Awoo.

Intended Venue For Summer of Sonic 2010 Revealed

Dreadknux

I'm likely to need somewhere to park this year, like last year.

Thankfully, Google Street View helped me find a surface car-park that served me well.

Anyone, know about parking nearby?

If people are still looking for places to stay, head over to the Summer of Sonic blog to see our recommendations for nice, affordable beds during your visit to London!

Summer of Sonic blog

T

Thanks for posting this one up T, it's helped me out a ton! I'll be staying at the Grantly across the road myself since I don't fancy loads of train rides, just the one thanks. Booking shall commence on my next payday...if there's rooms left, which I'm sure there will be. unsure.gif

I've booked a cheap-ish place near Victoria Station called the Wigram House, £34 per night for a single with a shared bathroom. It's not too far from the SoS venue on the tube, plus it means I can get the MegaBus down. I hate the idea of going overnight, but doing it the day before and after, rather than on the day itself is fine with me, and much cheaper than getting the train!

Victoria is pretty central too, so not too bad overall.

The St Christopher's Inns look good. Very cheap and not to far, just abed to rest my head (The same as what I did for VGL). Probably end up getting one of those. I get paid tomorrow so I'll book it soon.

Just booked a £10 Funfare with National Express coaches if anyone is thinking of getting the coach from Up Norf; cheaper than MegaBus!

Ohhh I like the look of the venue! =O It's going to be huge. Awesome sauce~

Me and my boyfriend are staying at Travelodge Tower Bridge. It's going to cost us about £224 for 3 nights (1 extra day to explore London and maybe go see a musical together <3). Why so far away from the venue you may wonder? We stayed here during May half term on our trip to London, and we though it was great! It's in a safe area, comfortable, clean, staff were friendly and you can get cheap breakfast and meals at a nearby Wetherspoons! =D The Underground is only about 5 minute walk away too. Of course it is gonna take us a while to get to Shepherd's Bush (about 40 minutes on the Tube), but my boyfriend is determined to stay at a hotel we're familiar with. Bless. I totally agree. X3

Edited by Holland

After watching the video, the venue does look awesome. I really like the amount of space it has inside.

Anyway, I'll be staying at the Cranley Gardens in South Kensington. So if anyone was staying there or near that area and wanted to meet for breakfast or do a group walk to SoS and have a little chat along the way, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

Edited by Kevin

I booked myself and Mena in at the Grantly. We're going to mingle with the Sonic crowd, and it only makes sense to stay with the majority of them too XD

Nah, but seriously, we didn't want to travel very far after the inevitable after-party, especially if she's a little bit worse for wear. Me? I'll be fine, I don't drink.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I know a few of you here - anyone that I know like, at all, can shack up at my place the night before if need be. I live in London, so it'll just be a train journey in the morning to go in.

I live near Southgate station, so it's just a 50 minute tube trip there.

This invite goes out to anyone who I know at all, again, and if I don't know you, get to know me and the offer stands.

Also, if anyone needs to help with travelling around London or anything else, let me know. I've been in the city for a long time, both living, working, interviewing, everything.

Myself and SKai5er did a little trial run down to the venue yesterday, seeing as the night before we're elsewhere and need to get travelling fairly early on the Saturday morning in order to make it on time and we didn't want there to be a load of fuss trying to figure out where to go etc on the day.

We were both surprised at how easy it was to find the venue - only a couple of minutes to walk from the Shepherds Bush central line station and literally just round the corner from the Sherpherds Bush Market station. No problems whatsoever. We couldn't get into the venue itself for obvious reasons (namely: it was shut) but from the outside it certainly looked big enough to hold a rather epic SoS 2010 event. Can't wait to see what surprises will await us inside on the day.

Any antics in the queue will likely attract a lot more public attention this time around though, seeing as it's opposite a busy road and a park/green area. :P

Err, quick question;

It's less than a month until the event now, and maybe I've just missed it, but nothing seems to have been done about registration yet? I could have sworn we could register much further in advance in previous years. D:

Err, quick question;

It's less than a month until the event now, and maybe I've just missed it, but nothing seems to have been done about registration yet? I could have sworn we could register much further in advance in previous years. D:

Registration was available earlier in previous years and we apologize for the delay but we're still waiting for terms and conditions to go through unfortunately.

I was also wondering what was going on in terms of pre-registration due to it not being up yet, but thanks for the clear up, Shadzter.

Quick question from me, though, if for some reason I don't make the pre-registration ticket, is there any priority given to those coming overseas vs those coming locally in terms of registering the day of, or is it on a first come, first serve basis?

Edited by Kevin

is there any priority given to those coming overseas vs those coming locally in terms of registering the day of, or is it on a first come, first serve basis?

Despite not being able to attend this year and despite not being a Staff member of the event, I'm somehow convinced that the Staff wouldn't want to be labelled as Nazis by tons of people from around the world... Especially in this day and age. ;)

Despite not being able to attend this year and despite not being a Staff member of the event, I'm somehow convinced that the Staff wouldn't want to be labelled as Nazis by tons of people from around the world... Especially in this day and age. ;)

Fair enough. I was just curious anyway.

I wouldn't worry about not making pre-registration yet, AAUK's going to be doing his best at work today to get these Terms and Conditions sorted out with the powers that be so we'll hopefully have tickets available by the end of the week.

Regarding registrations - we're turning something that looks like the final corner on this one, so please hang in there! Not long to wait now. We apologise for the wait, but because of the venue change and various other legal matters, the whole Terms and Conditions thing has been delayed.

About on-the-day queuing; it's very likely that it will be on the first come, first served basis. Without registering your details, there's just no way that we'd be able to tell who's came from afar and who hasn't, lest we organise two lines, or have a guy running up and down the queue all day asking where people have come from, and that's a bit silly. Besides, last year we managed to get a record 300-odd people into Truman Brewery within 30 minutes of SoS09 opening, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing the day whilst in line. ;)

Any word on start and finish times? I understand it'll be rough estimates.

10am approximate start time? Blimey. That means I'll definitely be late. Don't think I can get there until about 11:00-11:30 at the earliest, unless I leave stupidly early in the morning. And seeing as I'm at a wedding the night before, I think I'll be wanting a bit of a lay in :P

Oh well. As long as there's some freebies left when I arrive then it's all good.

Hope everyone who does get there for opening time enjoys the first hour or so. I'll be envious, I will! Just don't go putting Crush 40 on first thing, m'kay? I wanna see those guys, dammit! :D

Crush 40 performance will be right at the very end, don't worry (;

2 questions regarding the venue:

1. When I arrive at the venue on the day of, where exactly where I need to go in terms of getting in line since they talked about letting in pre-registered people first, and then walk-in's an hour later. Are there going to be marked separate lines for pre-reg vs walk-in's?

2. Does the venue have water fountains there? If not, I can easily run to the pub next door and grab a quick drink if that's ok.

2 questions regarding the venue:

1. When I arrive at the venue on the day of, where exactly where I need to go in terms of getting in line since they talked about letting in pre-registered people first, and then walk-in's an hour later. Are there going to be marked separate lines for pre-reg vs walk-in's?

2. Does the venue have water fountains there? If not, I can easily run to the pub next door and grab a quick drink if that's ok.

1: I'd expect there to be a single queue leading into the main entrance, followed by a split into two or more queues for ticket checks. I don't expect these queues to be segregated between the two types, though I may be wrong. If you're coming in after 11, the main benefit (apart from the goodies and stuff) is being able to get your ticket checked and walk straight in.

Last year from what I'm told, we got an average of 10 ticket-holders through the door per minute using what I believe was one entrance. The queue at that point was something like 300 people long, so there was indeed a half hour wait for a few people after opening. We (well, the security team) should definitely be improving that with the improved entrance facilities. As the majority of visitors will be ticket-holders, I don't expect there to be much of an issue.

2: As far as I know there are no water fountains... not counting Dazz's suggestion of using the (really quite snazzy if I do say so myself) facilities. However, Pavilion staff will be selling refreshments between the ticketing area and the main floor. (praise be to AAUK)

Edited by bmn
bmn is out of the loop

Pavilion staff will be selling refreshments between the ticketing area and the main floor.

They will?