Awoo.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

DistantJ

I'm rather miffed that my copy didn't arrive today. This is the first time a GAME preorder didn't arrive early, and it was shipped on the 14th! Ah well, no biggie.

Will be Interresting to see impressions from someone who hasn't played it. Or give it a second chance or something, dunno what you said exactly.

Will be Interresting to see impressions from someone who hasn't played it. Or give it a second chance or something, dunno what you said exactly.

Something like a hundredth change I think :P

Blue Blood was saying that he's annoyed his copy of the game didn't arrive early. He ordered his copy from a retailer called GAME (yes it's spelt in capitals), who people often get goods delivered from a day before release day.

Blue Blood was saying that he's annoyed his copy of the game didn't arrive early. He order his copy from a retailer called GAME (yes it's spelt in capitals), who people often get goods delivered from a day before release day.

I was referring to the 64 game.

Oh man, this seems REALLY obvious but it still made me a little squeee moment:

(Again, only minor update related spoilers, nothing new-new).

Because it's no longer pre-rendered, the Market can be dawn-ish or dusk-ish, not just solid day or night. 8D

I was referring to the 64 game.

Oh ^_^'

Oh man, this seems REALLY obvious but it still made me a little squeee moment:

(Again, only minor update related spoilers, nothing new-new).

Because it's no longer pre-rendered, the Market can be dawn-ish or dusk-ish, not just solid day or night. 8D

That's awesome.

Oh, I will say there is just ONE thing that has bothered me. The way they remapped the ocarina controls does mean veteran players will have to "relearn" all the songs. Zelda's lullaby isn't just Left Up Right anymore. It's Up, Right, Left (in terms of the XYA buttons). Of course new players won't even tell the difference. Thankfully having all the songs viewable with a tap of a button WHILE playing the ocarina sure helps.

Ocarina was just an insipid, clunky, slow and dull hack-'n'-slash RPG with very little that made it any more interesting than its predecessors, apart from being rendered in polygonal 3D - once the sensory shock of seeing a Legend of Zelda title in 3D wears off, there isn't really all that much about it that's all that fun. Of course, if plodding around repetitiously boring landscapes slashing mindlessly at hordes of raging enemies for hours on end floats your boat, then you probably have pretty good reason to love it. And really, the fuss people make over it being a "masterpiece", or "the best game ever", or even hailing it as "the ultimate 3D RPG" could be describable quite simply as "just a lot of overblown hot air" - it's not so much that the game has aged worse than a girder in a pool of acid than that it wasn't really ever all that good in the first place.

"Overrated" is a severe understatement.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 24

Ocarina was just an insipid, clunky, slow and dull hack-'n'-slash RPG with very little that made it any more interesting than its predecessors, apart from being rendered in polygonal 3D - once the sensory shock of seeing a Legend of Zelda title in 3D wears off, there isn't really all that much about it that's all that fun. Of course, if plodding around repetitiously boring landscapes slashing mindlessly at hordes of raging enemies for hours on end floats your boat, then you probably have pretty good reason to love it. And really, the fuss people make over it being a "masterpiece", or "the best game ever", or even hailing it as "the ultimate 3D RPG" could be describable quite simply as "just a lot of overblown hot air" - it's not so much that the game has aged worse than a girder in a pool of acid than that it wasn't really ever all that good in the first place.

I've never seen anyone call it the "ultimate 3D RPG." This is probably because the game ISN'T AN RPG AT ALL, but whatever.

And did you really come here just to say this? I respect that you're just expressing your opinion, but is anything good going to come from making a post like this?

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 5

RPG... hordes of enemies... sorry what game were you playing?

Nothing wrong with disliking things, but only a fool would think that a game that has sold MILLIONS and gained near-universal praise is "bad".

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 4

O: One could then also say that the only reason Sonic Adventure was any fun at the start was because it was 3D, then after that initial shock wore off, it was just going really fast down a linear track (as most characters) at hyperspeeds, encountering derp glitches and then taking a break to go fishing. Then one could argue that Sonic Adventure is actually a fishing sim because it has those elements in it, rather than an action...platformer? (Of course, I wouldn't actually mean any of that since I adore Sonic Adventure, but the point still stands.)

Ocarina of Time was and is hella fun in my opinion. I mean, you can not like it too, but I mean, I don't think it'd bode well for you to come in here and tell us this game we're all hyping up/playing through/loved in the past is mega overrated and that it's really a terrible game. The gameplay's slightly dated now that Twilight Princess, Windwaker, etc have improved upon it, but not THAT much. xD (The only thing I can think of that I'd want in OoT3D from Twilight Princess is swinging the sword while running.)

TL;DR: lolwut?

EDIT: RIGHT! I can't bloody wait to get my hands on the game this Sunday =D I actually don't have a 3DS game yet, so I've been playing DS games exclusively on it so far. But yeah, JezMM, is Navi as annoying as those previews say she is? What I mean is... does she really interrupt gameplay to tell you to take a break, or to use hint stones, without you clicking the "Navi" button?

Edited by Aptiva

EDIT: RIGHT! I can't bloody wait to get my hands on the game this Sunday =D I actually don't have a 3DS game yet, so I've been playing DS games exclusively on it so far. But yeah, JezMM, is Navi as annoying as those previews say she is? What I mean is... does she really interrupt gameplay to tell you to take a break, or to use hint stones, without you clicking the "Navi" button?

She's only told me to take a break once so far. And the text scrolls way faster than the original, so even her mandatory speeches are less annoying than before. It seems that it recognises when you close the 3DS as "taking a break" because I often play in short bursts like that and... yeah, she's only told me to take a break once. She's never once recommended hint movies to me, (The Great Deku Tree tells you about them before he dies now and that's it - it also gives you the option to watch them if you get a Game Over), but then I've played the game a bazillion times so I don't think I've hung around enough at any point to make the game think I'm stuck.

I'm so glad I waited for this to be my first proper 3DS game though. It's so cool to look at. My only gripe with 3D is that when the camera suddenly cuts to something close up in a cut-scene it takes a second for your eyes to catch-up (just like it would in real life). Several of the cut-scenes have been reworked to avoid such angles and sudden cuts, but not all (for example, a hanging rope during the moment of learning the Song of Storms is a little too close to the camera for my liking - gave me double vision, like holding an object right up to your face).

Edited by JezMM

RPG... hordes of enemies... sorry what game were you playing?

Agreed. eXtaticus, have you played OoT recently enough to truly remember it? I don't care if anyone doesn't like it, and I even kind of agree that it's overrated. (It's a fantastic game, but I think just about every console Zelda that came afterwards surpassed it) But...an action RPG where all you do is fight enemies? It's like calling Grand Theft Auto a straight-up racing game, or saying Metroid is the same thing as Contra.

Edited by Speederino

Ocarina was just an insipid, clunky, slow and dull hack-'n'-slash RPG with very little that made it any more interesting than its predecessors, apart from being rendered in polygonal 3D - once the sensory shock of seeing a Legend of Zelda title in 3D wears off, there isn't really all that much about it that's all that fun. Of course, if plodding around repetitiously boring landscapes slashing mindlessly at hordes of raging enemies for hours on end floats your boat, then you probably have pretty good reason to love it.

You have never played OoT. At least for more than seven seconds. It's pretty painfully obvious.

Because this is literally the exact opposite of what it is.

You do know Zelda games put puzzles before combat, right? Even the combat is usually some sort of puzzle. This isn't so much like calling Metroid the same as Contra, as much as it's like saying Mario is Halo.

• Thumbs Up 5

She's only told me to take a break once so far. And the text scrolls way faster than the original, so even her mandatory speeches are less annoying than before. It seems that it recognises when you close the 3DS as "taking a break" because I often play in short bursts like that and... yeah, she's only told me to take a break once. She's never once recommended hint movies to me, (The Great Deku Tree tells you about them before he dies now and that's it - it also gives you the option to watch them if you get a Game Over), but then I've played the game a bazillion times so I don't think I've hung around enough at any point to make the game think I'm stuck.

I'm so glad I waited for this to be my first proper 3DS game though. It's so cool to look at. My only gripe with 3D is that when the camera suddenly cuts to something close up in a cut-scene it takes a second for your eyes to catch-up (just like it would in real life). Several of the cut-scenes have been reworked to avoid such angles and sudden cuts, but not all (for example, a hanging rope during the moment of learning the Song of Storms is a little too close to the camera for my liking - gave me double vision, like holding an object right up to your face).

Ah! So I take it that her "Take a break!" speech is not a mandatory one? It'll just keep spamming "NAVI... NAVI... NAVI..." at the bottom of the screen? if so, I can ignore that. xD! And ah! Closing the 3DS you say... Maybe I'll just close the lid every so often. And I'm glad she hasn't decided to tell you to take a hint every five seconds. Interesting that the Deku Tree's death speech was added to. =O

And judging by the trailer, OoT3D is the first time I've ever been able to perceive 3D evar, so perhaps I'll actually try to play it in 3D at times! =D Frikkin A, I can't wait for this game. xD...

BTW, can you at least fast forward through the stupid owl's dialogue now? I've always hated how you can't even speed it up like you can when anyone else is talking, and everything he tells you is absolutely useless after your first playthrough. And the text formed so sloooooowly at the default speed. (Slow for me, anyways. People tell me I read insanely fast)

Good to hear. The trailer absolutely raped my eyes.

BTW, can you at least fast forward through the stupid owl's dialogue now? I've always hated how you can't even speed it up like you can when anyone else is talking, and everything he tells you is absolutely useless after your first playthrough. And the text formed so sloooooowly at the default speed. (Slow for me, anyways. People tell me I read insanely fast)

o_o you couldn't? I recall mashing on B and getting through the dialogue super quick! ... Huuh!

EDIT: YEAH! Actually yes, because I'd get to the question part where he asks if he should repeat what he's said, and then since I'd press B, it'd pick "yes" as if I didn't understand what he said, and then repeat forever. xD;!

Edited by Aptiva

Alright, maybe you could get the text to go a bit faster, I'm really not all that sure. But you definitely couldn't hold the button in and speed through it lightning fast like you can with typical NPC's, that much I'm sure of. Because I too recall having that problem, though part of me thinks I might have just been tapping B out of desperation.

Just heading to the castle to meet Zelda now, but quitting since I have to leave for work soon.

So far, so good. The 3D works brilliantly, far better than in any other 3DS game I've played so far. It feels a lot more natural and doesn't make my eyes feel as weird. Admittedly it still kicked in slightly after a while, but this is the first game where I've actually been able to play with the 3D on for a considerable amount of time without my eyes feeling funny.

So pretty to look at :'D

Alright, maybe you could get the text to go a bit faster, I'm really not all that sure. But you definitely couldn't hold the button in and speed through it lightning fast like you can with typical NPC's, that much I'm sure of. Because I too recall having that problem, though part of me thinks I might have just been tapping B out of desperation.

Edited by JezMM

So, I have purchased the game. I am yet to play it but feel a need to make a post about it. Or, more specifically, GAME's shoddy service regarding it.

While this doesn't affect me directly, it is no secret that GAME has seriously let people down who ordered OOT3D online. Usually their pre-orders turn up a day early. For the majority, it didn't. And apparently quite a lot of people haven't received it today either, and those that have are without the promised pre-order gifts (namely, the limited edition box and poster).

What does affect me though is the fact that, upon going up to the counter in GAME today and saying I had pre-ordered Zelda, the first thing I was told is "we're meant to have some pre-order stuff in but it hasn't shown up". Wonderful. So now, assuming I want the box and poster - which, out of sheer principle, I do - I have to keep going back into the store to see if they've arrived yet. With no clue of when, or even if, they will show up. Ringing them isn't exactly going to be easy either, thanks to the only number they give on the receipt being a generic one that costs 10p a minute and I'd probably have to sit through hours of automated nonsense before I could get anywhere close what I want. My best bet right now is to go back to the shop tomorrow, leave me number with them and tell them to ring me if the stuff comes in, and hope that it shows up before the middle of next week, because I won't be around this area for a good while after that.

So while I understand that it's not always possible for every store to get everything in on time, this sounds like a monumental cock-up everywhere. If so many online people have been screwed over, and now I have too, you can't help but feel GAME have seriously dropped the ball on this one.

I am going to take comfort in the fact that I actually have the game. That's more than some people right now. And thankfully, it'll be one hell of a game.