Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Shaddix Leto Croft

It looks great, but I don't really see what's "SO FUCKING AWESOME!!" about it. Still, it made me want the game more.

It looks great, but I don't really see what's "SO FUCKING AWESOME!!" about it. Still, it made me want the game more.

It looks challenging, clever, and unique in the way it presents it's platforming. It's doing a bunch of new things that no platformer has ever done before, yet they seem to fit perfectly into the genre. Even the ideas that come from the classic trilogy appear to have a fun new twist to them. Also with all the new ideas it still manages to give off strong nostalgia feel (at least IMO) to the original DKC trilogy.

Anyway that's my opinion on it.

Playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy: Okay Retro Studios, which foot do you want me to kiss? The left or the right?

HOLY SHIT! This game looks leagues better than the DKC triolgy IMO. In fact it looks like it could end up as one of the best 2D platformers ever! It has so many unique ideas that look like they're pulled off perfectly. I read a preview where someone said it topped NSMBW as the Wii's best 2D platformer. At first I thought that was unlikely because I had an absolute blast with NSMBW but after seeing a few videos I'm a believer. I really can't wait to play through DKCR and then do it all over again in co-op!

Edited by YoshiUnity: Ace Professor

Is that redone music from the original Donkey Kong Country I hear in that trailer? Nice.

Edit: How the heck did that line get duplicated? :/

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

Footage looked amazing, but I'm still not sold unless I get a decent map screen with accompanying music to match.

I'm gonna buy it regardless.

I was never a big fan of the original Donkey Kong Country games, to be honest, but I'm starting to get fairly interested in this one. I'm not sure if it's because Retro's involved or because of how well it's taking advantage of the fact that it's 2.5D (NSMBWii and Sonic 4 ought to be ashamed), or even just because of how pretty it is, but something about DKCR rubs me the right way. It's still not a huge priority for me, but I'll probably pick it up sooner or later.

That's exactly how I feel about the game. It's missing something special. I played it a fair amount at Eurogamer and it's really lacking something.

Really? Which level(s) were you able to play?

Footage looked amazing, but I'm still not sold unless I get a decent map screen with accompanying music to match.

I'm gonna buy it regardless.

They brought back Donkey's "getting hit" animation from the first DKC. You can totally tell that they are paying attention to details.

Really? Which level(s) were you able to play?

Uh... first one, one in a jungle (helpful I know), one with minecarts. No idea what the names were.

I think the game is looking fantastic, but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get this game, especially when there are certain other 2D platformers on the Wii that I find more important to obtain. Play it, though? Sure, someday.

It's official- Retro is the talent that Rare lost. I never really got into the orignial DKC games (unless you count DK64, but that was in a league of its own) but this one looks like more of an actual continuation rather than a reboot. It's not pulling any "Oh, you're new? Well, let me make it a bit easier" shit you see in most reboots these days. Retro Studios couldn't have a more fitting name, because there are few, if any, game developers out there that know how to carry over classic game philosophies into the modern age so well.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone like Donkey Kong Maths reference in there Donkey Kong Country Returns

Screen_shot_2010_11_03_at_6.33.53_PM.png

I think I'm in love with Retro Studios now <3, Nintendo really should let Retro work on DKC games morw than Metroid now forever and ever and ever!!! <3 XD ooh also I got I finally got around to pre ordering this game today so I can't wait to get it now =D.

Edited by Shaddix

Found this new trailer.

Those levels look crazy, in a good way of course.

Edited by Balding Spider

I gotta admit, I was totally impartial until I saw the recent footage. I was pretty unmoved, even knowing it's by the guys who made my beloved Metroid Prime Trilogy, but that recent footage looks really damn impressive for a platformer, tonnes of great ideas and looks very, very challenging, but in a good way, not a frustration way... Will add it to my wishlist!

If people didn't know yet, Nintendo.com is holding a sweepstakes to win a copy of Donkey Kong Country Returns or a Red Wii. US citizens only, as far as I know, though. If you've got a twitter account, check out the "Hoard of Hype" option on the DKCR minisite.

I want this game.

For some strange reason, seeing this makes me want another Wario Land game made for the Wii, but like this. Dunno why, because I absolutely loved the 2D cel look to the last one and adored the game.

Wario Land 5 has gorgeous animation. Love how they got a studio to animate the whole thing and not just the cutscenes. Another Wario Land game would be welcome, since all of them have been fairly solid to date.

I don't see the problem with the Super Guide. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, and Mario Galaxy 2 and NSMBW have already shown that they don't compromise level design for implementing it.

Well this wasn't needed (nor wanted), but the super guide is returning. <_<

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/08/super-guide-returns-in-donkey-kong-country-returns/

A "white super Kong"? :huh:

And the problem is.. what? It's an optional feature made to help more casual players get through what's supposed to be a pretty difficult game. There are literally no problems with this feature at all.

• Thumbs Up 1