Awoo.

References to the classics

batson

They still have the pre-compressed sound effects. Hear them here.

It just doesn't seem to fit in a modern, well rendered game.

Edited by SuperStingray

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• SuperStingray

• batson

• JezMM

The sounds that NiGHTS makes during the trailer don't sound right there, but sound just fine in the game. Similarly, Sonic uses the homing attack in a couple of cut scenes in Sonic Unleashed, but they don't use the sound effect for it. A stronger sound effect can help ensure that a game feels responsive, but sounds out of place in a cut scene. Keep in mind the sound effects that Sonic had in Brawl.

As far as sound effects, I found the Drift sound effect was quite equal to a revamp of the old "screech" sound effect, and the Boost sound effect was a good revamp of the Spin Dash/Rev sound effect, which makes sense; the older rev was basically just supposed to emulate a jet engine of sorts...I dunno, maybe that's just me. :/

Keep in mind the sound effects that Sonic had in Brawl.

The reving and spring were great in Brawl because they were improved sound effects based on classic origin. The jumping and skidding, however, were a bit too retroish.

Even if my first game was Sonic 1, I really don't mind the lack of references in the newer games. Honestly, it doesn't feel like there is a lack. Sometimes you've just got to look carefully, and when you do finally notice those little references, it makes you smile with pride that you actually recognized them. I'd rather Sega work on making a good game than finding places that a classic game reference could be made.

Edited by Alejandra Fox

The jumping and screeching were perfect.

They sounded like they were fresh of the Genesis to me. No editing, no improvement. Just that. It was good in the 16-bit days, but here's the thing: We are now over a hundred bits beyond that. The sounds should stay but the quality must improve.

Edited by SuperStingray

Good point SuperStingray. I mean I don't mind the sounds as long as the ring sound is there I can identify with the game. It would be nice if other sound effects improved a bit.

See I'm fine with a midway point like we seem to be discussing now of halfway between classic and modern in terms of sound effects. But the ones which are literally bleeps and bloops and do not even vaguely sound like the noise his movement would realistically make, would sound out of place.

I did like the classic sounds in Brawl, and thought they worked, but dare I say it, I think that's simply because I was controlling Sonic in a 2D space, let alone one filled with crazy characters all hitting each other with hammers and fireballs and such.

Despite me not being a classic fan, I did enjoy the visual design of Sonic CD. I wouldn't mind seeing references. I just wouldn't like references that are kiddy and out of place like that jump sound effect you guys are talking about. When I played sonic dx, it just sounded too strange.

I think each level should cosist of realism and fantasy-inspired qualities. A perfect example of this is the level Dry Lagoon in sa2. The textures on the walls and pillars are so incredibly detailed and realistic, while the rest of the level has an unrealistic beauty to it with the lighting and art design.

Levels like Iron Jungle in shadow the hedgehog, are too drab and realistic. Levels don't have to reference classics, as long as they look cool and have imagination put into them.

Even if my first game was Sonic 1, I really don't mind the lack of references in the newer games. Honestly, it doesn't feel like there is a lack. Sometimes you've just got to look carefully, and when you do finally notice those little references, it makes you smile with pride that you actually recognized them. I'd rather Sega work on making a good game than finding places that a classic game reference could be made.

That's very true. I like it when the references aren't just thrown in your face, or at least when they are, make 'em subtle =/

Despite me not being a classic fan

W...what did you just say? ....WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY!?

Nah, im just being phunny. :P

But seriously, you're not a fan of the classics? How come? I mean, that's just kinda strange, considering they are objectively 100% perfect in every imaginable way and im sure Jesus himself considers them man kinds greatest creation.

They sounded like they were fresh of the Genesis to me. No editing, no improvement. Just that. It was good in the 16-bit days, but here's the thing: We are now over a hundred bits beyond that. The sounds should stay but the quality must improve.

Both sound effects were new.

Either way, it's a lot better than what was in Sonic Unleashed. Jason's thunder cats impression wore on me quickly.

Both sound effects were new.

Maybe they were, but they didn't sound it to me.

Edited by SuperStingray

Nah, im just being phunny. :P

But seriously, you're not a fan of the classics? How come? I mean, that's just kinda strange, considering they are objectively 100% perfect in every imaginable way and im sure Jesus himself considers them man kinds greatest creation.

Tis' opinion. If you can say the classic games are 100% perfect I will say that Zero Gravity is 100% perfect.

im sure Jesus himself considers them man kinds greatest creation.

I thought man's greatest creation was donuts. Black Knight said so.

they are objectively 100% perfect in every imaginable way and im sure Jesus himself considers them man kinds greatest creation.
Just to make sure. Were you being sarcastic right there?

Just to make sure. Were you being sarcastic right there?

Yes, that was intended to come of as sarcasm, but truth to be told... Well, let's just say that if i was given the honor of giving out the official prize for "Most utterly flawless game of all time", it wouldn't so much be a contest between all of the worlds video games as one between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

oh, alright.

Well, I think the classics were impressive for their time for the genisis's capabilities. I just don't find them amazing or anything, considering I first played them on mega collection plus. In all honesty, I can play sonic 1, 2, and 3 for about 10-15 minutes, then get bored. I don't know why, but sonic cd on gems collection is another story. I actually really like that game. The level design felt less cheaper and more enjoyable to me. The graphics and backgrounds were extremely detailed. The music didn't get annoying, and really felt atmoshperic and calm to me. Great save and time attack feature. And the special stages impressed me.

oh, alright.

Well, I think the classics were impressive for their time for the genisis's capabilities. I just don't find them amazing or anything, considering I first played them on mega collection plus. In all honesty, I can play sonic 1, 2, and 3 for about 10-15 minutes, then get bored. I don't know why, but sonic cd on gems collection is another story. I actually really like that game. The level design felt less cheaper and more enjoyable to me. The graphics and backgrounds were extremely detailed. The music didn't get annoying, and really felt atmoshperic and calm to me. Great save and time attack feature. And the special stages impressed me.

Really? For me it's the opposite; i find the level designs in Sonic 2, 3 and S&K (not so much Sonic 1) to be, as i said earlier, pretty much flawless. Running through a level in those game just feels so...how do i put this... smooth. It's like, if you are only quick enough to react in time to avoid all the obstacles and and defeat all the enemies without screwing up, it's like the level just flows, like you are being carried by an invisible stream throughout the level.

Sonic CD on the other hand, although i absolutely love that game to, just feels much clunkier to me. You run into so many dead ends all the time, and sometimes it's harder than it should be to just find the way to the goal. It's a very good platformer, but it just doesn't have the same feeling to it as the Mega Drive games.

But, as we say here in Sweden "preferences are like asses; split". :P

But, as we say here in Sweden "preferences are like asses; split". :P

I have a sudden urge to visit Sweden.