Awoo.

E3 Interview + Footage

SykoTech

The new footage looks sweet, and it seems like the physics have been slightly tweaked. Very nice.

I still can't wait for E3 for actual player impressions. :lol:

Me either, two of our staffers are going to be there posting coverage on the TSS front page so I'm looking forward to hearing their impressions and seeing any footage they manage to grab.

Is it just me, or does it look like they toned down the plastic grass (not enough, of course, but a little bit)?

Well I can certainly see the difference, maybe the only thing it bothers me are the precense of boosters everywhere and that Sonic seems to have the speedcap again :unsure: (even when spindashing) , but probably that sjust me getting so used to th most recent versions of Sonic.

So... for accuracy's sake I watched the leaked videos just to see if sonic is indeed slowed down, it seems like I was mistaken, that was probably the section of the level they were showing us, because the leaked videos has pretty similar sections where sonic seems to go slower than what he actually is (the leaks also has one when Sonic cant climb a cliff 'till he uses a spring to gain speed).

p.d: now that I think about it, we haven't seen Sonic go wheel-o-feet in the current buld, so we don't know what is his max speed and/or acceleration yet.

Still has the homing attack, fail.

The physics look slightly better, but his jump still looks stupid and moves oddly, Sonic still goes into that stupid sitting down butt pose when he comes out of launches, there are way way too many speed booster dash pad things that link into springs that link into dash pads that link into swings and into more springs and so on.....

And the level is still just a big ripoff of GreenHill zone right down to the boss, who will be exceptionaly easy and lame with the insta-win buttonhoming attack.

Not holding my breath for this game to be anything but mediocre, and until I see some originality and in proper classic form (hopefully by episode 2) I'm thinking this will be a miss from me as I hate DLC and need to set all that up just for this anyways - and for a classic fan to be giving Sonic 4 a miss, well they're obviously doing something wrong.

EDIT: Ken Balough calls Robotnik "Robotnik" :lol: if only the game could be so lucky.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Still has the homing attack, fail.

The physics look slightly better, but his jump still looks stupid and moves oddly, there are way way too many speed booster dash pad things that link into springs that link into dash pads that link into swings and into more springs and so on.....

And the level is still just a big ripoff of GreenHill zone right down to the boss, who will be exceptionaly easy and lame with the insta-win buttonhoming attack.

Not holding my breath for this game to be anything but mediocre, and until I see some originality and in proper classic form (hopefully by episode 2) I'm thinking this will be a miss from me as I hate DLC and need to set all that up just for this anyways - and for a classic fan to be giving Sonic 4 a miss, well they're obviously doing something wrong.

I'm a classic Sonic fan and I'm giving Sonic 4 a shot, so your logic is all messed up XD

Edit:

Also, anyone notice that @ 0:58 Sonic didn't even hit the enemy or the boxes?

Edited by Lunar

The boss wouldn't be any harder without it considering the fact that we've already fought it two times already (three if you want to count SAdv1).

The battle was lame to begin with.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The boss wouldn't be any harder without it considering the fact that we've already fought it two times already (three if you want to count SAdv1).

The battle was lame to begin with.

I beg to differ. Sure it isn't hard by any means, but there is a difference between spamming one button only, and using one button to jump and controls to aim that jump and also the rebound and landing. The homing attack on bosses in 2D is just cheap.

Off subject: Nice profile pic, I heard a rumor that one of Deadpool's special attacks is him hitting the opponent with their own health bar! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind Ken says we're only seeing SOME of the changes in this demo and NOT ALL OF THEM since they've not long started the whole reworking of the game, so how can you write the game off already The-Master-Board? :huh: The games been delayed until Late 2010, there's plenty of time ahead yet so we'll many more improvements in the future.

Keep in mind Ken says we're only seeing SOME of the changes in this demo and NOT ALL OF THEM since they've not long started the whole reworking of the game, so how can you write the game off already The-Master-Board? :huh: The games been delayed until Late 2010, there's plenty of time ahead yet so we'll many more improvements in the future.

True, but I am only basing this on what I have seen so far. If however new information comes out that leads me to believe otherwise that this game is just "poor physics-dash-pad-Sonic1&2-rerun" then I will definitely be giving this a go.

I am just saying that I'm not holding my breath that any major changes will be made to this, and as my current status is, I would not waste the time, money and effort to get myself console-internet just to download what I see *so far* as being a poor attempt to cash in on classic fans without actually appealing properly to the classic fan with what should be something great if they're going to call it Sonic 4!

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, the physics don't look changed to me. I really hope that is footage of an older build.

It's a shame, because I feel that everything else in the game is great. The graphics, the music, the level design are all very good. The level design especially. Very surprised about how good that turned out.

But auuuuugh the physics. What's so hard about using the Sonic Advance engine? That was pretty damn close to the Genesis games. And this is Dimps, so they could easily do it. Why....won't....they....do it?? :(

So it's pretty disappointing that the sequel to my favorite game of all time has the physics of a Sonic fangame I played in 2000.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, the physics don't look changed to me. I really hope that is footage of an older build.

It's a shame, because I feel that everything else in the game is great. The graphics, the music, the level design are all very good. The level design especially. Very surprised about how good that turned out.

But auuuuugh the physics. What's so hard about using the Sonic Advance engine? That was pretty damn close to the Genesis games. And this is Dimps, so they could easily do it. Why....won't....they....do it?? :(

So it's pretty disappointing that the sequel to my favorite game of all time has the physics of a Sonic fangame I played in 2000.

Sonic Advance engine is old. If they were using it, chances are that the game would be entirely 2D. I think they're using Rush because it already has the 3D capabilities. Still, there's nothing wrong with them using the Rush engine. It just should be heavily modified for such a game.

That doesn't follow. There is no reason that they couldn't use the Advance physics engine when the game is supposedly entirely 2D.

• Thumbs Up 1

That doesn't follow. There is no reason that they couldn't use the Advance physics engine when the game is supposedly entirely 2D.

3D models. It does make a difference, apparently.

Edited by Tropical Resort Zone

3D models. It does make a difference, apparently.

For the game engine. Not the physics engine specifically. If the game is only played from a 2D perspective, it doesn't matter one lick whether the graphics are models or sprites so long as the hit scans are set up correctly for both.

And whoever downvoted me for stating a fact should perhaps learn a little about game design, but more importantly grow the fuck up.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I spoke to someone about it because it had me confused, but they were quite adamant that it does matter. Meh, no biggie either way. Case in point: rush physics aren't right for S4.

Just so you know, it wasn't me who down-ranked you. But I should have. You know, for not agreeing with everything I ever said and all that. (God I hate the rep system)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I spoke to someone about it because it had me confused, but they were quite adamant that it does matter.

I have to say that you were given incorrect info, unless you had a specific instance explained to you that went against the grain. I'll explain it, just for general knowledge: For 2D games (and technically 3D games, but lets not confuse the issue), the sprites used have a height and width.

However, the sprite's actual height and width (as in how large the artwork is) are irrelevant to the game engine. The way the physics engine for 2D games are usually (as in overwhelming majority) designed, the engine determines the location and size of the sprite on screen and in relation to other objects (such as, say, enemies or traps) by the sprite's hitbox (There are many names for this, but I'll just call it the one more commonly known to gamers. I also mispoke earlier. A hitscan is something different). This is for a couple of reasons, namely that it is easier to do and more modular (or, in layman's terms, easier to edit as needed).

The hitbox is superimposed onto each sprite animation to tell the game engine how much space the character takes up at any given time (for example, ducking in fighting games makes you shorter to the game engine). With that in mind, it really doesn't matter whether the hitbox is used in conjunction with a model or with a sprite, so long as the hitbox is lined up correctly with the animation currently occurring. This technique is applied to all of the objects in the game. This is why sometimes in fighting games and (especially) shooters, you hear complaints about how the sprite/model used doesn't actually line up with the hitbox when you take damage from something.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

It shouldn't be hard to put a 3D object onto a 2D one in an engine. It's actually simple.

1) Make 2D object's movements, physics, etc.

2) Make 3D model with animations

3) Make 2D object invisible

4) Make the 3D model basically stick to the 2D object

5) Make the animations for the 3D model depend on certain events the 2D object goes through

Unless if I'm missing something, that's basically the way to do it. They could've easily gone to the Advance engine, added that stuff really quickly and been done with the engine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

A pretty good summation. That's generally believed to be how they developed the original Sonic Rush, starting with the Advance 3 sprites and switching to models sometime later when they had the physics sorted out.

Edited by Tornado

I beg to differ. Sure it isn't hard by any means, but there is a difference between spamming one button only, and using one button to jump and controls to aim that jump and also the rebound and landing. The homing attack on bosses in 2D is just cheap.

That would probably be so if the boss was actually difficult to some extent, which would really change up the arguement. But that still doesn't do anything to the difficulty to the extent where it is cheap considering the fact that the skill was lacking to begin with on the first boss.

Homing Attack or no, there is practically zero skill in defeating that boss.

Off subject: Nice profile pic, I heard a rumor that one of Deadpool's special attacks is him hitting the opponent with their own health bar! :lol:

Thx! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it just me, or does it look like they toned down the plastic grass (not enough, of course, but a little bit)?

No, it's not just you.

So I'm not the only one who thought physics didn't change. One thing that turns me away from this game, is the bosses. I'm sorry, but they could've done better then just adding some new tricks.

Edited by A.C.193

So I'm not the only one who thought physics didn't change. One thing that turns me away from this game, is the bosses. I'm sorry, but they could've done better then just adding some new tricks.

I told y'all. They will change nothing substantive. Booster spam, check. Same tired engine, check. Green eyes, check.

The delay is a gimmick to convince everyone who pirated the leaked version that they should buy the "real new totally improved version!!".

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 10

I told y'all. They will change nothing substantive. Booster spam, check. Same tired engine, check. Green eyes, check.

The delay is a gimmick to convince everyone who pirated the leaked version that they should buy the "real new totally improved version!!".

Alas poor Frozen, I knew him jumpingas to conclusions as usual I see. Hows bout we wait till E3 before we start throwing the warheads.

The acceleration looked quite different. It looked more like it did in the Genesis/Megadrive games. Which is awesome. I mean, SEGA is actually fixing up the game!

Still, the physics themselves look a bit wonky, and the overusage of speed boosters is lame. Though, they still said some aspects of the game are still in development. If these 2 things can be fixed by the final release, it'll be a great throwback to the days of old (though I still hope they add a new final boss >_>). If not.... eh, I'll be worried.

Also, I sincerely hope motion control is ONLY used in the special stages.... the cart level better be truly ditched from the game, it looked nightmarishly bad.

trololo.jpg

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Am I the only one happy with what I'm seeing anyway? It looks fun and reminds me of the Genesis games a fair bit. I mean, there was a lot of speed boosters in one part, but other than that it looked like Sonic 2 HD to me, which I can't really complain about at all. There was platforming and multiple paths and shit too, all big parts of the Genesis games. Whatever.

@Frozen Nitrogen: You're going to buy the game anyway, so why do you keep complaining about it? If if you aren't going to buy it, why are you wasting your time complaining about it on a forum?

Edited by Solid SOAP
  • Thumbs Up 3

Did you really have to bring up the green eyes? I thought we were beyond that by now.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 4