Awoo.

Family Guy

Cortez

Wait wait wait, fuck talking about Brian for a second.

Seth McFarlane is the same guy who made the second best episode of Johnny Bravo, for crying out loud!

Seth was part of Johnny Bravo?

I remember hearing about a character getting killed off around this year's Comic Con. I Seriously thought the character that was going to be either Meg and Chris, (I think their gags are starting to wear thin, and i couldn't help but wonder if their voice actors were wanting to move away the show. Odd reasons but that's what I thought)

so I was surprised when I learned that they chose Brian.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Brian when they started to push his liberal views onto the show. Yeah it was made fun of here and there, but there were times the show made it look like he was in the right. (the episode where he's destorying that Wal-Mart like store with a tank episode is probably one of the worst offenders.)  Plus I haven't watched Family Guy in Years, so I'm pretty indifferent to this whole thing.

Wait wait wait, fuck talking about Brian for a second.

Seth was part of Johnny Bravo?

You mean you didn't know that? I believe he wrote quite a bit of episodes. Heck, I remember there was a very Family guy-esque gag in one of the episodes, where the Bill from Schoolhouse rock gets vetoed and burnt with a flamethrower.

I don't know.  For a character that's been around for 12 seasons, this episode just felt too rushed.  I think it should have been so this whole episode was focused on Brian and lead up to his death and they saved the grieving and Vinnie's introduction for next week.  But the bigger significance of this episode is that it really shows that the series is in its death throes that they would go to such a drastic measure.  Plus, Seth's more or less disowned the series at this point beyond voice acting.

As for Brian himself, well, he wasn't my favorite character- frankly, the episodes that focused on him were often my least favorite, but he had the most natural evolution in the series.  Granted, this is in a show where everyone's personality is as consistent as a schizophrenic, but there was something interesting yet tragic about watching him transform from the voice of reason to a liberal soapbox to a pseudointellectual underachiever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah me too, this episode just had this feeling of rushed to it. I felt that brian deserved more then 12 minutes of self-service as a send off then have a new character introducted within the later 12 minutes.

Also, wtf Quagmire? really? was your hate that deep seeded that you couldn't forgive someones faults at their funeral? why even bother going if you're gonna be an asshole...

Because he is an asshole.

Aren't they all? :v

This is kind of surprising to hear. It was Seth's fursona basically; maybe he got tired of stating his views in every episode every season in cutaway "gags"? :v

Actually, there are two upcoming episodes called "Brian's a bad father" and "Brian the closer". So I think he might come back.

This is kind of surprising to hear. It was Seth's fursona basically; maybe he got tired of stating his views in every episode every season in cutaway "gags"? :v

Actually, by all rights he was the other writers' fursona, as Seth got out of the writing gig before it got really bad.

I would say how I like that an irritating character is out, but I don't really like Family Guy to begin with, so I better not get started. :U

I love this show (Awella bird bird bird b-birds the word) and my favorite character is of course Cleveland Brown cant wait till Cleveland and his new family move to Quahog next season I think its next season

Regarding OP: I likewise liked Family Guy and the first couple "uncancelled episodes," but I stopped watching when everything about the show (character traits, political views, (then new but later dated) memes, etc.) became flanderized up to eleven like how SpongeBob did. I think American Dad! is better and more consistently good and I didn't even bother with The Cleveland Show during it's short-lived run.

Since we seem to be talking about Seth's shows in general in this thread, we should probably re-title it to "The Seth McFarlane topic" or something like that.

SPOILERS!

I don't watch the show as it is anymore, and thus I didn't watch The Life Of Brian (though I guess I will in a bit), and considering the author avatar he became in later seasons (at least according to TVTropes), I can't really care much about them killing Brian off for real (though he was tied with Stewie as one of my favorite characters in the earlier seasons). I also have my doubts that this will significantly impact to the show and it's writing for the better.

I'm a bit surprised they decided to shuffle the dog off the mortal coil with a car though, the episode that revolved around Stewie meeting his future self and traveling to his timeline revealed that Brian died by eating chocolate. Then again, that specific timeline, which revolved around how Stewie was traumatized by almost dying by a falling lifechair stand after he tried to blow somebody up, was undone by Stewie when he returned to the present because it played a major role with his future self that he met and disliked.

Speaking of which, I wonder if they will catch the guy who was driving the car. That was some pretty reckless driving, he could had arguably killed anyone unfortunate to be in his way.

EDIT: Because it apparently hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, Peter gets a replacement dog called Vinny not long after Brian dies.

tumblr_mwsw766vvB1rf9trko1_1280.jpg

From the way they were talking about him calling out Stewie when appropriate, the new guy Vinny sounds like he will be a "no-nonsense" character; but I won't be surprised to see him if he is flanderized into a sociopath like the other characters...

There's an upcoming episode next season where he dates some girl.
Brian will be back.

Also the American dad hate on the first page makes me sad

I believe people are saying it's a flashback episode back when Brian was alive.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

So how long they will milk this or just completely forget about it and just act like the new guy was there the whole time?

The episode was quite emotional to me. Was quite upset that Brian died, but I'm hoping Vinny will bring in new hope and light to the show itself

I can't believe they did that. Brian was one of the best characters in the show to me. I hope I can warm up to the new dog.

For me the best Episodes where the 'Road to....' episodes with Stewie and Brain. Even when some of the main episodes were mediocre the 'Road to' episodes in my opinion have always been gold and where always worth watching.

In the UK we are miles behind for the US when comes to box sets. So its ages since I have seen a new episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used to find this show witty and funny easily on par with The Simpsons. Yes, it was filled with unrelated cutaway gags but it generally didn't bother me as much as at it did for others. The only problem with comparing it to The Simpsons is, although I think they're both in the same place (used to be brilliant, but the shows now are just bad), The Simpsons was funnier for much longer.

For me the best Episodes where the "Road to...." episodes with Stewie and Brain. Even when some of the main episodes were mediocre the Road to episodes in my opinion have always been gold and where always worth watching.

Road to Rhode Island is easily my favourite episode of FG. The later ones became less and less humorous.

So how long they will milk this or just completely forget about it and just act like the new guy was there the whole time?

Well towards the later half of the episode they started acting like that, it was not until the final few moments that stewie pointed it out.

For me the show has been declining for the the last couple of seasons (the last one that they released over here wasn't very good) and with Brain gone and I don't think it will be the same again. The new dog isn't that funny he's a stereotypical wise guy while I can see why Peter saw the appeal in him he simply lacks the charisma and cynical observation that made Brian funny and interesting character that can relate to. 

FOX actually did the right thing cancelling the Cleveland Show, it was hard keep up with it and never really took off and while I liked some of the supporting characters, Cleveland is much better suited to a supporting character than a main one.

I honestly think Seth should start wrapping up Family Guy and then a few seasons later finish American Dad then focus on something new. I honestly rather them they cancel it now before ends like the Simpsons being held together by tape and glue.

Shows shouldn't continue so long to point they become stale. 

Guys I think Brian is coming back. At first, I thought he is dead for good...but then I looked at Wikipedia and its sources... there will be some future episodes that actually stars Brian in them. Now you'll think it's just some flashback episode on them but what I'm going to tell you what is probably going to happen (and I think this is genius from the writers):

1) When Stewie was destroying the Time-Machine in this episode, he told Brian about how he had just traveled to the future in order to get Christmas toys early. This is very important.

2) Obviously there will be a few episodes with Vinny, enough time to allow Stewie to get seriously attached to Vinny in place of Brian and to make people think Brian is gone for good and Quahog moves on.

3) Christmas is only a few weeks away, Family Guy is going to have a Christmas Episode Special...

4) In that Christmas special, Stewie is going to remember that he had traveled to the future just before he destroyed the time machine! He will find the Stewie that traveled through the machine, with Vinny in tow, tell himself what happens to Brian...and they go on an adventure to try and save him.

But here is where the road splits.

Possible endings:

5A) Stewie saves Brian, probably telling Brian to not play the hockey game, "Saves Christmas" and takes the comedic route by killing Vinny who he is supposedly attached too, erasing all of the events of the past few episodes...returning Brian to the series.

5B) Stewie manages to save Brian...but is conflicted, he has now become attached to Vinny. There will be some rivalry between Brian and Vinny but at the end, Vinny would have seen how Brian means so much to the Griffin family and would leave the family for good.
  • Thumbs Up 4

An anti-climatic death of a character that people got close to? I say that this GameofThronification is both something fresh and something lame.

Also, since when Family Guy had concrete consistence? I'm with Ming Ming on this: there will be some 616 Marvele Universe escamotage-type of resurrection.

PS: The headless chcken referring the fight sequences with the giant chicken at Peter was a nice touch.

I still liked Family Guy. I never out it over South Park and maybe Futurama, but for me it was more funny than Cleveland Show and American Dad. Never turned on the TV to watch the newest episodes every week, but whenever I did see any episode I never seen I did enjoy them (last episode I saw was when Quagmire and that lady got together for a little bit. Fun stuff.) 

Now with Brian gone, I kind of lost my will to watch any of the newer episodes. I don't know, Brian was one of my favorites in the show, and without him in the show, it's really just isn't "Family Guy" to me anymore. 

Also, since when Family Guy had concrete consistence? I'm with Ming Ming on this: there will be some 616 Marvele Universe escamotage-type of resurrection.

PS: The headless chcken referring the fight sequences with the giant chicken at Peter was a nice touch.

If you guys are talking about Kevin Swanson, Joe's oldest son, that hole was patched. they thought he died but he went A-wall and faked his death with his parents not knowing except what the military told them until he reappeared. he never techinally died.

James Woods I don't count since hes a celebrity appearance and those don't count as normal canon to the series, and his revival made somewhat abeit little sense.

And the chicken vs. peter fights are just non-canon gags.

Otherwise death stays pretty permanent in the series.