Awoo.

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Marcello

Trailer is here: http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=17894

The wait for this game has been even longer than for Kirby Wii. That last time we got a Kid Icarus game was 1991 for the Gameboy, so it's been 19 years!

The gameplay has changed from a mix between Zelda and Metroid to a game like Sin and Punishment. I'm not sure if that was the best way to go, but the game definetly looks fun. I'm hoping if this game sells well, we'll stationary console sequels.

The story seems to be about the return of Meduas and Palutena given Pit the ability to fly, but only for 5 mintues each. Pit has to fight against the underworld army (They're attacking the town xD) and, well I guess Medusa in the end. The trailer also shows a boss fight(?) against Cerberus, which looks pretty fun.

From the looks of it, the game will be a launch title.

This game stole the show for me.

I was never a big fan of Kid Icarus and I got a little tired of everyone saying "we want Kid Icarus Wii!", so when Uprising was announced I was satisfied that people would stop moaning. But I was also amazed. This looked a gajillion times better than I thought it would and it cannot wait to get my hands on it. Seriously, my estimisations of the Kid Icarus series shot right up after that trailer and it's one of the main reasons I want a 3DS and I want it NOW.

Kind of different for me. When I first saw Pit (I knew the character before, but I didn't care much for him) in Brawl I thought "Woah this guy is awesome!" So I bought both games xD After that I was waiting for a sequel like crazy, but my expectations weren't very high. I only thought he had a small chance of returning, because he was in Brawl.

When I heard everyone getting excited for a Kid Icarus trailer I almost exploded with joy ^^

I do wonder why Sakurai (Oh I forgot to mention that in my opening post, but I'm sure evreyone knows that ^^) is making this and not Kirby. When was the last time he made a Kirby game? Is he still involved with them?

I'm excited since this is even better than I hoped from those Kid Icarus game rumors that went around. Sakurai talked that Pit and Sonic were the two most interesting characters they implemented in terms of how it went, for Pit they had to make an "imaginary" fake timeline of evolution for him of how he would change over the years and what type of character he would of become and how his gameplay style would of changed over time at Nintendo, I guess after doing all of that they were interested in making the game they believed Kid Icarus would evolve into, and it looks amazing.

I even love the cheesy voice acting, I think it actually adds to the charm of the game.

I think Sakurai's fed up with Kirby. Kirby is his own creation but he keeps getting messed around and he didn't have as much freedom with it as he would have liked.

So in order to get more freedom Sakurai split off from Nintendo and formed his own independent company. Sora are funded by Nintendo but they can develop for whoever they like.

Anyway I'm pretty stoked for this. It really reminds me of Kingdom Hearts for some reason (and I mean aside from Pit being such yaoi bait)

Palutena's voice was great. Pit's voice was very painfully cheesy but it seems like the voice worked anyway, because even people who hate cheesy VA are happy with how the game is looking.

19 year wait! That's just epic. I wonder if Kid Icarus will stick around now?

I hope this one doesn't bomb in Japan anyway. Considering how popular SSBB Pit is in Japan, I think it'll do quite well.

PS. I love that we have a new excuse to say SAKURAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIII. Pit's voice is one example.

Edited by SuperLink

I very well my be the only person who thinks Pit's voice is cool ^^ Is it the same one as in Brawl? It sounds like it..

I really loved the music in the trailers. If the final game has such awesome music that'll be great...

Is it the same one as in Brawl? It sounds like it..

I thought it was too, but noone else seems to agree with me >>

I really loved the music in the trailers. If the final game has such awesome music that'll be great...

Agreed.

That reminds me, I'm glad they stuck with Pit's Brawl design:

pit.jpg

I think it's a wise move because it looks pretty dang cool, plus it's what newcomers to the Kid Icarus series will recognise from Brawl. I don't think a more "mature" Pit would've worked as well, like some people wanted.

I kinda wish it had adventure levels sprinkled in with the on rails stuff. I've always pictured this series evolving into something a bit Zeldaish, not Starfoxish. It does look pretty cool and I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm just not too wowed by on rail games............except maybe Starfox.

I kinda wish it had adventure levels sprinkled in with the on rails stuff. I've always pictured this series evolving into something a bit Zeldaish, not Starfoxish. It does look pretty cool and I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm just not too wowed by on rail games............except maybe Starfox.

I think only the flying stages on on-rails, there are on-foot stages that kinda' look like Kingdom Hearts and we see swimming, boss fights, battling in cities and fortresses, and it turning into an Eggplant.

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I only watched the trailer once before but after reading what you wrote I went and watched it again and it doesn't look like the ground stuff is on rails. Well that makes me a bit more hyped for the game. :)

I don't think it's railed. Sakurai had mentioned the controls for the game, and said the slide pad controls Pit, the L button fires and the stylus controls the camera. You wouldn't have camera control and the ability to control him like that if it were just railed, would you?

It's also mentioned in the video "you can move around dynamically"

Personally, I'm really hyped for the game. I wasn't expecting to see it, so it was probably one of the biggest surprises of the show.

I tried the original Kid Icarus on Brawl and my god was that a boring game. I thought all the people asking for a new one were crazy, wanting more of that. I suppose I just didn't see the potential Pit had, because this looks amazing. I didn't think they'd ever make it but I was so excited to see it; it completely exceeded any expectations. Yeah Pit's voice is incredibly cheesy but that's the best thing about it, and Palutena on the other hand has an excellent VA. The gameplay looks like tons of fun. I just can't wait for this. I actually think it might be my most anticipated 3DS title.

So in order to get more freedom Sakurai split off from Nintendo and formed his own independent company. Sora are funded by Nintendo but they can develop for whoever they like.

I doubt that. If Nintendo is footing the bill they're not going to want Sora producing 360 and PS3 games. I think what you were trying to say is that they can develop whatever they like, rather than having to focus on one franchise.

Edit: Yeeep. Looks like it. 78% owned by Nintendo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Sora

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I doubt that. If Nintendo is footing the bill they're not going to want Sora producing 360 and PS3 games. I think what you were trying to say is that they can develop whatever they like, rather than having to focus on one franchise.

Edit: Yeeep. Looks like it. 78% owned by Nintendo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Sora

Aah.. despite that I swear I read an interview where Sakurai said he can develop for whatever he likes, he just prefers Nintendo.

In any case I can't find it, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I honestly had no interest in Kid Icarus before this; I never played his two games, and even in Brawl he was just one of those guys that I didn't know anything about (along with the Fire Emblem characters, the Ice Climbers, and ROB).

But this looks pretty damn awesome. Fast-paced action, both on the ground and in the air, and it seems to have a good mix of cheesy action ("Bark like a dog!" is awesomely bad) and Greek epic.

I'm excited for this, but I'm not gonna lie, it sounds really fucking complicated to control for a portable system. It looks really nice and I'm sure it'll be good, but I fear it might control clunkily like a lot of 3D games on the DS.

I tried the original Kid Icarus on Brawl and my god was that a boring game. I thought all the people asking for a new one were crazy, wanting more of that. I suppose I just didn't see the potential Pit had, because this looks amazing. I didn't think they'd ever make it but I was so excited to see it; it completely exceeded any expectations.

Well, the Brawl demo doesn't do the game justice. I've beaten it twice so far and got the best ending. To me, it's a very fun game, though it can be quite frustrating at times- like when you get to the Overworld and encounter those little thieves that take hard-earned items away from you, or the Reaper enemies. And don't even get me started on the Eggplant Wizards.

The only time it gets boring for me is when you find yourself grinding for hearts in the dungeons so that you can get the best items(and ending). Otherwise I think it's too difficult to be boring, if that makes any sense. You'll always be forced to give the game your undivided attention because it's VERY unforgiving. It's stimulating though; it'll piss you off, but you've got unlimited continues and will persevere as long as you're patient. There's a real sense of reward to it, actually.

Yeah Pit's voice is incredibly cheesy but that's the best thing about it, and Palutena on the other hand has an excellent VA.
I like Pit's voice, but it sounds a tad too old for him. He's supposed to be a little boy(although he grows up in some of the endings, but that doesn't count!) and the English voice doesn't really reflect that.

I prefer the Japanese voice, because the actress actually makes him sound like a kid. Also, she's the same woman who voices Detective Conan, which is cool.

But this looks pretty damn awesome. Fast-paced action, both on the ground and in the air, and it seems to have a good mix of cheesy action ("Bark like a dog!" is awesomely bad) and Greek epic.

I agree for the most part, but if it being tied to Greek legend is a real selling point to you, then prepare to be disappointed. It mostly has a theology of its own. A very, VERY fucked up theology where there are evil Groucho Marx faces that fly around, and strange wizards that turn you into an eggplant so you can't attack.

There are references to Greek myth though, of course. The game's namesake is one of them, as well as the villain, Medusa, and some enemies like the Harpies. The Cerberus-like monster appears to be Twinbellows, which was also in the NES game.

Edited by The Soldier

I agree for the most part, but if it being tied to Greek legend is a real selling point to you, then prepare to be disappointed. It mostly has a theology of its own.
Well, I'm not expecting an accurate rendition of the legend (that Pit can be turned into an eggplant with legs is proof enough), but more playing around with the basic elements and style of it and having some epic scenes and fights involving them. Like I said, it's the mix of epic legend and cheesy action.

I remember the first Kid Icarus. I think I still have it somewhere.

This looks like they took Kingdom Hearts, Sin and Punishment, and threw Pit in the mix.

One more reason to get a 3DS, hopefully this is a launch title, anyone know?

Aah.. despite that I swear I read an interview where Sakurai said he can develop for whatever he likes, he just prefers Nintendo.

In any case I can't find it, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I think perhaps I know the answer to that, it's been said that Nintendo didn't actually fund a studio for Sakurai until after Brawl was released. It was originally Sora Ltd. and was indeed an independent company.

Oh god, I cannot stop watching the trailer for this now.

The epic music, the awesome looking gameplay, the cheesy dialogue of pure win... it's amazing however many times you watch it. At this rate Uprising is going to be one of my new favourite games ever, which is saying a lot for a franchise I didn't really care about until just a few days ago.

Heck, Pit has even taken over my avatar and Paletuna is my new one true love!

I want this game. Simple as.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit I have not seen this art before.

Can I just say they look fucking awesome.

I'd also like to say that I've been supporting "Palutena for SSB4" for quite a while xD the SSB cast is really lacking on the lady side. All it has is Peach, Zelda, Samus, Nana, and Marth. :(

• Thumbs Up 4