Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Shaddix Leto Croft

I doubt Dixie will be in this game. It very probable that its just Donkey and Diddy Kongs.

I just re-watched the trailer and got all teary-eyed. The DKC series was one that I liked, but it's never been particularly special to me. For that to happen must mean something.

=D

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Reading that article really disappoints me. Diddy isn't playable in single player? WHAT?! I always played as Diddy over Donkey xO! No underwater levels? They were the only under water levels I really liked in platformers xO No Alligators?! (I knew this, but confirmation stings) Argh,thats like taking away goombas and koopas from a Mario Platformer!

Say what you want, that I'm scared of change or so, but maybe I am. But I was happy how the DKCs were!

Reading that article really disappoints me. Diddy isn't playable in single player? WHAT?! I always played as Diddy over Donkey xO! No underwater levels? They were the only under water levels I really liked in platformers xO No Alligators?! (I knew this, but confirmation stings) Argh,thats like taking away goombas and koopas from a Mario Platformer!

Say what you want, that I'm scared of change or so, but maybe I am. But I was happy how the DKCs were!

^ Okay, now that SERIOUSLY sucks. Why can't it be like the "two lives" thing from before, where when Diddy/Donkey dies you automatically switch to the other. "No underwater levels" also sucks, since underwater levels have always been in Donkey Kong games (at least, they were in DKC and DK64; I don't know about later DK platformers since I haven't played them).

Still looks awesome... that's just a downer. And yeah, I always played Diddy over Donkey, too. And later I always played Dixie over Diddy/Kiddy.

I still do find it quite funny how almost all major Kongs appear in Barrel Blast (Candy isn't playable, but she's still in), and even LANKY returns, who only appeared in DK64, but Kiddy/Chunky never appeared again (as far as I know).

Anyway, slight rant over... I seriously hope they reconsider lack of playable Diddy in single player. I'd much prefer switching, like in the original games.

No Diddy in single player? Unlike Luigi and the Toads in NSMB, this actually does make a difference to the gameplay. A shame.

No underwater levels? I like them but almost everyone else in the world hates them. It's a fair cut.

No Kremlings? It's not a bad thing. If you remeber, Mario Sunshine had no Goombas and Koopas (I don't count Electro-Koopas, as they looked different and were a different enemy entirely).

And you can't have been happy with the DKC games as they were. If you remember, they were dead until DKCR. =D

Well, I'm not particularly bothered by anything except the lack of Kremlins.

Diddy not being playable in single player sorta sucks, but I always play cooperatively anyway- especially now that two players can work together simultaneously instead of the swap-thing.

And there aren't anymore underwater levels? GOOD RIDDANCE. They were some of the shittiest and most frustrating levels in the series that made the original DKC's glaring flaws even more apparent, like how easy it is to outrun(swim) the camera.

No Kremlings? It's not a bad thing. If you remeber, Mario Sunshine had no Goombas and Koopas (I don't count Electro-Koopas, as they looked different and were a different enemy entirely).

Eh, really? I didn't know that.. But there were still other classic enemys like Chompchomps, as far as I remember, but I didn't play Sunshine all that much :-/ So, I guess bad example, but I'm still mad about the lack of Kremlings. They were cool :(

Also, one reason I miss underwater levels, is becaue I loved Enguarde :-/

Edited by MarcelloF

I too quite liked the underwater levels of DKC, much more than the frustrating water levels of Mario or Sonic games.

So it's a real shame that they're gone.

As for Kremlins and Diddy Kong, I'm not bothered.

However from the footage it seems like Diddy Kong has a jetpack. Isn't that kinda unfair? To only allow P2 to use such a handy move? Not sure why they didn't just give them identical movesets.

The only bad thing I see in the lack of underwater levels is the missed potentially awesome music since the DKC games had some of the best music for underwater voyages.

I'm not that bothered that they're gone even though they were handled better than most other games would handle underwater though. The physics were really awesome.

However from the footage it seems like Diddy Kong has a jetpack. Isn't that kinda unfair? To only allow P2 to use such a handy move? Not sure why they didn't just give them identical movesets.

Actually I'm fairly sure I read that Jet Packs are available for both Donkey and Diddy.

Actually I'm fairly sure I read that Jet Packs are available for both Donkey and Diddy.

I'm pretty sure that's only when Diddy is riding on his back.

I hope Donkey Kong has some kind of advantage over Diddy this time around. He could beat enemies Diddy couldn't in DKC1, which was situational, but at least he had something that made him desirable to use at points. Diddy usually had a slight advantage anyway, but at least we had incentive to use Donkey Kong from time to time.

edit: okay fuck, now I'm mad. I had just replayed DKC1 a few nights ago with another player. I picked Donkey Kong and I had no idea the hand-slap could defeat most enemies instantly. That would have really helped.

Edited by The Soldier

Donkey is much stronger, but Diddy is quicker and faster. I always much preferred Dixie's hair spin ability, though. Way awesome. Now that Diddy's got his jetpack, though, it probably brings up above Dixie's hair spin. I still like her better, though... (And I FAR prefer her to Tiny...)

Oh, and I believe that Diddy rides on Donkey's back when playing solo, hence how Donkey gets to use Diddy's jetpack.

The article says Diddy occasionally pops up. also, I think the jezpack is different from Dxie's hairspin. He flys up with it, while Dixies hairs was to desecent slower..

I just went back and played it to test out the hand-slap thing and I can't find that many enemies or instances where it's actually safer or smarter to use than a normal jump or roll. It would have helped, but not by that much.

Also Kiddy Kong sucks. Hard.

Kiddy and Dixie combo was the best in the original series to me. There was the weight and power differentiation that Donkey and Diddy had, but also a plethora of new moves in the mix.

I love how every sidescroller Nintendo make now is incorporating the co-op feature from New SMB - even if DKCR's evidently uses more of a "Tails" system where player 1 has the camera and player 2 can go 'off screen' (I would much prefer a zoom camera to handle this but that's just me), I'm thrilled that I can play a DKC game together with my girlfriend, since we both love the series (she grew up with DKC on her Game Boy Colour and I played the SNES originals on GameCube and then DK Jungle Beat) and New SMB has been an absolute joy to play together.

• 1 month later...
Nintendo's Press Site just revealed the release dates for most of their upcoming titles, including Donkey Kong Country Returns! The game will release November 21st. All I can say is, I'm SUPER HYPED!

The Sunday after Sonic Colors. I wonder if that will hurt SC sales. Anyway I'm going to be too broke from buying all these awesome games to get people decent presents this Christmas. I'm also going to be too busy playing these awesome games to get out and do some overtime to earn some extra cash. Such a vicious cycle.

It's being released for Christmas, just the same as Colours and about a billion other titles.It's to be expected with titles that kids would want to play.

I played this yesterday and to me, while the game is fun, it didn't really feel like a DK Country game.

The worst part for me was my partner. I just played with some guy to hurry up, but the guy was a total a-hole. I was trying to collect everything and blow the flowers etc, but he just kept running off so I had to hurry and catch up. I kept screwing up, because of that >_>

It was fun, though. The controls are a little annoying. To roll you have to hold right and shake the Wiimote, which I find extremely annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Woo Boxart time XD

143765e.jpg

It's a awesome boxart but it can't top Sonic Colours though for me.....oo Look Rambi there =)

Edited by Shaddix

I really don't know what it is, but I've almost never seen a render of a Donkey Kong character (well, the Kongs, at least) that I've liked. I don't know what it is, exactly, but they always come off as looking like they were rendered in the mid-nineties. Maybe it's the fur, I dunno.

That's still some pretty nice cover art, though. Not as good as Epic Yarn or even Colours, but still very pretty. It's certainly miles better than Other M's, feh.