Awoo.

The Webcomics topic.

Diogenes

So, webcomics. Drawn or sprited, serious or comedic, long runners or those fresh from the womb; no matter what you're looking at, there's a metric shit-ton of them out there. So many, in fact, that it can be hard to find the real gems amid all the poor attempts and failed startups. So here's a topic to help separate the wheat from the chaff, to discuss and recommend your favorite webcomics, as well as to discuss the art of webcomics in general.

And so, as the topic description alludes: Why aren't you reading Homestuck yet?!

Homestuck is the current story on MS Paint Adventures, a collection of stories largely based on reader suggestions and video game parody. But before I talk about Homestuck, I should talk about Problem Sleuth, the only completed story thus far, and a good place to start reading. Problem Sleuth is, at its core, the story of three hard-boiled detectives as they attempt to hunt down mobsters, get the girl(s), and escape from their offices. It is also the story of candy corn vampires, weasels flipping the fuck out, Snoop Dogg busts, and Hunk Rump magazine (but not pumpkins. There never was a pumpkin, and I find it absurd that you would imply otherwise). To call it "random" would be to do it a great disservice, but it is most certainly bizarre, absurd, and largely unplanned, and it is not only hilarious but awesome, in both senses of the word. The final battle does tend to drag just a bit, tho'...

So if you enjoyed that, you simply must continue on to Homestuck. Everything good about Problem Sleuth, Homestuck takes and turns it up to...I don't even know if numbers go that high. It starts a bit slow, but the payoff once it gets rolling is so very worth it, and only seems to be getting better. The heroes this time are four kids, longtime friends living in different parts of the world, who begin playing a Sims-like game called Sburb, which quickly becomes something much, much more. It's difficult to describe what happens from there, if only because of the sheer number of jaw-dropping moments, the insane number of callbacks and hidden hints, the crazy plot twists, and amazing music and animations (as well as the occasional hilariously bad ones) that I don't want to spoil. It's not often that I can say of a thing that literally every character in it is awesome. It's even rarer that I can say "that Con Air reference is one of the greatest things I've seen in my life"...more than once. And I'll say it: this is the goddamn Citizen Kane of webcomics, and I am not exaggerating one bit.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Diogenes

• BlueFox

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...in my defense, I had forgotten it even existed.