Awoo.

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Shaddix Leto Croft

So wait, the deal was literally bananas for the game? That's so insane that it's amazing.

Yep, I couldn't believe the offer at first myself. If you were one of the first 20 people at each of the 3 chosen stores in the UK you could literally get a copy of the game in exchange for a bunch of bananas.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2010/donkey-kong-country-launch-activity_23615_23615.html

GAME normally charge £34.99 for the game, so all 60 free copies have cost Nintendo £2,099.40

Yep, I couldn't believe the offer at first myself. If you were one of the first 20 people at each of the 3 chosen stores in the UK you could literally get a copy of the game in exchange for a bunch of bananas.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2010/donkey-kong-country-launch-activity_23615_23615.html

GAME normally charge £34.99 for the game, so all 60 free copies have cost Nintendo £2,099.40

Dollars, euros, pounds, yen- who needs them? Bananas go UP in value, and are the only stable currency in today's market!

Although how much money in bananas did you spend? I'm a little curious as to whether or not you got your money's worth.

A bunch of bananas would probably just be the standard 5 banana bunch you can buy at the super market. That be would around, what? 1 or 2 GBP considering it's around 2 or 3 USD? If they meant a serious bunch, which is like 20 pounds (weight unit) of bananas, it still wouldn't cost as much as would to buy the game. I don't remember the exact rate of how much bananas cost by pound in the US, so I obviously don't in England, but it's under a dollar per pound, somewhere around 50-70 cents in New England, so I'd assume it's like 40-60 p in England, though maybe more due to fuel costs or whatever. It certainly wouldn't total to 35 GBP for a bunch, though.

Edited due to having Pounds, the currency, and the unit of weight in the same paragraph several times. CONFUSING.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

It could be any bunch of bananas, so I got a packaged bunch from ASDA's (UK's Walmart) cheap Smart Price range, which cost just £1.05 and had 2 bunches in. 1 bunch had 6 and the other had 4, so I gave them the bunch with 6, since one of the guys at the front said he'd heard you need at least a bunch of 5. One of the other guys only brought 3 and so he panicked, so I gave him 2 of my spare 4.

Definitely got my moneys worth :)

EDIT:

Here's some pics from the event at the London store that took part in the event:

screenshot_242726.jpg

screenshot_242728.jpg

screenshot_242727.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=279047

• Thumbs Up 1

SEGA should do something similar for Sonic Anniversary when it comes out: Give up your wedding rings and get it free. =D I'm a genius!

Edited by Santa Cello

hurrr I'm an idiot. I forgot that bananas come in bunches, somehow, despite being very familiar with the term. For some reason I thought you meant a "bunch" as in "a lot."

On another note, I want one of those DK T-shirts. That looks awesome. I probably wouldn't want it yellow though.

It could be any bunch of bananas, so I got a packaged bunch from ASDA's (UK's Walmart) cheap Smart Price range, which cost just £1.05 and had 2 bunches in. 1 bunch had 6 and the other had 4, so I gave them the bunch with 6, since one of the guys at the front said he'd heard you need at least a bunch of 5. One of the other guys only brought 3 and so he panicked, so I gave him 2 of my spare 4.

Definitely got my moneys worth :)

EDIT:

Here's some pics from the event at the London store that took part in the event:

screenshot_242726.jpg

*Me wants that t-shirt* :D.

Anyway, I'm on the 7th "world" and I have to admit, game is not that easy at all.

I saw someone at GAME wearing that DK T-Shirt today, I don't wear videogame related clothe but I still thought it was pretty cool.

Last Monday I did set off to the store to get both this game and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. Even though I was unhappy to return home with only DKCR in my pocket (delivery of Golden Sun copies seems to be scarce and late around here), I have to say, God bless you Retro Studios for finally giving me that challenging platformer title I've been craving for more than a freaking decade!

I mean, an hour ago I finished playing level 5-K, and after almost an hour of attempts and almost 30 lives lost, I nearly cried when I reached the end. I even laughed like a maniac, after all those menacing jumps and barrel blast timings with only 2 hit points... :F

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the fact I can't play as Diddy Kong unless I turn on a 2nd Wii Remote (have nobody to play with except mom and a dog, heh...), it would be nice to be able to shoot some peanuts around as Player 1 alone... That and the lack of an option to set Roll to button 1. Stuff like the weird enemies, the lack of Kremlings and the scenery variety, among other common complaints seen in the reviews, don't bother me in the slightest.

[rant]Actually, and even though I acknowledge people have opinions, I really do question the few mediocre reviews I've seen made by GameFAQs members. Surely, the lack of option to switch between both monkeys as well as the shake controls I can understand, but I don't see what's so bad about the enemies. Did the 4th installment on the Wii really had to be made in SNES-style sprites and with the same villains again? Sure, it's COUNTRY, and yeah, maybe the word RETURNS sounds a bit iffy in this context, but darn, what's the point of a new game if nothing new is introduced...? The visual style in this one is good enough to make me say "This is Donkey Kong", I can tell I'm in a rich and colorful jungle clearly enough. It's like the visual style of the modern days meets the old mechanics.

And that's not to mention the weird habit of people including comparisons with other games all around the review ("similar to NSMBW!!!!"... yeah, I never played NSMBW, stop mashing that button and tell me about the game alone!), but yeah, I won't bother diving into that since it's fan-reviews and GameFAQs and Internet reviews, none of the 3 can't be taken 100% seriously.[/rant off]

Given my gaming pace I should complete all levels by the end of this week. Puzzle pieces and Time Attack should make things last even longer though, so yeah, still quite a bit to do. =P

• 2 weeks later...

post-63-0-11875400-1293643443_thumb.jpg

Looks like Retro still just can't let go of Metroid. Check out the right half of the background and tell me it doesn't look familiar.

• Thumbs Up 1

All that needs to be said about this game is that Retro Studios know their shit.

Seriously. There is no obvious flaw I can point out with the game. Retro revamped DK, and they did it damn well. No other studio is going to do that. I was grinning like a mad man upon the opening level, and I disliked the older DKCs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyway I got it for Christmas and fuck me, Nintendo should really take notes from Retro Studios. NSMB Wii can screw it, this is how you do a modern re-imagining of a 2D game. It's near perfect, I'd possibly rank it as my second GOTY.

Edited by Carbo
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Words can't decribe how fucking awesome this game is. I mean its like going back to 1994, and relearning how fucking hard these games were, I LOVE IT.

See DIMPS, LOOK LOOK THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE A FUCKING SEQUEL TO A CLASSIC SERIES, AND NOT REHASH ANYTHING, TAKE SOME FUCKING NOTES.

Sorry for the rage there.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I just picked this up with my 55 dollars worth of gift cards I hadn't spent from Christmas yet (well, I didn't get 'em till New Years... and I hadn't been near a Best Buy until yesterday) and this game is frickin' awesome. I was debating between this and Sonic Colors, but I'm not sure I really want to buy that game... I've already almost cleared everything in Sonic Colors and it was on a two-day rental from Red Box. I'll probably just do it again later, finishing everything else up, and avoid buying it.

Either way, I definitely like this. I loved the original DKC games to death. Only real complaint: lack of solo playable Diddy SUCKS. Other than that, awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say Retro Studios did a great job on this game! Everything from the music to the gameplay is just fantastic, and there's plenty of challenges and replay value to keep you playing too! One thing for sure, the game isn't easy, and some or the later levels have been kicking my ass with the number of lives lost trying to beat them.

^ Agreed. There are tons of hard levels. Somehow, though, I managed to beat this game 200% since I bought it 1.5 weeks ago. I thought it was two weeks, but it doesn't even appear that is the case. (And I beat it several days ago, too.) Not that I didn't spend 50-100 lives on some levels.

Strangely, in Mirror Mode the last level I completed was actually the Mole Train. Beating that level with 1 heart proved INSANELY difficult. I had to have wasted 100 - 150 ballons on it or more. Although Tiki Tong was hard at first, his Mirror Mode level really wasn't that bad (I spent maybe 3-5 balloons on it... it was third to last, but that's because I went in order). Jagged Jewels was second-worst, I easily spent over 75-100 balloons on that one. I was surprised, actually... I thought Perilous Passage would be the worst (it was the last level I beat in Normal Mode), but I managed to take that one out with only about 5-10 balloons.

And yeah, my main complaint is lack of single-player Diddy Kong. I REALLY wanted to play Diddy solo! Sheesh... Why couldn't it be just like the original where the other one follows you? Rare did it well enough even though Dixie could float with her hair and Diddy/Kiddy couldn't.