Awoo.

Sonic 3DS

Badnik Mechanic

I actually hope it's more like Colors except with new hot 3Dness. Wasn't that game just rubbing really quick to make Sonic run faster through an empty environment? :/

I can see there being a game in the vein of Sonic Rush, but with 3D effects of course, and a behind-the-back experience for a special stage, which very well may utilize the accelerometer.

But that's my guess.

I actually hope it's more like Colors except with new hot 3Dness. Wasn't that game just rubbing really quick to make Sonic run faster through an empty environment? :/

Yep just rub the touch screen to make Sonic go faster but it was only a tech demo to show off the DS back in 04, most fans would of hated it for it controls any if it was a serious release I mean who wants to run through a lifeless area on rails game rubbing the touch screen over and over and over again just to get through the Seaside hill lookalike ? lol though graphics looked pretty awesome for the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bCefT3uKHs&feature=related

I would like a Unleashed/Colours type game too on the 3DS would look really awesome but I'm doubting Iizuka will do that for the 3DS Unleashed game play probably something else

So something like this in 3D yeah I'll be down for some 3D Sonic games on the go but I really hope they don't give up on 2D Sonic's though for the DS/3DS

While it would be fun to finally play that, I definitely wouldn't want to spend 30-40 dollars on a game just to rub the screen.

I'm hoping for gameplay in the vein of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Edited by Edge

While it would be fun to finally play that, I definitely wouldn't want to spend 30-40 dollars on a game just to rub the screen.

While I was just talking about the behind the back style Sonic type of game I wasn't really talking about the gameplay of that tech demo just using it as an example and who would buy that crap anyway XD :P we don't have to worry about buying that game anyway being a crap tech demo from 6 years ago heh .

Yep just rub the touch screen to make Sonic go faster but it was only a tech demo to show off the DS back in 04, most fans would of hated it for it controls any if it was a serious release I mean who wants to run through a lifeless area on rails game rubbing the touch screen over and over and over again just to get through the Seaside hill lookalike ? lol though graphics looked pretty awesome for the game

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

I would like a Unleashed/Colours type game too on the 3DS would look really awesome but I'm doubting Iizuka will do that for the 3DS Unleashed game play probably something else

and Rom have? T_T'

If there's a DS version of Sonic Colours, perhaps this 3DS game will be a version of the "Big game for 2011"?

That would be suicide.

There would be a very small user-base for the 3DS at that point in time.

Yes its the DS, but given the tech involved, its not going to be cheap, so its install-base would be limited compared with a standard multiplatform game for the current home consoles.

Plus, it would piss a lot of people off.

Regardless of how good Colours is, nobody would want to buy a remake for a handheld a year after the original's launch.

You misunderstood him. He doesn't mean Colors for 3DS, he means Sonic's 20th anniversary game for 3DS.

Also, Nintendog+Cats is coming for 3DS. It's user-base will be big xD

Edited by MarcelloF

Finally some sort of an update, even if only a small one. GoNintendo says it's a statement from the previous issue of Nintendo Power:

Takashi Izuka – Producer, Sonic Team:

“At Sonic Team, we’re already studying the Nintendo 3DS. We’re very interested in the platform. We think the depth of 3D could really help the sense of speed, especially when you’re playing Sonic from behind-the-back perspective.”

Oh and here's one from Yuji Naka for anyone interested:

Yuji Naka – President and CEO, Prope:

“My first impressions are very good. To be honest, I was really surprised. Nintendo kept this hidden for a long time; a lot of the creators I spoke to hadn’t seen it until [E3]. Everyone was surprised by how many featured are packed into the hardware – the two cameras, the motion sensor, the gyroscope, etc. I would love to create something using all of those tools. Before I went to E3, I was kind of skeptical. But now that I’ve held it and played it, I’m just blown away. The graphics performance is really impressive, as well. So I definitely want to be involved in making something for it.”

More from various other devs here:

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134417

Behind the back perspective ay? Could we be seeing a 3D Sonic on the go? Maybe an Unleashed game on handheld? Speculate away my fellow fans, but remember Iizuka's only talking concepts here :P

I'd rather have a 2D game. Rush 3 would be great, because I liked the stories and Blaze..

I think Handhelds should be getting 2D games and stationary consoles 3D.

If they go with a behind-the-back perspective, I think it would be cool if they had grass and debris jump out of the screen at you when Sonic’s running at top speed.

Hmmm well to be precise...

What should be in 3D with the handheld consols and what shouln'd?

First of all.... Sonic.... duh... ¬.¬

Then we can agree on the rings, boxes and bumpers.

Maybe some special areas should be in 3D like they did with SR & SRA:

The giant yet bumpy mushrooms in Plant Kingdom

Water Slides in Water Palace

Wooden turbines thingy in Water Palace Zone

The spinning contraption in Night Carnival

The mine cart in Coral Cave

Those kinds of stuff are okay in 3D while the rest is in 3D.

.. the badniks too... almost forgot em.

As much as the Rush series is awesome..It would be (In my opinion) better if it was 3D, using the 3DS's power while not taking advantage of the 3D would be a waste, maybe they could make a game like unleashed or colors, but behind the back would give heck of a feeling of speed. Also, SA or SA2 on the 3DS would be plain awesome, im sure the system is capable of having enough power for both of the games, it would be the first time one of those two games become portable!

This should prove to be an interesting game, and perhaps sonic will once again be a game for other developers to learn from.

• 2 weeks later...

A very small update here from TSSZ: http://www.tssznews.com/2010/09/17/tgs-interview-takashi-iizuka/

Danny: A Sonic game is listed to come out for the Nintendo 3DS – can you tell us anything more about it? Is it going to be a 2D side-scrolling game, for example?

Iizuka-san: Unfortunately we can’t say too much about the Sonic 3DS game. What we can say for now is that we’re trying to release this game as soon as possible.

Perhaps a downloadable port of Sonic 4: Episode 1 (& 2)? Just an idea... the 3DS will probably have internal memory like the DSi, so downloadable content should probably be no problem. But yeah, lets see what they´ll do with that little device.

Based on the quote I'm guessing the game isn't coming any time soon. The fact that they won't even give us basic information says that the game is probably very early in the development process.

Perhaps a downloadable port of Sonic 4: Episode 1 (& 2)? Just an idea... the 3DS will probably have internal memory like the DSi, so downloadable content should probably be no problem. But yeah, lets see what they´ll do with that little device.

This is definitely not the case. As stated earlier in the topic, the game is most likely going to be a behind-the-back Sonic game, not a 2.5D sidescroller. Sonic 4 has no 3D (you know what I mean) segments in episode 1, and will mostly remain that way in future episodes.

Edited by Shade Vortex

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, the 3DS has enough ports and remakes already. Cool as some of them are, the novelty of it starts to wear off when you get past bazillion.

I am crossing my fingers really hard for Sonic Rush 3DS, I mean cmon, the tittle writes itself.