Awoo.

The Rayman Topic: Last Game - Rayman Legends

Shaddix Leto Croft

I tried Rayman 1 on PSN and it was terrible... utterly unfair difficulty. I quit after failing on Band Land like 10 times in a row. That level will Just. Not. End.

Also was utterly generic with no personality. "Mr. Dark"? Really?

Probably doesn't help that Rayman 3 was my first Rayman game. Number 2 felt a little dull and lifeless as a result as well.

I tried Rayman 1 on PSN and it was terrible... utterly unfair difficulty. I quit after failing on Band Land like 10 times in a row. That level will Just. Not. End.

Also was utterly generic with no personality. "Mr. Dark"? Really?

Probably doesn't help that Rayman 3 was my first Rayman game. Number 2 felt a little dull and lifeless as a result as well.

It is always interesting how different introductions to a series can have a huge impact on what you think of it. Until the DSi release of Rayman 1, I had only played the first game and only when I was very young. It was difficult just to get past Bzzit. The Nintendo-hard aspect of the game is what I came to love most about the gameplay and don't find (much of) it to be cheap. So there's the change in gameplay and everything else that makes me not like the sequel so much. It's quite like what SA2 did with the Sonic series I suppose.

The funny thing is I'm almost certain that Rayman 1 has been completely retconned out of existence. The only character that remains from that game is Betilla, and Rayman Origins feels like a Rayman 1 reboot built around the Knowledge of The Yellow Lums segment from Rayman 2.

The funny thing is I'm almost certain that Rayman 1 has been completely retconned out of existence. The only character that remains from that game is Betilla, and Rayman Origins feels like a Rayman 1 reboot built around the Knowledge of The Yellow Lums segment from Rayman 2.

A shame that it was retconned, a marvel that Origins is going back to all that. It's cool to see (who seems to be) Betilla returning, along with the Linvingstones. Hopefully The Magician and other forgotten aspects are rewritten, too.

Rayman 3 was to me probably the best in the series, and I advise everyone to give it a try. Yes, I liked it over both previous titles, so sue me. :P That's not to say I didn't like the first two, oh no not at all, but I honestly prefer it over the other two because it withstands itself as a well-aged, funny and incredibly fun video game. Rayman 1 has aged well too but the difficulty level is irritating, and Rayman 2... hasn't aged that well, although it's still fun to play and has a good story.

Btw, this is brilliant news. I can't wait to get a hold of this in stores! Now only if they would release some more footage already; it's been more than a year's worth of waiting.

Edited by Azukara

Wow, the retail release news does indeed explain the blackout. That's nice to hear, as I'd rather have a full retail release rather than an episodic downloadable release.

Except I said 2D games, not 3D...

Rayman: Raving Rabbids on DS was a 2D side-scroller.

Don't forget the GBA versions of Rayman 3 and Rayman Raving Rabbids, both of which were 2D side-scrollers as well. Point is, there have been quite a few new 2D games in the series, while we haven't gotten a new 3D platforming game since 2003. And as much as a fan of both 2D and 3D Rayman I am, I'd love to see another 3D platformer after all this time.

Wow, the retail release news does indeed explain the blackout. That's nice to hear, as I'd rather have a full retail release rather than an episodic downloadable release.

Don't forget the GBA versions of Rayman 3 and Rayman Raving Rabbids, both of which were 2D side-scrollers as well. Point is, there have been quite a few new 2D games in the series, while we haven't gotten a new 3D platforming game since 2003. And as much as a fan of both 2D and 3D Rayman I am, I'd love to see another 3D platformer after all this time.

I'm certainly not forgetting those, but I was talking about the DS. :P

Wow, I can't believe I almost forgot about this game. And a full retail release? Hell yeah! Time to add another game to the "must buy" list.

IGN is really on their shit this year.

With over a dozen core games and spin-offs, Rayman is an enduring franchise. And the most recent issue of Game Informer magazine, issue #218, has a bunch of new information concerning the upcoming title Rayman Origins. Game Informer writer Annette Gonzalez's piece puts together everything she learned about Rayman Origins when she recently saw the game in action.

Rayman Origins is a 2D game being developed by Ubisoft Montpellier, and was originally supposed to be a downloadable title that would get episodic releases (very similar to the technique SEGA is using with its new downloadable title, Sonic the Hedgehog 4). But somewhere in development, it was decided that Rayman Origins would be a full-fledged retail release.

Gonzalez describes a game that's "more accessible, but still challenging," thus keeping both the Rayman purists happy (with their expectation of severe difficulty), and allowing newcomers to play the game without hurling a controller through a nearby window. The article confirms that a majority of the game can be played with two buttons (and presumably an analog stick for movement), though the trigger and d-pad will come in as the game gets more complicated.

Game Informer issue #218 revealed Rayman Origins.

Game Informer also confirms that Rayman Origins is quite literally an origin story, where "characters and references from past titles" will be used liberally, and where outstanding questions about characters, references and events can be answered. But prior knowledge isn't required. "It's more of a rebirth than a sequel," Ubisoft's Gabrielle Shrager told Game Informer. "There are Easter eggs for fans, but it's also a complete reintroduction for new kids. Anyone who's never played the game will have no trouble getting immersed."

Also confirmed is the appearance of plenty of in-game collectibles to find, speed runs to complete, and challenges to overcome. Characters will be upgradeable, and there will be in-game currency that will help achieve that end. Rayman Origins will also support four-player local multiplayer, which encourages both cooperation and competition. There's no word yet on if Rayman Origins will support any sort of online multiplayer.

Rayman Origins is set for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and should come out this holiday season. Check out Annette Gonzalez's much more in-depth look of the game in Game Informer Issue #218.

There's hope for us Wii owners yet!

Please let this be real...

Oh gawd I'm going to be broke then XD I wasn't expecting a Wii Ware version but a retail version is more possible now so It must be real and I haven't seen that artwork before.

51tcwkrmjeL.jpg

Dat cover is awesome though <3 =D.

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

Gah, ninja'd.

Glad to see Wii hopefully getting the game.

Edited by PC the Hedgehog

In depth tour at Ubi Montpellier. Thanks much to TimmiT at Retro for the heads up.

4532.kiddrawing.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

8030.teamfourtress.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

51XGMLBnHLL.jpg61L1BBJFkzL.jpg51tcwkrmjeL.jpg

Motherfuckin' BAND LANDDDD

Also, apparently the GI issue confirms Mr. Dark is in the game. If so, I guess this really is a semi re-imagining/reboot/re-whatever of Rayman 1.

We need scans of this.

EDIT: A french mag is getting a preview of this.

225426_201405503229633_186167361420114_468569_2132921_n.jpg

Hard to think that we were lacking news for so many months and suddenly we're bombarded with this.

Edited by Carbo

In depth tour at Ubi Montpellier. Thanks much to TimmiT at Retro for the heads up.

4532.kiddrawing.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

8030.teamfourtress.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

51XGMLBnHLL.jpg61L1BBJFkzL.jpg51tcwkrmjeL.jpg

Motherfuckin' BAND LANDDDD

Also, apparently the GI issue confirms Mr. Dark is in the game. If so, I guess this really is a semi re-imagining/reboot/re-whatever of Rayman 1.

We need scans of this.

EDIT: A french mag is getting a preview of this.

225426_201405503229633_186167361420114_468569_2132921_n.jpg

Hard to think that we were lacking news for so many months and suddenly we're bombarded with this.

And my pre-order is official.

I'll probably get the PS3 version, but it's pretty awesome that the Wii is actually getting it. I think switching to full retail is the best thing they could have done.

spongebobwallet.jpg

How many games are on my list of "MUST BUY ASAP" now? Rayman Origins is still alive (and for retail!) and that means my money must be given to them now. No exceptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's great that Rayman could be coming to the Wii, but my main concern is if they'll integrate online multiplayer sometime down the line.

Also, Mr. Dark is back? Awesome!

OH CRAP A RETAIL RELEASE?! THANK GOD AND GOSH!!!

Seriously, I'm pleased right now. I hate the Idea of Episodic games, (I have to wait a long time and I am freaking impatient) so to hear that this game is a full one pleases me very much.

Whats this? The return of Mr. Dark too? HELL YES.

Looks like that GameStop list and the leaked Wii box art was right on the money:

Rayman: Origins for Wii is a leaked E3 surprise

May 12, 2011 by RawmeatCowboy Filed Under: Wii

You know how we found out about Rayman: Origins coming to Wii through GameStop, and then an official boxart popped up? It turns out that that leak ruined an E3 surprise for Ubisoft.

"Rayman Origins will also be released as a retail-game for Wii, eventhough this is/was supposed to be a surprise for this year's E3." - Ubisoft rep

While I'm sad to see one of the company's surprises was leaked, I'm still wondering why Ubisoft is pretending the DS version isn't happening. Thanks to Dragoon for the heads up!

Link

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=157973

No official word on the DS version GameStop also listed.

Wouldn't a 3DS version be more likely? Just saying.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Wouldn't a 3DS version be more likely? Just saying.

Would be cool if they could bring it to both, but the GameStop lists had it down for only Wii and DS on Nintendo platforms. The game wasn't on their 3DS list.

I still don't like the 'new/old' design/ style for Rayman. =/

It's a new design?

Looks like his Rayman 3 design to me, only hand drawn.

Which is a design I absolutely adore. I'll be perfectly honest - I think the very first design, while having it's good amount of charm, is not nearly as endearing and expressive as his modern iteration. They've managed to make him so expansive, recognizable and adaptable.

Edited by Carbo

I still don't like the 'new/old' design/ style for Rayman. =/

lolclassicrayman

Really ? What is so different from Rayman 1 design from Origins design other than his belly not being more round *i think idk* than in Rayman 1

He has had this design from Rayman 2 since 1999 so what makes it so special to point out his design out cuz it's hip and cool cuz Sonic fans do it ? meh I'll never understand bottom line is Rayman looks the same since Rayman 1 just more goofy and less cute than his Rayman 1 artwork

Edited by Shaddix Leto Croft

I personally like Rayman's new design better than the first and second. Don't really know why, but it's been my favorite since Rayman 3.