Awoo.

This never got addressed, does Sonic Colors on Wii run in 30 or 60 frames per second?

Hero of Legend

No preview addresses this, and a few here of course have played it.

Probably not thread worthy, but I think it's a question that needs to be answered.

I feel that fast paced games like Sonic games, racers, fighting games, etc feel so much better in 60 frames, but it's not the end of the world if it's in 30 frames.

The only Sonic game that ran in 60 frames all the time was Zero Gravity (at least on Wii), '06 and Unleashed PS3 tried to run in 60 but obviously never sustained it for long.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Hero of Legend

SA2, Heroes, and Shadow were in 60 FPS too.

I also feel Sonic games are better in 60 FPS. For some reason though, I think Colors is going to be 30 FPS.

No preview addresses this, and a few here of course have played it.

Probably not thread worthy, but I think it's a question that needs to be answered.

I feel that fast paced games like Sonic games, racers, fighting games, etc feel so much better in 60 frames, but it's not the end of the world if it's in 30 frames.

The only Sonic game that ran in 60 frames all the time was Zero Gravity (at least on Wii), '06 and Unleashed PS3 tried to run in 60 but obviously never sustained it for long.

Your thoughts?

I'm not an expert but I have played it, while I can't say the frame rate I can say I never experienced any lag or slowdown in the slightest, the game may have sacrificed a full 60 FPS for this since it didn't look as "smooth" as 60 fps and reminded me of the rate Secret Rings runs at (which was 30 fps) so I believe it was 30 and not 60, however I would sacrifice 60 fps personally if it in result means this game continues to have no slowdown. Sonic's animations don't look fluid enough in my opinion or the world for a full blown 60 fps but the game still moves gorgeously but I think it'd be safe to assume the game as of right now at the E3 build was running at a constant 30 fps.

To be honest, I don't think it really matters all that much, so long as it never (or seldom) drops below 30 and is V-Synced; if there's one thing I really can't stand in terms of graphics, it's frame-tearing (see Red Faction Guerilla for an example).

A constant 60FPS would be nice, however it's certainly not essential.

Edited by Extaticus

I think running at a full 60FPS made SA2 look a slagton better than SA1 when I first got them. It's certainly nice if it can be achieved, but it's only a game breaker if it dips to absurdly low level. Right Jungle Joyride?

Edited by Aquaslash

I think running at a full 60FPS made SA2 look a slagton better than SA1 when I first got them. It's certainly nice if it can be achieved, but it's only a game breaker if it dips to absurdly low level. Right Jungle Joyride?

Funfact: Jungle Joyride 1-2 (DLC level) had had objects crafttiy removed from certain areas where the framerate got real bad. Specifically the Aero-Chaser sequence and that one pillar in the ocean than makes everything grind to a halt. Why they didn't bother to change things in such a way in the normal version of the stage I do not know.

Even if Colours is 30fps (which is most likely), it's not going to be a real problem. When a game is designed to run at 30fps, it will most likely still look smooth. SatSR seems to be a very strange exception, because that looked terribly choppy regardless.

Edited by Tropical Resort Zone

Honestly, I can never tell until someone informs me otherwise; I'd rather have a solid 30fps then possible slowdown.

You should be very glad at the solid 30 fps we're getting. This game uses the Hedgehog engine and looks like the 360 Unleashed in terms of graphics! I mean, look at the detail on the backgrounds. It's incredible that Wii can handle all this!!

It also shows that Wii Unleashed was really half-assed.

You should be very glad at the solid 30 fps we're getting. This game uses the Hedgehog engine and looks like the 360 Unleashed in terms of graphics! I mean, look at the detail on the backgrounds. It's incredible that Wii can handle all this!!

How is the Hedgehog Engine being used?

I thought it was a 360/PS3 rendering engine only...

In any case 30fps is good enough if its smooth and unchanging.

I would still like 60fps, but a consistant 30fps is better than a fluctuating 60fps.

Who knows....the may improve it to run at 60fps by the time its released.

How is the Hedgehog Engine being used?

I thought it was a 360/PS3 rendering engine only...

In any case 30fps is good enough if its smooth and unchanging.

I would still like 60fps, but a consistant 30fps is better than a fluctuating 60fps.

Who knows....the may improve it to run at 60fps by the time its released.

Yeah, I thought it was a PS360 engine-only, did Sega officially say this?! O_o

Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with 30fps, I just wanted to be sure. :)

Thanks Jason!

Edited by Hero of Legend

I highly doubt the Wii can handle a Graphics engine of that Magnitude. The H.E. was made to produce real time Global Illumination, to make graphics almost CGI like. We'll never see that on the Wii >.>

^ Not that I mind in the slightest; Sonic Colours looks gorgeous.

The fact that the Wii can handle a game of this calibre is highly impressive after what we've assumed from other developers poor efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1

^ Not that I mind in the slightest; Sonic Colours looks gorgeous.

The fact that the Wii can handle a game of this calibre is highly impressive after what we've assumed from other developers poor efforts.

If done properly (Ala SMG and Colours), the Wii's graphics are on a par with high-end PS2 games. If not superior.

Developers just look at the Wii and think "Motions controls....can't handle good graphics, so we can get away with being lazy on the polygons"

Its a damn shame.

This game uses the Hedgehog engine
When was this confirmed? I've never heard that.
and looks like the 360 Unleashed in terms of graphics!
I didn't think so. I know you've said you played it, but to me it doesn't look anywhere near that good in the screenshots or direct footage.

Granted, it still looks quite good for a Wii game, but I don't think that it's on the same level as the HD version of Unleashed.

Guest Miles Per Hour

Your thoughts?

Sonic 06 runs at 60fps on both Xbox 360 and PS3 though the PS3 version plays a bit faster. And Unleashed runs at 60fps on the PS3 compared to the Xbox 360's 35fps and slows down in the same places as the 360 version, just more noticeable on the PS3 due to the high frame rate.

Anyway.... I think it will run at 30 - 50 fps since it's the Hedgehog engine running on the Wii.

When was this confirmed? I've never heard that.

Look at the footage, it's clearly obvious it's the Hedgehog engine.

• Bad Quality Post 2

How is it "clearly obvious"?

The Hedgehog Engine was not originally designed to be able to run on the Wii's hardware, and was specifically tailored for the 360 and PS3 versions of Unleashed. It's designed to quickly stream data and utilize effects like global illumination- something this game doesn't have. I don't know why people jump to these conclusions. It's like people think that just because a game looks pretty, it has to be using the Hedgehog engine, since no other graphics engine in existence can deliver good visuals to a Sonic game.

We already know the engine is new(whether it meant gameplay and graphics or both), so it's possible the graphics engine is too. Or it could be borrowed from one of the other Wii games, likely one that the storybook team made.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's not a gameplay engine, it's a graphics engine that is actually more powerful than the Wii can handle.

It's not the Hedgehog Engine. It's actually more obvious that it's not than that it is.

It was actually confirmed in an interview that that this game is using an engine made specifically for it, which is interesting because I previously thought it was running on an updated version of the one seen in SatBK.

This game also has no GI, self shadowing, motion blur, HDR, or edge lighting. Unless I'm mistaken, it also appears to not be using Havok Animation, I rather liked how Sonic would transition between animations dynamically.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was actually confirmed in an interview that that this game is using an engine made specifically for it, which is interesting because I previously thought it was running on an updated version of the one seen in SatBK.

This game also has no GI, self shadowing, motion blur, HDR, or edge lighting. Unless I'm mistaken, it also appears to not be using Havok Animation, I rather liked how Sonic would transition between animations dynamically.

If you mean no self-shadowing as in the circle shadow under Sonic, a gameplay video shows him with a proper shadow.

The same video (as well as others) also shows blurring when he boosts, in fact it appears not to be the cheap "afterimage" style blurring:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-sonic-colors/700286

HDR though I'm a tad sketchy on the precise effect, to me means very bright glowing, and there are bits in the game with strong lights, like Sweet Mountain on the corners of boxes, and in one section where Sonic grinds in a tunnel, here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-sonic-colors/700486

11bt0rn.jpg

2cfdxd2.jpg

Self Shadowing means that one part of a character casts a shadow on another part of the character, such as an arm casting a shadow on a torso.

I can't say for sure, but it looks to me more like it's doing a post processed zoom blur rather than genuine motion blur:

blur-taj-mblur-zoom.jpg

I say this primarily because it blurs things that appear to be too far away to be much effected by real motion blur.

And the bloom in the second video is being caused by the camera not having as much dynamic range as the TV, the game doesn't actually do that.

Throw this into google translate and it'll make clear to you how obviously not the HE this is:

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20090410_110682.html

It does leave out one thing, and that is motion blur. Unleashed does something tricky to get it and it doesn't show up in screenshots. If you want to see that in detail, beat one of Unleashed's bosses and do a quick step during the post defeat slow down.

• Thumbs Up 1

If there's one thing that I know about Sonic Colours, it's that we DS owners will be laughing once we find that our copy of the game runs at a higher frame rate than the Wii version, and is more fun to play. :)

If there's one thing that I know about Sonic Colours, it's that we DS owners will be laughing once we find that our copy of the game runs at a higher frame rate than the Wii version, and is more fun to play. :)

Except one is Rush 3 with added moves, and the other is Unleashed 2 HD on the Wii.

Last I checked, I had more fun with Unleashed HD than Rush 1-2.