Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Shaddix Leto Croft

I was really enjoying Nintendo's press conference, and I thought that it couldn't get any better. And then they mentioned Retro with Jungle Japes playing in the background. At that moment my heart skipped a few beats, and then I saw the footage.

Damn, I really can't wait to play this game. Retro seems to have nailed the style of the original SNES games, and I really can't ask for anything else. This game is going to be sick as hell, and I really can't wait to see more of this in the future.

Nintendo could have revealed this and nothing else, and they still would have won E3 for me. This game looks fantastic in every possible way. It's got all the classic DKC stuff: vine swinging, banana coins, Diddy tag team, and freakin' minecarts! And I also see a few elements of Jungle Beat in there. And Diddy's ability to ride on Donkey as he rolls looks all kinds of kickass. I honestly was hoping for DK's return to be in 3D, but, I'll take what I can get! This looks great.

Yep, this pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. I can't wait for this game, and now I have the sudden urge to go back and replay the original DKC games. And maybe I'll DK64 while I'm at it. I actually really liked that game.

As i read about this on another site, all i could think of is "why can't they let Retro do a new IP? They effing earned it!"

Metroid Prime is one of those games i will always hold in fond memory, and i sincerely wished Retro would be given a chance to create a new IP... :(

Even though I love the way DKC Returns is looking (best of Nintendo's show), I can't help but agree with this.

The one thing Nintendo has consistently failed to deliver on is a new IP. Not just some B-list game, but one that could join Mario, Metroid, and Zelda as one of their legendary franchises. If any of Nintendo's developers could do that, it's Retro Studios.

Unfortunately, Miyamoto intervened when they were making a game involving guns on cars. And going by what Reggie said, they are working on DK due to a request from Nintendo. Sounds like they're on a tight leash, so I wouldn't expect any new properties from them.

All I can say about Retro is, atleast they're not being forced to change their image as well as pretty much abandon their franchises and work on motion control games like Rare have :(

I think this looks brilliant. I'm never been a massive DK fan but I loved the hell out of Jungle Beat.

Unfortunately this isn't as visually impressive as Jungle Beat was :/

Edited by SuperLink

All I can say about Retro is, atleast they're not being forced to change their image as well as pretty much abandon their franchises and work on motion control games like Rare have :(

Indeed. Retro certainly isn't getting screwed like that. Besides, if they can bring DK back to superstardom, then it'll be the next best thing to a new IP.

Anyway, some brief footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Nzj9Wc3AM

Okay, the game's story is about Tiki's stealing DK's bananas again, right? Okay, this is really petty and stupid, but the opening of the game better involve you leaving DK's hut, going into his basement, and see the bananas missing. That's a must, even if it has no impact on the overall quality of the game, I want to see it. :(

Moar Footage from IGN youtube channel =D looks really awesome so getting this game =) Retro looks like they have handled DKC very well =)

Haha, that girl playing in the black shirt reminds me of a little kid with the way she's shouting and jumping around. She gets so into it. XD

Oh, and I like how they gave Diddy his jet-pack to make him a bit more unique compared to DK. I just hope it doesn't make the game too easy.

Okay, the game's story is about Tiki's stealing DK's bananas again, right? Okay, this is really petty and stupid, but the opening of the game better involve you leaving DK's hut, going into his basement, and see the bananas missing. That's a must, even if it has no impact on the overall quality of the game, I want to see it. :(

No Kremlings or K. Rool = PHAIL. Gameplay looks awesome, though.

So it has to do with tikis? I guess that makes sense. Here's hoping that K. Rool and his Kremlings still pop up later on. I'd so love to see K. Rool wearing another one of his costumes.

No kremlings huh? Well that's a downer...

Still, I saw the trailer and gameplay. It looks like loads of fun.

This is going onto my list of anticipated gamess from E3 this year. I look forward to it.

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

No Kremlings or K. Rool? D: Whaaaat?

Anyway who is Tiki? A new character? The name seems familiar...

I honestly don't care about the Kremlings. They never were that interesting. Besides, didn't Diddy destroy their life force or some shit in DCK2?

So how were they in DKC3 anbd 64? :-/ I never beat a Country game bty, since I didn't own a Super Nintendo...

So, I heard you Like Donkeys and Kongs

Really Loving the way that Game Looks like so Far. Certanly looking forward to it.

I think that K. Rool has been neglected for far too long, personally. He's a thousand times better than Bowser.

Still, that's my only gripe with this game so far. And I'm with Solid SOAP, we NEED a basement scene at the beginning.

Those of you worried about Retro's freedom, have no fear. This is a snippet from a recent interview with Miyamoto:

Bringing back Donkey Kong Country for the fans, particuarly in North America, and for the team at Retro Studios being very excited when the franchise came up as an option.

Maybe Retro are Rare fans? Being a western based studio, they may have had some influence by them, so they may love the idea of being able to continue their legacy in the most literal sense.

Basically, Retro wanted to make DKC.

Edited by SuperLink

I couldn't be bothered to watch that whole video but the first two minutes do look quite fun.

Nice to know Retro was excited about the project too. I'd imagine they'd make a better game if they're interested in their work.

Those of you worried about Retro's freedom, have no fear. This is a snippet from a recent interview with Miyamoto:

Maybe Retro are Rare fans? Being a western based studio, they may have had some influence by them, so they may love the idea of being able to continue their legacy in the most literal sense.

Basically, Retro wanted to make DKC.

I heard that the president of Retro was part of the Nintendo of America team that helped Rare with DKC. It's been said in Ask Iwata that he jumped at the chance to work on DKC again, and that the rest of the team was very enthusiastic as well.

Reggie to Play Donkey Kong with Jimmy

Brief programming update: The person who will play Donkey Kong Country Returns on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tonight is Nintendo of America chief Reggie Fils-Aime. First time a video game executive gets on late night network TV?

Probably should have posted this sooner, instead of five minutes before it airs, but eh. I don't follow this thread. >u<

I've got to say, I don't know if I've ever been this hyped for a platformer- even after I re-beat the original Donkey Kong Country last night and remembered all the things that pissed me off, I'm still looking forward to it. DKC needed a revival as much as Kirby did, and it looks to be coming back in full swing.

It looks so fun to play, and the fact that you can play as Donkey Kong and Diddy simultaneously would have been a dream come true when I was a little kid.

And I'm also really impressed at how the game looks. The animation is superb.

Edited by The Soldier

I've seen a lot of people complaining that the Kremlings and more specifically K. Rool aren't coming back but I honestly don't mind it. I think it's great that Retro are being allowed to design a new set of antagonists for the DKC universe.

I still can't shake that feeling that they will be in the game just not until the end like as a surprise. Call me skeptical, I don't even care for the Kremlngs too much, but they are an important part of Donkey Kong Country, and more so I know Retro like to leave surprises for the player and I know Nintendo have the rights to King K. Rool and the Kremlings... I honestly think they are just trying to make people believe they are not back so their return will be surprising.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper