Awoo.

Sonic Colours: New Wii/DS game

Remy

I was talking non-spinoff games, and the optional characters in Black Knight were a joke, 3 stages... that was still mainly a solo adventure.

At least the Sonic Chronicles series does give side characters a lot of space... oh wait, they cancelled the sequel. <_<

This solo trend hardly feels fair to the portion of the fandom I belong to.

Yes but that's what I mean, they can only make so many games a year and 'main series' games are even rarer. Just because they only happen so often doesn't mean they need other characters every time, they'll no doubt make another game where other playable characters fit in eventually.

Rivals 2, Rush Adventure and Chronicles aren't very old and they're 'main series' games that have other characters in.

It's really nice too see near-universal appreciation for a Sonic game for once. So what if it's only a few pieces of art, CG trailer and seizure inducing BG on the Japanese site? First impressions do count for something. When they were first unveiled, people had reason to rage over recent titles- Unleashed (real world, fighting game), Sonic 06 (real world, what was with the Sonic design), Riders (hoverboards), Shadow (...) and even Rush Adventure. Most of us seem disappointed at the Sonic-only thing, but nobody's (read: only like 3 people) full on got upset because of that.

You know, I hope we'll be seeing more 'open' levels, if not an outright sandbox. And give Sonic the ability to actually TURN. In Unleashed, non-Werehog Sonic had horrifically bad turning outside of the hubs. Actually, I'd prefer if they'd avoid the Unleashed style in general altogether.

Yes but that's what I mean, they can only make so many games a year and 'main series' games are even rarer. Just because they only happen so often doesn't mean they need other characters every time, they'll no doubt make another game where other playable characters fit in eventually.

But it's not like they happened to make a couple main games without side characters, it's more like this is the 5th platform game in a row to not feature them...

(I'm counting Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight and Sonic 4 in these platform games)

Since they Do make a platform game only every once in a long while, it'd be fair to try and implement a few other characters to please the fans from time to time, but 5 years is truly exagerated...

But it's not like they happened to make a couple main games without side characters, it's more like this is the 5th platform game in a row to not feature them...

(I'm counting Secret Rings, Unleashed, Black Knight and Sonic 4 in these platform games)

Since they Do make a platform game only every once in a long while, it'd be fair to try and implement a few other characters to please the fans from time to time, but 5 years is truly exagerated...

Rivals 2 and Sonic Rush Adventure were released 2-3 years ago which are platform main series games, Rivals 2 may be racing but still kept the platforming and stuff in aswell as a Free Mode where you don't need to race. Aren't Secret Rings and Black Knight considered spin-offs and not main series? So that leaves just Sonic 4, Unleashed and this game as solo main series platformer games in the last 5 years.

I reckon they'll have a big 20th Anniversary game in the works with other characters playable to celebrate everything Sonic.

Rivals 2 and Sonic Rush Adventure were released 2-3 years ago which are platform main series games, Rivals 2 may be racing but still kept the platforming and stuff in aswell as a Free Mode where you don't need to race. Aren't Secret Rings and Black Knight considered spin-offs and not main series? So that leaves just Sonic 4, Unleashed and this game as solo main series platformer games in the last 5 years.

I reckon they'll have a big 20th Anniversary game in the works with other characters playable to celebrate everything Sonic.

You make a fair point, but I still find myself starving for a game that gives space to side characters... the fact that I don't own portable consoles might be a factor, I'll give you that.

I see no reason a playable Tails or Knuckles wouldn't have fit this game though, just to make everyone happy. :unsure:

I'll keep my hopes up for optional characters, NP might've stretched the "solo" thing in that case.

Edited by ilcane87

Holy crap yay. Sonic 4 is awesome looking, but I really love my 3D Sonic games. Very glad I might be playing another new one this year.

EDIT: Is it snobby of me to hope they localise it to "Sonic Colours" in the UK? D8

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

You make a fair point, but I still find myself starving for a game that gives space to side characters... the fact that I don't own portable consoles might be a factor, I'll give you that.

I see no reason a playable Tails or Knuckles wouldn't have fit this game though, just to make everyone happy. :unsure:

I'll keep my hopes up for optional characters, NP might've stretched the "solo" thing in that case.

I can see how you feel and I'm sure a game like that will come, I hope Tails is at least implemented well as a non playable character in this game and I hope Dr.Eggman is the only villain.

EDIT: Is it snobby of me to hope they localise it to "Sonic Colours" in the UK? D8

Uh, they have done.

Sonic_colours_comingsoon.png

Truth be told, we knew about Sonic Colours before Sonic Colors.

Edited by Blue Blood

can't say anything about it yet, but...

Sonic & Tails running together : Hell yes!

Classic feeling: Hell yes!

but now let's go to the interesting part: SPECULATIONS

I'm quite sure that Sonic, Tails and Eggman will be the main in this game. Tails will be playable too, as a different skin for Sonic. I mean, in similiar way to Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

Sonic is faster and can take advantage of all aliens' power ups, while Tails is slower, can take advantage of less aliens and can find different routes flying ( a la Sonic Adventure)

This game is perfect for Knuckles presence too. He would be playable with some extra abilities maybe as extra finishing the game (same Sonic/Tails style, just for returning back in time)

Amy is perfect for a little minigame dedicated to her, something just like one level per planet/zone. Of course her presence in story mode

I don't know why, but I'd like the inclusion of Blaze somehow, maybe in 2 player extra character, or a cameo in story mode.

I'd also would like to see NiGHTS, Ristar and our cute chaos as cameo through planets, as well as Cream the Rabbit and Big around there; I don't like them so much, but they're just perfect for this game.

I'd like to see a chao garden, maybe...

for make it short:

Main playables: Sonic, Tails

Unlockables 1 P: Knuckles (Blaze)

Minigame: Amy (don't know what kind of, maybe some Piko Piko use against bad aliens :) )

...Chao Garden... : Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Amy

Multiplayer mode:

Classic levels: Sonic, Tails,Knuckles,Blaze

Party game mode: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Blaze, Big, Shadow, Eggman, Silver, Rouge

About the story mode I'm not sure, I'd like to see a linear story, but not boring. A reference to Angel island would be nice and addictive. The Chaos Emerald should be involved too, as well as Super Sonic playable in stages and against the final boss (Eggman please).

The story shouldn't be splitted, just a long one, where you can use Sonic, Tails and Amy, while having Knuckles and others' cameos like Cream,Big,Knuckles and Blaze. Seeing the scenarios the atmosphere will certainly be cartoonish and funny to watch.

oh, almost forgot, good hub worlds should be there too

Edited by BlueHedgehog92

Uh, they have done.

Sonic_colours_comingsoon.png

Truth be told, we knew about Sonic Colours before Sonic Colors.

Awesome. Sorry, 20 pages is a bit of a lot to look through, lol.

Euggh!

I was hoping this was a bad dream caused by being up too lat last night - I guess I was wrong to think positively.

I know it's not much to go on, but this looks terrible. Seeing Sonic and Tails running together got my hopes up, then the rest......

Aliens are lame. They are a cheapening trick and I don't think they belong in the Sonic series which already has enough mythos and history to create some really cool places/things/events without having to resort to using aliens aaaaauuuhgaaain.

Eggman's plot sounds stupid and childish yet again, and come on seriously, Colours!? To me this looks like an uber kiddie-fest mario galaxy wannabe.

Oh Sonic, how the mighty have fallen.

Edited by The-Master-Board

I think that the aspects that for now should excite are: Sonic & Tails and Level design (very classic)

can't say anything about it yet, but...

Sonic & Tails running together : Hell yes!

Classic feeling: Hell yes!

but now let's go to the interesting part: SPECULATIONS

I'm quite sure that Sonic, Tails and Eggman will be the main in this game. Tails will be playable too, as a different skin for Sonic. I mean, in similiar way to Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

Sonic is faster and can take advantage of all aliens' power ups, while Tails is slower, can take advantage of less aliens and can find different routes flying ( a la Sonic Adventure)

This game is perfect for Knuckles presence too. He would be playable with some extra abilities maybe as extra finishing the game (same Sonic/Tails style, just for returning back in time)

Amy is perfect for a little minigame dedicated to her, something just like one level per planet/zone. Of course her presence in story mode

I don't know why, but I'd like the inclusion of Blaze somehow, maybe in 2 player extra character, or a cameo in story mode.

I'd also would like to see NiGHTS, Ristar and our cute chaos as cameo through planets, as well as Cream the Rabbit and Big around there; I don't like them so much, but they're just perfect for this game.

I'd like to see a chao garden, maybe...

for make it short:

Main playables: Sonic, Tails

Unlockables 1 P: Knuckles (Blaze)

Minigame: Amy (don't know what kind of, maybe some Piko Piko use against bad aliens :) )

...Chao Garden... : Sonic,Tails,Knuckles,Amy

Multiplayer mode:

Classic levels: Sonic, Tails,Knuckles,Blaze

Party game mode: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Blaze, Big, Shadow, Eggman, Silver, Rouge

About the story mode I'm not sure, I'd like to see a linear story, but not boring. A reference to Angel island would be nice and addictive. The Chaos Emerald should be involved too, as well as Super Sonic playable in stages and against the final boss (Eggman please).

The story shouldn't be splitted, just a long one, where you can use Sonic, Tails and Amy, while having Knuckles and others' cameos like Cream,Big,Knuckles and Blaze. Seeing the scenarios the atmosphere will certainly be cartoonish and funny to watch.

oh, almost forgot, good hub worlds should be there too

...try reading the actual press release. It's a solo adventure.

it doesn't matter the press release, about Sonic Unleashed they had said about Knukcles and Shadow playable too, but then we know what happened...anyway, speculation is a way to let SEGA see our ideas, and my favourite way to spread out ideas: just call it fan daydreaming if you want. Anyway I think that SEGA is hiding some surprises...I have this feeling and I'll continue dreaming

it doesn't matter the press release, about Sonic Unleashed they had said about Knukcles and Shadow playable too, but then we know what happened...anyway, speculation is a way to let SEGA see our ideas, and my favourite way to spread out ideas: just call it fan daydreaming if you want. Anyway I think that SEGA is hiding some surprises...I have this feeling and I'll continue dreaming

Shadow and Knuckles appearing was a fan rumor, not an official statement by SEGA in any way shape or form. I also highly doubt Sonic Team will delay their release for the prospect of multiple characters or... minigames. :huh:

And yeah, of course SEGA's hiding surprises, we've only seen a lone cinematic trailer produced by VE Animation Studios.

Daydreaming about this will hardly be fruitful if you ignore the only information we're given. Oh well, continue with that. I'll wait until I see some actual gameplay and more official information.

By the way, did I ever mention how freaking adorable I think those little Wisps are? I want one.

Edited by Indigo Dude

No, it didnt'. During a playthrough at E3 08, Ken Balough said that 'characters like Tails, Knuckles Amy and Should will make an appearance'. That was a bit of wrong information of his end. While Tails and Amy were present, Shadow and Knuckles weren't (though there was a funny Shadow joke). No source EVER said you could play as anyone besides Sonic. The Nintendo Power cover clearly states it's a gimmick-free solo adventure. Tails is there, but he'll be playing a role similar to in Unleashed and Rush Adventure no doubt. Gimmick free just means that this game is free from gameplay changing gimmicks (treasure hunting/mech shooting/hoverboarding/Werehogging/vehiclesing/pirate shipping/psycho powering/sword fighting/carrying a lame princessing/minecarting).

Edited by Blue Blood

some of my daydream about SASR worked so I'm trying again XD

anyway, SEGA wants to make money out of this, so a party game mode is quite obvious, mainly because:

- Wii and DS game

- cartoony style

- It would make the game sell more

SEGA knows about what the fans want after 06 and Unleashed, so I highly thing that they've decided a mix about those two games about other chars's roles:

No different game styles in main story mode, just some differences between chars ( A la Sonic 2 and 3), but various characters around as cameos, multiplayer and minigames.

Excuse my lateness, but that new artwork from Nintendo Power is just... wow. Some of the best Sonic artwork I've seen for a while. Simply stunning.

This is looking like it'll be a light-hearted, enjoyable little adventure and I guess for that reason alone it makes sense that it's exclusive to Nintendo's more "family friendly" consoles. But y'know what? I like that fact. Not just because I'm a Wii/DS-only owner, but because Sonic doesn't always need to be dark or edgy. It just needs to be fun and vibrant, and this looks like it'll tick both of those boxes straight away.

Seriously wanting some screenshots or gameplay footage soon, just so I can tell exactly what I should be getting excited about. The concept definitely intrigues me, I just want to see how the (small number of) details we have so far actually translate into the gameplay.

Edited by Doctor MK

Works for me, although I imagine that the ability to combine powers creates enough diversity for the game to not require such an expansion. Plus, if Sega were to make a trading system that was both fun and functional, their doors would be caved in by a flash mob demanding the return of Chao Raising.

Yes please. Wips in place of animals, plus Wii to DS conectivity. It won't happen, but oohh! If only they could use my universal download chao garden idea! Then there would be no doubt!

Edited by Chaos Walker

So someone at Destructoid played it already? I say this because of this quote:

A little bird tells me that Sonic Colors is actually pretty good. Surprisingly not crap, in fact. Judgment of course will have to be reserved until some proper hands-on time is acquired, but decent things have been heard.

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-colors-gets-some-images-that-you-can-look-at-174633.phtml

We already saw these images but yeah.

Edited by Torcano

So someone at Destructoid played it already? I say this because of this qoute:

A little bird tells me that Sonic Colors is actually pretty good. Surprisingly not crap, in fact. Judgment of course will have to be reserved until some proper hands-on time is acquired, but decent things have been heard.

http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-colors-gets-some-images-that-you-can-look-at-174633.phtml

We already saw these images but yeah.

Positive impressions can only be a good thing! :P

@Doctor Eggman: Awesome mock-up! I'd be totally happy if that ended up as the final box art.

So someone at Destructoid played it already? I say this because of this quote:

I think the might have just seen it and liked what they saw. Hence why Jim says they still need "proper hands-on time". But I guess it's possible for those to be hands-on impressions. The game is coming out this Fall after all.

Edited by SykoTech

The press have already had a chance to play the game. Pretty sure of that.

And Eggman, everybody would be so thrilled if that was the boxart. Perhaps replace some more of those standard Wisps with other coloured ones, and make sure you can see the main Wisps curly hair, and that's probably what SEGA will come out with.