Awoo.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

DistantJ

So I just played this for the first time today on a friend's 3DS.

I have but one reaction to the 30 minutes or so I played:

IT'S SO PRETTY!

Edited by Spin

I do like how FAITHFUL the game is. Everything looks better, but within the bounds of the original. It doesn't FEEL like such a change, but you can clearly tell in comparison. Nothing is out of place, this is OoT everything is the same but everything is just better.

That's how you do a remake right.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do like how FAITHFUL the game is. Everything looks better, but within the bounds of the original. It doesn't FEEL like such a change, but you can clearly tell in comparison. Nothing is out of place, this is OoT everything is the same but everything is just better.

That's how you do a remake right.

This, times a thousand. Except to me, it does feel like a change from the original in ways, like the touch screen really does change the way you play. The two extra quick-use item slots speed things up and makes things easier, and the touchscreen in general helps out a lot. The new implementation of the Stone (now Shard) of Agony is useful, though it would have been cool to have rumble too.

In many ways, some of the graphics, models, and areas were improved significantly. Most notably, the fishing hole, which is surprising. I don't even like fishing all that much, even in games, but that place looks beautiful in the remake, compared to how simple it was in the original. I think I'm one of the few who'll say this, but I think the remake improves on the original in almost every conceivable way.

The only thing they could have done better imo, was stuff like bug-fixing or improving the graphics even more, and they've already gotten flak for changing as much as they did, from fans from places like Zeldainformer.

Edited by Project Zero

Sure OOT3D was a great improvement over the N64 version, but Resident Evil for the GCN is how you do a remake right.

Having finished it, I WILL say the graphics upgrade gets a little more unfaithful towards the end. Shadow Temple wasn't nearly as sinister and "infinite" looking as it was originally due to a major decrease in fog, particularly during the boat ride, final chamber and boss room. Also kneeeew they'd get rid of the unnerving blood splatters in some of the rooms.

Also they left out one thing from the original...

(End credits spoilers)

Because it fades to go to the 3DS remake credits (beautiful music mind you!), you never hear your long Scarecrow Song played in all the game's instruments like you did originally when you hung around on the The End screen. A minor easter egg, but still one that's missing!

Yet to find the Skyward Sword reference mentioned a few pages ago... if I don't find it during my Master Quest playthrough I'll prolly spoil it for myself and see where it is, lol.

I dunno guys, when I think of remakes I think of games like Metroid Zero Mission or Tomb Raider Anniversary. They each took old games and not only updated the graphics, but added in all of the modern gameplay mechanics and character abilities from newer games as well. OoT 3D is just a graphics update and a boss attack mode. (Yes yes, and Master Quest but some of us have seen that before) Don't get me wrong, I love OoT 3D as much as I loved the original. But that's the thing, only as much as the original. I'll take MZM and TRA over their originals any day.

However, I'm not sure how compelling that argument is given that the Zelda series hasn't gone through as many changes as Metroid or Tomb Raider. In fact the only major thing I can think of from newer games that OoT doesn't have is the various different attacks from Twilight Princess which, incidentally, I would have loved to have seen here. Other then that, OoT has aged really damn well. I guess I'm just used to seeing remakes of games that haven't stood through the test of time.

Again, I am NOT slamming OoT 3D, it's fine for what it is. I just see this as more of a special edition then a remake. (Even if it technically is a remake)

Edited by Speederino

Yet to find the Skyward Sword reference mentioned a few pages ago... if I don't find it during my Master Quest playthrough I'll prolly spoil it for myself and see where it is, lol.

There's two I found.

One is at the start of the game, when you go to see Zelda. The statue you see looks disturbingly like the bottom half of Link before he gets the green suit.

Two, behind a box in Gerudo Fortress.

Another thing they changed is that window in Hyrule Castle's courtyard. Instead of paintings of Mario and Co., there's a mural of a Mario level. It too me a few moments to notice, but I really liked it..

I read on another they left some bugs in to keep it faithful. Is the bottle glitch still in?

Alright, so my story of OoT is a sad one. See, I never had an N64 as a young child (I was like... 4 or 5). I had the PSOne, the cheaper, smaller one. My cousin had the N64, and I had countless thrills watching him play Super Mario 64, taking turns at Yoshi's Story, and duking it out in Smash Bros and Pokemon Stadium. He didn't have OoT, however, so I never got to play it. Fastforward to 2010, I get it on the Wii Shop Channel. Evidently, this is my first Zelda, so I suck at it. I don't get very far, I stop at Dodongo's Cavern because I got Wind Waker, so I move to that for a bit. After countless games and other things, I go back, beat the cavern, and... I cannot find Zora's Domain, so I put it down. The remake comes, I check the hint video, go on, beat the game, and feel a great sense of accomplishment.

I was such a deprived child. I love this game. The ending seriously made me shed a manly tear, it was so good. This really is one of the best games of all time.

Ha, I remember when I was tryying to get the orginal OOT. I remember when we were going to some store, there was a gamestop next to it. I went inside before we went to the other store and they had OOT with the goolden cartridge and everything. I asked my mom if I could get it and she said when we were leaving. So when we lefdt the other store we wen tback to Gamestop to get it, but someone had boughten it ;_;

I got MM on release with the golden cartridge and 3D sticker, though.

I mostly talked about what I felt about the game on Zelda Universe, so I'll just copy/paste.

I never played the original, but from what I've seen, a lot of people see this as more of an enhanced port than a remake. I'm just going by what I've heard. I'll be honest, I loved OoT3D, but I really don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if I had already played the original.

Basically, what's I'm trying to say is that rather than having the game simply be "This is OoT, but better", make it more like "If OoT had been released today, this is what it would be like". I would have preferred for them to add some removed beta stuff, add horseback combat from TP, add to the same combat system from TP, etc.

I just don't like how even though OoT3D was released five years after TP, TP still feels like an advancement. The only reason I like OoT3D more is because OoT is superior to TP in pacing anyway, in my opinion.

Another painting is in Malon's room as Adult Link, behind a pot if I remember correctly.

Okay, I just got Epona. In both races, I intentionally lost by a long shot. Like, over 40 seconds per race. The fuck?

There seems to be a glitch where Ingo disappears if he gets too far ahead, and then you win even if the invisible Ingo wins. Or so I've heard.

There seems to be a glitch where Ingo disappears if he gets too far ahead, and then you win even if the invisible Ingo wins. Or so I've heard.

That seems to be the case. I've pulled off the trick several times, and it's pretty helpful seeing as I couldn't beat him at all when I tried to.

Double post. I completed the game a couple of days ago and it definitely did get better toward the end. The Water Temple was quite good (though I understand how dreadful it would be if you still had to pause to switch boots), the Shadow Temple was fun if not a bit on the easy side and the whole part of the game extending from Gerudo Valley to the end of the Spirit Temple was also really good. Ganon's Tower was meh, but on the whole the later portions were really good. Only thing is, I went back to continue playing my file instead of playing Master Quest, and what's this? The game doesn't save after the Final Boss? How lame, especially for an open world game. Fine for 1998 but incredibly weak for 2011. I wanted to continue playing after the story was over, not start a new file on hard mode.

The game doesn't save after the Final Boss? How lame, especially for an open world game. Fine for 1998 but incredibly weak for 2011. I wanted to continue playing after the story was over, not start a new file on hard mode.

I don't really see how that would work.

The Door of Time is sealed along with the Master Sword. Link returns to the child time period and Navi leaves.

If the game picked up in some sort of epilogue then he wouldn't be able to switch times and therefore he couldn't go back to get all the collectibles missed.

I agree that it kinda sucks, but I don't think it's something they could just add to the remake.

I don't really see how that would work.

The Door of Time is sealed along with the Master Sword. Link returns to the child time period and Navi leaves.

If the game picked up in some sort of epilogue then he wouldn't be able to switch times and therefore he couldn't go back to get all the collectibles missed.

I agree that it kinda sucks, but I don't think it's something they could just add to the remake.

Games do that sort of thing all the time. The story is over so they switch the focus from that to gameplay. You just get given a message like "Now you can explore and discover all the secrets in Hyrule. Have fun!", or you're treated to a very small and non-canon story which lets you continue. For example, in Super Paper Mario your guide, Tippi, leaves at the end of the game thus making it impossible to go back to some areas and do some things. So then you go talk to a guy you met earlier and buy a robotic Tippi clone from which lets you carry on playing. Something like that definitely wouldn't have gone amiss. It would work because it would be a non-canon extension to the gameplay so that your experience doesn't have to get cut-short by the way you chose to play the story.

Edited by Blue Blood

In fairness, you can basically go back and do everything in terms of sidequests anyway. It's not like you're locked in Ganon's castle at the end, you can just go back and do stuff elsewhere.

That said, it is a bit lame how the game doesn't even acknowledge you completing it, but eh. I never really thought about it.

Games do that sort of thing all the time. The story is over so they switch the focus from that to gameplay. You just get given a message like "Now you can explore and discover all the secrets in Hyrule. Have fun!", or you're treated to a very small and non-canon story which lets you continue. For example, in Super Paper Mario your guide, Tippi, leaves at the end of the game thus making it impossible to go back to some areas and do some things. So then you go talk to a guy you met earlier and buy a robotic Tippi clone from which lets you carry on playing. Something like that definitely wouldn't have gone amiss. It would work because it would be a non-canon extension to the gameplay so that your experience doesn't have to get cut-short by the way you chose to play the story.

I know it wouldn't have to be canon or anything, but

contriving some reason for you to be able to go back and forth through time without the Master Sword would be difficult. They can't come up with silly excuses like they did for Super Paper Mario. Not to mention there are other sidequests that only make sense in context with the story and couldn't work even in a non-canon epilogue.

Epona, for example, isn't necessary. You can complete the game without her, but if you did the quest to get her in an epilogue then it wouldn't make sense. Ingo is a servant of Ganondorf and was going to present Epona as a present- if Ganondorf was already defeated then they would have to change that.

There are other things like this in the game.

Besides, what's the satisfaction of even playing an epilogue when you know it isn't canon? And how is your experience being cut-short by how you chose to play the story if you can always backtrack through the last dungeon and do anything you missed?

Edited by Blue Blood

There's no reason not to do it because all it does is extend your playing experience.

They wouldn't have to come up with an explanation beyond "continue playing the game".

Load save slot.

Turn around.

Walk out of Gannon's Castle.

???

Continue playing the game!

Simple. Why should the game act like you beat it, and make everything you do no only non-cannon, but generally make the hardcore Zelda fans pissed off beyond all hell because that fucks with the timeline, but now nothing makes sense at all and it'd be just a really stupid idea in terms of story anyways.

Just fucking do more stuff. It's not especially difficult.

• Thumbs Up 2

Load save slot.

Turn around.

Walk out of Gannon's Castle.

???

Continue playing the game!

Simple. Why should the game act like you beat it, and make everything you do no only non-cannon, but generally make the hardcore Zelda fans pissed off beyond all hell because that fucks with the timeline, but now nothing makes sense at all and it'd be just a really stupid idea in terms of story anyways.

Just fucking do more stuff. It's not especially difficult.

Did I say it was difficult? Don't think I did. It doesn't fuck with anything. Not when it takes place outside of the canon-events. Especially optional things. It's just a huge peeve of mine when a game, especially a story driven one, doesn't have a gameplay acknowledgement of completion. They could have actually gone and added a couple of post-game side quests just to add to things that you can do. Anything is better than unlocking hard mode.

Edited by Blue Blood