Awoo.

ARTWORK: StivStuff.

The Stiv™

Thought I'd better open one. This forum seems to have more serious artists than most forums I frequent so I figure it'd be a good bet for some critique.

I've put most of this around before but anything you can critique is good. I'll stick some random bits and pieces first but what I really want advice/opinions on are the comic pages. Obviously there's nothing I can do about them now they're finished but I'm always looking for tips for the future.

Sonic082.jpg

Werehog08.jpg

HiddenPalace.jpg

Werehog09.jpg

Deadpool09.jpg

COMICS:

1L.jpg

7L.jpg

Page%2021.jpg

Page%2022.jpg

Page%2023.jpg

Page%2026.jpg

Not putting up the really bad ones, these are probably my best work so if I can improve on these, it'd be very good for me.

Edited by The Stiv™
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

I love your art Stiv, you can do some really great action poses and positions which is always a good thing, I guess the comics help in that regard!

The main problem I see is that sometimes the characters feel a bit off model in those positions or a bit rigid and stiff in some cases ( this is more common in the background characters mind). Panel 3 on the 3rd page (the mini badnik bustup with Tails, the awesome gorilla and other mobians) is a really good panel where you made it work not only for the main character but the background characters too. though the panel directly underneath is great - except for the dog guy in shock. The pose just looks awkward, the "take" pose only works in really catoony situations with the bug eyes and exaggeration which I think is sort of what you were going for but it doesn't quite translate. I get he's shocked from the expression but I suspect he would be putting his body to more use at that point like running away from the big scorpion bot ;P

Sometimes your background characters can also be a touch on the basic side, which is understandable if they are background but if you give them a whole panel then those characters deserve a little more design. Your badniks and backgrounds are top notch for the most part. Give the citizens a little love too <3

Thanks for the crit, Jenny. I know what you mean with the background characters. It's funny how you can tell the difference between most background characters and the ones on that certain panel you mentioned. I actually spent a fair bit of time drawing the background characters, whereas I usually end up throwing them in because my deadline's nearly up =P.

I have a problem keeping characters on-model, too. It's a shame because I have no idea how to improve in that respect. I shall, however, keep trying. I'm working on plenty of comics so I'll have lots of practice.

Couple of STCO sketches, just some quick practice for upcoming stuff:

sketchbook.jpgchuck.jpg

mighty.jpgjetattack.jpg

omni1.jpgomni2.jpg

It's probably obvious, what with where this artwork goes, but what I love most about it is that it really does carry on the artistic feel of the Fleetway comics.

Love it, love it all.

• 1 month later...

Thanks. To be honest, I probably send them in too late. This was postmarked on the 20th of August like they wanted but it probably didn't reach them until a week later.

Thanks. To be honest, I probably send them in too late. This was postmarked on the 20th of August like they wanted but it probably didn't reach them until a week later.

Is the new issue out then? I assume I didn't place eather then? Ah well, we gave it our best shots! Thanks for the encouragement all the same (maybe I'll buy you a pint next SoS) ;P

It was out yesterday, yeah. chaoscontrol14 posted up a recap and the contest winners here:

• 3 months later...

Some late uploads. Some Sega costume swaps from Hallowe'en:

SonicRistarS.jpg

ShadowVirtuaCopS.jpg

Edited by The Stiv™

• 11 months later...

Sonic and Knuckles inking mess:

RivalsSmall.jpg

Larger version for details: http://stivco.com/so...RivalsLarge.jpg

(Winning) Entry for the Sonic Snap competition.

Varying layers of acetate and card, some coloured, light shone through it to make a silhouettey image:

Sonic%20Snap.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%201.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%202.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%203.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%204.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%205.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%206.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%207.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%208.jpg

Sonic%20Snap%209.jpg

8 and 9 look a bit blurry because they're projected onto the ceiling tongue.png

Bigger versions are in this folder: http://stivco.com/sonic/Sonic%20Snap/