Awoo.

Sonic games that could benefit from 3D?

Chaos Walker

With the reveal of the 3Ds, we've seen some massively improved graphical and processing capabilities, as well as some confirmed ports of some N64 games. It would seem, infact, that the 3Ds is capable of capable of PS2 level graphics. With this in mind, a whole array of game are opened up as possibly coming to Nintendo's new handheld. It's been discussed in another topic that it's possible for both adventure game to be ported on one cartridge to the 3Ds. But would this be the best candidate for a 3D upgrade? Which game do you think would benefit from the addition of 3D?

It's hard for me to think of a Sonic game that would significantly benefit from this; In fact, I don't see significant value in the 3D fad at all just yet, unless it will serve as the progenitor of far more advanced projection techniques. The feeling of "depth" it's supposed to give off is very limited, both by your position from the screen and the edges of the screen itself, thus immersion in the medium is no better achieved than it would be if you were to play or watch that same exact thing in 2D. You're basically getting charged out the ass for a headache-inducing virtual pop-up book. No thank you; Again, until we can better simulate actual depth, wherein characters and objects are capable of literally popping out of the screen and be seen correctly from all angles or something, I'm sticking with my 2D. tongue.gif

Adventure and Adventure 2 would be alright, but with the announcement of the PSN and XBLA release, I just think that these 2 are getting too many re-releases. But I can't really think of any games that would actually be able to utilize the 3D correctly. I think it would be better for them to just make a new Sonic game built to use 3D.

No Sonic games really pop into mind when I think "OMG this game just HAS to be in 3D!!!". Maybe the Adventures, but I think an original 3DS game would work better. As a matter of fact, I'm not really too big a fan of anything 3D. I despise 3D movies, so I probably won't be too big a fan of the 3DS or any other future 3D gaming.

I really can't think of any existing Sonic game that would really benefit from 3D. I'd rather they work on a new game...maybe do something like in the Rushes, where you occasionally jump to paths in the foreground or background, only with more of it.

Secret Rings.

Imagining Pirate Storm, the Sky level, Dino Jungle, and basically the whole game in 3D makes me go 8D besides also that some of the effects like the Gargoyle trails, the cannonballs being fired at Sonic riding a rocket, the surfing sections, the triceratops chases, the Ifrit battle, the final stage, Skeleton Dome... It would all look so awesome in 3D.

Playing 3D Sonic games is nice, but what would be even BETTER is if they were in 3D!!!

Secret Rings.

Thing is, secret rings is a Wii game. I don't know if the 3Ds could handle the graphics. Aside from that though, an on-rails, rununtilithurts game would probably look very good in 3D, and the tilt controls could be retained thanks to the gyro sensor.

I really can't think of any existing Sonic game that would really benefit from 3D.

Now if only Sonic X-treme hadn't tragicaly died a horrible death. That would look nice.

Now here's a game where judging distance is hard.

Edited by Chaos Walker
  • Thumbs Up 1

Adventure and Adventure 2 would be alright, but with the announcement of the PSN and XBLA release, I just think that these 2 are getting too many re-releases. But I can't really think of any games that would actually be able to utilize the 3D correctly. I think it would be better for them to just make a new Sonic game built to use 3D.

Sonic Adventure 2 has only been re-released twice and one of those was a remake of the Dreamcast version, with two player modes and had enhanced graphics. Sonic Adventure 1 has had the most releases, and since like you said that it is getting the XBLA and PSN release in HD then it would be better if Sonic Adventure 2 got the a release for the 3DS. Plus if it was released for the it, then I hope SEGA keep the multiplayer. If there should be a Sonic game that should get a 3DS release it would have to be Sonic CD. Nuff' Said.

Edited by Super Yoshi

Adventure 2 has only been re-released once, and it was re-released in the same year that the original was released :/.

EDIT: Whoops, beat by Super Yoshi.

Edited by Chaos Rush

I think Special Stages in the style of Sonic 2, Heroes, etc could be pretty cool looking in 3D. You'd have Sonic running forward in this crazy ass dimension with rings and bombs and all that stuff popping out of the screen at you. Wouldn't really work as a full game though.

Edited by Chili Dawg

I think Special Stages in the style of Sonic 2, Heroes, etc could be pretty cool looking in 3D. You'd have Sonic running forward in this crazy ass dimension with rings and bombs and all that stuff popping out of the screen at you. Wouldn't really work as a full game though.

If we had the special stages from Sonic 2 in a 3D Sonic game for the 3DS then I think a lot of people would be having fits and stuff like that, because imagin what they were like in the MD style and then think what they would be like in full 3D. And the ones in Sonic Heroes would be just as bad.

Sonic Adventure 2 has only been re-released twice and one of those was a remake of the Dreamcast version, with two player modes and had enhanced graphics. Sonic Adventure 1 has had the most releases, and since like you said that it is getting the XBLA and PSN release in HD then it would be better if Sonic Adventure 2 got the a release for the 3DS. Plus if it was released for the it, then I hope SEGA keep the multiplayer. If there should be a Sonic game that should get a 3DS release it would have to be Sonic CD. Nuff' Said.

Adventure 1 is becoming the new Sonic 1, calling it.

Adventure 1 is becoming the new Sonic 1, calling it.

I really think that will become the case since Sonic's Mega Drive games has been whored out on every possibly console out today so I won't be suprised if SA1 & SA2 was it's replacement for whoring out to every possibly console out today

Edited by Crash The Tomb Raider

I really think that will become the case since Sonic's Mega Drive games has been whored out on every possibly console out today so I won't be suprised if SA1 & SA2 was it's replacement for whoring out to every possibly console out today

Then they might actually IMPROVE them a little, right?..................................RIGHT?.........

)'=

Edited by Black Spy

Then they might actually IMPROVE them a little, right?..................................RIGHT?.........

)'=

Oh Gawd that image IT BURRNNNNSSS!!!!

Nahh I really doubt it if Sega was to improve a little and was to port the Sonic Adventure, pass it off as a Dreamcast original but they use the gamecube version instead for the 3DS but removes the Game Gear games out oh shi- that happening with the current XBLA/PSN version but using the PC version instead of the dreamcast version.

Edited by Crash The Tomb Raider

I really can't think of any existing Sonic game that would really benefit from 3D. I'd rather they work on a new game...maybe do something like in the Rushes, where you occasionally jump to paths in the foreground or background, only with more of it.

You know what's funny about when they did that in the Rushs is that that game uses an orthographic camera, meaning that Sonic looks bigger not because he's closer to the camera, but because they just scaled him up. From some reason, I find this to be pretty funny.

They did that kind of duel plane stuff back in the day on the Virtual Boy, it's not really that impressive. A few levels in Sonic 3 would really benefit from this, primarily Lava Reef Zone Act 2 (Especially when the Death Egg sets the place on fire), the two Death Eggs Zone Acts (They have some crazy backgrounds), the Death Egg boss fight (Giant Robot in the background), and probably Doomsday Zone as well, if they were to add asteroids in different planes.

Going back to Sonic X-Treme and making it for the 3DS would be amazing.

Going back to Sonic X-Treme and making it for the 3DS would be amazing.

But then we would have to bring Sonic Crackers too. And who knows how good that would be.

Though I wish to see an improved 3D Blast on 3DS...

Oh and 3D Sonic 1-3 would be epic.

Wasn't Crackers just a Chaotix prototype? It plays just the same as Chaotix did.

Anyways. I wrote in the Sonic 3DS topic that Xtreme should go 3D. I wasn't being entirely serious, I think it'll never happen. But what if it did? The game would probably need to start from scratch, but you could bring level concepts over from the existing work. Since the levels have length and involve strange gravity looking effects (running along a level that wraps around a sphere) it's a good candidate for this kind of effect. I dunno how fun Xtreme would actually be though. I'd like it completed because it's one of those missing moments in Sonic's history, but this was a pre-Mario 64 concept for an open platformer. It might not measure up.

And I fully agree on Secret Rings. The game is about running forward, and having obstacles and rings get closer as they fly by would be awesome.

Edited by Dabnikz

Ew, 3D!

I sure do hate the fact that everyone is turning to 3D nowadays. I personally hate 3D effects. They give me headaches and make me focus on other aspects of the movie/game than the feature I'm supposed to be focusing on. That would be a terrible thing in a Sonic game; while you're looking at a pretty waterfall in 3D, you run into a Badnik and die. No thanks.

I really hope that the 3D option on many games to come will be optional. I don't want to give up gaming because of chronic headaches and be stuck in Generation 7 for the rest of my life.

Ew, 3D!

I sure do hate the fact that everyone is turning to 3D nowadays. I personally hate 3D effects. They give me headaches and make me focus on other aspects of the movie/game than the feature I'm supposed to be focusing on. That would be a terrible thing in a Sonic game; while you're looking at a pretty waterfall in 3D, you run into a Badnik and die. No thanks.

I really hope that the 3D option on many games to come will be optional. I don't want to give up gaming because of chronic headaches and be stuck in Generation 7 for the rest of my life.

The Nintendo 3DS can let you turn the 3D effect off.

That would be a terrible thing in a Sonic game; while you're looking at a pretty waterfall in 3D, you run into a Badnik and die. No thanks.

How can you possibly miss the badnik? Unless it's behind the waterfall (in which case you should be safe anyhow) it will be popping out even more so than the waterfall. Closer things look closer, so I can't see how you could run into the badnik without seeing it unless you actually look away from the screen to see the waterfall.

That would be a terrible thing in a Sonic game; while you're looking at a pretty waterfall in 3D, you run into a Badnik and die. No thanks.

No disrespect, but wouldn't that be your fault?

'Officer you can't blame this car crash on me, it was that pretty waterfall over there distracting me!'

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I wasn't too syched about bringing Adventure 2 to 3Ds, but I just realized that it would mean a portable version of the full chao garden...

:)