Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

There's still reason to hold out hope though. Resident Evil 4 was supposed to be a big thing of being the first ever Nintendo-exclusive Resident Evil game, and then they ported it over to PS2.

It's probably just not profitable to them to be working on two vastly different versions of the game at this point. I doubt the team would have wanted to worry about scaling it down for the 3DS for example, back while the first one was still being developed. The levels are going to need some serious retooling for the 360 especially (the PS3 could at least use sixaxis to control tilt-stuff, kinda like the platforms in NSMBWii that become motion-controllable when standing on them). I mean sure the 360 version could use the SmartGlass but who is actually going to buy that c'mon. They'd still have to either make it Smartglass exclusive or retool anyway for those who don't have it.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Resident Evil 4 is a different scenario as it was part of the Capcom Five which was supposed to not only prove Gamecube's worth as a third-party console, but also strengthen Nintendo's relations with Capcom who at the time were falling out once Playstation hit the market. Capcom pussied out though, and every game that was released apart from P.N.03 was eventually ported, where Gamecube sales were undercut because of the Playstation 2.

Obviously the reasons were mostly because Gamecube wasn't a very third-party friendly console, despite Capcom Five being what was supposed to prove everyone otherwise. It doesn't really fly the same with Legends and Wii U though, as this is a reverse scenario with the game being developed exclusively for a platform that follows the system which churned the fastest and most effective profit from their predecessor.

Downsizing the game and reworking it for other systems is a lot of money and the Legends team is pretty small. There's not much of a financial reason for them to port it to others when that in and of itself can be a lot more costly than profitable. The only console where the full experience could possibly be replicated would be as a Vita+PS3 cross title, but no one's going to buy a Vita just for the sake of playing a game that's probably not going to sell people on an underperforming console, and in the Wii U's case despite it not having any predictable numbers to foresee, the game has the fortunate position of being a launch title. It's definitely going to sell more copies than Origins did in it's first few months.

On the consoles, the Wii version of RO sold the least copies.

On the handhelds, the 3DS Version of RO sold the least copies (just comparing the sales in Europe since it's not out in NA)

Releasing the game exclusively on a system with a userbase that doesn't seem to be interested Rayman and letting it compete against THE 2D plattforming champion Mario himself doesn't seem like a smart move, to be honest.

On the consoles, the Wii version of RO sold the least copies.

On the handhelds, the 3DS Version of RO sold the least copies (just comparing the sales in Europe since it's not out in NA)

Releasing the game exclusively on a system with a userbase that doesn't seem to be interested Rayman and letting it compete against THE 2D plattforming champion Mario himself doesn't seem like a smart move, to be honest.

The initial sales of Rayman Origins were far, far more superior on the Wii. The other consoles didn't pick up until after the game received a multitude of price cuts, and this was after Legends entered development.

Raving Rabbids was an universal failure on everything that wasn't the Wii where it sold really well and launched it's own series, not only because the game was tailored for it almost exclusively, but because it was only decently marketed on the premise of being a Wii launch title, something Rayman Legends is basically going to be doing. Again. And without the heavy payload to go with it.

Reception of Legends so far has been near universal with more people voicing more approval of it being a Wii U exclusive than not being so, and to back down now is a massive waste lest they want to spend all resources on a potential budget price cut outing, which is what the 3DS version was. At this point it makes more sense for it to be on the Wii U than being multiplat. People are finally aware of it, they know it's a fantastic game and they know it's going to be a selling point for the new console.

That and Ubisoft always loves being first who like to hump new Nintendo hardware whenever they have a new console outing.

• Thumbs Up 6

The initial sales of Rayman Origins were far, far more superior on the Wii. The other consoles didn't pick up until after the game received a multitude of price cuts, and this was after Legends entered development.

Wasn't Origins cheaper on Wii? Every time I went to the store after it released, I saw Origins at least ten dollars cheaper on Wii.

If it ever got ported, it wouldn't be anytime soon. I think that rep at E3 must have just been hopeful or had a slip of the tongue.

• 3 weeks later...

Not getting the Wii U? Maybe this will pacify you. Or if you are, it'll tide you over until Legends is out. Ubisoft have just announced Rayman Jungle Run for iOS and Android! Out September 20th

CVG has more info:

The gameplay sounds pretty much like the name suggests: Rayman automatically sprints through each level, players tap to make him jump and hold to hover.

Levels are narrow and the pace is brisk, so players need to respond quickly to clear incoming obstacles. Think of it as Sonic Rush meets Canabalt.

Edited by Blue Blood

Not getting the Wii U? Maybe this will pacify you. Or if you are, it'll tide you over until Legends is out.

Why would something like this pacify me or tide me over until a possible (far from probable) Legends port that may not come out for several years?

I really wish that titles like this would come to consoles and handheld gaming devices that aren't phones. It's a simple game not based around touch. What harm would there be in putting it on PS3, Vita and 3DS? It'll probably use tilt controls for some things so 360 is fair enough, but everything else would be fine.

Why would something like this pacify me or tide me over until a possible (far from probable) Legends port that may not come out for several years?

It wouldn't and I just want to rub it in. Because beggars can't be choosers.

Edited by Blue Blood

http://www.ign.com/v...le-rock-footage

New musical level! From the looks of it so far, I bet there's gonna be several of these. Which is awesome.

They are cool to have once in a while, but several of these? No way.

They are bland as hell and you just have to press right and jump/punch every now and then.

Edited by Tmsp

By several I meant every now and then. And they seem like they are fast-paced enough to make up for the simplicity. I don't see how they're bland.

Eh, to each their own. I just like the idea of platforming in time with the music. Though I guess they would be boring if you're hoping for a level with a bunch of secrets to find.

Holy fuck.

I want a MP3 of that song STRAIGHT INTO MY VEINS.

And the level actually looks KIND of fun, but I wish the game isn't only these kind of levels.

And the level actually looks KIND of fun, but I wish the game isn't only these kind of levels.

I'm sure they won't be that abundant. I'd be surprised if there was more than one music level per world. Perhaps they'll be this game's equivalent to the treasure chest chases in Origins.

EDIT: Oh, also, that music in the new level =

That's....random. But I love rock, so no complaints here.

Edited by Gregzilla

am i the only one grinning stupidly at that footage? i love it.

they have such an amazing sense of humour within their games, i love Ubisoft.

• Thumbs Up 5

Ubisoft Montpellier's games always cause me to grin from ear to ear. They know how to make a game chock full of character and charm without even having a single word uttered.

Edited by King Of Awesome
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the simplicity of that level is partially being due to being the first one of it's kind possibly? All the early levels we've been seeing have been set in a medieval castle haven't they?