Awoo.

References to the classics

batson

In case anyone hadn't noticed, Sonic doesn't tend to hang around in the past that much.

Heh. I find it ironic how Sonic is always moving forward himself, and yet his fans can't get their heads out of the past 17 years. (Read: this isn't a jab at anyone. Honestly. I can be that way, too.) It WOULD be nice to see a few references, but like some people have said, there HAVE been some. And like some other people have said, it was so long ago that referencing it this far in the future would be sort of stupid.

I mean, think about it. How often do you reference something that happened over a decade ago (unless there's a reason for it)? Having said that, I agree that a Death Egg reference in SA2 WOULD have been neat.

Nothing to get all whiny over, though, in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. *shrugs*

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• SuperStingray

• batson

• JezMM

I mean, think about it. How often do you reference something that happened over a decade ago (unless there's a reason for it)? Having said that, I agree that a Death Egg reference in SA2 WOULD have been neat.

There was another Death Egg in Sonic Battle. They never actually referenced the original though when it was brought up so I don't know whether that was a nod to the old fans or just Sonic Team forgetting their own canon again.

Heh. I find it ironic how Sonic is always moving forward himself, and yet his fans can't get their heads out of the past 17 years. (Read: this isn't a jab at anyone. Honestly. I can be that way, too.) It WOULD be nice to see a few references, but like some people have said, there HAVE been some. And like some other people have said, it was so long ago that referencing it this far in the future would be sort of stupid.

Nothing to get all whiny over, though, in my opinion. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. *shrugs*

Super Mario Galaxy not available for comment.

Huh? O_o

I think he's saying that Mario Galaxy had a lot of references to past Mario games despite being a more recent title.

And it is very true; for virtually all Mario games for that matter.

I would like to know why they said bye to his original roots.. was it so bad ?? It fitted him, and now we have to adept every time we play a new game.

I'm sorry to say this but even in a nintendo game(ssbb) he fitted better then in a game like unleashed with a guy named pickle.. i mean wtf has happened lol :haha:

Edited by Jaouad

I think he's saying that Mario Galaxy had a lot of references to past Mario games despite being a more recent title.

And it is very true; for virtually all Mario games for that matter.

Well, as I said, Sonic's attitude has him always looking out for fresh new adventure, so it makes sense for every game to feature new stuff. Mario however when not adventuring, it's a pretty normal down-to-earth guy who enjoys the simple things in life like a good meal or a game of golf.

I think the level of past-referencing can reflect a character's style just as much as the music and visuals of a game can now that I think about it to this depth.

So, because Sonic is always looking for new adventure, now the sound he makes when he jumps is different, Eggman's modus operandi is completely different, and there are precious few set pieces from the old games remaining? That's like saying the reason for Sonic walking on the ceiling in 06 is because he considers gravity passe.

So, because Sonic is always looking for new adventure, now the sound he makes when he jumps is different, Eggman's modus operandi is completely different, and there are precious few set pieces from the old games remaining? That's like saying the reason for Sonic walking on the ceiling in 06 is because he considers gravity passe.

Sonic the God. :lol:

Mario never jumps across scaffolding in order to fight a giant barrel throwing monkey.

Batman never targets people with a gun or is willing to kill his enemies anymore.

Shredder is now no longer a disgraced ninja but an alien warlord.

You're constantly citing stuff that moves away from how something started as qualitatively bad. But that as an argument doesn't work.

Edited by Razorsaw

No, I'm saying that Sonic's character isn't an explanation for them changing the stuff I listed.

Mario never jumps across scaffolding in order to fight a giant barrel throwing monkey.
He also doesn't star in games called "Donkey Kong" anymore.

Batman never targets people with a gun or is willing to kill his enemies anymore.
This makes Batman more interesting, and considering his back story (His parents were shot when he was a kid, therefor it makes sense for him to not like guns), more consistent.

Shredder is now no longer a disgraced ninja but an alien warlord.
That's a pretty dumb change to make. Why not just introduce an alien warlord rather than change Shredder like that?

You're constantly citing stuff that moves away from how something started as qualitatively bad.
I'm constantly citing replacing elements of a series with less interesting ones as bad.

That's a pretty dumb change to make. Why not just introduce an alien warlord rather than change Shredder like that?

Because it interweaves Shredder and the Foot better with the Utroms and makes a tighter plot altogether.

I'm constantly citing replacing elements of a series with less interesting ones as bad.

Jumping sound effects and Eggman putting animals in robots is not inherently interesting. Neither are set pieces.

I'm talking about sound effects in general. For the most part, the new ones could come from any game, and I think you're using a different definition of set pieces than me.

I think with regards to sound effects, it's nostalgia talking. The sound effects of the old games could have come from anything at the time too.

Besides, the ring chime is still the same, and that's one of the most iconic in the series at least.

I think with regards to sound effects, it's nostalgia talking. The sound effects of the old games could have come from anything at the time too.
First of all, no, I don't think it could have, but even if it could, it didn't.

Sure it could have. Take off the damn nostalgia glasses. XD

The sound effects in Sonic could have easily been used in any other generic animal platforming game made around that time.

Except that Hiroshi Kubota and Yukifumi Makino were working on Sonic 1, not some other game, so they literally could not have been in a different game.

E: But anyway, the newer sfx lack the character of the old ones. For example, the "perrrr!" that screeching made in the old games is a lot better than the felt-on-wood sound it makes in Unleashed (and 06, iirc).

Edited by Phos

In all fairness though, regardless of how stylised the game is, from this point on Sonic is going to be running through a realistic looking world - whether it's all bright and colourful like the older games or just a stylised version of our own world from the newer games. Unrealistic, 16-bit sound effects would really mess up that illusion. Maybe it's because I played Sonic Adventure 2 first, but when I played Sonic Adventure and Sonic made his little bloop noise whenever he jumped, I couldn't help but think "That's cool in a retro sort of way... but very silly".

E: But anyway, the newer sfx lack the character of the old ones.

Some yes, some no. Said screeching and the grinding noise from the spin dash (were it present) fit Sonic's associated speed, but the old jumping sfx sounds more artificial than the newer ones.

What can I say that has not already been said? Sonic Team does not forget their beginnings, and do hearken back to them from time to time. For the most part, though, things seem to have entered a new dimension. This is powerful evidence that the last classic Sonic game was Sonic Adventure, and the first modern game was Sonic Adventure 2. The transition is easy enough to see: the start of the "A/S Rank" era.

In all fairness though, regardless of how stylised the game is, from this point on Sonic is going to be running through a realistic looking world -
Stopped reading

Some yes, some no. Said screeching and the grinding noise from the spin dash (were it present) fit Sonic's associated speed, but the old jumping sfx sounds more artificial than the newer ones.

Well, obviously, they were made from square waves. And plus, there's no way the new jumping effect would fit with the others.

Stopped reading

Maybe you should have read on.

whether it's all bright and colourful like the older games or just a stylised version of our own world from the newer games.

Well, obviously, they were made from square waves. And plus, there's no way the new jumping effect would fit with the others.

I meant more improved versions of the old sounds. I do want the rev and screech sounds, but not in low res.

Maybe you should have read on.

Sooooo... if it's like the old games, then where's the problem? And sorry if my previous reply was in poor taste.

I meant more improved versions of the old sounds. I do want the rev and screech sounds, but not in low res.

They still have the pre-compressed sound effects. Hear them here.