers creates enough diversity for the game to not require such an expansion. Plus, if Sega were to make a trading system that was both fun and functional, their doors would be caved in by a flash mob demanding the return of Chao Raising.

I still think those three games are the best both technically AND artistically. Kinda hard to describe exactly why, though.

It may not be industry leading, but Sega (with titles like MadWorld and Val Chronicles) and Sonic Team (with Unleashed and Black Knight) are nearly always at the forefront for quality graphics.

While both games looked good, I honestly don't think their technical quality is up to snuff, as, IMO, other games on their respective systems are already doing many things better in technical terms. And before that, Sonic Team has never been good at pushing graphical quality, I mean, look at Heroes and Shadow. Sonic 06 also fails to impress graphically.

Star Fox Adventure did that fur shader. Sonic Unleashed did the fur shader, GI, full screen motion blur, that edge highlighting effect I can never remember the name of, HDR calculations, real time shadow mapping, frensel reflections, and the real time data codec. However I really think a Sonic game would benefit a lot more from being able to peg 60fps.

Whoa, that's kinda unfair. I was only making the comparisons for the fur shader - I'm saying that SFA's fur shader not only looks better, it doesn't slow the damn game down when the camera is close-up. In Unleashed, the frame-rate drops whenever the camera closes in on the Werehog, it's most noticeable in cutscenes. But, yeah. The HE relies so much on smoke and mirrors and yet fails to maintain 60fps.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

What. On par? It's actually one of the very best, and even so, it's one of the few Wii games that runs at a steady 60fps the WHOLE GAME. It slows down... pff, like hardly. It never drops below 50fps, and I doubt it drops at all.

That was my point mostly, the Wii can handle good graphics and good framerate. Easily. Not as good in the graphics department as I could be, but it's not bad either.

The Japanese website gave me seizure.

This game had really better be trippy colours galore. Sure it'll be rich and vibrant, but trippy all the time? I hope so!

While both games looked good, I honestly don't think their technical quality is up to snuff, as, IMO, other games on their respective systems are already doing many things better in technical terms. And before that, Sonic Team has never been good at pushing graphical quality, I mean, look at Heroes and Shadow. Sonic 06 also fails to impress graphically.

I disagree. While you can feel free to dock the Hedgehog Engine some points for doing things that other engines have been doing before, you have to be just as quick to give some credit where it is due in the sense that the H Engine does all these things while following the hero character along at some 500 mph and looking nothing short of gorgeous when at its best.

Sure it has some hiccups here and there, but first party this aint.

Shadows darker colors really trash any chance it had at serious graphical qualities, and there is a similar effect to Heroes overly bright world. I thought 06 was fine graphics wise for its time, I just think the realist direction they took makes people more inclined to bash at it.

What. On par? It's actually one of the very best, and even so, it's one of the few Wii games that runs at a steady 60fps the WHOLE GAME. It slows down... pff, like hardly. It never drops below 50fps, and I doubt it drops at all.

Yes, it looks good, but from a detail standpoint it is really nothing special. The designers just took advantage of the users perception of color and created an incredibly candy looking render. Pretty to look at, and bonus to the frame rate, but I am more impressed by the titles that do more, under more stress.

Mapping individual blades of grass in a Sonic game of all games marks as a significantly higher achievement in my book.

I'll also take this space to point out that Wiileashed was nominated under IGN's best graphics for the Wii 2008. IGN LINK

Edited by Gallia
  • Thumbs Up 1

but Sonic Team can never be said to have pushed the system visually, at least not like Nintendo has. One can hope that they'll start trying their hardest to do so.

945572_100954_front.jpg

*slowly walks away*

Serious? Unleashed Wii had very standard visuals. They weren't bad, but weren't particularly good either. The storybook titles both stand out as having particularly good graphics for the system.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sigh, every time I watch that teaser it makes me sad... when I first saw it, the flying Tails got my hopes up to finally get to play as at least 1 other characters, and then it was revealed this is a solo adventure. :(

I'm sick of all this Sonic-only trend, side characters fans have been neglected for so long, ever since Sonic 06.

If the next Sonic game is released in 2011, we'll have waited for 5 years (5!) before getting something we're interested in, and that's assuming the next game Does have other playable characters...

I take a break for one day....One day!

This trailer looks nifty, though I'm getting two vibes for this. Sonic 3D Flickies Island because Sonic has to rescue weird creatures on an unknown area. Also Sonic Shuffle. I don't know why. Sonic only? Nuts. You see, this is what happens when some people say we only want Sonic.

The Wisps are aliens? Kinda sick of Sonic aliens since Shadow and Zero Gravity. Though its very good that we're about to get a 3D Sonic game where I think Eggman is the main villain again (Hand on wood).

I'll just post what I said in a silly Shadow <3 topic at the SEGA Forums -

They can only make so many games a year so I'd consider games as far back as 2006 or 2007 recent, they can't have the other characters appear in nearly every game just for the sake of keeping those characters 'fresh' when they don't fit in the game in question.

The other characters have still appeared in games like M&SATOWG, Rivals 2, SR:ZG, Sonic and the Black Knight, S&SASR and Sonic Chronicles. I'm not fussed myself, I think playable Tails would have been nice we're yet to see anything of the game to see wether other characters would fit in with the game or not.

Liking it. I'm currently working atm, so here's a copypasta from the TSS comments I wrote;

Interesting!

Naturally, we’ve yet to see what kind of game it even is, but I’m liking the sound of the setup. I’d like to see this ‘alien world’ to be in the style of the ‘alien’ approach to Sonic CD – very strange and different from Sonic’s world, but still designed like a Sonic game should. It’d be a step backwards if the world we ended up seeing was akin to that of Sonic and the Black Knight, or Sonic 06 or even Sonic Adventure 2. The ‘alien world’ concept shouldn’t be an excuse to make the landscapes not feel like a place Sonic would explore.

Having said that, if that short trailer is anything to go by we don’t have anything to worry about. That area Sonic and Tails are zooming through looks pretty sweet. I’m liking those Wisps too – the one at the bottom with the bad ass face is my favourite. He knows the score, bitches.

I'm looking forward to this, very much.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'll just post what I said in a silly Shadow <3 topic at the SEGA Forums -

The other characters have still appeared in games like M&SATOWG, Rivals 2, SR:ZG, Sonic and the Black Knight, S&SASR and Sonic Chronicles. I'm not fussed myself, I think playable Tails would have been nice we're yet to see anything of the game to see wether other characters would fit in with the game or not.

I was talking non-spinoff games, and the optional characters in Black Knight were a joke, 3 stages... that was still mainly a solo adventure.

At least the Sonic Chronicles series does give side characters a lot of space... oh wait, they cancelled the sequel. <_<

This solo trend hardly feels fair to the portion of the fandom I belong to.

Edited by ilcane87