Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Shaddix Leto Croft

The rumors start flying around this time, just days before Nintendo pops the lid off its hugely secretive line-up at its E3 press conference. One of the wildest, but certainly credible, rumors we've just heard in the halls from those in the know: Retro Studios -- the Nintendo-funded studio that created Metroid Prime and its two sequels -- is now working its magic on a Wii game starring Donkey Kong.

Retro Studios' last released project was the Wii compilation Metroid Prime Trilogy and the last we spoke with them, the team was deep into its next project. "I think you'll be very excited when you find out what we're working on," the team told us last year without saying another word.

Donkey Kong is certainly a property that's a far cry from the mature Metroid franchise, but, if the rumors hold true, an attempt at a DK game could certainly stretch the team's creative muscles. The last Donkey Kong game was the Wii-remake of Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat from Nintendo's Tokyo team. Other external studios who have taken a crack at Donkey Kong include Rare with Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64, Namco with Donkey Konga, and Paon with DK King of Swing.

http://uk.wii.ign.co.../1096857p1.html

New Donkey Kong.... yesh please =D, I hope this rumor turns out to be true would love a brand new Donkey Kong game =)

ZOMG IT'S REALLLL WOOO *goes looks for images of the game*

Edited by Shaddix

This will certainly be interesting, if true. Aside from the likes of F-Zero and StarFox, I imagine Donkey Kong being one of the few remaining franchises that will really get Nintendo's hardcore audience excited - especially as Donkey Kong will be the least expected announcement of those franchises.

Hey, if they can make the already awesome Metroid into the even awesomer Metroid Prime, then I'm all for Retro working their magic on Donkey Kong.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow!

As i read about this on another site, all i could think of is "why can't they let Retro do a new IP? They effing earned it!"

Metroid Prime is one of those games i will always hold in fond memory, and i sincerely wished Retro would be given a chance to create a new IP... :(

Edited by killemoff

As i read about this on another site, all i could think of is "why can't they let Retro do a new IP? They effing earned it!"

Metroid Prime is one of those games i will always hold in fond memory, and i sincerely wished Retro would be given a chance to create a new IP... :(

It's all dependent. On one end you may think that HOWEVER maybe Retro really enjoy working on Nintendo franchises instead of making original IPs? Their name is RETRO Studios, I would imagine getting permission to work on such legendary franchises such as Metroid and if true, Donkey Kong would be an honor. It all depends on how they feel though.

Also they may be working on more obscure franchises to continue the series when it's been out of the general audiences eye. Sure, I loved Jungle Beat but I would be lying if I said Donkey Kong has felt like an important franchise since the Nintendo 64 days. We know this E3 we have Metroid Other M and the new Zelda game, the rest Nintendo is hush-hush on though I would rule out any major Mario games (if they DID announce another big Mario game that would be kind of weird) and one thing I do expect to see is Pikmin 3 (if only since it's been mentioned as being in development the last two E3s). Rumor mill about, the other potential options would be Kirby and now Donkey Kong (this sounds like a rumor that actually has merit to me), and of course we're all also hoping for Star Fox. Also a new IP that isn't "Wii -insert word here-" is more than welcome if it looks interesting.

If Retro can do for DK what they did for Metroid, I'm all for it.

Make it worse? :P Honestly I think the 2D Metroids are much better than the Primes, especially Hunters, but I'll just not count that >_>.. And I don't think the Primes are bad, I love them, especially scanning things is fun :-/...

If the games is anything as good as DK64 I'll be happy.. But I think its weird that Retro would be working on a DK game. The only games I know from them are the Primes, which are serious, so I can't really imagine them making a light hearted funny game like Donkey Kong. Not saying the can't, though. I'd like to see them do something like that.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Agreed. Aside from 64, I've never really been a big fan of the Donkey Kong franchise. If there's anyone who I'm confident can make a good game for it, it's the folks that made my favorite video game of all time.

Edited by SuperStingray

I am BEYOND excited for this. I really am. I've waited SO long for this. For the past five years, ever since the Wii was still called the "Revolution", there's been quite a few claims that a Donkey Kong platformer was going to appear at E3, and so far, it hasn't happened. However, this time around, I'm pretty sure that it's more than just a rumor, since there's quite a bit of evidence to support it.

-This page shows that it was hinted at on a certain Twitter page.

-Retro Studios was asked about what their next project was last year, and they responded with, "I think you'll be very excited when you find out what we're working on."

-Yoshiaki Koizumi, one of the producers at Nintendo, was asked if a new Donkey Kong game was in development, and he responsded with, "Oh, I can't tell you that."

-Oh, and of course, there's the claim that Famitsu Magazine made back in 2005, that a new Donkey Kong game was in development. Over the years, that link got changed into a Barrel Blast article, but keep in mind, though, that this article was made at the time that game was still on the Gamecube, under the name of "DK Bongo Blast".

Make it worse? :P Honestly I think the 2D Metroids are much better than the Primes, especially Hunters, but I'll just not count that >_>.. And I don't think the Primes are bad, I love them, especially scanning things is fun :-/...

Retro Studios had nothing to do with Hunters.

I'm fucking stoked on the possibility, especially if it's like DK64.

If the games is anything as good as DK64 I'll be happy.

:/ Not me. I thought DK64 was a snore. Plus it had shitty friends syndrome.

EDIT:

I'm outnumbered.

Edited by speedfreak

Really? Who developed it? Nintendo, or some other 3rd party company :-/?

Speedfreak: What about DKC2? That was my favorite Country..One of the things I loved about DK64 was that it felt like there were secrets the whole time, but thats how all Rare Nintendo 64 games felt to me... And I liked the friends. Sure Dixie would have been better than...errr Trixe? OR was it Tiny? :-/ I liked the weapon, and everything. I'd love a Virtual Console or DS version of it...

If this is true, Nintendo are stealing the show. I mean, Zelda, Metroid, Epic Mickey, and a brand new Donkey Kong platformer all in one show? Holy shit.

If this is true, Nintendo are stealing the show. I mean, Zelda, Metroid, Epic Mickey, and a brand new Donkey Kong platformer all in one show? Holy shit.

Yep, all those and GoldenEye as well... And yet people are already barking at me on messenger about how it's the 'worst Nintendo conference ever'... Is it just me or do people just hate everything?

Yep, all those and GoldenEye as well... And yet people are already barking at me on messenger about how it's the 'worst Nintendo conference ever'... Is it just me or do people just hate everything?

Yeah, they do. That's the internet for you.

I've never actually played a DK game except for store demos, but this looks like a lot of fun. And it's Retro so I have faith.

Not that I have anything against the game, but why Retro? They're behind one of Nintendo's most advanced and epic (sub)series. Sure, I could forsee them doing a brawler or even a racing title, but I have a hard time seeing a developer who I consider Nintendo's equivalent of Valve and Bungie creating a sidescroller.

Seems pretty clear to me, Retro are now Nintendo's big 2nd party... Looks like they've become Rare's replacement - handling Nintendo's big first person franchise (GoldenEye/Perfect Dark -> Metroid Prime) and now handling Donkey Kong. I felt that with Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Jungle Climber, while great games, they didn't seem to get Rare's Donkey Kong spirit quite right, whilst Retro seem to be very good at updating an old formula and recreating the feel or spirit of something judging by their Metroid games - and based on the DKC Returns trailer. I think it looks brilliant.

So now the Wii seems to have become a bit of a "best of Nintendo", what with great Gamecube sequels and 'New Play Control', GoldenEye and 'true Mario 64 successor' Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country 4, and New Super Mario Bros... seems they have a little something returning from every console... Now we just need Star Fox and F-Zero. :P

I have to agree with the people who say "64 wasn't that good." The DKC games were way better, so I like the look of this. Donkey Kong 64 wasn't that bad... but I still didn't care for it nearly as much as the Donkey Kong Country titles.

I wonder how this game'll fre. The Country games had the bonus of having 3D graphics in a time where this was new and awesome, but thats over, you know? Not saying they were only good because of their graphics, but they are something that is always talked about...

I'm quite fond of the Country games as me and my ex played them loads together for a while. Oddly enough, I actually prefer them to most 2D Mario games actually.

I have only played DK64 for about five minutes on an old emulator of mine; it suffered from massive slowdown so I gave up and never went back to it.

Really? Who developed it? Nintendo, or some other 3rd party company :-/?

A special division of Nintendo, yes. Nintendo Software Technology.

I'm so fucking hyped for this. This made the show for me. I literally cried happpy tears when they mentioned Retro Studios, the Jungle Japes music started to play and screamed FUCK YEEEEEEEEES repeatedly while my friends were laughing hysterically and trying to calm me down because of my dream revival coming true.

Y'know, letting it all settle, I'm starting to think this might be my most wanted game of Nintendo's lineup. Which is odd, as my prior experience with DK is limited to the original Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, and...Smash Bros.

But this looks amazing. Retro, you have not let me down.

Nintendo could have revealed this and nothing else, and they still would have won E3 for me. This game looks fantastic in every possible way. It's got all the classic DKC stuff: vine swinging, banana coins, Diddy tag team, and freakin' minecarts! And I also see a few elements of Jungle Beat in there. And Diddy's ability to ride on Donkey as he rolls looks all kinds of kickass. I honestly was hoping for DK's return to be in 3D, but, I'll take what I can get! This looks great.

• Thumbs Up 1