Awoo.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

Swiss

Shit man, I put out a warning about that a while back. I'm going to put it here, just so people know. Replace your jump stickers with Iron Jump stickers in the final battle. Just do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shit man, I put out a warning about that a while back. I'm going to put it here, just so people know. Replace your jump stickers with Iron Jump stickers in the final battle. Just do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope they go back to the old system for the next PM game. It just sounds like badges are WAY more practical than stickers.

Edited by Mega

Shit man, iron jump stickers work? Well fuck, I had alot of them too, but was forced to use them thanks to Kamek........

No seriously, fuck Kamek. I hope he dies a much more painful death in the next game if he ever comes back.

The credits was cute, though I'm disappointed by (other then alot of things) the use of Luigi in this game.

The best character in the entire series reduced to a few cameos. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

And we all have Miyamoto to thank for that. :/ I hope his retirement allows IS a bit more freedom next game.

EDIT: And to be clear, I still do want to try this game! That way I can form my own opinion and such.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 1

So should I still get this game?

In the end, it was an unpleasant experience for me. I tried making myself believe that the game was getting better and better, I honestly did try to love this game, but I just can't ignore all these major flaws.

I actually had more fun playing NSMB2 then Sticker Star. It's hard to believe this, but even with the re-hased music, unoriginality, and easy difficulty, at least I had a fun time playing it. Sticker Star though, just left me with that bad taste in my mouth throughout the entire game.

IMO the status for the PM games haven't changed,

TTYD>PM64>SPM

I'm not sure if too include Sticker Star near these games because of how unpleasant I found it. I'm not even joking.

That being said, I am looking forward to the next PM or M&L entry. It's been a few years so we should be hearing something about new M&L at E3. My biggest fear though, is Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. It looks like such a fantastic game, and I am truly hoping that Miyamoto does not mess up with that game. I've been waiting too long for a sequel to LM, it needs to be good.

EDIT: And to be clear, I still do want to try this game! That way I can form my own opinion and such.

By all means go ahead. Other people here seem to love this game, you'll probably like it too. You'll never know if you don't play it. Me though, I found this game just unpleasant.

Yeah, the final battle was a real anticlimax. Bowser was healing his shit so often I wasn't even sure if it was a "supposed-to-lose fight." Seriously, I actually threw so many super-powerful stickers his way in the first few moves I actually managed to "kill" him before he moved to the second segment, but the game didn't let his bar go below 10 HP. This is not logical gameplay- if I manage to beat your system the way it's designed to be used, you should either fucking acknowledge that or change it altogether. It actually took me a few tries to understand how exactly the last part was supposed to work. "Oh, I'm supposed to deflect the chain chomp to knock Bowser off the platform. Thanks for letting me waste 50 fucking stickers before that became the apparent solution."

Yeah, this was probably by biggest discontent with the game; battles built with this force composition-based structure shouldn't have unilateral "solutions." That seems to be what the game was trying to do with the boss and mini-boss battles, trying to make them more puzzle-like in nature like traditional Paper Mario bosses are to an extent, but the issue here is that the game couldn't guarantee you HAD that move. This was the same problem I had with Deus Ex: Human Revolution; the general design entertained whatever upgrades you chose very effectively on the field, but when it came to the boss fights, you were funneled down to one strategy, whether you were built for it or not.

And another thing- they seriously didn't even have a shop, recovery heart or even so much as a save point between Kamek and Bowser? No one on the team thought players might want to get back the stickers they lost in that fight with Kamek without having to trek back to Decalburg?

Well, so far, I made it to the first boss and I must say, I'm very surprised by how it so quickly trounced me. This is the first time I got my butt whooped by a Goomba, of all things...

Source.

Aoyama

After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.

Tanabe

I had heard that at first Miyamoto-san said that something like an RPG would be fine, so for a while I thought that something like the previous one would be fine.

Iwata

That must have meant that you hadn't done much that was new.

Tanabe

Right. So we wondered what to do. Then the idea of using stickers came up. Originally, the plan was to use stickers here and there for solving puzzles on the overall map and so forth, but then we thought, "If we're gonna do that, then we might as well use stickers for the whole thing, including battles," and we decided to begin rethinking the game mechanics. "

"Iwata

Listening to you talk, it sounds like Miyamoto-san was a scary presence for the team.

Aoyama

Yeah, he was! (laughs) "

"Iwata

Miyamoto-san really persevered with Paper Mario this time. Exactly what was he particular about?

Tanabe

Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

Iwata

That's a difficult task. In some ways that would be the exact opposite direction from recent games in the series.

Tanabe

Yeah. With regard to the story, we did a survey over the Super Paper Mario game in Club Nintendo, and not even 1% said the story was interesting. A lot of people said that the Flip move for switching between the 3D and 2D dimensions was fun.

Club Nintendo doesn't even ask about story specifically. What he means is that only 1% of people bothered to mention the story at all, but who even goes as far as commenting on the story when they fill out those surveys?

Anyway, they were developing a game like the The Thousand Year Door before Miyamoto screwed everything over (again) because it wasn't original enough. Because Nintendo strives for originality.

I still think it's a case of damned if they do damned if they don't. I've seen people complain about the games not being different enough, and then screaming "THEY CHANGED IT, NOW IT SUCKS" far too often.

Seriously. An RPG not needing a story? In what kinda backwards dimension? ._.

Nintendo proving its innovative game mechanics once more.

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon looks great as I have seen in the trailers but this is starting to worry me. Would the push back for that game have to do with Miyamoto's hammer of unorginiality.?

Do they really expect the Club Nintendo surverys to be answered honestly and do they expect people to into detail about the specifics of a game after already asking the same generic questions every time you register a single game?

Got the game and was very disappointed. The battles are essentially useless as you get coins instead of XP and the coins you get are used to spend on more stickers to get more coins and buy more stickers because your constantly depleting them on battles that literally mean nothing to progress through the game. Its more puzzlish than an RPG and I got stuck not too far into the game. I have WAY more games to play and stuff to accomplish so I put this game on the backburner of playing it whenever. I am impressed however by the graphics being perfect in 3D at the highest setting as well as the charming humor the writers put in. Heck, they even put in Kamek, Bowser's step-father and technically the first nemeisis of Mario(and Yoshi) who was practically begging to be put into the Paper Mario series but was unfortunately hindered by the fact that they put Kammy Koopa, who is merely a source of comic relief, as well as the other half of Bowser's brain. I hated Kammy Koopa, she made the story seem less serious(by Mario standards) and doesnt exist in any other games and no Super Mario Galaxy 2 doesnt count. I still plan on beating the game but unfortunately im gonna have to use a Wiki which I almost never do to games.

And we all have Miyamoto to thank for that. :/ I hope his retirement allows IS a bit more freedom next game.

Why on earth would Miyamoto want rid of Luigi? That makes zero sense considering the last few years.

Do they really expect the Club Nintendo surverys to be answered honestly and do they expect people to into detail about the specifics of a game after already asking the same generic questions every time you register a single game?

I just put "Cool" or "Meh" in all the boxes and select the multi answer things at random.

Not like they give a shit about the feedback anyways, they just do whatever the hell they want.

....So what's the verdict on this game anyway?

From what I've seen, with this game, you either love it or hate it.