Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

So in short:

Pros:

• It's a great sequel to Rayman Origins.
  • Multiplayer is great.
  • Murphy's a lot of fun to use.
  • Music stages.

Cons:

• Long Murphy segment in stage 1 is slightly worrying.
    • Single player is gonna require an AI controlled Rayman.

The demo I played in the shops didn't require an AI controlled Rayman. You could play both available stages in single player with one character. The demo started at the stage select menu with the paintings with that viking girl (forget her name), but you could switch characters.

The demo I played in the shops didn't require an AI controlled Rayman. You could play both available stages in single player with one character. The demo started at the stage select menu with the paintings with that viking girl (forget her name), but you could switch characters.

This demo's kinda like that, except it's got three levels.

After reading your comment, I went back and played it again, this time in singleplayer. The level is called "Teensies in Trouble" and it's the same level that they demoed back in E3, except instead of the music stage at the end, it's just got more castle sections.

There's a point just before you get on the slingshot where you have to make a vine disappear. You have to switch to Murphy for this, so Rayman disappears and an AI-controlled Globox takes over the platforming for remainder of the level, which is a huge majority of it.

I have no idea if that's just a feature of the demo, or if the demo you played will more closely resemble the final game, but that stage forced me to be Murphy.

Again, this was only the first stage. The second two levels didn't need him at all.

Edited by Solly

They must have changed it. In the demo I played, I wasn't forced to play Murphy in that stage, but I was in the other one with the ropes and rotating maze.

I looked at the demo videos in YouTube due to no Wii U DAMN YOU REALITY. Anyway I have to say that the game sure looks like a massive upgrade from Ramen's Oranges Rayman Origins.

But in some points I really prefer the original game.

Mostly because I'm not a big fan of how you get to play as your character properly for 1/3 of Teensies in Troubles and the rest of the level as Murphy. Sounds KIND of lame but I'll wait until the final game releases to see how balanced this is in all the levels.

Also the level selection screen looks gorgeous. And Castle Rock is still sexual as everyday. I wish someone ripped the song for proper listening. :P

ALSO 30-PLAYS-PER-DEMO LIMIT SUCKS.

After playing the demo I honestly have to say that this game has easily vindicated my purchase of the Wii U. This game is fucking gorgeous and somehow manages to play even better than Origins. It does to Origins what DKC2 did to DKC1. Everything is tighter, the environments are livid, the gimmicks are fun and the designs are so much better.

The levels also have a breath of air to them in the sense that, well, they don't necessarily feel like straightforward speedrunning levels any more, and I like that. I feel the urge to be able to traverse these levels again at my own pace. That supposed optional Murphy stage was actually fun and clever as well, I had a blast, and with multiplayer behind that this game shines brighter than ever.

And did I say how fucking gorgeous this game is? I did but I can't stress this enough. It's a visual marvel. Fantastic animations, detailed and colorful areas, I just love it, and it doesn't even need vectors to look awesome; it's stunning. Games like these and Mirror's Edge just continues to prove that graphical fidelity isn't merely raw horsepower.

It's a damn shame that this game didn't come out for the Wii U launch because now I'm all the more impatient to get my hands on it, but if they're polishing on what they've already got, it's definitely going to be a must-have. It feels so good to play and if you have a Wii U, you need to get it, because you're going to be missing out.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was nice to play this in my own time and try out 1-player on the Murphy-heavy stage (as well as the second stage as that isn't in the public demo pods). The AI is really good, I like how it intelligently seeks out secrets as long as you open the way to them in time.

Mostly agreed with Carbo's thoughts basically.

Also hnnnng I adore the music during the first segment of Toad Story. Like, those backing strings are one of my favourite musical things. I hope the rest of the game has gorgeous music for the quiet sections like that.

The composer is Christophe Heral, so it's going to have a lot of that type of music. Loved that guy's work since I first heard it in Beyond Good & Evil.

The composer is Christophe Heral, so it's going to have a lot of that type of music. Loved that guy's work since I first heard it in Beyond Good & Evil.

I love music composers that understand that just because a game has wacky gameplay, it doesn't mean that pretty music won't fit with a pretty level.

Mario's music guys should learn well.  >8U

Toad Story's music is beautiful.  The atmosphere is pretty much perfect.  That's exactly what I thought Origins was missing.

My only complaint is the Murphy gameplay.  Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but when the game forced me to be him, I couldn't help but think it would have been more fun to just run 'n jump like usual.  Though hasn't it been said that this gameplay is optional in the game?  I hope that's still true.

Still, everything else is top-notch.  Can't wait to get my hands on the finished product.

Last time people asked, Ubisoft Montpelier said the Murphy stages were still optional, and not as numerous as the standard stages.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the stage was just added to show off the Gamepad features. I'm sure you can play through the game with a Pro controller so that would mean the stages would have to be optional/murphy is optional.

• 1 month later...

Rayman Legends was just confirmed to come to the 360 and PS3.

Well, it looks like you guys already know it.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

So how will they implement Murfy? You could control him with an analog stick, sure, but the music stages require some fast tapping that you can't do with an analogstick. o:

So it's gone back to being multiplatform? Yay, I don't have to go with my original plan of buying a WiiU just for it! Wait, a September release date?.... Ehh... Don't know whether I should splurge now or wait then.

That tweet made it sound like only the multiplat versions were delayed. The WiiU version is too? 

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about my decision for awhile then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed with Carbo, delaying the game to September when it was practically done is absolutely unacceptable. It being multiplatform doesn't matter, but this is absolute garbage. Fuck you, Ubisoft.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well since people are asking in the statuses and no one's getting an answer, where does it say the Wii-U version is being delayed?