Awoo.

Nippon Ichi!

Sean

Rather than spend some time working on my essay which is due tomorrow, I feel like ressurecting discussion on these overall brilliant games.

Nippon Ichi's games are typically tactical RPGs - you move your characters around maps, giving them instructions for battle, and executing them all at your own pace. There are warriors built for close-combat, magicians made for casting spells, clerics for healing, archers for bows and guns, blah blah blah. A trademark of several of these games is the opportunity to build your own generic characters rather than having to wait for a new party member to show up (and in the case of Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom, generic characters are going to be your only source of party until you unlock the post-game secret characters). You can level up your characters, skills, weapons, and weapon proficiency - the maximum level skill for characters is 9999, though you generally only need to be around level 80 to beat any of the final bosses. The Disgaea series has a grid-based battle system, while the Phantom games feature free-roaming movement. Aside from enough differences to set each game directly apart from one another, they're generally pretty easy to pick up once you've exposed yourself to one of these titles already.

I'll start with the most popular series of NIS's library: Disgaea: Hour of Darkness tells the story of demon prince Laharl, who awakens from his two-year slumber to find the Netherworld in chaos. With his father dead, he takes it upon himself to become the rightful Overlord... but first, he has to deal with vassals who betray him at every corner, galactic space heroes, and renegade angels. Among his crew are his "faithful" servant Etna (one of the most popular NIS characters, making more prominent appearances in other games than Laharl) and ditzy love freak otaku Flonne.

At this point, it's pretty clear that this is not your average JRPG story. You play as the villain who sets out to conquer anything and everything. The series is riddled with parodies of anime, science fiction, and RPGs, performing them with pure affection. Despite the game taking place in the demon world, it's much more whimsical and cuckoo than it is dark or gritty. At the same time, in its core, Disgaea has an emotionally riveting story... but to reveal all of that will ruin the surprise.

Unfortunately, all of this wonderful sense of storytelling was lost in Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories. Gone are the obvious parodies and charming humor that set Disgaea apart from other RPGs - Disgaea 2 features a generic shonen action hero as its main lead, a generic pampered princess as his love interest, a heap of boring scrappy characters, and an annoyingly tyical Mr. EvilBadGuy who's really not all that interesting or has any real motive whatsoever. Most of these characters really don't have much of a sense of humor themselves, and they all typically react in "annoyed straight man" fashion whenever something weird is going on. Whereas in the original game, weirdness was a trademark in a world where nobody would look at someone strangely for being a talking book. The series' trademark humor may still be there somewhat, but you pretty much have to search it out for yourself - the main storyline takes itself too seriously for its own good, and overall, the sequel really doesn't have any of the first game's heart.

While it originally turned out to be something of a sleeper hit, a lot of gamers are pretty familiar with the Disgaea series in one way or another by now. The first two games were released on the PS2 and subsequently the PSP (the first game got a DS makeover... which sucked), while the third installment was built on the PS3. As far as I'm aware, Disgaea is the only game released by NIS that received direct sequels, aside from the Marl Kingdom series.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• Ryusuke

• Viku

• Blue Kirby

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of Nippon Ichi, they are releasing the Wii version of Phantom Brave in June. They sent a news letter to subscribers about it a few weeks back.

So I've heard! I already have the PS2 version (and I lack a Wii), but I'm pretty interested in Walnut, Raphael, and Sprout becoming playable phantoms, so I've been keeping a sharp eye on any updates that surface. One of the things I was quite disappointed with in Phantom Brave was the inability to recruit any story characters. I also hope they manage to squeeze some more cameo appearances as well; having Zetta's human form would be a lovely addition, though seeing as how he only appears outside of Makai Kingdom in his Sacred Tome form, I doubt it...

Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days for the PSP was just rated by the ESRB, but no official announcements have been made by NIS America yet.

I've taken a break from grinding characters in Disgaea 1 PSP to play Prinny.

NIS is one of my favorite RPG companies. I love the Disgaea series, but I haven't played anything else from them. I have Disgaea 1 on my PSP and Disgaea 2 on my PS2, and my favorite is Disgaea 2 (one of the reasons is because it introduces Adell, my favorite character in the series). Both are excellent games, but I CANNOT stand the English voice acting, all the voices are annoying and unfitting and make my ears want to bleed. So I just mute the TV or change the spoken language to Japanese.

I haven't played other Nippon Ichi games yet (I want...but I can't find them anywhere cause ther are so old), but I simply LOVE THE DISGAEA SERIES

The franchise have an incredible good characters and the story and dialogue can be epic, deep and extremly hilarious.

Seriously, who the hell came with the idea of a demonic penguin with bat wings that says "dood" at the end of a sentence and explodes when thrown?

and unike some other people, I like the english voice actors MORE than the japanese ones. Example, Adel's jap. voice is too serious and deep...I just don't like it.

The last Disgaea game I have played is "Prinny: Can I Really be the Hero?" for PSP (I don't have a PSP, but a friend does). They made a great game even if it's a dferent genre....It's incredibly addicting and silly XD

More people are familiar with the Disgaea series than most other games by NIS. Anybody who enjoys Disgaea's gameplay system might like Makai Kingdom, which opts for a free-movement system over grid-based maps, and frankly, I prefer it that way (Phantom Brave used a similar system, but it has its share of turn-offs...). The game is pretty unpolished around the edges, though. It does, however, actually have a sense of humor, though it's somewhat different from Disgaea's, since it doesn't actually parody RPG or anime clich

Edited by Jake

and my favorite is Disgaea 2 (one of the reasons is because it introduces Adell, my favorite character in the series). Both are excellent games, but I CANNOT stand the English voice acting, all the voices are annoying and unfitting and make my ears want to bleed.
Disgaea 2's characters are annoying in every language, no VA could make those assholes likable.

Disgaea 1 on the other hand is voiced awesomely, and Makai Kingdom has Crispin Freeman so I guess it has to be awesome....

Disgaea 2's characters are annoying in every language, no VA could make those assholes likable.

Disgaea 1 on the other hand is voiced awesomely, and Makai Kingdom has Crispin Freeman so I guess it has to be awesome....

I find the VA of the three Disgaeas very good. some bad voices there and there, but passable. Still, the personalities of the characters go good with both english and japanese voices...and that's goo to me =D

I so wanna get makai kingdom...but since is a really old PS2 game I can't find it in any store D=

Nippon Ichi = Win.

Seriously, I tried Disgaea a few weeks ago(Both the PS2 and PSP versions), and fell in love with it.

I so wanna get makai kingdom...but since is a really old PS2 game I can't find it in any store D=

I got mine off Amazon a few weeks ago. It's only $20, last I checked. Quite worth it at that price.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow No one seems to know the the Smash Bros for Nippon Ichi, Gust, Namco Bandai, CAPCOM, and idea Factory is coming out soon Called Cross edge (or X edge)

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/965/965697p1.html

I hope to get it for the ps3 somtime after i actually get one.

It seems that Darkstalkers will be appearing as well as Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, Atelier Marie and Spectral Souls. Sofar onr 1 character from each of the above mentioned series has been confirmed: Etna (Disgaea), Morrigan(DarkStalkers), Aurica (Ar Tonelico), Marie (Atelier Marie), Mau (SSpectral Souls)

It also appears to Be coming State Side:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/940/940250p1.html

I'm not particularly interested it, especially since I don't have a PS3 and Etna isn't exactly a favorite of mine (I'd rather take Laharl and Flonne). In fact, considering the nature of that game, I am absolutely shocked that Flonne wasn't paired up with Etna in it.

I've been playing Prinny in between Disgaea and Lunar sessions ever since I bought it Friday. Its actually quite a lot of fun. Its Nintendo Hard for sure, but its still has that special something that Disgaea: AoD has.

Has there been an announced U.S. release date for the PSP version of Disgaea 2?

Edited by Tornado

Not yet. Rumors are abound that it's going to be called Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days, in light of the newly-added Akutare Mode.

Edited by Jake

And i heard Mao, Raspberyl and Mr.Champloo could make a cameo there. It would be great, but needs moar Almaz :___(.

in light of the newly-added Akutare Mode.

OMG AWESOME

--------------------

I also can´t wait to Phantom Brave Wii...is a remake isn´t it?

Too many NI games to buy @____@

Edited by Blue Kirby

Almaz? Almaz!? Pft. Needs more Ash, that's what.

Unfortunately, Ash is apparently on Nippon Ichi's hate list. I actually have a theory behind this, being that Ash doesn't fit into the typical N1 character archetype, and that N1 feels that Ash is too boring for a comeback (which is NOT TRUE). This is all just speculation on my part, though. At this point, I've virtually accepted that he's never going to appear in another game. Ever.

Edited by Jake

Nippon Ichi is mean to me!!!!

I know about the Phantom Brave remake but... Every good game they make after Soul Nomad has been out of my reach... I really want to play Disgaea 3 but that isn't happening anytime soon... And the prinny game looks to be good... But all they have really given me was a couple of remakes... Blarg! I need new technology!

Edited by Zombie Wei

Crispin Freeman was hilarious as Zetta. Couldn't stop laughing at Yuri Lowenthal's Gig (Soul Nomad). ...seriously. XDD; Don't get me started at Chris Smith's (or Daran Norris') Mr. Champloo. BOOM! Speaking of, Disgaea 3 had an awesome cast. Vic Mignogna really surprised me. o_o

"IT'S THE EPITOME OF EGGINESS!!!" XD

Wow No one seems to know the the Smash Bros for Nippon Ichi, Gust, Namco Bandai, CAPCOM, and idea Factory is coming out soon Called Cross edge (or X edge)

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/965/965697p1.html

I hope to get it for the ps3 somtime after i actually get one.

It seems that Darkstalkers will be appearing as well as Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, Atelier Marie and Spectral Souls. Sofar onr 1 character from each of the above mentioned series has been confirmed: Etna (Disgaea), Morrigan(DarkStalkers), Aurica (Ar Tonelico), Marie (Atelier Marie), Mau (SSpectral Souls)

It also appears to Be coming State Side:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/940/940250p1.html

A most wonderful surpise.

I never thought Etna and Morrigan would be in the same game together. :blink:

Crispin Freeman was hilarious as Zetta.

Hell yeah. Crispin Freeman rules.

Vic Mignogna really surprised me. o_o

OOOUUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH.

Only two good roles I've heard by him were Ed and Junpei. Though I haven't heard him as Mao, but then again, I don't really care about Disgaea 3 due to not being able to play it. Still, when I first heard that Vic was Mao, I was kinda wtf.

Edited by Jake