Awoo.

Family Guy

Cortez

Family Guy is just like an abusive relationship. You know it's bad but you still come back for more...

Sure, the cutaway gags are funy, but that's the thing...ONLY THE CUTAWAY GAGS ARE GOOD. There's hardly any situation happening in the plot that actually becoems funny (except with a few exceptions, but still...). Not counting that the characters have become more and more jerkasses as the seasons go on. i mean, sure Meg was the butt monkey in the past, but at the first seasons her family at least have SOME love to her. Nowq everything involving her has become "make fun of her because she sucks". Brian become Seth's icon to shove his believes down our troath (which is common with shows, but he does it WAY TOO MUCH), and Peter well....Pete just became a douche. At least in the old season you could see he at least cared for his family as a whole, now it seems the only family member he can get heartwarming too is Loise (and even with ehr is starting to decay).

American dad is also good, but I dunno...it stil tried to "be like family guy". Roger is awesome though...

You know what I noticed? Al of Family Guy's morale went to the Cleaveland Show. You can see that at least that shows try to make the characters care for eachother and dosen't try to bring up a cutaway gag every five seconds. I say people understimate this show a lot probably because they were actually expecting another Family guy knock-off (for starters, the family structure of both FG and AD is still intact: Dumb but lovable father, hot mom, stupid son, angry indiferent daughter, small characters and talking non-human). It sure has it moments....

I bring back something I said at the simpsons thread. Is there a fox show that I really believe to be above all of these is Futurama. The characters are developed, the sotries are on-shot but at the same time try to fit in one "universe", and the humor is stil there. Also, is one of the few animated shows of that kind that can perfectly add drama or even tearjerking moments while still leaving space for comedy...

That clip is new to me and just reminded me why I like Family Guy and find it hilarious.

I'm a reference whore. :3

*shrug*

I actually enjoy The Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, Futurama and South Park (especially South Park) but I get something different out of each show.

That clip is new to me and just reminded me why I like Family Guy and find it hilarious.

That clip wasn't from Family Guy, it was from Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy, an Internet clip show. Basically the funny bits of Family Guy without the poor plot inbetween. Which makes it pretty much Robot Chicken, which is ironic since Seth obviously HATES that show.

That clip wasn't from Family Guy, it was from Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy, an Internet clip show. Basically the funny bits of Family Guy without the poor plot inbetween. Which makes it pretty much Robot Chicken, which is ironic since Seth obviously HATES that show.

Even though the creator of the show works with them as one of the main characters. :P

Which makes it pretty much Robot Chicken, which is ironic since Seth obviously HATES that show.

I wonder how Seth Green can get along w/him then...

I realised that after I posted but I decided not to edit my post because my point stands regardless.

It's also a tad worrying that I completely bought that it was a clip from Family Guy which kinda proves everyone else's points about interchangeable gags...

I personally find Family Guy to be pretty funny. However, there's two main weaknesses to it. The first being is that the humor completely relies on the cutaway gags. While I do find them funny, it just seems that if there were no cutaways at all, the show wouldn't be as funny.

The second weakness is Seth constantly putting his beliefs into the show. It just get really annoying having to constantly hear his viewpoints through the show when I could could care less what he believes and don't need to have it shoved down my throat every few seconds.

The jokes themselves do make me laugh from time to time though, although some of them do go a bit over the top in my opinion. Personally. I think the best episodes are the ones with Stewie and Brian starring since them together never fail to make me laugh. Peter' is another one of my favorites as well since his stupidity is just hilarious.

That's not to say EVERYTHING Seth MacFarlane creates is terrible, Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy is quite good, but then its basically just a series of Family Guy flashbacks without the Family Guy part.

Don't even get me started on the Cavalcade of Comedy. Sure, there's a few diamonds in the dust, but when it's crap it's crap.

I think the main reason why Family Guy got so bad after such a good start is because it just got a bit over exaggerated. Peter started as a dim but caring father, and became a mentally challenged dangerous individual who shows total disregard for his family and an intense hatred of his daughter. Brian was the voice of reason who has a slight alcohol problem, now he's a drunk atheist who is really into bestiality for some reason.

It just goes on, and on, and has characters who were enjoyable because they had flaws but were still understandable and easy to relate to. Now they're nothing but flaws, with little to no humanity left in them.

• Thumbs Up 2

These posts are making me want to watch the old episodes again, I remember them being so good. Maybe it was just because I was younger, but I fondly remember them being legitimately funny with at the very least, somewhat well written plots and enjoyable characters. The cutaway jokes were funny, and it never tried to be too edgy or anything when it didn't need to be. Not to mention for the most part, episodes actually had, like, stories.

"YOU THINK THAT'S BAD? REMEMBER THE TIME I SANG LA CUCARACHA TO PAUL MCCARTNEY?"

Urgh. Family Guy...

I've never really watched a full episode, hell I've never watched a full season. But I have seen a couple of clips and whilst some have made me LOL, others just make me go "Er...'kay." O_o I'm still not really sure I want to watch this. I love Robot Chicken, South Park (<3), Futurama and the Simpsons but this just looks really stupid. >_>

So yeah, some of these cutaway jokes are quite funny, but alot of them are related to shiz from the 1970's or 1980's, sometimes even older! How the hell am I gonna know about those?? I don't want to do research to understand a joke! South Park does pop culture references alot better IMHO. And the characters are NOT appealing whatsoever. They sound like douchebags, every one of them. No real plot to an episode turns me off too. I don't want to watch a bunch of cutaway "Remember the time I..." crap. =/

Maybe I should give the seasons before the revival a try though, since almost everyone (even on Youtube XD) says those were the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRE0jYaOlzg

^ THIS.

Edited by Holland

I used to like Family Guy. It was really funny in its earlier seasons. Then Peter Griffin began to change into a fat, retarded, racist, prejudiced jerk. You just want to kill him and burn his ashes.

Also the chicken. For god sakes, stop hyping him up! I am sick of him turning up and fighting Peter over a bloody fucking coupon!!! Also, Family Guy keep bragging it's the longest fight in TV history. Ever heard of Goku v Frieza?

Apart from these it can be funny at times. I hate some of the jokes (Prom night dumpster baby) but I laugh at some others (Normally Star Wars humour). Though some jokes can take forever and drag on.

As for Seth's hate of Robot chicken, at the end of every Star Wars Special, Chris and Peter seem to fight about it.

As for Seth's hate of Robot chicken, at the end of every Star Wars Special, Chris and Peter seem to fight about it.

For the basic topic, everything I think has been said, I rather not care too much for Family Guy, there are funny bits but lots of the funny is smothered in the unfunny.

However, the Robot Chicken fights are an obvious in-joke since the person who voices Chris is the creator of Robot Chicken which is supposed to be the reason why they fight about it.

Robot chicken is like fmaily guy's throwaway gags taken to their logical conclusion, and done right if you ask me, as it's not pretending to have a plot.

I think a lot of the episodes in Family Guy are just brilliant. Some of my favorites are the one where Megan falls in love with Brian, or the one where Stewie meets his future self... in fact, a lot of the older episodes are classic in my opinion.

But a good handful of episodes just fall flat on their ass. Especially some of the newer ones. I mean, I hardly laughed once in the episode where Quagmire's father got a sex-change. It just wasn't funny; the only funny part was at the end, but I won't spoil that.

Case-in-point, it's a very hit-or-miss show, and I can't even explain why. I like it, but it's all over the place, and I think Robot Chicken, as someone else said, does the "pop-culture reference jokes/skit" concept so much better. Since it does not have a plot, it can focus the entirety of its program on pretty much the funniest stuff. Though, still, Family Guy does have a lot of humor from its characters, but its still overshadowed by the "remembah da time when...".

Edited by EXshad

I think the main reason why Family Guy got so bad after such a good start is because it just got a bit over exaggerated. Peter started as a dim but caring father, and became a mentally challenged dangerous individual who shows total disregard for his family and an intense hatred of his daughter. Brian was the voice of reason who has a slight alcohol problem, now he's a drunk atheist who is really into bestiality for some reason.

It just goes on, and on, and has characters who were enjoyable because they had flaws but were still understandable and easy to relate to. Now they're nothing but flaws, with little to no humanity left in them.

It's like the Evangelion of western cartoons :o

Since we are talking about Family Guy(which I do hate), lets cut away specifically to the Cleveland Show. I AM NOT AMUSED! Seth making a black Family Guy just shows that you actually believe just because you replace every character with black characters, give them stereotypically black character roles, and try to pass off the fact that most black people shows are like this does not make it any less offensive. This show runs on the idea that since its black people acting ignorant and ghetto, its okay and its funny. HahahahahahaFuck you. The Ike Turner joke is old. Yes, we know that black people don't like to learn. Yes, we get black people don't like the police. The Boondocks shits on this debacle. Hell, the PJs shits on this steaming pile of feces. Matter of fact, put a black man in a dress and we have atleast an iota of entertainment that the Cleveland Show will never produce. You know what. I'll take this to a whole nother level and say the Family Guy should just retire and look at frest material on Adult Swim 2 hours after their hour and a half shit airs on Sundays.

• Thumbs Up 1

The pre-revival seasons of Family Guy are some of the funniest and (oddly enough) most clever things on TV

I agree with this, it was clever, funny as hell and somewhat original.

All I see now in Family Guy is a bunch of highly offensive jokes (making fun of diseases and such like AIDS, recent disasters like 9/11, political views and etc.) and I feel as though they got lazy with the animation. All you see in the new episodes is someone explaining something while standing, raising a hand or two and ending it with a punch-line that usually isn't funny or makes you giggle a bit. In the older episodes people will fall over, jump over shit, beat each other up, do this and that. They also do this a lot... [say something funny/offensive] and end it with "sssssss..... yeaaaaaaaaaaaah"

I sometimes find myself laughing at a few of their jokes, but more often than not I'd much rather be watching something else.

The episode "Brian and Stewie" confirms what everyone has said about cutaway gags. They're absent in that episode, so the laughs are absent as well.

I like Family Guy! However I'm a stupid humor loving chick. I can watch the reruns on Cartoon Network over and over and over. I can admit, the last couple of new episodes I saw seemed quite stale. It was as if the show got TOO random. An event would occur in the beginning which would suddenly cause something completely unrelated and that unrelated thing would be the episode. I guess this is why I only watch the reruns!

It's not the best cartoon ever made, quite frankly I think Tom and Jerry and some of Cartoon Network's original cartoons (PPG, Dexter's Laboratory, etc) deserve that honor, but it's way better than most of that horribly drawn and unfunny shit that comes on Adult Swim.

And the Boondocks and you have to be crazier than a shit house rat to call that horribly drawn and unfunny.

• 3 years later...

I'm digging this topic from its death to talk about death!

What did every think of tonights episode "The Life of Brian" ?

EDIT: Thanks. lets leave how we personally feel about shows out of the titles next time.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 2