Awoo.

SOS forum section

Badnik Mechanic

With SOS getting closer and information slowly coming out from... well... Dread.

Would it not make sense to give it its own temporary section on the forums rather than have people trying to arrange pre-meetups, walking to the event and questions about it in just the one topic thats been going on for a while? It wouldn't just be useful for arranging meetups and the like, but also a lot of people come to this from abroad or who just don't know London very well. I've already lost count the number of times I've sent people advice regarding hotels and travel info, I imagine I'm not the only one.

Last year especially, even though the location was announced and everyone knew it, on the day a couple of people were asking if anybody knew if there were any nearby cash machines, shops and tubes etc.

If the event had it's own section on the forums it would assist with planning for those who don't know the area very well and help us sort out any pre-meets that people try to arrange each year instead of trying to do it in one topic and then wading through pages of information.

We have this thing called "Personal Messaging". Its invented so that many forum friends can send out important messages regarding their group....

Oh, Sorry, I didn't read, I have a "act first, think later" policy.

I agree, regarding information should be pinned in the Announcements section. On the other hand, another sub-forum would be cool if it isn't directly linkable on the home page. (bah, Squirtle's grammar is like alphabet soup...only ever so often that it displays correctly)

Edited by Squirtle
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

We have this thing called "Personal Messaging". Its invented so that many forum friends can send out important messages regarding their group....

What would I do without people reminding me of the obvious?

You can't arrange meet-ups that way. Theres a number of reasons why that doesn't work, mainly because other than your buddies you won't try to contact anyone else. Having an invite that everyone can access allows for people who are not on your friends list to join you, which is the whole point of these kinds of things.

Not to mention that you probably won't get many replys if you randomly PM people who you see on the forum users online list. Everyone needs to see who will be going and who is interested otherwise you won't get anyone joining your pre-show party.

• Thumbs Up 3

As the date approaches I may see if I can whip something up for you guys. As for now though, I'll make sure the big guy sees the suggestion for a question and answer forum or whatnot. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

What would I do without people reminding me of the obvious?

You can't arrange meet-ups that way. Theres a number of reasons why that doesn't work, mainly because other than your buddies you won't try to contact anyone else. Having an invite that everyone can access allows for people who are not on your friends list to join you, which is the whole point of these kinds of things.

Not to mention that you probably won't get many replys if you randomly PM people who you see on the forum users online list. Everyone needs to see who will be going and who is interested otherwise you won't get anyone joining your pre-show party.

You didn't read my full post. You probably just glanced at the first sentence. I said it would be okay to have a hidden subforum about SOS.

Edited by Squirtle

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway that we could get something sorted soonish?

Only now that the venue has been confirmed theres a lot of people have been asking about hotels and things about the local area such as food/shops etc. And last night someone actually asked about which airport would be the best to fly to.

I second this suggestion since I'll be coming from abroad and may have some questions about the area and whatnot. A temporary SoS forum would make it easier to find the information instead of having to search through pages of one topic as Gnasher mentioned.